Start by marking “The Tower and the Hive” as Want to Read:
The Tower and the Hive

The Tower and the Hive

(The Tower and the Hive #5)

For generations, the descendants of the powerful telepath known as the Rowan have used their various talents to help mankind - some are telepaths, others can teleport through space, others are empathic healers. The clan has grown powerful. They have led Earth to ally itself with the alien Mrdini, and together the two races have held back the predatory Hivers, a deadly ...more
Audiobook, 0 pages
Published May 1st 1999 by Bookcassette (first published January 20th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Tower and the Hive, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Tower and the Hive

Start your review of The Tower and the Hive
Grace
Mar 20, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
No. This is a stupid book.

Within the first 20 pages, three main characters sit around and summarize the series so far. They're not doing this to catch up a third party; they're literally sitting around and telling each other their own family history. Thian actually says to his brother and first cousin: "...they had met their match in Jeff Raven and Angharad Gwyn aka The Rowan..." It would be like me meeting up with my cousins and saying "And then our grandmother, the Irishwoman Eileen aka Lee,
CJ
Mar 22, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is the only book that I've actually flung across the room. It was because of a scientific inaccuracy. You can't use gas chromatographs to identify unknowns! I actually wrote to her about it and got a very cordial response.
Simon Mcleish
Jun 18, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Originally published on my blog here in January 2000.

The fifth, concluding, novel in The Tower and the Hive sequence is, unfortunately, something of a disappointment, even in a series which has already declined from its best. The books are among McCaffrey's most juvenile and have few redeeming features other than being fun to read.

The plot continues the story of the telepaths' leading of the resistence to the genocidal attacks on human and Mrdini planets of the insectile Hivers. The issues
Sam (Hissing Potatoes)
1.5 stars. We get a little more plot-wise since it's the last book and needs to wrap things up, though the wrap-up still feels kind of incomplete and all over the place. There are plotlines (e.g. assassination attempts) and entire characters (e.g. Vagrian) introduced for no apparent reason. They could have been cut out completely without impacting anything else.

Zara reverted back to her book 3 values, making me wonder if someone else entirely wrote book 4. And according to the acknowledgments,
Karen’s Library
Great ending to The Talents series.
A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol)
4.5

*Book source ~ My home library.

The Talents of FT&T along with the Space Navy and the Mrdini continue to identify all of the Hiver worlds. They need to find as many as possible and figure out a way to keep the Queens from leaving and wiping out other worlds. The descendants of the Rowan and Jeff Raven hold many of the top positions of Prime and the untalented say the Gwyn-Raven line holds too many powerful positions. However, no other single family has produced so many Primes and its a
Kim
Jul 27, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Now this is almost a three, there were some really good parts in it and normally I would make it a three, but this being the last in the series made me a little bit more harder on it, because it was also an Ending. That being said though, it didn't feel like an Ending, I mean yes quite a few of the plot-lines were tied up, but it was still left fairly open ended and didn't go into depth some of the things I was hoping it would. The Hivers were never really contacted, though progress seemed to be ...more
Bex
Oct 24, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I first read this I hated it, over time it's grown on me but I still don't like the focus on military solutions and discontent amongst talent.
Reading it so close to the others there are glaring mistakes in time lines (give up trying to work out how long a plot takes) and in character background compared to what was mentioned earlier.
The story wraps up most time lines wonderfully whilst leaving it open for future children and a life time of space travel.
Lindsay
Apr 26, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I hated this conclusion to the Rowan series - I read it some time ago, but remember being bored to death with page after page of space-battle and precious little of the character interaction or relationships that I read the first few books for. Yuck.
SSShafiq
Nov 22, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sff
And the most awkward series recap goes to ... this book. There was a character who was proud of himself for recounting all the events that had happened in the series to date. This was despite that fact that In the book only days have passed - how could you be confused? I get that the actual book was published years after Book 3 but it was particularly awkward. There were two pages of genealogy of all the characters. Yikes!!

In fact, most of this book felt awkward. Like the other books in the
Douglas Milewski
The Tower and The Hive (1999) by Anne McCaffrey wraps up her tower series with the same overly fluffed prose as her other four novels. The space fleets investigate Hive worlds, come to conclusions, and work out a solution to their problems so that they can live happily ever after. That's pretty much what you'd expect out of a final book.

