Start by marking “Emma Learns to Sprout” as Want to Read:
Emma Learns to Sprout

Emma Learns to Sprout

"Emma learns to sprout" is a lovely pictures book which describes in a simple and enjoyable way and with fantastic illustrations how Emma, a kindergartener, learns to sprout legumes with her mom.
Sprouting is a great way to provide your children with more vitamins, minerals and other nutrients in a fun, quick, simple and cheap way! It doesn't require anything but basic dis
Published July 18th 2014

To ask other readers questions about Emma Learns to Sprout, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Emma Learns to Sprout

Dianne
Has Shir Guez found the secret weapon in the never ending battle to get children to eat healthier, try more varieties of food? Simply delightful and endearing, Emma Learns to Sprout is a short lesson in learning not only what sprouts are, but how to grow and utilize them in the food choices a child makes, all while sharing quality family time with a young child. With a gentle and calming flow and beautifully illustrated pages, Ms. Shirz has created a wonderful read for families to enjoy, while e ...more
Julie Barrett
Nov 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Emma Learns to Sprout (children's book about nutrition) (Picture Book for Preschool) (Ages 3-8)
This illustrated colorful children's book is about sprouting. When I first heard of this I thought they were going to do something with Brussels sprouts.
Glad I took the time to read this and to really understand what sprouting is and all the steps along the way of the process. Love the end result of even healthier foods to garnish our meals with.
Love that the children in our lives can also help us in
Fungi From Yuggoth
This is a very enjoyable and timely book for children. A lesson "for life" is taught in health and nutrition, while a mother-daughter project cooperation is modeled. I would have preferred a few more illustrations, and to break up the text with interspersal of illustrations, considering the age group.

I purchased this book during a free download period, and reviewed at the request of the author.
Janice Spina
Dec 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Emma Learns to Sprout is a a clever way to teach children to eat healthy. It makes sprouting a fun thing to do and creates a way for children to take an active role in choosing a healthier way to eat.

This reader learned something new too - how to sprout.
Mary Brown
Nov 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Emma Learns To Sprout by Shir Guez is a fun and educational children’s book, for ages 3-8. It combines healthy eating habits with cute illustrations to hold your child’s interest. With obesity being so prevalent in our society, any way to help promote healthy eating is important.

Emma’s mother asks Emma if she would like to learn to sprout. Her mother explains what sprouting is and why it is a fun and makes for healthier eating habits. Every day they do what is needed to sprout and Emma gets more
Chris The Story Reading Ape
Sep 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-reviewed
This is an excellent little story that may help those with children who shout and scream "Don't like them!" when vegetables appear on the plate.
Show and teach them how to quickly grow their own special ones!
The author mentions a few beans and pulses that may be sprouted, but with a little research you'll find more.

See my review also at:

ht
Marjorie
Oct 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Given To Me For An Honest Review

Shir Guez's book Kids Book: Emma Learns to Sprout (children's book about nutrition) is a must read for all children. It is about a girl named Emma who likes to cook with her mother. Her mother shows her how to "sprout". As Emma is sprouting her beans she keeps asking if they are ready yet, Mom says "Not yet". Finally the day comes when they are ready. They have the sprouts for lunch. Emma is excited because they are so good. She is happy because she can't wait unt
Nancy Silk
Nov 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
"A Very Good Educational Young Children's Book"

This is a short but very delightful children's book to entice interest in kids about sprouting seeds and to help them learn how to eat healthy foods. Emma's first lesson is how to sprout seeds such as beans, chickpeas, lentils and even sunflower seeds into healthy foods. It's quite the task of rinsing, rinsing, and waiting until the little tails grow to an edible stage. Emma learns how to use these sprouts in salads and other menus. Her mother is ve
Elaine
A fantastic way to encourage young children to grow things and eat healthily!

