Start by marking “The Living End (Daniel Faust, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Living End (Daniel Faust, #3)

The Living End

(Daniel Faust #3)

As the FBI closes in on the Las Vegas underworld, Daniel Faust -- grifter, thief, and sorcerer -- isn't the only one feeling the heat. Half-demon racket boss Nicky Agnelli is fighting to hang onto his empire, leaving a trail of dead informants in his wake, while Daniel's ex-girlfriend Jennifer rallies her forces on the street and aims her sights at Nicky's crown.

Meanwhil
Published August 27th 2014 by Demimonde Books

To ask other readers questions about The Living End, please sign up.

Start your review of The Living End (Daniel Faust, #3)
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
🃏 Get Those Magic Decks Of Cards Out of Storage We're Doing the Danny-Boy-IS-MINE⁠ Thingie Again Buddy Reread (GTMDoCOoSWDtDBIMTABR™) with the MacHalos and Stuff 🃏

And the moral of this rereread is: it is a truth universally acknowledged that one should never leave home without a severed head. Because you never know when it might come in handy and stuff.

Killer smile is optional but doesn't hurt. FYI and stuff.

[March 2018]

Daniel Faust and Cait are Mine Mine Mine Buddy Reread with my MacHalo Wi
carol.
Nov 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of urban fantasy
If you like urban fantasy, I highly recommend giving Craig Schaefer's Daniel Faust a try. Apparently my first two reviews were complicated by a now-repaired broken finger (and quite possibly a little pain-killing medication), so I owe Faust a decent review.

Let me give you an idea how much I enjoy this series:

Enough that I've bought the first four books of the Daniel Faust series for my kindle at full price, and I never pay more than three dollars for a e-book.

Enough that I save them for riding t
Montzalee Wittmann
Mar 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
The Living End by Craig Schaefer and narrated by Adam Verner is a great addition to the series. Half-human demon mobsters, someone using magic and chemicals to kidnap homeless people, lab experiments, and lots of other supernatural craziness happiness going on. But Daniel is on it with his demon girl friend! Great story and narration!
Choko
Mar 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
*** 4.44 ***

"... “A witch, a sorcerer, and a fucking demon from hell say I’m not trustworthy.” “You’re a psychopath,” I said. She shrugged. “I’ve been told that means that I know the difference between right and wrong, I just don’t care. Hey, that description sound like anybody you know, Faust?” ..."

I don't think I need to repeat myself in saying how good Craig Schaefer is at making books that explode in your brain, filling it with action, mystery, pure Pulp brilliance and characters that ha
Lo9man88
Feb 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm glad to say that this series is picking up , it's getting better and better , Daniel is evolving as character he's more confident and devious than before and his deck of cards is starting to grow on me .... looking forward to the next book... ...more
Gavin
Jan 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paranormal
This third instalment in the Daniel Faust series was just as much fun to read as the first two books in the series were. Craig Schaefer has done a fantastic job of seamlessly blending some hilarious dialogue and happenings into a very dark and gritty Vegas set UF noir. The story was fast paced and filled with action, drama, and plenty of cool supernatural happenings!

Life is not proving easy for Daniel Faust, ex-gangster and sorcerer for hire, as he has a whole host of problems to deal with. His
Fiona
Jan 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love re-reads; after reading the later books in this series, there's a whole new lens to everything.

The Living End, I think, marks the place where Craig Schaefer really started to hit his stride with this series. It's not that I don't also love the first two books - I'm an unapologetic fangirl about anything he writes - but you can feel when an author starts to relax into a story more, and that's absolutely how I felt reading this book.

Rounding off the last part of the inital storyline that k
Milda Page Runner
May 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Milda by: Gavin
Another fast'n'fun read in Daniel Faust series. Recommended to all UF fans.
Mr. Matt
Sep 29, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014, fantasy-urban
The events of the first two books come to a head in The Living End. And what an end! Daniel Faust's arch-nemesis Lauren Carmichael is on the verge of remaking the world in her image. Her twenty year plans have finally come to fruition. Now all she needs is a mass human sacrifice that will allow her to channel the life energy needed to bridge the fabric of reality itself. And all that stands between her and her brave new world is Daniel.

Despite the fact that the Faust books fall into the urban fa
Emma
Nov 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars. Best book in the series so far. So much action right from the start. Great storyline and cast of characters with a nice lead in to the next book. Recommended.
Steve
The Living End is an outstanding wrap-up to the first Daniel Faust story arc which began with The Long Way Down and continued in Redemption Song.

