Start by marking “Guardians of the Night (Gideon and Sirius, #2)” as Want to Read:
Guardians of the Night (Gideon and Sirius, #2)

Guardians of the Night

(Gideon and Sirius #2)

3.82  ·  Rating details ·  5,458 Ratings  ·  379 Reviews

As the sole members of LAPD’s Special Cases Unit, Detective Michael Gideon and his German shepherd partner Sirius work investigations considered bizarre even by Los Angeles’s standards. Yet their latest case is more than strange—it might be out of this world.

Ronald “Wrong” Pauley is a homeless man long fallen from grace. When Pauley’s late-night drinking is interrupted by

Published January 1st 2015 by Thomas & Mercer

To ask other readers questions about Guardians of the Night, please sign up.
Brian Beasley Well the "angel" is someone who is killed which the witness calls an "angel". No it was not a real angel being killed and I see no reason that a…moreWell the "angel" is someone who is killed which the witness calls an "angel". No it was not a real angel being killed and I see no reason that a Christian could be too upset by this book. The author makes references to Catholic school and never talks about religion as to make any japes nor discount any religion. Hope that helps...(less)

Maureen DeLuca
Jan 08, 2017 rated it liked it
The 2nd in the Gideon and Sirius series. I had trouble with the story line, but I really enjoyed Gideon and of course (his dog) Sirius. Not the worst book I read- a bit of a disappointment- but I'm a sucker for a dog!
So, I Read This Book Today
Dec 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
So near is falsehood to truth that a wise man would do well not to trust himself on the narrow edge. – Cicero

You think you’re the only one who can quote an ancient philosopher? Plato said: ‘He was a wise man who invented beer.’
“Does that mean you’re ready for another?”
“Far be it from me to contradict Plato.” –Seth and Gideon - Guardians of the Night

There is no instance of a nation benefiting from prolonged warfare. - Sun Tzu
From secrecy and deception in high places, come home, America. From mil
Marcia Witherspoon
Dec 01, 2014 rated it it was ok
I guess you have to be a fan of his work

It was not my type of read, maybe I was expecting something else when I selected this book. I got bored very early on and found it hard to continue so I skipped from chapter 13 to chapter 27 and still felt I hadn't missed anything exciting. No suspense or mystery to speak of in my opinion.
Denise
Dec 06, 2014 rated it liked it
Recommended to Denise by: 35
Enjoyable free Kindle book -- I believe this was the December Kindle First selection that I chose.

The main characters are a quirky and very witty detective, Gideon, and his police dog partner, Sirius. They solve two interesting cases in this story, and they're not at all your usual cases. Gideon and Sirius are the "special" case team, which leaves them room for some interesting and perhaps atypical police work. I found the first 2/3 of the book really entertaining, well-developed, and well-writt
Kushnuma
Dec 05, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: amazon-freebies, arcs
I received a free advanced copy of this book from Amazon.

I quite enjoy crime novels and this book I did enjoy. I didn't realise that this book was book 2 in the series, but luckily I wasn't too confused with some of the events that occurred or were mentioned.

I absolutely loved the Harry Potter mentions. And I understood most of what he said when it came to the Watergate Scandal and the other stuff.

Overall, a good read.
Deb
Apr 17, 2018 added it
Alan Russel knows how to tell a story. This is the second in his detective series keeping Gideon and Sirius his trusted partner and canine. Not disappointing at all and even better than the last book. Looking forward the #3. I did not see the ending coming at all in any respect. Keep it up!
Dlmrose
Oct 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Germaine Irwin
Mar 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Solid writing and the characters are multi-leveled. It is hard to not be enamored by Sirius, the police dog. He is my favorite.
Sandy

A man & his dog This is the author's second book (following "Burning Man") featuring LAPD Detective Michael Gideon & his canine partner Sirius. It's been three years since they were both badly burned while apprehending "the Weatherman", a killer who continues to contact Gideon from prison.
Three years of medical treatments, physio & command performances for the media as the LAPD's poster boy. Now they're just relieved to be back at work as the sole members of the Special Case
Heather
Dec 06, 2014 rated it liked it
Recommended to Heather by: Kindle First
3.5. I liked the twist at the end.

I like the dog, but the author tries too hard to be clever.

And I really didn't give a shit about the main character's relationship with his ladyfriend, and he spent a lot of time talking about that.