The book tells the story of Emma and her Mum working together to sprout lentils and then eat them. It describes the process in a way that will appeal to the target audience and encourage them to want to do this for themselves - including eating the produce! The book is well illustrated and the text is written in a manner that children in the target age range will easily relate to. It introduces sprouting lentils but sug
Marilou George
Jan 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shir Guez has written a wonderful children’s book that serves a dual purpose. It is entertaining for children and also teaches them about good nutrition, healthy eating habits, and that good nutrition is something that they can enjoy.

You can feel the anticipation Emma has as her Mother teaches her how to sprout and to patiently wait until the process is completed. After all her waiting she enjoys the sprouts for lunch and feels the satisfaction of not only loving them, but of sprouting them hers
Chrys Fey
Sep 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I downloaded this book for free and am so happy that I did! Emma Learns to Sprout is a sweet children's book about a little girl who learns to sprout lentils with the help of her mom. This is an invaluable book for children that'll teach them about eating healthier and sprouting, of course! The next time my nephews come over I am going to read them this book. Actually, I'll have the oldest read it to me, and then we'll try sprouting our own lentils. :)

The illustrations for Emma Learns to Sprout
K.r. Morrison
Jan 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Emma got to learn something today that most of us wouldn’t learn in a lifetime. She learned the process and the reasons behind sprouting.

No, she is not a sunflower.

She is a little girl whose mother teaches her with love and patience. And she will be taking away from her lessons not only the nutritional importance of sprouted seeds and beans—she will have another experience in how much her mother loves her.

Told with sweetness and with the aid of some truly beautifully-drawn pictures, this story n
Tonja Drecker
Nov 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
As a gardener (and a mother who always pulls her kids out into the dirt with her), I thought this book was wonderful. The author uses a lovely story and illustrations to go through the process of planting a seed, nurturing it and watching it sprout. She explains not only how to do this, but why, how long it takes and what the little plant looks like in the process.

But after reading this, get ready to do some work because the kids are going to want to try it out themselves and delve into the wo
April
Nov 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Educational and delightful...

For ages 3-8. What a delightful,educational and informative book on nutrition. Young readers will delight in Emma's curious nature on growing "sprouts", their use, and how to make them thrive. Easy to understand, well written and informative. Highly recommended for not only young readers but for educators, librarians, parents and grandparents. Anyone who enjoys growing things will enjoy this title. Well done.

*Personal Buy*

Rating: 4.5
Heat rating: N/A
Reviewed by: Apri
Royene Bozek
Jan 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a children's book about learning to sprout seeds. Emma's mom explains the different steps involved in getting the seeds ready to plant and grow in order to eat them. She explains how its more healthy, as well as getting more vitamins, iron, and protein which will helps them to become stronger. It's a cute book that opens up healthier living to a younger generation. I think the illustrations are great and flat out adorable too!
Dennis Waller
Aug 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I downloaded this book to read to the grandkids and hope to have them learn about where sprouts come from. My first impression was the beautifully done illustrations. The storyline is engaging and fun and as I read this to my grandsons, their interest was peaked and started asking when we could start making our own sprouts. An excellent tool to help educate children on a neat subject like sproutd. I liked it and the kids loved it.
Amy Shannon
Nov 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Delightful learning tool for children.

Wonderfully written with vibrant and colorful pictures. It's a book that children will love to read without realizing that they are also learning about how to garden or grow beans. This book will make children want to follow the book and grow their own beans. Highly recommended for children from kindergarten on up, may be a little too advanced for younger kids, but it's a great learning tool, too.
Katie W
Dec 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
I've never tried to sprout before, mainly because it seemed too hard to do. This book shows that it's really simple and a lot healthier for you to do so.

