Jump to ratings and reviews

Southern Suspense #1

She Belongs to Me

A passionate novel of love, betrayal, and obsession, She Belongs to Me will have you falling in love and wondering if you can trust anyone right up to the last page.

Charlotte police officer Jordan Monroe is used to being in control. Ever since his father died, he has provided for his mother and sisters and even hired his two brothers-in-law to help run his successful construction company. On a chance business trip, however, he meets the one person who throws his life into a whirlwind--Jaynee.

Jaynee has lived a tragic life and has sworn off all men. That is until a rugged southern gentleman lands in her seating area, refusing to take no for an answer. From the moment they meet, Jordan sweeps her off her feet, assuring her that happiness exists. But can she really escape her past?

Five years later, Jordan finds Jaynee on their back porch with a gunshot wound to the head. While Jaynee lies in a coma, Jordan has to go back to their beginning and figure out what went wrong. Did he push his wife to the edge, or has her past come back to haunt them?

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ "You'll be swept off your feet along with Jaynee as she discovers the man of her dreams. You'll be drawn into the drama. And you'll flip the pages fast as Jordan must desperately figure out the truth in time. I was and did!" -- New York Times bestselling author Jaime Rush

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ "SHE BELONGS TO ME is definitely a good suspenseful read. Ms. DeSousa is a talented author and I had no problem in connecting with the characters. The story displayed a realistic relationship between Jordan and Jaynee." -- The Romance Reviews

422 pages, Kindle Edition

First published December 23, 2011

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Carmen DeSousa

37 books632 followers
Reader Profile: First and foremost, I am a reader. From the moment I could hold a book, I've been fascinated with the written word. I enjoy almost everything, but lean toward romantic-suspense and magical realism. If you're looking for poor reviews, you won't find them here. The reason...life's too short to read bad books. If a book isn't at least three stars halfway through, I stop reading, and therefore, don't feel as though I have the right to review it. That's my policy! Please don't send me requests, though. If you are one of my cyber friends, I will eventually find you. :)

Author Profile: I write stories that overflow with romance, mystery, suspense, a hint of paranormal sometimes, and of course, tragedy. After all, what would a great story be without a tragic event setting the stage? All of my novels are sensual but not erotic, gripping but not graphic, and will hopefully make you cry, laugh, love, and hope.

New Series: Midnight Sons

#2 Land of the Noonday Sun
#3 Entangled Dreams
#4 When Noonday Ends
#5 Split Decisions

Creatus Series (Paranormal Romantic Suspense)
#0 Creatus (They Exist) The Prequel
#5 Creatus Talis

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
332 (8%)
1 star
151 (3%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 308 reviews
Profile Image for SueBee★bring me an alpha!★.
2,417 reviews13.8k followers
Want to read
September 22, 2016
 photo FreeBlxBbysb_zps2dd6ac5d.gif

FREE on Amazon US today (9/21/2016)

Stand-alone book 1.

BLURB:
A passionate romantic-suspense of love, betrayal, and obsession, She Belongs to Me will have you falling in love and wondering if you can trust anyone right up to the last page.

FREE: https://www.amazon.com/She-Belongs-Me...

FREEBIES are often good for MORE than one day, I have gathered all my FREEBIES on a special shelf: Kindle-freebies (currently over 500 books)
Profile Image for cjbt57.
77 reviews
April 8, 2016
I really wanted to give this book 3 stars, but the more and more I thought about it, the less I liked it. I liked the concept of this book, but found its execution poor and it left me with some questions.

I thought too much time was spent in the past and not enough in the present. I also thought that the past was then rushed to get to the present. I get that it gave us an opportunity to get to know the characters, but I didn't need to know so many little details about their everyday life soon after they got married.

I also found the "gratuitous Christianity" (as another reviewer called it) a turn off. I'm Christian, but if I'm reading a romance novel, I don't want to hear about "being saved by Christ" unless I know that this is going to be a Christian romance novel. I just found it off putting...and then I realized that was why the sex scenes were so truncated and lacking emotion....maybe the author didn't want to be too graphic and still be religious?

Also, I have several questions that never seemed to be answered:
Jaynee mentioned (while thinking to herself) that there were two secrets she would take to the grave....well, I guess she did 'cause the reader never found out what they were and it didn't sound like in their 10 years of marriage she told Jordan either.