And as a procedural...it pulls one of those tricks where everything is going along and then all of a sudden it breaks off and next thing you know he's explaining everything to the perp in a Sherlock Holmes kind of way. Not a good procedural. The best parts of "procedu
Sharon Shearer
Jan 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Smooth-plays like a movie in my head

This story maintained my interest, beginning to end. The main character is complex, heroic and flawed, funny and too self-serious. As the author designed, I love Gideon's dog. Makes me think that if only people who had to go through horrendous things had a dog, they could get through the pain. Of course, like Lisbet, I also have faith and that makes a world of difference. I believe I will look up other books in the Gideon and Sirius series. I enjoyed the liter
Sharon Michael
Apr 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
An excellent follow up to the first book of this series. The 'Special Cases" scenario works well for the characters situation and I found the main storyline intriguing, with the touch of 'possible paranormal" interesting as well.

Again, a solid 4-star, with my only concerns the ongoing 'relationship' between the imprisoned arsonist/killer from the first book and the somewhat intrusive nature of the main character's flashbacks.
Jul 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Loved the second as much as the first!
Alicia
May 10, 2015 rated it liked it
I liked this book, especially the interplay between the detective and his dog, but there was a bit too much profanity in it for me to recommend it to anyone else.
Valerie
Dec 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Solid Character and plot

I liked the balance of good plot and development of the main character. The unexpected at several turns kept me reading.
S.M.Eves
May 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a trilogy

How I enjoyed this book. I loved the one liners, such cute words. Gideon was so good at it. Sirius was great in every way a clever dog can be. I have chosen this book to review as it tells part of the poem "Guardians of the Night", what a wonderful poem!. The thrills and spills are very good held me on the edge of my wheelchair seat and kept me spellbound. The nasty dodgy characters are what they are meant to be in all three books, the nastiest. The Weatherman is horrid, menacing a
Lisa Mcallister
Jan 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
I loved this book! The protagonist is a detective with a sharp wit and sense of humor that he uses to compensate for his various anxieties brought on by PTSD. His sidekick is his canine partner, Sirius (ala the dog star). They are assigned the case of a homeless man who witnesses the murder of an angel on the streets of Los Angeles, and from there it gets kind of weird. Haha. Mike digs deeper and discovers a connection with a company that produces drone swarms with the potential for use in warfa ...more
Cynthia R
May 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another great story

Alan Russell is a genius in his writing skills,and strategy. He puts an much detail in the action of his books, and its a learning experience for me, and will be to anyone reading his books. A lot, and I mean lot of research has to be done in his writing skills, and I have gleaned many things that were new to me. His series about being a detective with his K9 partner is heart warming, although much of the series is about Homicides that need to be solved that they do together.
Lynn Hall
Jun 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Oh, Dog.

I am not a fan of crime fiction, but I was drawn to this series because of Sirius. I like dogs. Having read Burning Man, I have become an instant fan of Sirius and his side-kick.
Alan Russell's research into high tech surveillance is very enlightening; his comedic banter and references to classic movies and songs is both witty and pure genius.
I would recommend this series not to just fans of crime fiction, but also to those who have never sampled the genre. Oh...and dog lovers.
Traci Haley
Actual rating: 3.5 stars. This mystery series is a strange one for me. While I don't feel like there's anything particularly compelling to the characters or the story - it really is just your average potboiler - there's something about it that makes it un-put-downable. I thought this sequel was better than the first, but it still lacks a little sparkle to make me rate it higher. However... I'm about three chapters into the next in the series and it's got more sparkle. Depending on how it ends, i ...more
doris
Sep 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Alan Russell

Superb writing in a way it reminded me of a diff version of silence of the lambs someone from detective Gideon and his k-9 partner past I don't want to give the story away but involved homeless man a powerful high tech technology company a gov't a shaman a girlfriend a reluctant hero and of course the man he put away from the past that left scarring and nightmares he has to deal with. It is a good book of you like mystery and thriller
Brandon Jolley
Jan 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Take it or leave it

I didn't realize when I picked this book that it would keep me attention and that it was part of other books with the sane characters. I read about halfway through, and months later started again. It still took me a long time to finish. I wanted more resolve with the angel and it never came which wAs disappointing. This is a take it or leave it for me. Good writing and editing, but no answers at the end.
Karen
Jan 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoy the protagonist. His literary references and quick wit, plus his love for his dog, make him a character I hope appears in many more novels. I thought the plot was intriguing, and as a reader of many mysteries, I liked the fact I didn’t see the unraveling , but when it does, it makes perfect sense.
Add to that, all the mysteries are not solved, and our protagonist struggles with that fact.
Peter
Jun 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Haunting (or hunting) story

Definitely a Whale of a time reading this Angelic book.
Dumbledore has no magical reason for being here and as for the Drones, well they don't sting anyway.
Confusing yes ? Well read Russell's Guardians of the Night and put them together.
Haines resurfacing and murders abounding with a little incest thrown in.
Loverly, jubberly. Read and be pleased.
😀😀😀😀😈😈
Debbie
Mar 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Most Excellent Read!!!

