Start by marking “The Girl In Between (The Girl In Between Series #1)” as Want to Read:
The Girl In Between (The Girl In Between Series #1)

The Girl In Between

(The Girl in Between #1)

Librarian's Note: Alternate cover for this ASIN can be found here.

Bryn Reyes is a real life sleeping beauty. Afflicted with Klein-Levin Syndrome, she suffers episodes of prolonged sleep that steal weeks, and sometimes even months, from her life. But unlike most KLS patients, she doesn’t spend each episode in a catatonic state or wake up with no recollection of the time she
Published September 30th 2014

To ask other readers questions about The Girl In Between, please sign up.
Emma I got this book for free at a kindle store action, snd so I was expecting it to be some baddly written book by an author that was desperate to get…moreI got this book for free at a kindle store action, snd so I was expecting it to be some baddly written book by an author that was desperate to get noticed andknew that noone would buy the book because it was so bad, but itwas a ctually really good. (less)
Susan It's not a whole book. It's only the first chapters of a story that's spread over four books. It ends abruptly with a CLIFFHANGER and a weblink to buy…moreIt's not a whole book. It's only the first chapters of a story that's spread over four books. It ends abruptly with a CLIFFHANGER and a weblink to buy the other books! :((less)

Dianne
I sure wasn’t expecting this one to take me by storm with its sheer brilliance and originality! Sit back, let go of those niggling little doubts about “could this really happen just like this,” and enjoy a strong teen heroine in an unimaginable situation! THE GIRL IN BETWEEN by Laekan Zea Kemp is complete entertainment from start to finish.

Bryn is like a real life sleeping beauty. She could fall asleep and remain that way for days, weeks or even months, but while the world moves on all around he
Carol (StarAngel's Reviews) Allen
4.25 KLS Stars

FREE

This book BLEW ME AWAY!!

A unique and emotional book centering around Bryn and her battle with KLS or otherwise known as "Sleeping Beauty Syndrome"

This is her journey trying to juggle school, getting accepted into college, her ex, graduation, prom all while battling her coma-like sleeps lasting anywhere from a few days to months.

Normally she would retreat into her dreams that would consist of her past memories until it was time to wake back up ----- until suddenly a mysterious
Keighley
Jun 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This book was wonderful & FREE!!

Why havent more people heard of it?!

I found this book when looking through the Fantasy / Paranormal Freebies on Amazon and so glad I did!

Plot
The story is about Bryn, a 17 year old girl suffering from a rare illness:

Kleine-Levin Syndrome (KLS) is a rare and complex neurological disorder characterized by recurring periods of excessive amounts of sleep, altered behavior, and a reduced understanding of the world. The disorder strikes adolescents primarily but c
Kristen Burns
4 Stars

Full Review:
I’m going to preface this review with two negative things, but don’t let them scare you off just yet.

Number one, I’ve read this whole series (I’ve read Books 1-3 twice, actually), and this book and the first half of Book 2 were great, but the paranormal stuff got really inconsistent after that.

Number two, I don’t consider this a spoiler but it’s something you don’t find out for sure until later in the series, so... *MILD SPOILER ALERT* (view spoiler)
Tanja (Tanychy) St. Delphi/James
Sep 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary
Review also posted at Ja čitam, a ti?

It's been over a year now since I've got to read Breathing Ghost, I believe Leakan's first book and I couldn't believe that I had a chance to read such an interesting book. I fell in love with her writing then and I couldn't wait to read her new books. So I have finally got a chance to read The Girl In Between.

Knowing little about the author, I assumed that I'm going to read something unusual here and I did, in fact. It's a story about Bryn, who suffers fro
Rosiemae Burton
Honestly feeling very underwhelmed by this book. The description drew me in but the content was a let down. Didn't have any connection with the characters, no chemistry, the book was very hard to get into, couldn't tell who the narrator was for the first half of the book and the end was very anti-climatic. Will not be continuing with the series.
Kenchiin
Jul 07, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The concept is good, but the story itself is quite uninteresting (same for the characters).
I wouldn't say "don't read it" but I wouldn't say "read it" either.
Aja: The Narcoleptic Ninja
What sort of horrible cliffhanger is that!?

I have like 4 other books I've been WAITING to read, but I need the fricken sequel for this!