Along the same lines, Jaynee told Jordan that she was going to give him the edited version of her family traumas....well what was the unedited version? I thought her background was definitely harsh, but I didn't think it was THAT harsh that she would be so messed up afterward. Maybe it wasn't conveyed well enough.

Lastly, Jaynee tells Brian at the coffee shop that he wasn't her first....but she told Jordan that she had only been with one other man. Was she lying? To whom? Why?

Too bad really because I did like both characters and I did think the twist about who shot her was interesting. It just wasn't done well enough in my opinion.
This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
Profile Image for Amy R.
582 reviews
March 20, 2012
This was a good book and different from the type of suspense I am used to reading. I really liked the way Carmen DeSousa used the "present" day and "how they met" moments for the story to come together. At first I was getting a little impatient at the "how they met" moments but I realized it was only because I wanted to know what was happening to Jaynee in the present day since she was in the hospital!

I thought Jordan was a little much at first and he was driving me nuts with how much he cared about Jaynee and spoiled her (haven't met anyone that overwhelming before) but he then started to grow on me and he became more "normal" to me. I instantly liked Jaynee from the beginning.

Carmen keeps the plot moving along well and has you constantly wondering who you can trust. I wasn't completely shocked at the end when I found out who did it, but was actually thinking it was someone else instead. I thought the characters and relationships seemed real and it was just a good overall story. Highly recommend this book and can't wait to read Carmen's next book!
Profile Image for Jameise.
6 reviews
June 22, 2015
She belongs to me

I knew about a quarter of the way through the this book that it would be a waste of time. However, I committed myself to reading it in its entirety.
- I did not like the characters. They were too unbelievable, because Jordan was too controlling and Jayne was too weak.
- The amount of time spend recounting their super short courtship and quick marriage was just ridiculous. Both time frames were short so the recap should have been short, but NO it was the focus for almost half of the book! It was almost as if to make up for them falling in love so quickly the author drug the process out over way too many chapter so the readers wouldn't think about it.
- Overall, it just was not realistic. The courtship, the resolution, None of it was believable for me. I know it's fiction but come on!
Profile Image for Julie .
3,978 reviews58.9k followers
March 5, 2014
She Belongs to Me ( Southern Suspense # 1) by Carmen DeSousa is a 2011 5 Prince Publishing release.
Jaynee and Jordon meet and embark on a whirlwind romance resulting in a quickie marriage in Vegas. But, after several years of marriage, the couple is still childless and Jordon is becoming impatient. He and Jaynee have an arguement about it and then Jordon finds Jaynee shot in the head after an apparent suicide attempt. As he waits in the hospital alone, he thinks back on how they met and how quickly they fell in love. He recalls the things Jaynee told him about her past, but, there are many things about Jaynee he has never known.
Before Jaynee met Jordon she had a relationship with a very controlling man named Brian. For years Brian has kept tabs on Jaynee. He is furious that she has married someone else. Brian believes "She belongs to me". Could Jaynee's past finally have caught up with her?
This is a good mystery suspense novel with a love story as it's foundation. Jordon is a good guy and we can't fault him for being human. The couple did manage to stick together despite the incredibly short time they knew each other before they married. So, the real issue isn't between Jaynee and Jordon even though they did argue that day. The problem is they have no idea so many people were opposed to the marriage and they all seem to have their own motives. Control, jealousy, and greed all top the list of reasons some people would rather the two hadn't met and gotten married. Because they married so quickly the offended parties were blindsided and it was too late to undo the damage. This set up builds suspence because the reader is aware of the problem, but the characters are not.
I did enjoy reading the backstory of how Jordon and Jaynee met , but a little dab will do ya, as they say. Once we got the idea I think we could have fast forwarded over much of the time between the honeymoon and the five years of marriage that had past before Jaynee is shot. So, in my opinion the story could have been slimmed down a little and this would have helped the flow and would have given the book a faster pace.
Otherwise this is an enjoyable romantic suspense novel that will have you guessing up until the very end. I give this one a B-/ C+ or 3.5 stars.
Profile Image for Jeannie Walker.
Author 10 books567 followers
February 10, 2013
Jaynee is a beautiful woman who has a lot of secrets in her past, along with a longing to find the perfect man. Jordan Monroe comes along and fits that bill perfectly, but Jaynee is fearful in making a commitment. Jordan is not one to give up easily and finally succeeds in making Jaynee his wife. After five years of marriage, Jordan discovers Jaynee has a lot of secrets. Hours after they have a bad argument, he rolls out of bed. His anger is brewing as he pulls on his boxers and a t-shirt. If she is asleep on the sofa again, he is going to wake her and demand answers. Suddenly, he remembers the loud sound that startled him from his sleep. He ambles through the house looking for his wife. Something blocks him from opening the French doors to the patio. He switched on the overhead light. What he saw left turned his stomach. It was a unbelievable sight. There she was... crumpled on the floor. Blood dripped from her forehead and was pooled on the wooden planks of the deck. Immediately, he saw laying beside her was the .38 caliber revolver he had given her for protection. Did Jaynee shoot herself or did someone else shoot her and try to make it look like a suicide?
I hope you read this intriguing love story/mystery. It is very well written and a very good read.

