Start by marking “Război și pace, vol.2” as Want to Read:
Război și pace, vol.2

Război și pace, vol.2

(War and Peace, 4 Volumes #2)

V této rozsáhlé epopeji, jejíž rámec tvoří válka s Napoleonem, jeho tažení do Ruska, požár Moskvy a bitvy u Slavkova i Borodina, nevytvořil Tolstoj jen válečný román nebo pouze román historický, ale syntetický román času a prostoru podávající souhrnný obraz ruské společnosti.
Paperback, Large print, 428 pages
Published 1993 by Editura Venus & R.A.I. (first published 1865)

To ask other readers questions about Război și pace, vol.2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Război și pace, vol.2

Start your review of Război și pace, vol.2
Manny
Dec 07, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An old joke in the Mr and Mrs series that I was just reminded of:
"Mr and Mrs Peacepartou... and their son, Warren Peacepartou!"
(Some British people allegedly find this funny)
Anna
Jan 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just blown away really! I love how much of this is about deconstructing the unconscious rules and reasons that lead to the actions or inactions of the characters and the historical events. Pierre is a beautiful metaphor for being guided by elements he is barely aware of and cannot control. It resonated with me because in a way it felt the same as the feminist task to dismantle patriarchal assumptions that guide our lives.
And yayay Nicolai/Maria and excuse me while I just pretend Denisov/Sonya wa
Bruce
Jan 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
War and Peace, like Anna Karenin, has two plots between which the narrative goes back and forth: the Napoleonic Wars in Russia and the personal drama of the major characters. They intersect and occasionally blend, but each has its own separate and distinct impetus.

The war plot famously illustrates Tolstoy's idea that history is moved not by the decisions of "great men" (like Napoleon), but rather by the sum of decisions made by everyone in a society -- and no one, least of all the great men, can
russell barnes
Holy cow, where do you begin with this 1400 page behemoth that is a by-word for a thanklessly huge novel?

Oddly Volume 1 (the first 700 pages) fairly rollicks along. There are battles, balls and bad romances, and even the relentlessly complex Russian naming system is curiously missing so you don't have to constantly refer to a Who's Who table to cross-check the patronymics, pet names, last names, nick names and married names.

Volume 2 though is an entirely different prospect as the story diminishe
Melissa
If I didn't abhor GIFs in Goodreads reviews, I would post one here of someone celebrating a victory, finishing a marathon, etc.

Natalie K.
Aug 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed Volume 2 less than the first one, but it was still worthwhile. I really enjoyed the “war” parts, and there were quite few, if you don’t count the drama of personal relationships. It’s fascinating learning about the past, but you can’t help but want to just shake these people a little. I guess, we can’t deny the progress.
Richa
Apr 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
To review an acclaimed classic is always a difficult task. I don't know what I can add to the already written reviews. This work deserves all the accolades it has received. It has a perfect balance of romance, spirituality, historical analysis and polity.
Sorin Hadârcă
Mar 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: russia, classics
At least volume 2 is entertainment, although Leo Tolstoy is kind of cruel to his characters, less so towards Bolkonsky. Poor Natasha. Well, let’s see what’s coming up next.
H.Friedmann
I read an abridged version of War and Peace when I was in high school - it summarized what was cut out. Sometimes when my eyes were crossing and my brain was tuning out, I thought I should have left well enough alone - but in the end there was a deeper read to the full length version.
In War and Peace Tolstoy explores free will and the perception of history. He does it in three ways. First, with the story arc of the characters. Second with the historical people such as Napoleon. And third with a
Sorento62
Dec 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone approximately 30 years or older, asap
Shelves: 2018-dws
I enjoyed the Neville Jason narration and the Maude translation of this two volume audio book War and Peace published by Naxos. The technique of giving the Russian peasants cockney accents was amusing, if a bit jarring.
Tolstoy was a great observer of the human condition and amazingly capable of conveying a wide variety of (mostly upper class) human experience with accuracy.
His thesis in War and Peace that free will is an illusion is an interesting one, though he belabors the point at times. The
Douglas
Nov 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The only regret I have is that I did not read this years ago. Wait... another regret is that I don't have the persuasive powers to encourage my reading friends to enjoy the investment it takes to read this classic. I am glad I had 9-10 hours a week on my bike to enjoy this very well read audio book. I am sure I would have enjoyed the writing, but I loved listening to the performance.
Lucie
Jan 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
This is it, I finished reading War and Peace! Once again, the battles parts were a bit hard for me to get through, even though they were described brilliantly. I absolutely loved reading about these characters' journeys and reading the epilogue made me a bit sad, considering I have to say goodbye now.
Richie
Mar 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just want to live inside the pages
Emilie
Jun 09, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I did it!!!
Jojoribbit
Jan 21, 2020 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Sweeping story once you figure out the names. A little long but getting through it and enjoyed the story line. Lots of spot on characters!
Alyaa Abdelaziz
May 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After reading this great novel , i think volume 2 is my favorite . just felt i wanna live inside the book !
Clif Hostetler
Jun 01, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One way of describing War and Peace is that its scope is as expansive and broad as the Russian countryside. Critics of the book pick up on this theme and agree with Henry James when he says that Russian novels are, “... large, loose, baggy monsters, with their queer elements of the accidental and the arbitrary,..." In other words, they have no obvious beginning, middle and end.