Just like the first two volumes, this one is chock full of a fascinating mythology, conspiracies galore, plot twists that will turn you round-and-round (like a record, baby), and evil villains set out for world domination and destruction.

My favorite part of this book (of the series, really) is how the author sets up the plot like a caper in Ocean’s 11/1
Lukasz
Jan 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Living End solidifies Daniel Faust series as my current favorite Urban Fantasy. While I’m not a hardcore UF reader, I’m no stranger to the genre. I know the classics. I await Peace Talks impatiently. I’m open to UF stuff in general.

In third book of the series, plot tightens and all threads started in previous books come together, the closer we get to the climax.

Lauren Carmichael’s plans come to fruition. There are few nefarious forces at play here. Some would love to turn the world into a lu
Eric
Jan 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 Stars

The Living End was another excellent addition in the Daniel Faust series. Dark, moody, and fast paced, it solidified this series as one of my favorite urban fantasy series out there.

The third book in the ongoing stories of Faust, The Living End continued his struggle against Lauren Carmichael and her plans to gain power. Additionally, his friend and tech wizard Pixie asks for his help as dozens of her regulars at the soup kitchen are going missing. As Faust digs deeper into Lauren’s sche
Alissa
Sep 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-ebooks
3.5 stars.

The key to stage magic is playing on assumptions. You don’t need elaborate stages and thousand-dollar props to perform a good trick—you just need an audience ready and primed to be fooled.

“My choices are mine,” she said. “You helped see to that. And I choose you. Anyone who has a problem with that is welcome to challenge me on the plains of Limbo. Every notch on my hunting spear is the end of another fool’s story.”

I wanted a drink, but not here. Winter wasn’t my kind of place. I was a
Desinka
Nov 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a great third installment of the series. Daniel and his team were on top of things again. And there wasn't a single boring moment in the entire book! I'm keeping reading:) ...more
Mihir
Dec 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Full review over at Fantasy Book Critic

Overall Rating = 4 & 1/2 stars

CLASSIFICATION: Featuring a cast of anti-heroes and with a magician con-man as the protagonist, the Daniel Faust series is Richard Stark's Parker crossed with The Dresden Files and set in Las Vegas.

OVERVIEW/ANALYSIS: The Living End is the third volume in the Daniel Faust series and brings to a close to the first arc of the series (Lauren Carmichael trilogy). This book like its predecessors has a host of plot threads that are
Kateblue
Mar 29, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
I'm torn between giving this book 3 or 4 stars, but I liked it better than number 2. I was confused at the beginning because I did not remember the bad guys from the previous book. It seemed like the book just started in the middle for some reason, and that first incident still doesn't make much sense to me.

But it got better after that, for sure

I do like this series, and will continue
Jason
Jun 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
4 Stars

Living End by Craig Schaefer is a fantastic third book in the Daniel Faust series. Many people draw comparisons of this book to that of Jim Butcher's Dresden Files, but this one leans more to the 'R' Rated side than does the really 'PG' Dresden Files. I confess that the whole urban fantasy series has become my guilty pleasure reads. My love for the genre elevates everything I read. I only know that right now, I cannot seem to get enough from a genre filled with everything from ghosts and
Tammy
Jan 09, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Eh, just eh, again. I'm seriously contemplating not reading the rest of the series. I'm just not caught onto the characters or the plot it's just a bunch of shitty people doing shitty things trying to make themselves feel better about being shitty. There doesn't seem to be a single redeemable person in the entire book. Well Melanie maybe Melanie she might be the only redeemable person and she's in for but two sentences in every book. ...more
Bart
Jul 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-read
4 stars [actual rating: 4.25]
THE BIBLIOPHILE (Rituranjan)
A highly entertaining sequel with breakneck pacing and slick action. It also gives more insight into the world that Schaefer is building through these novels. A few mysteries are unveiled, and some are left unanswered to keep the story going. This novel is the culmination of the storyarc that we came across in the previous two books. As always the writing is lucid and witty, and there are some well-thought liners in the narrative.

It begins with a case of missing homeless people, Daniel investiga
Jason
This review is probably going to sound pretty negative, so I'll preface it by saying that this book is generally at the same level of the previous two. If you enjoyed the first two books in the series (as I did), you'll probably enjoy this one too (as I did).