Jeannie Walker -Award Winning Author of "I Saw the Light" - A True Story of a Near-Death Experience
1,022 reviews
March 21, 2012
She Belongs To Me by author Carmen DeSousa is a terrific romantic suspense book. The story started off with "bang" literally and then the love story of Jordan and Jaynee is told as past and present are blended together. Readers get to see glimpses of other characters and how they are connected to Jordan and Jaynee and what possible involvement they might have had in Jaynee's shooting. The author did a great job developing all the characters in this story and created a story filled with love, intrigue, and suspense that had me riveted until the surprising reveal at the end. I am so glad I discovered this book and look forward to reading more books by this wonderful author.
Profile Image for Elise Stokes.
Author 6 books1,241 followers
September 26, 2013
After reading great reviews for Carmen DeSousa's work, I decided to give her debut novel a shot. I was not disappointed.

The story launches with the prologue (so don't skip it, readers). Jordan Monroe is startled out of sleep by a gunshot. He finds his wife, Jaynee, sprawled on the floor with a bullet in her head. The story then rewinds back five years to the night the couple had first met. For Jordan it was a love at first sight. He knew the moment he laid eyes on Jaynee that she was the woman he wanted to spend the rest of his life with. Of course, he didn't know about her incarcerated ex-boyfriend who had decided that Jaynee "belonged" to him.

The story flips back and forth between Jordan and Jaynee's whirlwind romance and the mystery of who shot Jaynee and why. Although, I enjoyed the development of their relationship, my favorite parts of the story were the mystery. Just when I thought I'd had it figured out, DeSousa would throw in a twist. I have a hunch if I reread the book I'd be palming my forehead over all the clues I'd missed.

Along with the mystery and suspense, I also appreciated the character development and lack of explicit content. Jordan and Jaynee are noble, but flawed. For example, Jaynee has an abusive past that she doesn't allow to rule her life, although the reader does see where her past affects her perceptions and decisions. Jordan can be domineering, but I like the fact he recognizes this about himself, acknowledges it, and tries to keep himself in check. Regarding intimacy, there's sizzle, but DeSousa leaves most of it to the reader's imagination. Very refreshing, I must say.

I'd love to share a bit about my favorite character, but I'm afraid that would be too much of a spoiler. The end has a great example of the type of person I hope and strive to be. But sharing specifically what that trait is would be a spoiler as well. Guess you'll just have to read the story.
Profile Image for Nani Hendrix.
28 reviews1 follower
November 20, 2017
(Sighs) I really couldn’t finish this book at Chapter 14. One of the many things I loathe about flashbacks after the plot has been introduced, is that the flashbacks can seem to drag out and bore me. That’s exactly what happened with this one. The prologue opens up about something horrific that happened with Jaynee and suddenly Chapter 1 starts off how they met. Throughout the chapters, I was introduced to other narratives that constantly threw me off. I really wanted to get down to the nitty gritty from the prologue but was being dragged by how hopeless of a Romantic Jordan was. It was getting too corny for me and I was becoming impatient and uninterested. This book had the potential of pulling me in, but it lacked in so many areas. If you’re a reader like me, you can’t get hit with a bomb in the beginning and then slap me with unrelated events afterwards. The newlywed tale of Jordan and CJ should’ve lasted for about three chapters at the most then got back to the matter at hand. I got a feeling that I would’ve been on a major cliffhanger by the end of this book and would’ve been mad as hell. So I saved myself that disappointment.
Profile Image for Marilou George.
186 reviews53 followers
November 28, 2012
Jordan Monroe is abruptly awoken from sleep when he hears a gunshot. Jaynee, his wife, is not in bed with him which angers him as he struggles to get up and determine where the gunshot came from. He hurries down stairs and sees that the back French door is open. As he stumbles along in the dark he is unable to shut the door because there is something in the way. He turns the lights on and there lay his wife Jaynee with a gunshot wound to her head. He is hysterical as he attempts to call for help with his wife lying near death beside him. As she lies in the hospital in a coma Jordan, a police officer, tries to put the pieces of the puzzle together and determine what really happened to his wife. Did she attempt suicide or is there much more to this horrible situation than meets the eye?