Sharing all the flaws of the previous tower books, this book holds no surprises or revelations, softballing the pertinent moral and ethical questions, while
Colleen
This book is a little clunky; especially when I compare the reading experience to Damia, which I must've re-read ten+ times between when I picked it up at twelve and about sixteen or seventeen. McCaffrey's most comfortable surroundings are not space fleets. This book may be a relatively natural conclusion to the tale of the aggressive Hivers, but it's never as interesting as when they were actually menacing humanity. In fact this book has very little in the way of villainy or opposition to the ...more
Kathy
I am a huge fan of this series but I would have liked another few novels, there are still unfinished stories in this world that could have been written. Some people are going on about the science or some such things; these are fiction novels not textbooks! If you want non-fiction then you are reading the wrong books. Why is it everyone must be a critic, personally I read novels for the story, characters, and to go to another place for awhile.
Kathleen Dixon
I was a bit disappointed in the pacing of this novel. It's written as if it's going to be continued, but that wouldn't make sense character-wise, as there were getting too many and the generations were diffusing the interest the reader has in the original key characters. I think McCaffrey must have thought there could be more. And there could, in a way if she did side-stories like she did with the Pern series. For this series, though, it's just concluded too quickly. I would have liked more ...more
Amalia Dillin
Jan 01, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romantic
I don't know. The rest of this series just doesn't live up to The Rowan for me at all. The final 3 books feel kind of like they just string together, and there are so many new characters tossed in along the way that you don't really get to see a strong character arc for any single protagonist. Maybe that's what bothers me most -- I like personal stories, and these novels are definitely a story of humanity vs alien invaders. Also, I have no idea what the purpose of including some of the side ...more
Sophia
as a note for anyone considering reading this series: the first two are fairly dated but otherwise feature excellent sci-fi heroines who are full of agency and are well-rounded characters. starting in the third book the universe expands tremendously as it becomes a mix of inter-generational family epic and pseudo-scientific space exploration, neither of which are mccaffrey's forte. this last book generally ties a very limp bow on the entire series and i cannot in good conscience recommend it to ...more
Justy
I really really wanted to like this book. I loved the first books of the series and re-read them over and over. The last 2 books felt 'clunky' to me, way too much 'catching up' in the beginning, I wanted to keep going with the story of the series but had to read the review because new stuff was mixed in. This book took over a chapter to get past the review.
There were a lot of moments where things didn't really make sense in the Talents dealings on the Hive worlds and I don't think I feel
Althea Ann
The last book set in her world of The Rowan - where a nepotistic clan of psychically gifted Talents high-handedly control shipping, communication and transportation, and deal with the major issues facing civilization (relations with aliens both friendly and inimical, overpopulation, etc..) in their own way.
Gets off to a bit of slow start, explaining prior events in this world, but soon gets going with full-blown McCaffrey soap-opera.
Danae Harding
Nov 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the last book in McCaffrey's Talent series. It is also a particularly good book. I read Lyon's Pride and didn't know/couldn't find a sequel. I was very unhappy, because Lyon's Pride left a lot of ends loose. Then I discovered this book at the Orem Public Library and was able to finish the exquisite series. Like I have said, I read these books often. I'm never able to read one without reading the others too.
Amy Bradley
Dec 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The last novel of the five book series. The Alliance searches for a solution to prevent the Hive from continuing its genocidal colonial expansion. As well, Zara and Elizara work with the Mrdini to explore ways of controlling their population.

I thought it was a great read, although the end did feel like there could be another novel after. The big problems get dealt with - but the social issues seem like there could be future problems for FT&T.
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
It's the last in this storyline. How sad for me. It is a lovely conclusion to a series I very much enjoyed. Gwyn-Raven clan is quite expansive and I can see why people are envious of their power. The natural talent they have is amazing. They are the FT&T royalty. I still think this series is more for young adults rather than adults, but what do I know?

I enjoyed reading about the Gwyn-Raven(Lyon) grandkids who carry-on in their grandparent's footsteps.
Kessily Lewel
The Tower and the Hive is the final book of the series of that name. The series progresses through the generations of a family talented with special skills of telepathy, empathy and telekinesis. These skills are rare and highly prized and often found in families. I've loved the whole series of books which takes place in the Pegasus universe and continues an earlier series.