I agree that such a description can be applied to War and Peace, but once finished and I had a chance to reflect on the
Perry Whitford
May 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
'On the 12th of June 1812 the forces of Western Europe crossed the frontiers of Russia, and war began: in other words, an event took place counter to all the laws of human reason and human nature.'

This striking line occurs in the very first paragraph of the second volume of Tolstoy's towering novel, an effective preface for the wider, historical outlook taken by the author from the mid-point onwards of his great work.

Tolstoy is vehement in his didactic purpose to discredit the 'great man' theory
Bruce
Dec 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This epic work of historical fiction is a richly-detailed and thought-provoking tale of the Napoleonic Wars and human passion. The competing thrones of Napoleon and Czar Alexander I are vividly recounted through the lives and deaths in three noble Russian families: the Rostovs, the Bolkonskys and Bezukhovs and their contemporaries. Both battle scenes and life on the home front are recounted. The domestic is related with sharp social commentary as witty as Jane Austin, and the fog of war and its ...more
Emilia
Jun 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Often called the greatest novel ever written, War and Peace is at once an epic of the Napoleonic Wars, a philosophical study, and a celebration of the Russian spirit. Tolstoy’s genius is seen clearly in the multitude of characters in this massive chronicle—all of them fully realized and equally memorable. Out of this complex narrative emerges a profound examination of the individual’s place in the historical process
There are a number of sub-plots in this great classic, and of course a love story
Carol
Nov 13, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
This is volume two of this tome. Finishing it was a major literary accomplishment. As I read this book, I kept track of my progress on a Tolstoy Facebook page. Unfortunately, that group was revamped, and that journey was deleted.
War and Peace isn't just a novel, it is a philosophical treatise as well. The story and the history are easy in comparison and are just the background for his real purpose.
Tolstoy wrote other books on religion and art which I haven't read. Judging from parts of War and
Susan
Oct 18, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
This is the second volume of War and Peace! I think it took me a year to read both I & II wth a "few" other (lighter) novels in between. But I canhonestly say Iread War & Peace through to page 1444! ...more
Marina Sinelnikova
Tolstoy did not like his characters (especially women) and I am not sure I like him as a person, but his characters are marvellously alive and recognizable, and his turn of phrase is often startling but memorable.
Achab_
Feb 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: divers
Through big and small events, the stories of countries and families, Tolstoy tries to understand History and the powers behind wars. What makes millions of persons follow one individual across the whole of Europe to kill and die? Fascinating!
Rita
Feb 06, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Long. Long. But books like this are famous for a reason. It was good.
Mar 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is worth all the hype. I didn't care for all the philosophizing at the end and sometimes in between, but fully enjoyed the stories.
Daniel Tammet
Aug 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read my review on the Guardian Book Blog: http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/books... ...more
Phoenix2
If I got half of what Tolstoy wrote in War and peace, I will consider myself lucky. One of the most difficult yet fascinating books I have ever read, with great ideas about war and history.
Migel Ml
Sep 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great Book with nice intrigue, good portrait of noble private live and cool surpizes
Colleen
May 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: finished
Wow. Enjoyed it more than I thought I would. Just the right mix of historical events and fiction.

• الإخوة كارامازوف #1
  • الأخوة كارامازوف #2
  • الإخوة كارامازوف #4
  • The Gambler
  • Regards et jeux dans l'espace: poésie
  • Les Misérables: Volume Two
  • Dead Souls
  • Notre-Dame
  • Le Comte de Monte-Cristo II (Le Comte de Monte-Cristo #2 of 2)
  • حياة الكتابة : مقالات مترجمة عن الكتابة
  • وفاة موظف
  • قنديل أم هاشم
  • آخرین انار دنیا
  • Esir Şehrin İnsanları (Esir Şehir Üçlemesi, #1)
  • The Idiot
  • Mi suicidio
  • Alp Er Tunga
  • Timur
Lev Nikolayevich Tolstoy (Russian: Лев Николаевич Толстой; commonly Leo Tolstoy in Anglophone countries) was a Russian writer who primarily wrote novels and short stories. Later in life, he also wrote plays and essays. His two most famous works, the novels War and Peace and Anna Karenina, are acknowledged as two of the greatest novels of all time and a pinnacle of realist fiction. Many consider To ...more

War and Peace, 4 Volumes (4 books)
  • War and Peace, V1