This story focuses on the lives of Jaynee and Jordan as it takes you back and forth from their current life together to how they first met. C.J. Evans, Jaynee, was a waitress struggling to put herself thru College and had sworn off dating since a break-up two years ago. She waits on Jordan, a police officer and owner of a construction company, at the restaurant where she works. This is the first time they have met and they have this instant and intense connection between them that neither can deny.

The characters of Jaynee and Jordan are presented with great detail and depth. I could sense their feelings and attraction to one another. Their dialogue was realistic and their story held me captive. The other characters are woven into the story in a seamless fashion and successfully contributed to the suspense and the dynamic of the story.

I found the writing to be fluid and engaging as I became entangled in the story. Carmen DeSousa brings her characters to life and offers up a story that is truly imaginative and thoroughly engaging. This is a great love story full of mystery and suspense that will keep you totally involved.
203 reviews
March 19, 2012
I really liked this book and liked the flashbacks into their past.. Jordan was an absolute sweetheart :) (I want a Jordan) I really liked most of the characters.. Wondering who the bad guy was honestly kept me guessing for most of the book.. I would think it was one person but then switch to another, then switch back.. After awhile though the flashbacks were a bit much.. I mean I kept looking at it saying alright already get back to the hospital scene! There were a couple of parts that I didnt like Jaynee but for the most part she was likeable.. Also I wasnt expecting the inspirational aspect of this.. Its not a bad thing but I didnt think it was going to be such a big part of it (honestly though, it didnt really feel inspirational for most of the book until they threw it in there several times and then it was kinda like where did this come from? Seemed kind of like an afterthought..)

Overall this was an enjoyable read and I couldnt put it down..
Profile Image for Amanda.
163 reviews5 followers
May 15, 2013

The first few chapters and the last few had me on edge. Immediately I was curious about what transpired between Jaynee and Jordon and who done it. I was also immensely in love with Jordon... until mid way through the book where he became a bit too possessive and controlling for my liking. All the while, Jaynee is reduced to a piece of property; a submissive version of Vivian Ward on Rodeo Drive.

Still, I wanted to know how life planned to sort out for this couple. Ms DeSousa offers redemption in plenty of swoon worthy romantic moments and a suspenseful plot that I could turn a side eye to the things I didn't like. Every suspect had a reasonable motive and all of it tied together rather nicely at the end.

For the price it was certainly a bargain. Overall I did enjoy this story. I did. I just wish there wasn't such a fine line between Jordan's acts of service being taken as love vs. controlling behaviors. I am certain however, that the author was not implying the later but that's what made it hard for me to not offer this book a fourth star

