Start by marking “Blood Boy (I Hunt Killers, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
Blood Boy (I Hunt Killers, #0.5)

Blood Boy

(I Hunt Killers 0.5)

The author is donating his profits from this story to the Adam Lynch Award, a scholarship established by the Hemophilia Association of New York.

Fan-favorite character Howie Gersten — Jazz Dent’s hemophiliac best friend from the I HUNT KILLERS series — finally gets a story all his own! Set one year before the events of the series, “Blood Boy” takes you inside Howie’s
Kindle Edition, First, 39 pages
Published August 27th 2014 by Barry Lyga LLC

To ask other readers questions about Blood Boy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blood Boy

Start your review of Blood Boy (I Hunt Killers, #0.5)
Matt
Sep 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Matt by: Mariah Roze
Before commencing the ‘I Hunt Killers’ series, I wanted to round-out my reading experience with this final short story of character development and insight. Lyga has penned a number of them, all of which have proven to be highly useful to wet my feet before taking the plunge. This piece turns the focus on Howie Gersten, best friend to Jasper Dent and an interesting teenager in his own right. Plagued with hemophilia, Howie has been kept in a protective cocoon by his parents, which might explain ...more
Katherine
Sep 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Guys, it's a Jasper Dent novella. And it centers on Howie, who has made into my book as the "best best friend of a protagonist in the history of ever". Of COURSE I was going to give it five stars.

Even more so once I found out that all the profits from this book are being donated to the Hemophilia Association of New York, and the Adam Lynch award, which provides scholarships for college students who have hemophilia. Barry Lyga is officially awesome. Well, he already was, but you get what I mean!

Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
Jun 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-books
Loved getting inside Howie's head, even for a moment. This whole series has taken me by surprise with how much I have liked it so far. I can't wait for more.
 Marple
”I am blood boy”, Howie announced, planting his fists on his hips and striking a super hero pose. “ My power is to bleed on you”

This story set one year before the events of the series, “Blood Boy” takes you inside Howie’s hilariously twisted mind for one night only. Enjoy Halloween as only Howie can, learn more about his relationship with Jazz and Connie…and discover exactly what it is he’s keeping a secret from both of them.

”I am the face of spousal abuse”, Howie intoned with utter
T.J. Day
Nov 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Howie sincerely makes my day. If he's not quipping sexual innuendos, he's probably dead. He really has the best lines and his humor is great.

I loved this even more since Barry Lyga is donating every purchase of this novella to the Hemophilia Foundation of America. Since Howie himself has hemophilia, it's not only kind of the author, but great that he can share a character who has what can really be classified as a disability. Because simple scratches and bruises that people receive every day
Sibil
Sep 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was sooooooo sweet, and so much fun, and sad at the same time. I love Howard, his sense of humour and his positivity, and I am really sad for him, for his disease. I think Lyga had a stroke of genius with him. And I liked a lot to see him and Jazz make the teenager!
Olivia
Sep 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya-lit, ebook
3.5 stars just because it wasn’t long enough. I could probably read a whole book just about Howie. He’s a great character.
Melissa Noël
Hemophilia (and a lack of social grace) can make it difficult to "score" when you're Howie. A fun little read made even better when the author announced that every single penny made from this story is going towards helping an organization designed to help haemophiliacs!

Book #32 of the 2014 Reading Challenge.
Anis
Jul 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
im hoping that Howie will be with this Sexy Kid. muehehe
Vicki
Oct 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Loved this short little story that covers Howie and "Sexy Kid" at a party he and Connie and Jazz go to. Loved it.
TSam
Dec 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Man, it's nice to see that Howie's head is way more interesting than I've expected it to be. You can see in this he's more than just a comic-relief kind of character. To see how Howie has been wanting the feel to be treated like the others, I thought this book's has no character's motivation or its just a mindless spine-off but guess I was wrong.

