Start by marking “Air Awakens (Air Awakens, #1)” as Want to Read:
Air Awakens (Air Awakens, #1)

Air Awakens

(Air Awakens #1)

4.01  ·  Rating details ·  18,081 ratings  ·  2,109 reviews
A library apprentice, a sorcerer prince, and an unbreakable magic bond...

The Solaris Empire is one conquest away from uniting the continent, and the rare elemental magic sleeping in seventeen-year-old library apprentice Vhalla Yarl could shift the tides of war.

Vhalla has always been taught to fear the Tower of Sorcerers, a mysterious magic society, and has been happy in he
Published August 27th 2015 by Silver Wing Press

To ask other readers questions about Air Awakens, please sign up.
Elise Kova At the start of book one...
Vhalla is 17 (though she quickly turns 18)
Aldrik is 24
Baldair is 21
Larel is 23
Fritz is 20
Roan is 18
Sareem is 19
Hope that…more
At the start of book one...
Vhalla is 17 (though she quickly turns 18)
Aldrik is 24
Baldair is 21
Larel is 23
Fritz is 20
Roan is 18
Sareem is 19
Hope that helps!(less)
Elise Kova I just answered this question on my author page, but I'll answer it here also so that anyone/everyone can see it ---

I'm going to answer this question…more

I'm going to answer this question completely honestly, because I want people to know what they're "getting into" with my books! But that means there are some very -very- general spoilers for the first book and the series. So, to anyone reading this, you've been warned ;)

In the first book of the Air Awakens series there isn't any kissing, sex, etc. Not to say there isn't romance, because I'd say there's some definite attraction/tension between characters (I do call it a fantasy/romance book!). But, for reasons in the first book's story, it's not explored. However, it is worth noting that our heroine - Vhalla - is not a virgin and that is made clear in the first book.

However, in later books there will be sexual themes and sex. This is part of why I say Air Awakens is intended for an older YA audience. Because while it will not be "explicit" like an Adult or New Adult novel, it will be present and will leave no questions to what's happening when it happens, to whatever characters it happens to.

I realize sex in YA can be a touchy subject - which is why I like it when people ask me questions like this because I'm not of the inclination to get people to read something they'd have issues with. But, when I was writing Air Awakens I wanted to be as honest to the characters as I could be and if that meant sex at a point then I didn't want to shy from it, just as I don't want to shy from violence of the brutal natures of war and hate. I think books can play an important part in building a dialog surrounding these topics for young adults and so I decided to keep such scenes - as made sense - in the series.

(less)

·  18,081 ratings  ·  2,109 reviews

Katerina
Oct 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, favorites

OH. MY. GOD.

This book was utter perfection!! Mix elemental magic with war and schemings and court rivalries and romance and a prince to die for and BOOM! Air Awakens happens. And a seriously embarassing dancing session.

“Vhalla, you are a sorcerer.”

Vhalla is a library app
C.G. Drews
Oh dear oh dear. This was like a very very cliche sandwich and I am all the disappointment. It has such a pretty cover too!! And everyone else loves it!! what is wrong with meeee.

....okay, but self pity moment over, ahem, I'm just monstrously disappointed in how dull I found the story. It literally did NOTHING out of the ordinary. I'm just going to go ahead and list all the things I found cliche:

Annoyance Awakens: AKA my list of cliches

• We have a "YER A WIZARD, VHALLA" moment. Because the most
Rachel E. Carter
"I may be a prince," he said as his lips brushed her ear lightly. "But I would trade it all to be a common man, even if only for tonight."

DEAR BOOK GODS,

THANK YOU. THANK YOU FOR THIS MASTERPIECE.

This was delicious and I devoured it within hours!!! I have just become a huge fan of Elise Kova and I am literally dying for Fire Falling -thank gawd it comes out November!!! This book gave me so many moments where I was practically screaming, there were just so many SWOONWORTHY moments and WOW. And the
☆High Lady of The Night Court☆
As I’m writing this I’m pretty sure I’m dying with the anticipation for the next book. It wouldn’t be an exaggeration to say that I love every single part of this book. The plot was engaging since the very first page, the characters have had huge personalities that demand attention, and the world has so much potential which I’m sure will be achieved as I continue with the series. I’ve been completely lost in this book since I’ve started it, I finished it in one sitting and it not slow down for a ...more
Sana
was i on drugs the first time i read this? probably. well holy shit this was so good??

------
I was going to start the next book but then I realized i don't remember a single thing from this book aside from hating this.

BR and reread with some rude chick.