GAH!
Terri
Oct 30, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I found this book for free on my kindle and thought the plot sounded interesting and it had a lot of 5 star reviews, so I downloaded it. All I can say is ugh, I am only 11% into the book and I just can not keep reading it. I have spent more time convincing myself to give it a little more time and a few more pages then I have actually spent reading it. I mean I enjoy a good YA novel but this is just horrid. I have no desire to waste my precious reading time on teen angst, partying, teen drinking ...more
AHeartFullOfBooks❣️
4.5*
What a phenomenal book. A book so sensual and real and thoughtful that I couldnt help but drown in it’s world. The story follows a girl who has a rare disease called Klein-Levin Syndrome. It causes the patient to sleep for long periods for an indefinite amount of time. We follow Bryn through her life between the real world and her dream-like state, trying to put her life back together into a sense of normalcy for her own sake as well as others around her. Then this boys who has no past, no
Melissa Levine
Charlie
1.5/5 Stars

DNF at 47%.

The cover is lovely. The blurb promising. But at 47% I'm finding it more and more difficult to keep interest in a story which I find to be dragging, the plotline disappointing so far which is giving me trouble to engage, especially when I have no emotional connection to any of the characters at all. So it's a DNF sadly.
Michelle
I guess I'm just somewhat underwhelmed? The premise was good, but it kinda drags at certain points and it needs some editing. I feel no connection with any of the characters, and that makes it hard to care about them at all. There's more books in this series, but at the moment I don't feel inclined to read them, although I might eventually.
DW
Oct 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a great read for me. Confusing at times but I loved it.
Of course there was a cliffhanger.
Sarah Hadd
Jun 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
NO WAY THAT JUST ENDED THAT WAY!! AAAHHHH ARE YOU SERIOUS?!?! Cliffhanger and there is no sequel?!?! DOES THE UNIVERSE HATE ME?!?
Sue
Jun 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fairytale, paranormal
The Girl In Between is unlike any book I’ve read before and is an excellent start to a YA paranormal series. Even better is that all books in the trilogy are now available to read.

I was a little unsure about this book at first, but once I got a quarter of the way into it, the story really grew on me and grabbed my attention, and I found it very difficult to put down.

The story focusses on a teenage girl named Bryn who has a rare sleep disorder called Klein-Levin Syndrome or KLS. This illness is o
Lina
Mar 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"My dearest Bryn, dream with your heart and the universe will bend at your will"

I loved The Girl In Between. I loved that it made me feel that I was trying to figure out what was happening right along Bryn. This is the story of a girl that suffers of Klein-Levin Syndrome, which means she sleeps for days and even weeks in a row. She doesn't dream during her prolonged sleep but she goes to a place in her mind fill with memories, and so has been for the last four years until things start to change.
Dzenita
Apr 13, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: magical-realism
So our main character Bryn spends most of her days asleep due to her Kleine-Levin Syndrome (spelled Klein in the book). Because of this, Bryn doesn't have very many friends apart from her cousin Dani and friend Felix. This is Dani:
Nine years of riding bikes and chalking the sidewalk and copying each other's homework and spying on the neighbors. Nine years of growing up together...
You'd think that Bryn would love someone who has stuck by her even when she wasn't conscious. Instead Bryn is constan
Astrid Miles
Please allow me to start by saying, OH MY! Sadly, I do not mean that in a good way. This book has so much potential. On some parts, it is pretty good, but then on the rest, it is difficult to read and understand. The author tries to add these…poetic (?) parts. The ideas jump around, and there are moving objects within.

Let me back up to what this book is about, because as I said, it is a really cool idea. This girl is diagnosed with a disease that makes you sleep randomly and for an unknown amoun
Anna (Unquenchable Reads)
********I was sent an e-copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own********

Bryn is a sleeping beauty. She has Klein-Levin Syndrome. It makes her sleep for weeks and weeks. But when she’s in this state of sleep, she’s not like the other patients. She dreams. Except the dreams feel extremely real and she’s not alone there. Her symptoms are worsening and if she doesn’t figure this out soon, she’ll run out of time.

Rating: 4.5/5 stars

I enjoyed this book quite a lot. I’
April Wood

Author Laekan Zea Kemp adds her own twist to the complex neurological disorder, KLS, in this fascinating young adult urban fantasy about a real life sleeping beauty.

