Start by marking “Paper Phoenix” as Want to Read:
Paper Phoenix

Paper Phoenix

Librarian Note: This is an alternate cover edition for ASIN B00DD0B6HK.

First comes divorce, then comes murder…

…or at least sweet thoughts of murder. Maggie Longstreet has plenty of them after slimy, ambitious Richard trades her in for a more recent model. She’s so depressed she can barely get out of bed when Larry Hawkins, a seemingly not-at-all depressed acquaintance, comm
Published December 5th 2013 by booksBnimble (first published April 16th 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Paper Phoenix, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Paper Phoenix

Norma Huss
Oct 12, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
I could list this under historic as well as mystery because it's set in 1970s San Francisco. I didn't---it reads like a current mystery.

Maggie, is suddenly dropped by her husband. He has a new, younger model to grace the proper clubs and parties for the business man on the go. When the editor of a small newspaper turns up dead, Maggie remembers her ex, Richard the Rat, telling someone he (the editor) soon wouldn't be a problem.

Aha, that finally gets her out of her funk. There's got
cynthia zeiders
Aug 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pull yourself up by the bootstraps Maggie..! Never mind head down, you're being shot at..!

Maggie must succeed, because as you read, you have become her head cheerleader. This tightly wrapped plot and honest characters make the reader wanting 200 more pages; or the assurance of a sequel...
Alex
Jul 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5
I LOVED this book. Much more interesting than the classic amateur detective novel. I rarely really enjoy these books, I read them because they're quick and the stories are normally interesting. However, I really enjoyed reading this book. I guessed the ending a little more than halfway through but I'd been reading a lot of these lately so I don't think it was necessarily that clear, just that I had actively looking for clues.
I wish this could be a series because I did love the main cha
Jayne
Dec 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Paper Phoenix is a story about a woman who is struggling with her divorce. A newspaper man is murdered and she suspects her husband is involved. This bring her out of her funk. She hooks up with a younger man, another newspaper man, with the goal of finding who murdered his colleague. This is a well written cozy mystery with a couple of subplots. The murdered is a surprise at the end. A good cozy mystery for fans.
Suzen
Mar 07, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Very trite; divorcee- ex husband in SanFran construction business; shady deals, a small time editor jumps to his death...corruption abounds and she solves the murders and "moves on". Storyline and leaps of conclusions and solved murders is way too amateurish. Not interested in any more with this character.
Mary Lu
Jun 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Politics and love, or was it hate

The first couple of pages were slow, but came to realize that was important to set the character and circumstances of the main character. The story flowed well and I have to admit, I didn't know for sure who was guilty until the end. Completely enjoyed every page. I found NO ERRORS! (Personal pet peeve)
Theresa Wells
Aug 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Corruption and murder

A well plotted mystery with many twists and many suspects. At times a little slow, lots of reasons to kill but the true culprit has been there from the beginning. Enjoyed it thoroughly. Author knows how to weave a plot.
Carlton Phelps
Sep 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Always a great read

A page turner. Fun read with good twist and turns. Let's face it, what more does a good book need? You have love lost, love found, bullets fired and corruption in local government.
Grab a copy before summer ends. If not now grab a copy for the coming fall.
Mary j. childers
Revenge

When faced with desperation you never know how you will react once the cloud surrounding your mind clears. You scramble to find out what your husband has to hide beside a very young girlfriend.
LyndaIn Oregon
The suspicious death of a muckraking newspaper editor in San Francisco leads the ex-wife of one of his prime targets to investigate further, revealing a snake's nest of corruption and double dealing.

Not quite a romance and not quite a cozy mystery.
charmaine White
Nice Read

I really enjoy reading these cozy mysteries,there good clean fun.They have a lot going on,a good read with mystery,thrills and suspense.
Rebecca
Jul 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Not bad. But not great either. MC too disconnected from reality. Low 3*
Janet Cardillo
Dec 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good but not over the top

I enjoyed the story, but it wasn't exciting. The character who died was no one anyone really liked. I did like the December May romance for a change.
Sandra Small
Jul 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Outstanding!

Kept me guessing until the very end! Ms Thompson is able to articulate her thoughts in a professional manner. Great character development and well written! Bravo!
Marti
Dec 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed this murder mystery. Craziness happens.
Michelle
Good book

You people should just read this novel yourselves and write your own review on this novel yourselves and I really enjoyed reading this novel very much so. Shelley Ma
Lana
Apr 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good Quick Read

Got this as a free book wasn't sure what to expect a good little read. Very quick easy to get into , held my interest. Very good read. Well done.
Julie
Apr 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun mystery