----------
ORIGINAL REVIEW: 2/5 stars
You know what I actually had very high expectations from this one because everyone's been praising this and the magic is like the last airbender. Instead of an awesome high fantasy, I get a book filled with bori
☽Luna☾
Jul 23, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: just-shit
1.5/5

I feel the need to press charges against this novel for misleading me to believe that it might have been cool. The cover is a promise of beauty and badassery but instead we got this;
description
I truly feel this is a more appropriate cover for this novel.

Let me firstly start this rant off by laughing at some goodreads users. The other day I posted a status saying 'dog shit is more interesting then this novel'. I literally got deleted by five people in my friends list! Like if you can't handle the heat
Elena
Jul 27, 2017 rated it did not like it
Recommended to Elena by: Ashley
A sorcerer with battle scars came back to Vhalla with vivid clarity. They were sending her to war, so she would go and become something they had every right to fear.

I think it's time I stop having so much hype for a book. I feel like one enjoys a book more, whether it has a lot of hype or not, without having many expectations because when you have none, you're really met with things you didn't expect and most of the time you're hyped for a book and you end up disliking it. I've planned on re
Elise Kova
Jul 05, 2017 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
This was my debut novel and I'll always have a special place in my heart for it. I love using review sections as an author to give information about the book! That being said...

If you want to know more about the world of Air Awakens, I have a page on my site with useful info: http://elisekova.com/the-world-of-air...

I also have some questions about Air Awakens on my website's FAQ: http://elisekova.com/about/

Additionally, the first series is a completed five book series. You can get them individua
Stuti T
Read this super long review on my blog too.

FIRST THOUGHTS: no no no. Definitely needed another round of editing, but that's not the biggest of my problems. Barely anything happens, worldbuilding what worldbuilding, a love interest who is part creep, part asshole, and occasional sensitive guy (because like, readers have to have SOMEthing right), a love square...This is going to be a long and ranty review.

This book. This book. Air Awakens was absolutely riddled with bad writing; Vhalla’s ‘indecis
Pearl Angeli
An overall stunner!

I went into this book barely knowing anything and without any specific expectations because I had a vague idea what it was about. Sorcerers? Library apprentices? Royal characters? It's quite hard to imagine them all tangled up into one big knot. Luckily as I went through the pages, I didn't experience difficulty in absorbing everything because it was so darn good!

The book mainly centers on the heroine Vhalla Yarl, a library apprentice who later on discovered that she was entir
Ben Alderson
Feb 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
ummmmmm AANG THE AVATER MEETS ROYALTY!

Elise has literally combined my favourite elements ( HAHA ELEMENTS GET IT ) into one books.
I have been waiting to read a fantastic elemental control book for a long time and this one has taken the prizes and ran with it.

I am so excited for this whole series.
I HIGHLY RECOMMEND! PLEASE READ THIS PLEASE!
Aimee ♥ | Aimee, Always
This book and I got off on the wrong foot, really. It was probably the COMPLETELY inconsistent pacing that threw me off. I mean, sometimes things happen way too fast, (like the romance, ugh. More on that later) while others take foreverrrr (like, unfortunately, the rest of the plot).

So, let's elaborate.

THINGS I DIDN'T LIKE

1.) The pacing - Like I said, it was totally inconsistent. Other than what I've mentioned earlier, there were a few times when a weeks have gone by in a span of a page, and som
Helen 2.0
To anyone who's ever wanted to see Aang, the Last Airbender, in the body of a teenage girl (but NOT Korra), look no further. But if you're starting the series on that premise, be warned - this book is, first and foremost, a YA romance.

Within its genre, Air Awakens amazing. Vhalla is an apprentice in the imperial castle's library who discovers her magic by inadvertently saving crown prince Aldrik's life. She becomes a Windwalker, the first in 150 years. Her character development throughout the p
Daiane
“You are my friend, whatever this commoner’s friendship is worth.” “It is worth very much.”

In a far away kingdom

A common library apprentice who spends her working time trying to find new books to read

Met the arrogant prince famous for his sharp tongue and skill with sorcerer.

After some events she finds herself trusting in the dark prince and they start to spend time together.

In truth, Vhalla found out she was also a sorceress.

“Two sorcerers can give birth to a Common. Two Commons can give
Nicole
Jul 24, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2017, ya, romance, fantasy

I had honestly forgotten how annoying cliché books can be until I read Air Awakens. This book was an unwelcome reminder. It just lacks originality and mimics stories that we have seen a countless number of times before.

Truth be told, the premise sounded promising. Vhalla discovers her hidden powers in a world where magic is feared. However prince Aldrik guides her.
He helps her learn what she is capable of doing with her powers before she decides whether she wants to eradicate them or j
V. PARENTAL GUIDANCE:  A Court of Wings and Ruin is NEW ADULT/EROTICA but Goodreads editors won't tell you
Update 12/21/2017
Is it true? Rumor has it Goodreads won't allow international giveaways of paperback copies next year? I hope that's not true Because that would be such a Way to ruin our fun dear Goodreads gods!Not to mention a form of discriminating readers.