[Romantic Suspense, PG Adult Content]
Profile Image for Sheilagh Lee.
40 reviews2 followers
February 26, 2012
From Jordan Monroe’s perspective his wife of five years Jaynee has suddenly turned cold and standoffish. Jordan can’t take this anymore so instead of discussing it with his wife he goes on a bender with his buddies and comes home drunk. Jordan falls into Jaynee’s arms and the couple makes up. Jordan passes out from his night’s drinking and awakes to a gunshot .At first he assumes Jaynee had tried to commit suicide. However someone has attacked her and Jaynee accidently shot herself during the struggle.
The tender love story of how their romance began between Jaynee and Jordan is explored in flashbacks making the reader see their relationship from an insider’s view. This book also offers the reader a number of suspects for the attempted murder mystery that will keep the reader guessing until the end of the story.
An exceptionally interesting, captivating, suspense read that will keep the reader spellbound as they won’t be able to put this book down. .
5 ★★★★★ out of 5 ★★★★★
Profile Image for WiLoveBooks.
858 reviews57 followers
May 17, 2012
The story opens with lots of intriguing questions. The prologue begins after Jordan and Jaynee have been married for 5 years and she has just been shot. Then we jump back to when they first met. Jordan makes me melt. He is sweet, thoughtful, caring, kind, with a streak of possessiveness and protectiveness. Jaynee puzzles me. I still don't feel I completely understand her. She has lots of secrets. Their love story is so sweet, though. The story shifts back and forth between the present and how they met and I loved that. Details are slowly revealed, but more questions come up along the way to make you wonder. This is a great book if you are looking for something you can't put down until you figure out the answers to all of the questions.
Profile Image for Athena Brady.
Author 1 book41 followers
April 5, 2013
Jaynee has given up on love until she meets Jordan. She is living in fear of the past and Jordan helps her to look forward to the life she should have had. When Jordan proposes she thinks all her troubles are over. Jordan is the man of her dreams and Jaynee feels that life has at last, has dealt her a good hand. In the shadows, someone is watching Jaynee and Jordan closely. They are plotting and planning their demise. Can love really change Jaynee’s life forever or will her past rear its ugly head and be her downfall?

This gripping narrative will have you on the edge of your seats. You will not know whether you are coming or going, as the suspense and intrigue intensifies. Until finally, the mind blowing conclusion is revealed.

Profile Image for BetaZoyd❤.
249 reviews4 followers
December 2, 2017
Absolutely amazing!!! I was surprised at how mysterious and at the same time, engaging and irresistible this book consistently was. I've read my fair share of mysteries, but for many reasons, this book stood apart. I enjoyed how the author jumped between the flashbacks and present day moments. They were definitely timed well, and done with wonderful transitions. This book also kept me guessing quite a bit-one minute you think you know who the murderer is....the next, you're proven wrong. I absolutely loved the vulnerability that the author conveyed when it came to all of her characters....by the end of the book, I honestly could not hate anyone because of how well the author described all of her characters, and how transparent she made them. A surprisingly awesome read!!!!
Profile Image for Jaime Rush.
Author 25 books398 followers
January 17, 2012
Jaynee ends up shot just outside her home, her loving husband finding her. As she lies in a coma, a distraught Jordan must untangle the threads of her recent days to find out why she shot herself. Or did she? For Jaynee wasn't the only one keeping secrets … and one of those secrets is deadly. Can he find the truth before a killer strikes again?

I really enjoyed this book, and it's not explicit, so teenagers as well as those with delicate sensibilities will like it. You'll be swept off your feet along with Jaynee as she discovers the man of her dreams. You'll be drawn into the drama. And you'll flip the pages fast as Jordan must desperately figure out the truth in time. I was and did!
Profile Image for Suzanne.
1,009 reviews24 followers
January 5, 2016
3.5 stars.

Jaynee and Jordon meet and start a whirlwind romance ending in a quickie marriage in Vegas.
After several years of marriage, they are still childless and Jordon is becoming impatient
that Jaynee wants to wait a little longer. He and Jaynee have an argument about it and then

There were parts I really loved and parts I felt were just a little too perfect. The mystery
and lead up to Jaynee being shot were really good and had me changing my mind on who was to
blame many times.
Profile Image for Brookita Braxton.
Author 1 book10 followers
February 11, 2012
As reader I felt like I was a part of the story. I was offended because I thought the main character's prince charming was controlling and yet I was happy that someone wonderful had entered her life. A great story always finds a way to touch the reader on a personal level. This story did just that. I would recommend you read this novel. It will keep you reading right up until the last page. The ending took me totally by surprise. You will not be disappointed. Way to go Mrs DeSousa.
Profile Image for Terry Trahan.
119 reviews6 followers
January 30, 2013
Oh emmmm geeeee! I just did not want to put this book down! I was able to relate somewhat to Jaynee's life, and saw myself in some of the situations she went through. Jordan at first was a little too controlling... Okay VERY controlling. And to that I just did NOT want to like him. But as I kept reading (because there was no way I could put it down), I realized even though he controlled a lot of things in Jaynee's life...he TRULY LOVES her! SHE BELONGS TO HIM!!!
Profile Image for Marj.
245 reviews1 follower
April 2, 2012
Not very suspenseful. Changes in timelines annoying. Gratuitous Christianity. Secrets withheld then not revealed. Annoying. Needed a good editor as author seemed to lack understanding of basic grammar particularly adverbs. Annoying. Not an author I'd buy again.
Profile Image for Barry.
Author 3 books9 followers
June 17, 2012
"She Belongs to Me" by Carmen DeSousa is predominantly a romance novel but the thing that a guy like me can really sink his teeth into is the element of mystery.