Hell, now I'll like to have a book about Howie now.
Darinda
Nov 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-story-ya
A short story in the I Hunt Killers series by Barry Lyga. The events in this book take place before Book 1. This story is from Howie's POV. Howie, Jasper, and Connie go to a Halloween party. Quick, humorous, and fun. Good read for fans of this series.
Katie
Jun 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Awww, I really like Howie! He's such a sweet kid.
Louisa
Dec 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great short story! Loved being in Howie's head, of his attempts at romance, and all the bruises he gained throughout the night. Great story!
Elsa Munoz
Aug 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Howie

It's was nice to read something from Howie's point of view. It was definitely...an interesting short read to say the least ;)
Doghouse Gav
Sep 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fab

Loved the I hunt killers books. These short prequel books are great for getting the backstory to the main books characters.
Amanda
Nov 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book follows Howie, Jasper’s best friend. That’s pretty much all I can say. I loved it.
Stephenie Geschwender
Dec 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
I think besides Lucky Day this was my favorite of the prequels.
Emily
Apr 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Definitely the funniest of all the prequels. And made me realize how much I love and miss Howie.
Neon
Sep 18, 2016 rated it did not like it
This story baffled me and not even in a good way.

The main series started really good, but then you add this book to all the others and it just makes me dislike it, so much that I almost gave up on reading the rest. I didn't really see the point of this story?

The idea that Howie rebels against his condition is a good one, but it's an idea that could have fit in the main stories well enough, and yet we get a short story where Howie spends the entirety of it being gross and annoying, a narrative
Steven R. McEvoy
Aug 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I will be completely honest with you. I Hunt Killers, the Jasper Dent series is one of my favorite series in years. It is comprised of a trilogy of books, I Hunt Killers, Game and Blood of My Blood, and now 4 short stories of Novella's. They are: Lucky Day, Career Day, Neutral Mask and Blood Boy. This is the last of the short stories to be released.

Blood Boy is told primarily from Howie's perspective and shows some of the ways he tries to deal with his hemophilia. It recounts a Halloween night
Marika Charalambous
Nov 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Blood Boy focuses on Howie, Jazz’s best friend, who has a rather debilitating illness. He is hemophiliac, which means that pretty much any bump to his body will make him bleed.

This problem doesn’t stop him, however, from befriending the son of the most notorious serial killer the country has seen in a long time, which puts him often in dangerous situations, where his affliction could become deadly. But one thing Howie doesn’t want for himself – is to be treated like some kind of piece of China.

Omar Qureshi
Dec 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
Of the three main characters Howie is my lest favorite, I found his humor in his pov chapters too grating sometimes and it irked me, but surprisingly I actually really enjoyed this short story about him.

It's a nice insight into how much it really sucks for Howie to have his hemophiliac disease, and how difficult it is for him to do the simplest things other boys his age can. It's a view of Howie and his disease we never really got to see in the books; yeah we saw how easily he can end up in the
Kat Mandu
Dec 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Kat Mandu says...

Howie sincerely makes my day. If he’s not quipping sexual innuendos, he’s probably dead. He really has the best lines and his humor is great.

I loved this even more since Barry Lyga is donating every purchase of this novella to the Hemophilia Foundation of America. Since Howie himself has hemophilia, it’s not only kind of the author, but great that he can share a character who has what can really be classified as a disability. Because simple scratches and bruises that people
Katherine
Apr 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
In building the character of Howie, Lyga has made a perfect match in that he is both polar opposite and identical in situation. Loud, brash, politically incorrect, and a total horndog, Howie is literally larger than life. He is a large and obvious counterpoint to Jasper's quiet, calm charm. Yet, he has Class A hemophilia and in that is someone to be tip-toed around, someone fragile, someone to avoid. Just the same as Jasper he is ignored, avoided, and ostracized for what genetics have brought to ...more
The FountainPenDiva, Old school geek chick and lover of teddy bears
Seriously, Barry Lyga can do no wrong. I'm chomping at the damn bit forBlood Of My Blood. Until then I've got a great story starring Jazz's other ride or die (literally) best friend Howie. He may have hemophilia, but don't treat Howie like fine china. It's Holloween and he's determined to party on somewhere no one knows about his condition. Along with Jazz and Connie (and the exchange between him and Connie over her Black Widow costume is absolutely hilarious). Howie is loveable, but filters are ...more
Trish
Feb 20, 2015 rated it liked it
This review was first published on The Bookshelf at the End.