I really enjoyed reading this one. It was a Light, easy read. Good book to relax and sip a glass of wine.
Donadees Corner
May 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just finished meeting some more new friends and a visit to San Francisco but this time it was in the 70's. We meet Maggie Longstreet that has just been divorced. Her husband has decided to trade her in for a younger version. Now what does she do? Michaela develops the trauma of a middle aged woman that has devoted all her adult life to her marriage. She remembers over hearing her husband saying "Sure, I agree Larry Hawkins is a pain in the A--. But you can absolutely take my word for it, we wo ...more
Carlin
Michaela Thompson is one of my favorite mystery authors. This book added to my admiration of her writing. Maggie Longstreet is a great character. The setting is 1970's San Francisco where Maggie has been left by her husband band for a much younger woman. She is 44 and has spent her married life raising a daughter (now in college) and supporting her husband's career as head of the city's redevelopment department. His divorcing her came as a shock she handles at first with depression and pills. Bu ...more
Samantha March
Mar 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Michaela Thompson is on tour now with CLP Blog Tours and Paper Phoenix

I’ve been reading a lot of mystery books lately, and I can’t say I’m sad about it. I really enjoy them, so I was eager to pick up Paper Phoenix, as it would be my first from author Michaela Thompson. The beginning started off a little slow for me, but as the chapters progressed I got more and more interested in the story. It’s a quick read without too many possible suspects to keep track of, but I was still a littl
Denise
Apr 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-goal
'Paper Phoenix' is a good cozy mystery. I enjoyed the storyline and how it played out. The fact that it takes place in the 70's wasn't hard to understand. I think it added to the plot with topics such as divorce and womens placement in society after being the little housewife. The characters were great. Maggie is a strong lead, yet she didn't start out that way. Andrew was a great character that ultimately helped Maggie. A good add to your tbr list.
Sandie Acquistapace
Very satisfying read! (Especially if you've been there)

Maggie and her situation were, and are, all too common. How she dealt with it was satisfying and so ENTERTAINING. It wasn't until about 3/4 through the book that I figured out who did what. Only to be totally surprised in the end. Nice!
Beverly June Davis
Never Disappointed

Good writing, interesting and fully fleshed-characters, set in a great town, San Francisco. I'm never disappointed by Michaela Thompson. Weather Florida or The Pacific Coast. she sets a mood. adds plot twists, makes connections; and, the reader closes the book satisfied. I recommend this, or any, of her mysteries. You won't be disappointed either.
 Gigi Ann
Aug 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My Thoughts...

This is the first book I've read by this author, and it was also a freebie on bookbub.com one day, so wasn't sure what to expect. But...

I really enjoyed it, it moved along swiftly, and kept my attention to the end. I enjoyed it enough to award it 4 paper stars...It is also a part of my Kindle library.
Judy Ward
May 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-mystery
Maggie is divorced from Richard. It seems that Richard might have killed someone. Maggie decides to get off her depression pills and find out if this is true.

This is a fast paced cozy mystery. Lot's of suspects for Maggie to investigate. Even Maggie is a suspect. A fun read.
Chrysta
Apr 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kept me guessing

This book was terrific throughout! I couldn't keep from wondering who done it the entire time! When the killer was revealed I was in shock! Highly recommend for any lover of a good cozy mystery!
Judy C Carpenter
Fun

There were a lot of twists and turns in this story. And the characters are predictable but the story moves along very well. I can relate to a lot of the story having been divorced. And also having a young man in my life.
Kim Power
Aug 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
More than just a mystery

An excellent story that weaves together bribery and corruption, murder, gender dynamics and the exigencies of forty something women after divorce to create a real mystery, with some chilling characters.
Annika
This is a great quick-read, a nice diversion from more serious books. The plot is tight, the descriptions of San Francisco accurate and the characters likeable. Can recommend it for a rainy afternoon or even a beach read.

• Slippery Slopes and Other Deadly Things (Carrie Carlin - Book 5)
  • Killer Twist (Ghostwriter Mystery #1)
  • Pursuit and Persuasion (Ben Reese, #3)
  • Bombshell (Dev Haskell - Private Investigator, Book 4)
  • Self-Editing On A Penny: A Comprehensive Guide
  • Child of the King (Woman of Sin #3)
  • The Geneva Decision (Sabel Security #1)
  • Phone Kitten
  • Death's Queen (Death's Queen #1)
  • The Dagger Before Me (Persephone Cole Vintage Mystery, #1)
  • The Accidental Bachelor
  • The Prince and I (The Royal Biography Cozy Mystery #1)
  • Reel to Real: The Video Store Murders
  • Just Deserts (Hetta Coffey Mystery, #4)
  • Design on a Crime (A Deadly Décor Mystery, #1)
  • Beyond the Misty Shore (Seascape Trilogy, #1)
  • The Corpse With the Sapphire Eyes (Cait Morgan #5)
  • All Sales Fatal (A Mall Cop Mystery, #2)
I've written seven mystery-suspense novels, set in wide-ranging locales: Hurricane Season and Riptide explore the beaches and swamps of the Florida Panhandle, where I grew up; Paper Phoenix features a romance between a disillusioned divorcee and a younger crusading journalist in 70's San Francisco; a failure analyst chases private demons to India in Fault Tree; a group of friends plays a deadly ga ...more
“in Hurricane Season, and still spends a significant amount of time there. She has worked as a newspaper reporter and a freelance journalist, and has contributed mystery short stories to a number of anthologies. She and her husband,” 0 likes
“Season, and still spends a significant amount of time there. She has worked as a newspaper reporter and a freelance journalist, and has contributed mystery short” 0 likes