See my complete review at my blog:

Profile Image for Priscilla Cox.
4 reviews
November 30, 2016
I enjoyed all aspects of the book, well developed characters and enough suspense to keep you drawn in.

I am anxious to go on to the next book in the series. DeSpise has a good feel f poo r her characters.
Profile Image for Kristen Lindtvedt.
311 reviews1 follower
December 15, 2019
A Spine Tingling Yet Beautifully Soulful Book...

"She Belongs to Me" by Carmen DeSousa is a romantic suspense story with a languid, southern crawl. The story of Jaynee and Jordan, struck by the thunderbolt of love, instantly inseparable, and trying to build a life together despite not really knowing what the reality of it entails. It is a gloriously liquid tale that oozes across the page mercilessly pricking at your nerves, relentless in its pursuit of keeping your senses on edge.

Here, DeSousa tells an unexpectedly harrowing story about how danger can lurk in unexpected places. And rather starkly illustrating how lack of communication, assumptions, childish reactions, and jealousy can lead to irrevocable doom and disaster if left unchecked. She brilliantly, lazily keeps the plot twisting and turning, slowly flipping times, perspectives, and points of view, keeping you unnerved, frustrated, and at times, dizzyingly off balance. All the while, giving you just enough information to keep you glued to the page, hungrily devouring paragraph after paragraph. You will wade through the fear, heartache, soul wrenching childhood traumas, doubt, and pain of this story, feeling as helpless as Jaynee lying in her hospital bed! This woman, surrounded by darkness. Her and Jordan, surrounded by deceit and danger. It will make you want to lock those you hold dear away in a box and keep all others out!

This book will make you question your trust in everyone. Will make you rethink the strength and validity of your own friendships. And make you take a long, hard, look, at your faith in all those around you.

It is a true testament of love and faith overcoming overwhelming odds. And if not for Jordan's unchecked insecurities, this book would be perfect. Now, while I do understand the reasons for why some of his reactions are written the way they are, they were at times, hard for me to swallow. I found myself thinking less of him for reacting so childishly, almost petty in nature. In fact so absurdly juvenile were some of Jordan's reactions, I couldn't help but lament aloud how this book should really be called, "A Cautionary Tale About What Happens When You Assume the Worst Instead of Actually Paying Attention to the Reality Before You." Because, dear Jesus, how many things have to happen before this husband, the one who keeps vowing to "love and protect" and keep Jaynee from harm, pulls his head out of his butt and stops whining?!? It sadly had me judging his masculinity for a minute or twenty...

HOWEVER, putting my personal, judging-the-masculinity-of-a-book-husband, moment aside. This book is still absolutely and most definitely worth the read! It is well written, with complex, multifaceted, intelligent characters, full of spine-tingling intrigue, and heartwarming, soulful love that will leave you wanting more of their story.
Profile Image for Diana Hockley.
Author 9 books45 followers
December 23, 2012
Firstly, I need to say that the woman's face on the cover is one of the loveliest I have seen, epitomising everything about the heroine, who is a likeable character.

This romance novel could have been a real humdinger of a thriller but unfortunately, the author in my opinion, did not take advantage of the excellent plot which she set up. This is reflected in the title, as the plot shows all the characters wanting to own either Jaynee or material wealth. The story starts well with the meeting in the restaurant and the backstory work, however, I was disappointed from then on. In my opinion, Ms DeSousa tried to fit too much into the book; the plot covers far too long a time span which upsets the pace. I also feel the author was torn between writing a traditional light romance and a romantic mystery. This shows in the differing sections of the plot.

