Start by marking “JLA: The Deluxe Edition, Vol. 7” as Want to Read:
JLA: The Deluxe Edition, Vol. 7

JLA: The Deluxe Edition, Vol. 7

(JLA (1997))

The members of the JLA are some of the most powerful beings on the planet. With new members Hope, Major Disaster and Manitou Raven joining heroes like Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman, there’s nearly no problem the Justice League can’t handle, from civil wars on alien planets to fascist super-teams.

But there is one being more powerful than the combined might of the JLA. O
Published May 26th 2015 by DC Comics (first published May 26th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about JLA, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about JLA

Start your review of JLA: The Deluxe Edition, Vol. 7
Scott Lee
Meh. The stories are okay. The Jon Jonzz storyline in the middle of the volume was definitely the best, and the only story line even worthy of consideration for a rating above three stars. The end story, with a visiting alien, was horrid. The writing was weak, our heroes are mostly passive characters who have no role in the outcome, and the artwork is the worst I've seen on this book in seven volumes--absolutely horrid penciling. It was neither successfully stylized, nor anywhere realistic, inst ...more
Shannon
May 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Some very well written tales that test the JLA including the fallout of their powers out of control and an unstoppable force from within make this just about a five star. There are some other tales within that are not A level.

OVERALL GRADE: A minus.
Brent
Mar 22, 2017 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: fans of these fine creators and DC superheroes
Recommended to Brent by: Atlanta-Fulton Public Library
Lots of talent on view here, with huge swings in quality. Joe Kelley's writing has its points, but I always tune in to art by Doug Mahnke. Other artists, less so: I dislike Ariel Olivetti here, but love, as usual, work by ChrisCross. Then, rereading the concluding three issue run written by Denny O'Neil, I am transported back to where I came in in 1970, reading O'Neil writing Justice League of America.
Mildly recommended.
Steven
Jul 07, 2015 rated it liked it
It was pretty much downhill after Grant Morrison left the title, and this volume in the deluxe series is at times painful to read - Joe Kelly's white supremacist arc essentially goes nowhere, and is followed by the endless Fernus story in which J'onn Jonzz goes off the deep end, except that it's not really J'onn, except...augh. And then a Denny O'Neill three-parter closes things out in a turgid, painful manner, with painfully bad artwork being the icing on the cake.
Alex E
Mar 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Kelly continues his tenure on this book by making one of the teams most trusted allies the villain. I think where Kelly excels in is the interpersonal relationships of the characters. So by turning it around and making one of the most important, and trusted, characters the bad guy, we get a lot of great moments of doubt and subtle details regarding how everyone is taking the situation. Kelly is able to convey the emotions of each character, without it getting too "soap opera". Its something I de ...more
B
Jan 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: borrowed
Too many characters.

There are two stories. One is a confusing and unresolved story about Glory, who we haven't really had a reason to care about.

In the other, it turns out that (view spoiler) is a nearly unstoppable force for evil. Disappointing because he's usually so likeable. Also everyone seems fine with it.

Also, it seems like not enough respect for the women in the book. They're treated by other characters as sex objects, except Wonder Woman. A little.
Todd
Reading collections where the art shifts can be extremely jarring. Wonder Woman transforms the most. One of the artists interprets her as a roid case with implants (because no woman can be that muscular and have such big boobs).

This was the weakest collection so far. I found the Manhunter story a little too long. The Dennis O’Neil story is fun, but has weak art. It’s not bad, but it looks like an indie book rather than the JLA.
Nate
Mar 06, 2020 added it
The Martian Manhunter story is the best one here. I can take or leave the rest. Kelly’s run finishes in this volume, and while I think he contributed a few good stories, I can’t say they were very memorable. Honestly, the thing I’ll remember most from Kelly’s run is Plastic Man. He writes a great Eel and went out of his way to give him pathos. That's something.
Matthew Noe
Jul 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I am giving this collection 5 stars for one reason only: the Trial by Fire storyline was fantastic - both as a fan of good storytelling and as a fanboy of Martian Manhunter.

The rest of this collection deserves a 2. It is just bad.
VL
Jan 04, 2016 rated it liked it
Ehhhh
Derek Moreland
Dec 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Would have been five stars - Joe Kelly's run was nothing short of impeccable - but the three issues of Denny O'Neil nonsense at the end knocked a star off. Still, by and large fantastic.
Chad
Feb 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
The Joe Kelly and Doug Mahnke stories are pretty great. The others in the book fall a bit flat. Mahnke is one of the best artists in DC's arsenal.
Umang Chandola

• JLA: The Deluxe Edition, Vol. 4
  • Criminal, Vol. 1: Coward
  • The Glass Hotel
  • The Flash (2016-) #755
  • Batman Secret Files (2020) #3 (Batman (2016-))
  • Batman (2016-) #92
  • The Crab with the Golden Claws (Tintin, #9)
  • King Ottokar’s Sceptre (Tintin, #8)
  • Futurama Simpsons Infinitely Secret Crossover Crisis #2
  • Futurama Simpsons Infinitely Secret Crossover Crisis #1
  • The Green Lantern Season Two (2020-) #4
  • Doctor Who: The Twelfth Doctor, Time Trials Vol 3: A Confusion of Angels
  • The Black Island (Tintin, #7)

JLA (1997) (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • JLA, Vol. 1: New World Order