Start by marking “Stalked: A dangerous predator. A life lived in fear. A terrifying true story.” as Want to Read:
Stalked: A dangerous predator. A life lived in fear. A terrifying true story.

Stalked: A dangerous predator. A life lived in fear. A terrifying true story.

Alison Hewitt was in the midst of training to be a family doctor when she met Al Amin Dhalla through an exclusive dating agency. He was a seemingly respectable businessman from Canada, so attentive and caring it was easy to ignore the warning signs - until he started, step by step, to take over her life.

Six months after they first met Al Amin's web of lies started to unra

Published August 28th 2014 by Pan

To ask other readers questions about Stalked, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stalked

Zoe
Feb 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Honest, perceptive, and eerie!

Stalked is the first-hand, harrowing story of Alison Hewitt’s relationship with Al Amin Dhalla, a charming fellow who quickly went from being a kind, considerate gentleman she met through a dating service, to a crazed, obsessed, armed ex-boyfriend.

The writing is clear and fluid. The characters are tormented and scarred, as well as relentless and vicious. And the plot, using first-person narration, unfolds chronologically, building tension and intrigue as it unravels
Ann
Sep 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A really gripping read. Once started it is difficult to put down. Alison a trainee doctor meets Al a Canadian business man through an upmarket dating agency. At first all goes well and Alison enjoys her developing relationship with Al. Despite some misgivings on her part Al moves into Alison’s flat. Gradually Alison comes to realise that Al is not the man she thought he was and tries to end the relationship. However Al refuses to accept this and subjects Alison and her family to a terrifying ord ...more
Charmaine Saliba
May 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS BOOK TO ALL WOMEN ESPECIALLY THE YOUNGEST who are on online dating or are consider to try it. Alison is training to become a doctor, and this has an impact on her social life. Her friend recommended her to try a dating site, and she does, not knowing that her life will change forever. This is a true story.
Chelsea
Jan 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I’ve recently re discovered my love for biographies specifically memoirs. The very first memoir book I read when I was ten years old was a child called it, it opened me up to a world where I never knew such cruelty can exist.
I really enjoyed this memoir and empathised about what Alison went through with her sociopath ex Al, the extremes he went to hell bent on revenge was terrifying I can’t imagine what Alison and her family went through, I felt drawn to Alison’s kind and down to earth personal
Damaskcat
Sep 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A busy doctor decides to join an upmarket dating agency to find a possible life partner. One of the first people she meets is Al - nice looking, considerate, fun to be with and interested in her. So far so good and it seemed as though the author had found someone she could consider sharing her life with. But she wants to take things slowly and when Al wants to move in with her she resists until he presents her with a fait accompli.

That is just the start. The author's family had reservations abo
Sep 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I was really gripped by this book, read it in just over 24 hrs - unusual for me as I am a slow reader. I really felt for the victim and her family although I have to say, as an outsider following the story, Alison did seem a little naive for a 35 year old professional woman as it did seem to me that there were frequent warning signs that all was not well in the relationship and she was being conned / manipulated. I also couldn't understand why, despite all this, she chose to go to Canada with hi ...more
Theresa
Nov 01, 2014 rated it liked it
An okish book if only to highlight the trauma etc of stalking.I did get very irritated at what I felt was Alisons stupidity and dragging this relationship out.That said I also feel it might be so easy to get trapped in these things and feel helpless as to what to do.
Book Addict Shaun
Sep 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
I went through a phase a couple of years ago of reading loads of those true story books, about child abuse or people who had come from a bad upbringing only to overcome it and go on and live their life. They can often be somewhat depressing and it's weird to think how well they sell. What's the reason for reading them? Often they can go into far too much detail that it's almost perverse to read them.

Stalking in particular I think is quite scary because it can come in many different forms. In the
Rachel McQuoid
Stalking has always fascinated me as a topic. How someone could be that way inclined to become so obsessive over someone that it affects every aspect of their life. This true story is shocking and gut wrenching and it will not cease to amaze you how far one man will go. A must read and a great start to the reading year.
Sabrina Stobbs
Jul 14, 2017 rated it it was ok
This was one of the crappest books I've read in a while! Pretty boring for the most part. The hardest thing about it was the amount of spelling and grammar Mistakes. There were up to five per page every three or so pages. It's the worst produced book I've ever read.
I didn't think the way the so called doctor referred to people with personality disorder as crazy was acceptable. Having mental health has its labels certainly but referring to people with that condition as crazy I thought was narrow
J.L. Slipak
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
MY THOUGHTS:
I received this book in exchange for my honest review.

This is an incredible read. It shows so many aspects as to why you shouldn’t use online dating to find someone. It also shows how important it is to take your time getting to really know someone before moving in with them. Learn beliefs, about their family, dating history, friends, work acquaintances, etc. Take your time!

This story builds as you read on, the tension grows to alarming heights and it’s just hard to fathom that a wom
Becci
Sep 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Could not put it down. I was hooked from the first page. Was hugely frustrated during the first part of the book that it took her so long to realize how crazy he was. Despite the fact he never directly was physically violent with her it was a terrifying account. He really comes across as super detached and unhinged.
Marie
Jul 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Terrifying account of stalking.
Centaine Tyler
Dec 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Alison's story is nothing short of brave. Her will to take back her life from an insane ex is an inspiration to anyone who's been through similar circumstances.

I too was a victim of stalking/harassment, which is why I picked this book up in the first place. While my own situation was far less severe than Alison's, there were many surreal instances where I saw myself in her, and my stalker in Al.

As the writing goes, the pace quickens at an alarming rate with every chapter. It really sets the atmo
Kay Townsend
Oct 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What an absolutely brilliant, brilliant book. I absolutely loved reading it and found it hard to put down at times. How Alison got through this part of her life is so very admirable. Her family and herself now deserve all the happiness they can get after coming through such an ordeal. They are all a great inspiration to others and thank you for sharing the harrowing story.

I would definitely recommend it as a really, really good read.
Crystal
Aug 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
A sad and scary glimpse into the world of online dating and where things can go wrong, not necessarily just within the online culture but with people in general. You can really sense her pain and terror. Extremely saddening to see the fear and anguish this woman suffers at the hands of a complete sociopath. Makes you think twice, well, probably three times.
Ted Ryan
Apr 07, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book took me a long time to read. It was a harrowing true story and quite difficult to read in places. I found myself taking breaks from the book because of its dark content.

The story was powerful and I really felt for Alison and what she went through, but it was a real challenge to get to the end.
Simone Elizabeth
Nov 18, 2016 rated it liked it
I quite enjoyed this book even more so as it was a true story. really gripping and scary at the same time thinking this poor women went through what she did but I feel the lead up to the actual events dragged on a but and it was slightly repetitive. would reccomend all the same.
Lorraine
Sep 29, 2015 rated it liked it
Quite liked the story behind this, if that makes sense, was a good read :)
Fran
Jan 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
First book of 2016 and it was a great one! Quick read. Terrifying true story!
Shirley
Oct 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
When I first started reading this book I thought, I can't find anything wrong with this man, he is the perfect man, NO, I soon changed my mind, and it's so worrying as it can easily happen.
Joelle
Mar 12, 2015 added it
Utterly terrifying. This poor woman. Was a simply written book, but hopefully it showcases controlling and stalker-like behaviour so other people reading this can recognise the signs and get help.
Tammy Reid