This book is not one of my favorites in the series though. It has a lot of problems and I can't help feeling like it was
CatDefender
Adrienne
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bookcrossing
Read this book in just about a day. It was a bit longer than the previous two novels in this series and picked up exactly where the previous one left off. Again, we had too many characters to keep track of, especially as more were introduced. The story progressed along smoothly, but I don't think the title was apt at all. I also find the cover art to not represent the story much, as I assume it is Damia and Afra on the cover at their Iota Aurigae tower. Who else could it be?

Ms. McCaffrey had a
John
Feb 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think I'd really give it closer to a 4.5, but that's not an option. It's been AGES since I read the book that comes before this, but since I read some of the prequel books last year it wasn't too difficult to get into. There were a few storylines that I thought could have been made more interesting, but all in all it was a good book.

I think there was ample opportunity to continue with this but unfortunately I think this is the last in the series. I guess it wraps up well enough, but I'm
Darryl
Oct 15, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
My wife eagerly wanted me to read this concluding novel of the Talents series, yet it left me feeling empty. It had been a few years since I've read the other novels, so the storyline had faded from memory. Unfortunately, the novel did not draw me back into these characters. By bringing everyone back and wrapping things up - everyone felt like minor characters. There was no tension and no buildup, and no reward for me. It felt like having a postscipt extended into a full length novel.
Si Stevenson
May 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Last but best

The learning and treatments that go on in this book prove that there is always an alternative answer. Especially when it comes to aggression and war. I love the characters and how they interact with each other. Glad Laria and Kincaid got on so well, after the previous problems they had. The Raven, Eagle, Gwyn, Lyon etc certainly keep the book moving. Pitty it's the last of the books. There are a few left to write about.
Kate H
Jan 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Anne McCaffrey is one of my all time favorite sc-fi/fantasy authors. Her 'The Tower and the Hive" series is among my favorite series of all time. The characters are engaging and the story grabs me right about and keeps me interested until the very end. I do feel that story gets a weak towards the middle but it picks up at the end. A great ending to a great series.
Greg
Sep 11, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Felt very slow and ponderous. Perhaps because I kept getting interrupted in reading it... Although I'd say that was also a sign of how slow it was! Prior books in the series I was excited to finish. This book I wasn't. Plot also didn't feel well established, it just seemed like "well, let's wrap up the plot threads from the last book."
Hope
I LOVE this series!!! Ms McCaffrey was a complete genius! This series is reasonable, the characters personable, the entire storyline is believable.... I just love it, all of it! 😍
I'm excited to have finished them all for when I return to them it will be as old friends meeting again. 🙂
« previous 1 3 next »

• Dragonsblood (Pern, #18)
  • Dragongirl (Pern, #22)
  • Crown of Renewal (Paladin's Legacy, #5)
  • The Serrano Succession (The Serrano Legacy, #6-7)
  • The Serrano Connection
  • Dragonheart (Pern, #21)
  • Foundation (Valdemar: Collegium Chronicles, #1)
  • Redoubt (Valdemar: Collegium Chronicles, #4)
  • The Ship Avenged
  • Bastion (Valdemar: Collegium Chronicles, #5)
  • Divided Allegiance (The Deed of Paksenarrion, #2)
  • Oath of Gold (The Deed of Paksenarrion, #3)
  • Eye Spy (Valdemar: Family Spies, #2)
  • The Robin & The Kestrel (Bardic Voices, #2)
  • Ysabel
  • Treason
  • Victory Conditions (Vatta's War, #5)
  • Snow Kisses for My Omega (Hobson Hills Omegas #2)
Anne McCaffrey was born on April 1st, 1926, in Cambridge, Massachusetts.

Anne was educated at Stuart Hall in Staunton Virginia, Montclair High

The Tower and the Hive (5 books)
  • The Rowan (The Tower and the Hive, #1)
  • Damia (The Tower and the Hive, #2)
  • Damia's Children (The Tower and the Hive, #3)
  • Lyon's Pride (The Tower and the Hive, #4)