The couple meet, fall in love and marry within a few days, but during and after, the plot slows right down, from far too much description of shopping trips, what Jaynee buys and how they meet the family. I know meeting the family and having a second wedding is important to the romance side of the story and is the traditional romance section. That part was okay, but then the author skips across five years with very little information. There is some mention of hiking and other pursuits, but it's more of an "information watershed." This makes the ending (the mystery) rushed, though the twists and turns are good when the action finally picks up.

The two main characters are interesting. Janyee is typical of a romantic heroine in 2012 - damaged from a former relationship - and Jordan is traditionally handsome, but he comes across as a controlling and wildly jealous husband. On several occasions, the heroine is shown as having to think before she speaks, which has the effect of actually showing the relationship between the two as uneasy when they're not making love.

I find it hard to believe that a man of Jordan's education - a degree - wouldn't realise that the end of semester with assignments piling up wouldn't take up a lot of his wife's time. The other problem I have is that, unless she is studying medicine or vet science, five years is one heck of a time to be working on a degree!

That he doesn't know about the novel is also a bit hard to believe, because she would have been writing for hours and totally spaced out with edits, jumping up from the dinner table to write something in a notebook. Granted, he is supposed to be busy being a cop and running a business, but this businessman immediately jumps to the conclusion - in spite of having been married to the woman for five years during which time he should have gotten to know and trust her - that she is having an affair. That there are other quite rational explanations, does not occur to him.

The minor characters, the sisters and the secretary are not well fleshed out, so they don't really have much relevance to the plot until two of them float to the surface right at the finish. This causes the ending to come "out of left field" as Americans say and doesn't lead convincingly to the final denouement. There are some inconsistences, such as Jaynee not wanting to see her mother and then when the woman arrives, greeting her as though there were no negative history between them.

The author had the opportunity to build up the suspense and certainly added in several perpetrator's points of view, but there was no real attempt to build on fear and tension beyond short clusters of paragraphs. This leads me to speculate that if this story had a time limit of, say a couple of weeks (with backstory beforehand)or months, I think the plot could have been handled a lot better, the writing tighter and the author wouldn't have been side-tracked by the kind of traditional romance trivia which is the death knell of even that genre, IMO, but especially a mystery or crime plot. The time spent describing the character's love for each other (repetitious) their shopping trips and exploring the house could have been used to greater effect in building up creeping terror, and realisation in the characters and the reader that these this couple is the target of a murderer.

I had trouble with the change of characters. For example, at the 87% point, the story shifts from Jordan to the perpetrator with only ** to separate the shift in characters. I thought it was still Jordan in the section, but after reading it a couple of times, I realised there'd been a move to the bad bloke. There were some issues with grammar - e.g. "Everything had worked out perfect." This should have been "perfectly" and this error occurs several times throughout the novel with other "ly" words. Likewise, there are some formatting errors which probably need to be looked at - a few words clumped together and lines skew-whiff - but this is something which happens on the site from time to time and is not the fault of the writer.

She Belongs To Me, with its connotations of possession has the framework to have been - or could yet be - a fast-paced, OMG thriller!
Profile Image for Michelle.
288 reviews3 followers
February 27, 2019
Jaynee meets Jordan while waiting tables
in Florida she has had a troubled upbringing and her last relationship ended with him cheating on her and she ended it between them. So when Jordan asks Jaynee if she would like to go and have coffee after work she reluctantly says she will meet him at Starbucks. He comes back again and again and there is an attraction a spark between them they cannot stop. It blossoms as they see each other everyday. Her ex has someone watching her...
She’s attacked after work, Jordan rescues her takes her home, they talk. This is the very basic beginning...I don’t want to give anything away. Outstanding characters, great plot. Very romantic suspenseful mystery
I loved this book , a real page turner,
I was given this in a free giveaway and I voluntarily leave this review.
178 reviews
March 24, 2020
It you are in to fairy tale romances, then this will be a good read.
Profile Image for Ashley ☾.
80 reviews5 followers
January 23, 2020
Three stars is just a tad generous. I felt they focused too much on the romance and not enough on the suspense. When reading the description of the book, they built up a lot of excitement for the shooting and the need to discover who had done it and why. Unfortunately, the story dived into this back story romance.

Jordan was impulsive and controlling. I guess we are supposed to be fine with it, because he is rich and buys her things? I mean.. really?

Anyway, they rushed through the actual detective work and didn't put nearly enough effort into the actual description of the book.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 308 reviews