Being a dog lover made me fall in love head over heels with Gideons' dog, Sirius!! From the way he talks to his dog through the narration of the story, to the way his neighbor cooks special food for Sirius! This is a great writer!! Well designed plot & keeps you holding your breath until the end. I am new to crime fiction & I am so glad Amazon recommended this book. Definitely a follower of Alan Russell now!!!
Andy Plonka
Mar 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: src
I liked this one better than the first in the series even though I initially was not happy about the frequent diversions into dog sports or training or the main character's love life of difficulties in dealing with PTSD. Then I decided the author was doing it intentionally to allow his readers to think about the importance of the events in the main plot. Then I began to appreciate the diversions and the major events even more.
Traci Heinz
Jul 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Tight, well-written book

“I liked the way Detective Sirius ended his report. He wrote something to the effect of, ‘All in all, it was a great day. All days are great days, but especially catch-the-scumbag days. I would say it was a perfect day except for the fact that I never got to roll around on that dead squirrel.’ ” A quote from a Guardian. If only we knew for sure what's running through our pets mind. Cheers to Wrong for his humanity and to Ginger for her loyalty!
Sherron L Pace
Jul 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Human interaction dog gone novel

Love the tongue in cheek lines in this book. Nick Russell has the talent of writing a serious book with light funny lines. He takes a serious situation and gives it some light.
Thanks for calling Corrections Officers correctly and not saying guards they receive the same training as Police officers minus the traffic control and ticketing, not the two day security guard class.
Very well done by a very able author.
Jo
Jul 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good second book

Having started this immediately after finishing the first I thought I might quickly tire of Gideon, Sirius, Lisbeth, Seth and Ellis Haines, but I didn't.
Another clever story, angels and demons, dark and light, and eventually time for the future.
Going to read book 3 now!
Louise Child
Oct 06, 2017 rated it it was ok
Disappointed

I loved the first book of the series but this was a let down to me . The book felt forced .The music references appeared to be levered in .Gideon even felt wrong with his relationship with the dog . Maybe the writer was pushing for a deadline .This just didn't read easily .
  • A Cold and Broken Hallelujah (Long Beach Homicide, #3)
  • Everything Burns
  • Mickey Outside
  • Steampunk Holmes: Legacy of the Nautilus
  • Heart Collector
  • End of Secrets
  • City of Echoes (Detective Matt Jones #1)
  • The Big Bend (Terry Rankin, #1)
  • The Fallow Season of Hugo Hunter
  • Younger
  • Why is She Acting So Weird?: A Guide to Cultivating Closeness When A Friend is in Crisis
  • Dragon's Triangle (The Shipwreck Adventures #2)
  • Plaster City (A Jimmy Veeder Fiasco, #2)
  • The Gemini Effect
  • The Afrikaans
  • The Chinese Maze Murders
  • Flee (Codename: Chandler #1)
  • Tea Is for Terror
Follow Alan on Facebook at www.facebook.com/alanrussellmysteryau...

Alan Russell is the author of Gideon's Rescue, the fourth book in the #1 bestselling series featuring LAPD detective Michael Gideon and his K-9 partner, Sirius.

In 1990 Walker & Company published Alan's first book, No Sign of Murder, which received positive reviews, including a standalone rave from The New York Times. The work w

Gideon and Sirius (4 books)
  • Burning Man (Gideon and Sirius #1)
  • Lost Dog (Gideon and Sirius #3)
  • Gideon's Rescue (Gideon and Sirius #4)
“bottle. Before setting out to his burrow, he always stashed his other meager possessions. He was more willing to lose those than his sleeping spot. Wrong always packed in and packed out. His bottle, invariably empty by the morn, went out with him. He also collected any other trash he found in the ice plant. He kept his home, such as it was, neatly maintained. Keeping low so as to minimize the chance of being seen, Wrong sidled into his space. He unrolled his bedding, an old sleeping bag, and then settled on top of it. A sigh of contentment escaped his mouth, but even that was muted. Wrong was glad he didn’t snore, or at least he” 1 likes
“Good afternoon, Detective. This is Dawn from Chief Ehrlich’s office. Are you available to talk to the Chief?” “I’m great at multitasking, Dawn. I’m good to talk and piss him off at the same time.” 0 likes