Start by marking “Things I Want You to Know” as Want to Read:
Things I Want You to Know

Things I Want You to Know

A poignant, heartwarming novel of love, loss and hope for the future, for fans of Me Before You.

How do you pick up the pieces after the worst has happened? When Nick Deegan's wife, Kate, dies, leaving him with two small children to raise alone, he has no idea how he'll manage. But on the day of her funeral, he discovers a book Kate left for him, Things I Want You to Know

Published June 11th 2014 by Hachette Books Ireland (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Things I Want You to Know, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Things I Want You to Know

Diana Newnham
Nov 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nick has lost his way in life and his wife Kate has told him to leave the family home and his very young children and sort himself out. During his period of soul searching, Kate becomes terminally ill and eventually dies.

Nick returns home to take on responsibility for his children who are traumatised by the loss of their mother, especially Emma who is convinced Nick will leave again.

Kate has left Nick a video telling him he must find himself and move on with the children. Not an easy task as Nic
Tea Leaves and Reads

This book…. This book will have you laughing one moment, and tearfully emotional the next. It is just a stunning read and the whole book traverses the peaks and falls of loss and parenting artfully with the right amount of humour and the right amount of respect. I think that this is the first of her books that I’ve ever read and after reading this one I’ll definitely be exploring the others.

Nick and his wife were separated when she sadly passed away after a short battle with cancer. She leaves
Joanne
Jun 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic read

I loved this book from start to finish. It made me laugh, made me cry & kept me turning the pages. Highly recommend
Melanie Gray
Beautiful heartfelt story. Just felt the crude language and blasphemy did not fit and was so unnecessary!
Jane Dicker
Jan 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic!

This is the best book ive read in ages...and I read a LOT of books. A modern day Marve Binchy with believeable characters. Love this book.
christina
Jan 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful reading

Made me laugh and cry a wonderful book to lose yourself in

The story flowed and was so real .
Becky Macphee
Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a rollercoaster of emotions, grief, happiness, the laugh out loud and tears!
brenda young
Mar 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great book

This is the first book by this author that I have read and if it is anything to go by it won't be the last . Funny bits sad bits but overall just a great book.
Claire
Mar 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Good...

This book is a lovely heart warming story of love even after death. However I personally found it a bit of a slow burner!
Kelly Spillane
Mar 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nick hasn't had an easy ride, and now he's lost his wife, Kate to cancer. Now he is faced with bringing up their to children, Emma and Liam alone. But Kate doesn't want to be forgotten and leaves Nick with a book that she has put together, title, Things I Want You To Know. The book contains everything from family photos to baking and even the children's routines. With the help of Kate's book, Nick manages to plan Emma's Communion and even brave the local Mother and Toddler group.

Although Nick d
Tonks
Apr 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Martina Reilly truly knows how to write about seriouse occasions and paths in a way that makes you feel the pain but still lets enough space for your own feelings towards the characters.
I loved this book (though it is not Martina's best book, in my opinion) and it was so well written that it took me not so long (after I had the make a pause because of some business I had to take care of) to finish it.
I think the only think I would have to criticise is that somehow the ending was so sudden. This
Alwyn
Jun 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book it brought me to tears of sadness to tears of laughter. The main character Nick has to deal with events that happened in his past, losing his wife and trying to be the best dad he can be for his two young children. You are sent on an emotional roller coaster from the beginning. I felt the author did very well in showing how death affects people in different ways from Nick to his children and to the rest of the family and friends. I loved the friendship between Nick and Larry al ...more
Barbara-ann
Nov 21, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Im a huge Martina Reilly fan and I have read all her books and just loved them. This one didn't disappoint .From the beginning it grabbed me into the story . I love that it was written from a male perspective and I completely fell in love with his kids. I cried and I laughed and I cried some more! If i could find one negative is the story ended too soon and i didn't want it to end .
Kate Tobin
Aug 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a wonderful book with characters like Nick and Emma . Kate runs his life following her death . She shows him his past, present and future. The other people in the book build on what is a wonderful story . I laughed and I cried . Things I want you to know has made me want to read more of Martina Reilly's books. Do you care to join me
Adri
Jul 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I did not quite know what to expect. And I was pleasantly surprised. The book read well, I liked the characters, and I liked the plot. It is not a 'heavy' book but it still had substance. Will read more by this author.
Shahd Mt.
Aug 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Makes you laugh and cry. Truly beautiful
Susan O'donoghue
I wish there were 10 stars. I loved it from start to finish
Gemma
Jun 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed it,it was a complete story.
Lisa Mc
Apr 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
would loved to have given it a 4.5!
Thought it would be difficult to read, but thoroughly enjoyed it
Rinelle Chetty
  • Humbugs and Heartstrings
  • Who Are You?
  • Sugar and Spice
  • Written in the Stars
  • The Abrupt Physics of Dying (Claymore Straker #1)
Hi. It’s Martina Reilly here, the artist formally known as Tina Reilly! And before that, I was teen writer, Martina Murphy.