Does anyone have more information about this?

I love giveaways, I've won a couple of e-book copies and a paperback copy that way. Giveaways that don't reach the whole globe are a form of discrimination. If authors are willing to spend the
ambsreads
THIS. WAS. AWESOME.

WHAT THE HECK. IM IN LOVE. SOMEONE THROW THE NEXT BOOK AT MY HEAD BECAUSE I NEED IT.

REVIEW TO COME.

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

I saw someone in my feed post a status update today about hating books that you might have otherwise liked because of the main character and - um, yup, feeling that pretty hard right now. AIR AWAKENS was one of the most frustrating books I've read in a while because it had a lot of potential, but a lot of that potential was squandered away on Vhalla, the Worst Heroine in the World.

AIR AWAKENS is very similar to Avatar: The Last Airbender in
Ashley
Okay, on a side note, here are my swoon worthy fancastings for Aldrik, Vhalla, and Baldair <3333

Crown Prince Aldrik

Vhalla

Prince Baldair

OKAY. WOW. ALDRIK. WOAH. CUE THE FLAILING AND SWOONING *DIES*

4.5 LOVELY STARS

Wow, what a surprise! I don't even know how I stumbled across this hidden gem, but it'd been sitting on my shelf for a few weeks, and I thought, why not? I admit, the only reason this isn't a full five stars for me was because I found the first thirty pages hard to get into because I
Pamela J. (Fantasy Book Nook)
Spoiler Free Review: Elise Kova is a new author and self-published, but don’t let that dissuade you. This book is the type that completely draws you into its world. I quickly became engrossed in it and near obsessive contemplating the characters and their fate. Air Awakens is everything you want in a fantasy/YA book: a solid premise, relatable characters, amazing relationship development, entertaining, and well written.

Vhalla Yarl is a library apprentice accidently discovers she is a sorcerer wi
Choko
Jul 25, 2017 rated it liked it
*** 3.333 ***

A buddy read with my wonderful Luna and friends @ BB&B, because we obviously wanted to feel like we were preteens again:):):)

I am getting ooooollllllddddd!!! Nothing reminds me more of that then reading some Young Adult books. I guess I realize I am old, but at times I hang on to a denial and want to dive into a book and have the same feelings I would have had had I been between 12 and 17 years old... This is why I feel it is almost unfair for me to rate this book, since I obvio
Cait • A Page with a View
It's like the Grisha Trilogy meets that Avatar the Last Airbender tv show? And some Phantom of the Opera + Crown of Midnight thrown in there? Just go with it, it works...

Yes, it's not the best written book ever, but the awesome plot more than makes up for any technical shortcomings so don't write it off right away. It's got castles, libraries, war, magic, princes, MAGIC PRINCES.

The first half was kind of slow and full of worldbuilding I just didn't care about yet, like:
"every natural Affinity b
Nadia Awadi
Aug 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
A conversation between cynical me and nice me. Hopefully this isn't too weird.

me: So why did we like this book?

Nice me: Aldrik is so hot! And I like puppies.

Cynical me: Like? This was mediocre at best! You may as well be insane for giving it 4 stars.

Nice me: This deserves all of the stars in the universe. And Aldrik is one of the brightest stars I've ever read about. He stole my breath away with his 'I'm a dark prince and I just need a hug' attitude. And...

Cynical me: You like kittens too! Of co
Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink
Feb 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of the Grisha Trilogy
Update-Hey guys! The ENTIRE Air Awakens series is now free on amazon kindle unlimited! !! Check them out if you haven't yet- its such a fun series!!
_________________________________

Oh, I will definitely be returning to book two.
Quite soon in fact. Probably tomorrow. Actually probably in the next 5 minutes...

I'll start by saying it took me a little while to connect. While I liked the premise, I had a hard time rationalizing Vhalla's decisions (the protagonist). She seemed to jump to harsh conc
Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤

Now that I have time, the gravity of what I promised lays heavily on my shoulders. How am I not going to fangirl about a guy?? What's the point otherwise? I mean, obviously I have a ship and obviously it was my favorite part about the book-I mean, duh-it's me we're talking about here. And yeah, sure, there are fifty million things I guess I could talk about, but why bother if I can't talk about what I want to?

So, alright whatever, fuck it-All I want to talk about is Prince Aldrik, so that's what
Mikee Andrea (ReadWithMikee)
"They were sending her to war, so she would go and become something they had every right to fear."

