Start by marking “Admit to Mayhem” as Want to Read:

Admit to Mayhem

None of us want to admit our lives are unmanageable. We prefer the charade that we are in control. Lillian Dove, however, is constantly reminded she has very little control over her life and only has the ability to move to the choices that come her way.

The Lillian Dove Series is a journey in recovery. While Lillian is a recovering alcoholic, like many who struggle with ad
Paperback, Kindle and Audible, 286 pages
Published September 15th 2014 by Horatio Press (first published August 25th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Admit to Mayhem, please sign up.
Kate R I like it when an author does her research and paints a vivid picture of what life is like in a community different from my own. And then ties those u…moreI like it when an author does her research and paints a vivid picture of what life is like in a community different from my own. And then ties those unique characteristics into the story. It doesn't have to be an exotic place. Lee Child is good at doing this, too. It's fascinating to learn about how other people live and think. My horizons are broadened while I'm getting my mystery fix :)(less)

Start your review of Admit to Mayhem
Susan Walker
I enjoyed this mystery because the heroine is a "every woman" and a recovering alcoholic. She investigates a house fire that has a history of arson and murder. She is not a smooth detective type but I feel that makes her more endearing.
Pamela Sewell
Feb 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: giveaways
Generously given by author for review. Lillian Dove is the product of a dysfunctional family and 5 years on the road of sobriety. When her brother washes his hands of their difficult mother, Lillian reluctantly returns to Frytown, Iowa. After reporting a house fire, she attempts rescue. No one believes there was anyone in the house. She learns the house burned 60 years ago with no survivors. Or were there? Is it arson or accident? In Lillian's search for answers she find local secrets held close ...more
Bonnie
Aug 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaway
But for the curious ending, this mystery would have been a 5 star! Lillian Dove is in Frytown, where her brother relocated their mother, Dahlia, thinking a senior condo would better suit her needs. After her second stroke he called Lillian & stated "You owe her." & (since she had left home at 18) "Some of us had to stay & bear the burden."........ He had moved their mother to a convalescent home, & told Lillian that she needn't call when she dies, I'm done! & hung up!!! Lillian then moved into t ...more
Yvonne
Mar 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Lillian Dove is a recovering alcoholic, but she does have other addictions like chocolate, Pepsi and men. She is striving to make a good life for herself and even has a new guy in her life, Chief Charles Kaefring. Lillian is owned by a cat named Bacardi and holds down two jobs – one as a phone facilitator for the police department and one has a clerk in a liquor store, of all things.

On her way home, after spending the night at Charles’ house, Lillian spots a house fire. She calls for help, but n
William Bitner Jr.
Feb 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Admit to Mayhem (Lillian Dove Mystery - Book 1)
By D.J. Adamson

Genre - Fiction
Category - Mystery/Suspense/Thriller/Amateur Sleuth/Female Sleuth/Recovery
Pages - 311
Format - Kindle
Publication Information - Horatio Press - August 24, 2014
Reviewed by William C. Bitner (https://booksinmylibraryblog.wordpres...)
Rating - 📙📙📙📙

As a recovering alcoholic and a bit of an amateur sleuth myself I looked forward to reading Admit to Mayhem: Lillian Dove Mystery - Book 1 by D.J. Adamson. This was a fun read and f
Marilyn Stanley
Feb 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What a great book - I loved it! Full of mystery and intrigue from start to finish. I found it very difficult to put down and found myself carrying it with me wherever I went - just in case I had a chance to read a page or two. The author really developed her lead character well and she was so real.

I highly recommend this book.
Evangeline Owens
Jul 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Entertaining - good read.
April
Sep 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
D. J. Adamson

Lillian Dove is a recovering alcoholic, that is trying to get her life together. She has a couple part time jobs. one she gets fired from. When she reports a house fire, she starts snooping around trying to investigate the history of the house. There is plenty of action, some subtle humor a bit of romance, plenty of mystery, and a cat. This kept me listening to see what Lillian would get into next.

The narration was well done. The characters were well portrayed by : J
Rita
May 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was very interesting. It was unique and different in a good way. I enjoyed reading it. It has so many ups and downs. I love the main character and her pursuit of the truth despite her being an addict to booze. She maintains despite all the troubles that come her way. I was surprised at the ending of the book too. It makes me want to read more from this series and this author. I will be following her from now on too!
Billie
Sep 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a very enjoyable read.
No matter if you have addictions to alcohol or drugs you can relate to what the character is feeling..
I really conncected with the character and enjoyed this very much.
The plot and story line do take a little time but once connected it is very suspenseful and keeps you guessing.
Looking forward to more in this series.
Recommend reading.

I voluntarily reviewed an advance reader copy. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.
1sandijay1
Feb 24, 2019 rated it it was ok
Needs a thorough edit! Wrong words used, missing words and spelling errors. The plot was OK but the whole ambience of the book seemed unremittingly dreary and sad. Would not read another book by this author.
Thom
Jul 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: winners
Another winner ...Great read and totally full of MAyhem :)
James Sorensen
Oct 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
I won this book as part of the Goodreads First-Read program.

Lillian Dove is a small town girl. She is a recovering alcoholic and has relationship issues with her mother. She is a hard worker just trying to make ends met for her and her cat Bacardi. And maybe someday she'll find someone to care for her.

When the opportunity presents itself she spends a stormy night with The Chief of Police, Charles. On the ride home early the next morning she see smoke and finds a house on fire. The Carter Family
Jalynn Patterson
Jan 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
About the Book:

With a contrary attitude and an addiction for independence, Lillian Dove admits she has not been a success in life. In fact, she considers failing as one of her addictions. Yet, when she comes across a suspicious house fire with a history of arson and murder, she instinctively attempts to help someone trapped. Lillian becomes the only possible eyewitness to criminal arson, and her life begins to spiral out of control.