As I was reading through this book, I came to a couple of conclusions. The first was that I liked the Daniel Faust series. The second, however, I also liked it measurably less than both Dresden Files and The Rivers of London, both series in
terka
DNF at about 30% in or so. I tried to give it another chance after putting it away for some months but nope.
The first two books were... okay. But what reaaaaally irks me is the forced romance. The incredibly old succubus, who, by her nature, should not fall for anyone, instantly falls in love with her rescuer... kind of clashes with her being a strong female, since although everyone keeps saying how dangerous and scary she is all she does is be supportive to the main character and get rescued by
Diana
Mar 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is definitely one of my favorites in the series. There are so many exciting things happening and the arc involving Lauren is finally coming to an end. Overall, my favorite part has to be the relationship between Daniel and Caitlin. I love that she is constantly being pulled between her nature as a sucubus and her love for Daniel. I cannot believe that she almost murdered him in his sleep so that she would be able to keep him with her forever, because she already knows where he's going. It's ...more
Queen Terrible Timy
This review was originally posted on RockStarlit BookAsylum!

Actual rating: 4.5*

“Yeah, I was familiar with demonic posession. The drug coursing through my veins, hauling me through flashes of stark memory, forcing me to feel it all over again. Creatures of toxic waste burrowed like maggots in my brain, pissing behind my eyeballs, sratching bone and carving filthy graffiti inside my skull.”

It’s been a couple of years since I’ve read the first two books, The Long Way Down and Redemption Song in the
Kira
Nov 12, 2016 rated it really liked it

Justin
“I was about one demographic too old, one decade out of fashion, and two tax brackets too poor to hang with this crowd”

4.0/5.0 ‘The Living Edge’ wraps up a three book arc that started in its series inception. The story wraps up well only leaving one or two things unsolved. It still runs with the heist-but-not-really-a-heist theme as the gang of characters takes on their archenemy. Still fantastic story telling and, on a side note, I have never mentioned how much I’ve loved these covers.
Steffan
Apr 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.25/5 stars
Logan
May 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars. Great ending to this one, with lots of potential left for the next books.
kartik narayanan
Jul 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read the full review at my site https://wp.me/p89tYT-g1

He held out his hand. “Give it to me,” he hissed as his fingernails lengthened into claws. “If you insist,” I said. Then I shot him in the face.

The "Daniel Faust” series, written by Craig Schaefer, is an urban fantasy starring an anti-hero. The series consists of 7 books and a novella so far. Unlike other urban fantasy series like The Dresden Files, this series is far more violent, gritty and is noir in its approach to this setting. The prot
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Forged (Alex Verus, #11)
  • Ballistic Kiss (Sandman Slim, #11)
  • The Knight Advocate: A Colt Valentine Arcane Justice Novel
  • Blood Tally (Valkyrie Collections, #2)
  • The Lycanthrope's Lawyer: An Urban Fantasy Legal Thriller (Colt Valentine Arcane Justice #2)
  • Lost Soul (Harbinger P.I., # 1)
  • Dark Magic (Harbinger P.I. Book 3)
  • Buried Memory  (Harbinger P.I. #2)
  • Limelight (Arcane Casebook #5)
  • I’m Glad You’re Dead (The Preternatural Chronicles, #1)
  • Uncanny Collateral (Valkyrie Collections, #1)
  • Fallen (Alex Verus, #10)
  • The Long Chain (Arcane Casebook, #3)
  • The Unnatural Inquirer (Nightside, #8)
  • Blood Relation (Arcane Casebook #6)
  • Ghost of a Chance (Arcane Casebook #2)
  • Hell to Pay (Nightside, #7)
  • Mind Games (Arcane Casebook, #4)
Craig Schaefer's books have taken readers to the seamy edge of a criminal underworld drenched in shadow (the Daniel Faust series), to a world torn by war, poison and witchcraft (the Revanche Cycle), and across a modern America mired in occult mysteries and a conspiracy of lies (the Harmony Black series).

Despite this, people say he's strangely normal. Suspiciously normal, in fact. His home on the W

Daniel Faust (9 books)
  • The Long Way Down (Daniel Faust, #1)
  • Redemption Song (Daniel Faust, #2)
  • A Plain-Dealing Villain (Daniel Faust, #4)
  • The Killing Floor Blues (Daniel Faust, #5)
  • The Castle Doctrine (Daniel Faust, #6)
  • Double or Nothing (Daniel Faust, #7)
  • The Neon Boneyard (Daniel Faust, #8)
  • The Locust Job (Daniel Faust, #9)

News & Interviews

“Mob mentality is like wildfire. It spreads fast and hard, and suddenly you find yourself surrounded by really smart people making really bad decisions.” 3 likes
“Now bottle your hatred and store it in your heart’s pantry for a thirstier day.” 2 likes