Teenager Bryn Reyes spends more than half of her life asleep. When her eyes shut, she wakes up in an alternate dreamland reality where she navigates through a world of her own mixed memories. During one of her episodes
Lex
Oct 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
After three weeks! Finally done reading! Review to come!! :)

Surprisingly, this retelling of Sleeping Beauty is such a good one. I mean, I'm one of those people who like medical terms and think they are sexy. Lmao. Even though most of the time, I just don't get it.

Anyway, I really liked the story of The Girl in Between and it really keep me on the edge of my toes while reading this. Been so busy with RL so it took me weeks since I barely read anything. I hate RL when it doesn't make me read anyt
Amanda Damiao
Apr 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really good

Execellent book. Very creative and well written. I really enjoyed. Couldnt put it down,even though it was a little predictable !
Ben Schneider
Better than expected. Not a bad read for anyone who likes real-world YA romance with a twist.
Ayah
Jan 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
" That was one of the worst things about being sick. Someone was always waiting on you, which meant disappointing people was inevitable."

As a person who has mixed headaches ( Migraine + Tension headache), I almost cried upon reading the quote above. I missed out on a lot of University events because of my headaches, which obviously made me upset. But then I have to call someone to apologize about missing an outing,etc..Now that always made feel so much worse. I remember missing out on our senior
Joana Veríssimo
Jul 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Again, I was so pleasantly surprised :) I wasn't completely sure that I would like this - the description was somewhat interesting, but it was the cover that sold me on it, because it's probably the most beautiful cover ever!!
The plot itself turned out to be very interesting, and there were a few times I feared that it was going in a wrong direction, but it didn't and it continued on a great path. I have no idea how faithful this is to KLS, but it was interesting to see the doctor's appointments
Anni Barkla
Jan 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow, Amazing! Not my usual read, but sooo good. I want more! What an awesome book, 10/10
Katie B (Bisforbookiemonster)
I’ll admit it, I’m extremely skeptical when it comes to the free YA books I find for my Kindle. They all seem to be the exact same plot with the exact same characters, regurgitated over and over in different settings and in different guises. It’s gotten to the point where I rarely even read the YA freebies anymore. But this one is different.

First of all, the premise struck me as something new and exciting. I love a paranormal teen romance as much as the next YA reader, but the fact that this doe
Sarah Theis
Jun 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-ebooks
This book is actually really good, especially since it was a free ebook 😱😁 Only half way done but I'm looking forward to seeing where it goes.

OMG!!

NOT A CLIFFHANGER!

Ok, to finish this review. This book was really interesting and I can't wait to read more! The whole idea of *SPOILER ALERT* something dark, a shadow, following her both in her dream world and then while she is awake? It SMILED at her?!? Her grandmother's flowers rotting and turning black and it spreading? It's so good and so creepy
For The Love of B...: The Girl In Between - Free 1 6 Jul 11, 2015 07:56PM
GIVEAWAY 1 9 Nov 01, 2014 06:20AM
  • The Dark Water (The Well's End, #2)
  • Private Internship (Art of Love #2)
  • Super Dark 3 (Super Dark, #3)
  • Wildflower (Wildflower, #1)
  • Fake (A Pretty Pill, #2)
  • The Lure of Shapinsay
  • Fractured Moon (Aurelia Fridell #1)
  • The Book of Shade
  • Shattered (Desire, #2)
  • Louder Than Words
  • Twelve Steps
  • Severed (Cloud Prophet Trilogy, #3)
  • The Appeal of Evil (The Road to Salvation, #1)
  • Perfect for You
  • His Frozen Heart (Brewer Brothers #1)
  • Hell Transporter (Between, #2)
  • Freakshow
  • The Weight of Guilt
Laekan Zea Kemp is a writer living in Austin, Texas. She received her B.A. in Creative Writing from Texas Tech University and her M.F.A. in Teaching from the University of North Texas. She’s the author of the paranormal romance series, The Girl In Between, and the forthcoming young adult novel, Pen & Xander. When she’s not writing she’s religiously re-watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer, reading ...more

The Girl in Between (4 books)
  • The Boy In Her Dreams (The Girl In Between, #2)
  • The Children of the Moon (The Girl In Between, #3)
  • The Daughter of the Night (The Girl in Between, #4)
“Because the truth was I was tired. I was tired of fighting but more importantly I was tired of losing, of being disappointed.” 8 likes
“People don’t exist in just the light or the dark. They exist in the contrast. In the shadows where the two overlap.” 6 likes