I like Howie, but this was my least favorite of all the prequels. To me, Howie is good in small doses, but having 39 pages with just him was pushing my patience. It was a great perspective on life as a hemophiliac though, and it really hit me at the end how hard his life is since he acts like it’s nothing in the trilogy. I’m happy he isn’t his disease, but this is a really good character analysis of Howie I think.

Kim
Jun 14, 2016 rated it it was ok
Not gonna lie Howie has annoyed me in the other books (well ok so far I've only read the first one) and novellas. I get that he's trying to be funny and he's supposed to be the comic relief, but 9 times out of 10 I just rolled my eyes because his brand of humor isn't funny to me. But in this book, which is actually his story, 9 times out of 10 I actually cracked a smile, maybe even a little chuckle out of his one liners.
René
May 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Howie's Turn

Party far away from their "usual" stomping grounds shows importance of friendship between Howie and Jasper. Reinforces background of how friendship started and why it's so important to each.
Exemplifies Howie's sense of humor and spirit of wanting his own girlfriend. Shows how far he's willing to go for each.
Darcy
Sep 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Sometimes a little of Howie can go a long way, this short story was perfect. I loved Howie's Halloween costume, very tongue in cheek for him. I get why he wanted to go to a party farther away, where no one knew him, gave him what he needed. Watching Howie actually flirt was a girl was fun, I was sorry that they were interrupted. But like Howie said, there is always next year.

• Over Your Dead Body (John Cleaver, #5)
  • Nothing Left to Lose (John Cleaver, #6)
  • Ghosts Just Wanna Have Fun: A Beechwood Harbor Ghost Mystery (The Beechwood Harbor Ghost Mysteries Book 6)
  • It's Okay to Be Different
  • Humpty Dumpty Lived Near a Wall
  • Mindful Day
  • I Am Peace: A Book of Mindfulness
  • Miracle in the Mundane: Poems, Prompts, and Inspiration to Unlock Your Creativity and Unfiltered Joy
  • Hell Hath No Fury (Federal Bureau of Magic Cozy Mystery #7)
  • Ghostly Charms (A Harper Harlow Mystery, #14)
  • Hex Type Thing (A Moonstone Bay Cozy Mystery, #5)
  • Lawn Gone!: Low-Maintenance, Sustainable, Attractive Alternatives for Your Yard
  • Guide to Supporting Children Through Bereavement and Loss: Emotional Wellbeing in School and at Home
  • Sweep - Stakes (Wicked Witches of Coventry Book 6)
  • Broom with a View (Wicked Witches of Coventry Book 3)
  • A Clean Sweep (Wicked Witches of Coventry Book Book 4)
  • Panic Broom (Wicked Witches of Coventry Book 5)
  • Doom and Broom (Wicked Witches of Coventry Book 2)
Barry Lyga is a recovering comic book geek. According to Kirkus, he's also a "YA rebel-author." Somehow, the two just don't seem to go together to him.

When he was a kid, everyone told him that comic books were garbage and would rot his brain, but he had the last laugh. Raised on a steady diet of comics, he worked in the comic book industry for ten years, but now writes full-time because, well,

I Hunt Killers (3 books)
  • I Hunt Killers (I Hunt Killers, #1)
  • Game (I Hunt Killers, #2)
  • Blood of My Blood (I Hunt Killers, #3)