I liked the way it was formatted. Emma questions her mother and her mother explains the process. It's done in a way, with illustrations, that makes it easy to understand--for both children and adults. There's good information in here, but it's told in a story-like way that will appeal to kids. I just may have to try sprouting!
Diana
Dec 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
A great, fun approach to discovering the healthy benefits in growing and eating sprouts. A beautiful mentoring story between a mother/daughter working together in the kitchen, watering the seeds daily. An interactive journey for young people, teaching them how to grow their own food. There's many beautiful pictures to enjoy but I think the story line needs to be developed a little bit more. Overall, a very nice book.
Chris Meads
Oct 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a really cute book. I love the concept of sprouting and being able to eat different seeds within days of putting them in a bowl. I think this would help lead children to eat better and also maybe to start growing vegetables in a garden. Also kids like taking part in doing things with adults.

I would recommend this books to parents wanting to teach their children to eat better. My hat's off to Shir Guez for a wonderful book.
Sandra Stiles
Jul 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
This is a cute book about Emma and her mother who teachers her all about sprouting. I’m ashamed to say, growing up on a farm I was clueless about sprouting. I had never even heard of sprouting. The story explains the process so that it is simple yet fun. The best part is that the whole process encourages children to eat what they sprout, which is healthy for them.
Randy
Aug 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Interesting little book here, one that can maybe teach children to eat healthier. Kindergartner Emma is shown by her mother how to sprout seeds for use in salads or just to eat outright. Perhaps ways to cook them also.

The artwork is bright with colors and sure to catch a small child's eye.

Definitely a fun book.
Jessica
Nov 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Loved it

My son and I read this book tonight and really enjoyed it. I like it that they wanted to sprout the seed until it grew a long tail and eat it. we might try that with sunflower seeds because we DO love them!
Rebecca Bryant
Dec 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book was so cute. I thought it was beautifully written and so very clever of author to make eating healthy so enjoyable. I also like how the mother in the book got the daughter involved in the process of healthy eating.
Joy
Oct 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Very cute children's book , my granddaughter loves it as well :)
Mrs Mommy Booknerd http://mrsmommybooknerd.blogspot.com

A cute story about a mother and daughter learning to eat healthy and to be patient. A great read along story for young children. 3.5 stars
Sapphyria
Jun 30, 2017 rated it liked it
This is a very short but cute book about showing children how to grow/make their own food. Making sprouts from seeds is easy to explain and help a child understand. The author shows how excited a child can be to help do something like sprout seeds to eat later. Bright pictures assist in relaying the story from the beginning - just plain veggie seeds - to the end - edible sprouts.
Jeannie Walker
Oct 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I love the fact that the author dedicated this book to nephews and nieces.
I also love the illustrations and the teaching method the author uses to entice children to learn about how plants grow and how the sprouts can enrich their lives.
It is all too common that many people have digestive issues. I believe the easiest way to prevent this dilemma is for a child to learn early in life to eat the right foods.
In my opinion, this book is a plus for parents as well as children and provides a great pa
Penny Minding Mom
Dec 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
"Sprouting" isn't something I know anything about. I've eaten bean sprouts in my stir fry's but that's about it. I never once considered growing them. In the book "Emma Learns to Sprout", we join Emma and her mother as they grow sprouts for their dinner.

Emma's Mom wants to teach her daughter the importance of eating healthy, so she decides to teach her daughter how to grow her own sprouts. As her Mom explains that sprouts are high in protein, iron and vitamins Emma gets excited and decides that
Julie
Dec 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Emma Learns to Sprout by Shir Guez is a very cute story that gives insight into a child’s view regarding sprouting.

The ebook is a quick read that shares the conversation between Emma and her mother as the mom teaches Emma about sprouting her favorite foods and also why nutrition is so important. Emma becomes excited about the concept of sprouting and happily helps her mom with the process.

Emma Learns to Sprout is well illustrated with colored pictures. The ebook is easy to understand and would

description     description     description     description     description

Shir Guez is an author of health books and the editor in chief of a health website.
After a lifestyle changing, she is now determined to spread the word about the great effects of healthy living.
All of her children's books are dedicated to her nephews and nieces.
Shir also holds a double major in economics and accounting.