I'll be honest, I found the first half of the story to be a little slow. There was A LOT of history to remember regarding the sorcerers, especially with the Windwalkers. Therefore, I recommend taking notes or bookmarking a few things to refer back to when characters mention certain things because it's a lot to take in especially if you're slow like me. :P

Not a lot of action happened either in th
Ann (annreads)
Jun 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, own
*Reread March 2018*

“Vhalla,” he whispered with a voice as dark as midnight. His nose was almost touching hers.
“Aldrik,” she breathed faintly, as though it was a prayer. No word had ever tasted sweeter on her tongue.”

I wonder how many times I'll have to update my reviews for this books, since apparently I have problems and I cannot stop rereading them😂 I'll keep it short and sweet: I LOVE THIS SERIES, YALL GO READ IT!!

-----------------------------------------------------

*Reread January 2017*

“Fi
Anne
Please people read this book!! Do it for me. Do it for yourselves...but mostly do it for me(just excuse my selfishness this once hmm?). I need someone to rave about this book with!! I just need!!!

Once upon a time there was an empire called Solaris. It conquered and ruled above all others. In this kingdom where one wasn't born into magic, where magic chose people, lived a girl named Vhalla. Vhalla loved books. She loved them enough to secure a job as a librarian in the palace's library where she
Katerina Kondrenko
8 out of 10

Ревью в моем блоге/This review on my blog
Living A Thousand Lives

Short-Soundtrack:

Dan Gibson – Wind Walker
Sarah Blasko – I Awake
Emika – Destiny Killer

Genre: high-fantasy, YA+ (upper-YA)
Stuff: 2 princes, 1 special girl, elemental magic
Love-Geometry: seeming

Q
Jennymort ♔ Dark Lordette
description

Well well well. I am pleasantly surprised about this book. I thought it was going to be super boring and childish. But...
description
I was wrong. I admit it.

This book reminds me of The Demon King series but with more magic.

I have no complaints other than the usual insta-ish-love. But I love bad boys so I'd be just as bad. And at least it was more towards the end of the book when it really starts?

Whatever.
Jennymort out.

OH. BTW.

ERZA MILLER = ALDRIK FUCKING SOLARIS
For Love of a Book: Air Awakens 21 45 Nov 02, 2018 07:03PM
Mature Themes 2 18 Sep 19, 2018 08:21PM
Vaginal Fantasy B...: MAIN: Air Awakens Discussion *Spoilers* 46 277 Mar 24, 2018 05:57PM
Vaginal Fantasy B...: Discord Chat #1: Air Awakens 3 267 Mar 16, 2018 03:16PM
Vaginal Fantasy B...: * Discussion Questions for the 3/7 Hangout: Air Awakens 16 279 Mar 09, 2018 10:32AM
Vaginal Fantasy B...: MAIN: Air Awakens Series Discussion *Spoilers* 9 124 Mar 06, 2018 07:30AM
  • Thorne (The Chronicles of Kaya, #2)
  • Dark Tempest (Red Winter Trilogy, #2)
  • Volcrian's Hunt (The Cat's Eye Chronicles, #3)
  • Chains of Water and Stone (The Griever's Mark #2)
  • The Tides of Bára (Sorcerous Moons, #3)
  • Ride the Wind (Flipped Fairy Tale #3)
  • Fantasy of Frost (Tainted Accords, #1)
  • Cage of Deceit (Reign of Secrets, #1)
  • Candidate (The Black Mage, #3)
  • Paladin (Paladin, #1)
  • Breathing Fire (Heretic Daughters #1)
  • Gambit (The Prodigy Chronicles, #1)
  • Pathfinder's Way (The Broken Lands, #1)
  • Memories of Ash (The Sunbolt Chronicles, #2)
  • The Winter King (Weathermages of Mystral, #1)
Elise Kova is the USA Today bestselling author of fantasy stories filled with magic and romance.

In her past lives, she has graduated from an MBA program, lived in Japan for a bit, and worked for a Fortune 500 technology company. However, she finds herself much happier in her current reincarnation as full-time author. When not writing, she can usually be found playing video games, drawing, watching

Air Awakens (5 books)
  • Fire Falling (Air Awakens, #2)
  • Earth's End (Air Awakens, #3)
  • Water's Wrath (Air Awakens #4)
  • Crystal Crowned (Air Awakens, #5)
“I am going to go into this world, and I don't care if you and your narrow mind cannot be a part of it.” 74 likes
“I want a place you hardly dare to even whisper. I want the bravery to not only read, but to do. I want a man, not a library boy. A man who is tall and witty and knows more about the world than you would ever dare dream.” 60 likes