Start by marking “The Scarborough” as Want to Read:
The Scarborough

The Scarborough

The Scarborough takes place over three days in 1992: Good Friday, Holy Saturday, and Easter Sunday. It is the weekend 15-year-old Kristin French was abducted and murdered by Paul Bernardo and Karla Homolka. In poems both opulent and stricken, ravishing and unflinching, Michael Lista—who was nine, at the time—revisits those dates, haunted by the horrifying facts he now poss ...more
Published June 1st 2015 by Signal Editions (first published September 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Scarborough, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Scarborough

Jen  (Remembered Reads)
I'm leaving this one unrated. There's a cleverness to much of mixing of classic and early '90s pop culture references (a poem titled "purgatory" is simply the lyrics to the old Marineland jingle, another is Dante-meets-Super-Mario). Without the conceptual backbone as suggested in the description and cover design, I would have called it "enjoyable if uneven", but given the framing (unearned by the actual content) it just feels flippant.
B.
Jan 11, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: poetry, canadiana
Beyond the simplistic musical "ear," beyond the ham-fisted rhyming verse, and beyond the almost criminal lack of poetic subtlety (and thus power),this books suffers as a trivialzing, self congratulatory, and vulgar example of exploitation. Garbage.
Andrea MacPherson
This wasn't what I expected. The copy for the collection suggests that it deals with the 1992 abduction and murder of Kristin French by Paul Bernardo and Karla Homolka. I imagined a difficult, emotionally draining recreation of the events or, at least, the author's experience recounting the events.

But the poems only glance at Kristin French. If I hadn't read the back copy, I'd never imagine that the poems were intended as a response to the horrors of the Bernardo/Homolka crimes.

To be clear, I