Lillian Dove is an endearing “every woman” struggling with life
Dawn
May 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
I received a free copy of this book for an honest review.

Admit to Mayhem is a mystery with a lot of twists. Some of them were pretty easy to guess but some were surprising. When I started reading this book, I had to double check to make sure it was a mystery because it starts more like women’s fiction but it turns into a mystery pretty quickly.

Admit to Mayhem is based in a small town where everyone knows everyone else which can make things interesting. For example, when Lillian tries to save som
Sheri
Jan 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Admit to Mayhem by D. J. Adamson

Lillian Dove is a witness to a house fire assumed to be arson. She being the only witness gets involved with trying to unravel this mystery. She is certain she saw someone in the house, and she is not quite sure who pulled her out. Lillian finds the house has a bit of history too. It seems that many years ago the house was set on fire, and people were murdered. Are the two incidents connected? Is the house jinxed in some way? Lillian is about to find out, no matte
Linda
Oct 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Enter small town Iowa and shake your head in disbelief as the tale of lives doubling back on one another unfolds. Diann Adamson masterfully takes you into this world and keeps you there with crisp writing depicting small town ironies. The story is mostly told in dialogue reminding me of an Elemore Leonard’s style. Her characters are horribly flawed creating a challenge for the author to make them sympathetic to the reader. No one is perfect in this story, but then neither is anyone in real life. ...more
Paul
Nov 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
D. J. Adamson gives an extremely realistic picture of small town life. Although Lillian Dove admits to being far from perfect, you see glimpses of a caring individual with a good heart. What a great book - I loved it! Full of mystery and intrigue from start to finish. The author really developed her lead character well and she was so real.
I would love to read more from D.J. Adamsom. She makes for an interesting reading mystery a great pleasure.
I won this book as part of the Goodreads First-Read
Victoria Brinius
Mar 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
I just finished a great mystery with a woman sleuth called "Lilian Dove". I like to read about woman who become embroiled in a mystery by mistake. They seem to have been just in the right place at the right time. Lilian Dove had no intention of being involved in a mystery surrounding a house fire that she had run to because she was worried if someone could not escape. Before she knows it she is trying to solve the mystery and finds more issues along the way. I give this book a 4/5. I was given t ...more
Kate R
Apr 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
The portrait the author paints of the main character, Lillian Dove is one with an emotionally abusive childhood, addiction and insecurities that made her seem real, flawed, and vulnerable. But she’s also brave, honest, keeps her commitments and stands up to bullies. For me, it’s important to really like the main character in a book- especially a series- and I liked Lillian Dove. I found it to be a well-written mystery that kept me guessing. I’ll be continuing this series now! I would definitely ...more
Peggy
Feb 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
An absolute page turner! This book will keep you up all night reading! It's completely a book you don't expect to enjoy, but a book that will have you hooked right from the beginning! I can't express just how much this book will boggle your mind! All I can really say is, if you haven't read it yet, you are missing out on a fantastic read!

*Received for an honest review*

*Sorry NO spoilers*
BECKY ROE
Apr 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
She's just a small town girl... living in a lonely world...
Enter Lillian Dove. She's a lonely girl, with a cloudy background like most of us. She's struggling with her mommy/daughter relationship, she's also a recovering alcoholic. She throws herself into her work, cares for her kitty, ironically named "BACARDI". Life is lonely and uneventful.
And then.
The entire review is found on my blog:

Mary Nee
Feb 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
You will enjoy this book ! A good read. Very well done with a balance between Lillian Dover's personal life and a mystery that starts with a house fire. Lots of twists and turns. Some you can guess and some you don't expect.
Linda Cole
Jun 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Intense

Could feel Lillian pain throughout the story lot of twisted characters and the mystery was complicated by emotions. The ending was a surprise
Samantha Gunning
Feb 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
Goodreads Firstread
autographed paperback
numerous typos

I loved the big city character set in a small town.
Jeanette
Sep 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
I enjoyed this book. I usually don't care for addiction stories, but this was very well done with a balance between her personal life and the mystery.
J. Kahele
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Pump Up Your Book: Admit to Mayhem by D.J. Adamson 2 9 Mar 15, 2015 09:31PM
MidWest Noir 1 1 Feb 23, 2015 12:58PM

• Introducing Gertrude, Gumshoe
  • In Dog We Trust (Golden Retriever Mystery #1)
  • D for Daisy (A Blind Sleuth Mystery #1)
  • The Orphans
  • News and Nectarines: A small town cozy mystery (Tri-Town Murders Book 1)
  • Death Comes in Threes (Addie Foster Mystery Series, #1)
  • Circles in the Snow (Sheriff Bo Tully, #6)
  • Murder in Mind (Sloane Monroe, #2)
  • Pondering Station
  • Deadly Sins: Sloth
  • The Trouble with San Francisco (Suite and Slain #1)
  • The Sleeping Girls: A Riveting Mystery
  • Interference
  • Hardback Homicide (Shelf Indulgence #1)
  • The Woman in the Moonlight
  • The Unspoken (Ashe Cayne #1)
  • The Watchman of Rothenburg Dies: A German Cozy Mystery (The Homeswappers Book 1)
  • A Life Without Water

Admit to Mayhem, Midwest Book Festival Award, Nominated for a Clue Award in Suspense.

Suppose, 2018 Mystery & Mayhem Award.

D. J. Adamson is the author of the Lillian Dove Mystery series and the Deviation science fiction-suspense trilogy. She teaches writing and literature at Los Angeles colleges.