Start by marking “The Suicide Flowers” as Want to Read:
The Suicide Flowers

The Suicide Flowers

You see them every day, the suicide flowers. They bloom from the cracks and crevices of concrete sidewalks, between asphalt creases and gaps. Yet these flowers blossom and prosper until the careless foot tramples. Others wither and fade, having survived, despite their strained and dubious foundations.

Raeburn Messiah, the Messiah of Metal, sings for a living. Currently, he'
Kindle Edition, First, 195 pages
Published August 20th 2014 by Lulu Press

To ask other readers questions about The Suicide Flowers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Suicide Flowers

Bill Ward
Jan 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a great story about two characters, Raeburn the famous rock singer and his biggest fan Gabriel. Gabriel is dying of cancer and Raeburn is dying a musical death. Gabriel's lovely wife Isabelle arranges for Raeburn to visit him in hospital, as a dying wish, and they go for a drive together. In its most simple form that is the story! So why did I so love this book and read it so quickly?
The characters are wonderfully vivid and real, and the quality writing is very emotive. As well as the r
Stephen Clynes
Mar 19, 2016 rated it did not like it
What a way to start a book?...

The vomit seemingly took Gabriel by surprise as he laid his left cheek on the left side of the toilet seat. Half of the retch landed in the toilet, while the remainder skimmed over the right side of the toilet seat and slapped onto the floor. Gabriel was in the final stages of Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia.

...So, not a bright start to a book. I read books for pleasure and get a lot of enjoyment from reading novels. The Suicide Flowers has many rave reviews on Goodrea
Michele Timothy
Sep 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Excellent story! I couldn't put this book down. The main characters are fully developed and I found myself cheering for them throughout the book.
Raymond Barrie
Nov 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Excellent

This novel begins with two men vomiting: Gabriel because of the chemotherapy for his leukemia, and rock star Raeburn Messiah after yet another bout of alcohol and drugs. Don't let that put you off; it is an effective beginning for the marvelous story that follows. For roughly the first half of the book, the author Pete Conrad develops these two characters in parallel, intertwining their personal and family histories. Raeburn is not a very appealing man; he is arrogant and cruel to his c
Simon
Nov 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The Suicide Flowers is a great book! It revolves around Gabriel, a man dying from a rare form of cancer and his idol, Raeburn Messiah, a rock god who is also self-destructive. During a hospital stay, Gabriel's wife, Isabelle, sees a poster about a charity group who arranges special visits/events for the terminal patients. Isabelle arranges it for Gabriel to meet Raeburn Messiah, Gabriel's hero.

I loved how the book delves the history of the two main characters telling us their backstories. At fi
Craig Furchtenicht
Dec 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The Suicide Flowers was one of those books that I found impossible to put down. The way the author presented each of the main characters was flawless. It is the story of two entirely different men. One a despisable burnout rocker with an ego the size of the Grand Canyon. The other a man dying of a rare form of cancer who happens to be one of his biggest fans. I will not tarnish the plot with unnecessary spoilers. That deserves to be experienced by the reader as it plays out. I will just say that ...more
Martin Perks
Jan 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
WHEN I FIRST READ THE SYNOPSIS AND SAW THE TITLE ‘THE SUICIDE FLOWER’ I WONDERED WHAT I WAS LETTING MYSELF IN FOR. WOULD THE STORY BE MORBID AND DEPRESSING? NOT A BIT OF IT.
THE STORY REVOLVES AROUND TWO CHARACTERS, GABRIEL A MAN DYING FROM CANCER, AND RAEBURN MESSIAH, A WASHED UP ROCK STAR HELL BENT ON SELF-DESTRUCTION THROUGH DRUGS AND ALCOHOL. THROUGH GABRIEL’S WIFE, THE TWO MEET, AS GABRIEL IS RAEBURN’S BIGGEST FAN.
WHAT FOLLOWS IS A SENSTIVE, AND MOVING STORY AS THE TWO CHARACTERS DISCOVER F
Mamaang
Sep 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
I really liked that each character came to life off of the page. It was easy to relate to things the characters were dealing with throughout the story. Raeburn seemed to be that stereotypical musician who is on the downward spiral. But it was interesting to see the struggles he was dealing with. My heart was breaking with Gabriel's struggles. I loved the chemistry between both characters. I also liked that the story showed how your actions affect others. I would highly recommend this book!
Judith Garrett-Desiderio
Jul 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I feel this is a book (or gift) one NOT to be missed! I can understand some views that this style of writing is different or "repetitious" in some aspects. However, if I'd have only read books throughout my life, that are the writing styles "that I prefer", I'd never have experienced the beauty of "Wuthering Heights ", "Northanger Abbey". The heartfelt "She's Come Undone", "Les Miserable" or the comical and poignant "Postcards from the Edge"...and the list goes on. I found this book to be VERY e ...more
Marla
Jul 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary, kindle
The writing in this isn't fantastic (sorry). Pete, seriously. We KNOW who you're referring to; you don't need to use the character's name dozens of times in the same paragraph. I almost stopped reading because I couldn't handle Isabelle referring to Gabriel as "her man" EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. It's endearing once or twice. It's annoying the rest of the time. Anyway, I'm glad I kept at it because the ending made it worth it - that's what pushed my review up from a solid 3-star to a 3.5-4-star.
Carol
Jul 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
The ending took me by surprise. Usually I can figure things like this out, but didn't this time. I didn't really like Raeburn initially, but it got better. Guess that's expected. This would make a good movie, with cameos by some of the well known rockers!
Barb
Jan 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Really liked this book, one guy dying from cancer, one guy in band uses drugs and booze, meet
Judy
Aug 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really liked the story - this book would make a good movie!
Cathi
Jul 20, 2016
g
Dec 26, 2016
Pete Conrad
Aug 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
janet ellingson
May 03, 2017
Allen Sacco
Apr 29, 2016
Marjorie252
Jan 13, 2016
Erika
Sep 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Yagnya Kodaru
  • One
  • The Trudeau Vector
  • The Paper Man
  • Pictorial Webster's: A Visual Dictionary of Curiosities
  • The Brotherhood Conspiracy (The Jerusalem Prophecies, #2)
  • Dreams of Shreds and Tatters
  • The Facades
  • The Copy
  • The Bookmaker
  • The Heaven of Animals
  • Ask the Dark
  • The Brothers Cabal (Johannes Cabal, #4)
  • The Shadow of the Crescent Moon
  • The Longest Journey
  • Hyde
  • Simple Times: Crafts for Poor People
  • His Name Was Ben
  • Affection And Estrangement: A Southern Family Memoir
Pete Conrad was born in Haverhill, Massachusetts and now resides in the small yet spectacular New Hampshire seacoast area (it's the shortest coastline of any state, at just 18 miles!). A lifelong learner, Pete holds a degree in English, Literature and Cultural Studies from the University of South Florida. He currently serves on the board of the National Tutoring Association, and is also an avid ba ...more
“Walk down any sidewalk in any city and eventually you’ll find a flower growing out of a crack in the concrete, tenaciously grasping for life, barely enough earth for it to clench hold of. This little flower has seeded, sprouted, and blossomed, despite thousands of feet walking over and around it every day. This flower is a survivor, thriving better than if it were in my Aunt Tilda’s fucking backyard garden with her fussing over it day and night and giving it all the goddamned care she thought it needed. Yeah, eventually, some careless asshole’s gonna trample and kill that flower, but another one’s gonna replace it. [...] I’ll always believe in you, Raeburn. You just have to find another crack in the sidewalk and blossom. Don’t be another Kurt Cobain. Don’t give up. People need you.” 1 likes