Start by marking “Transitory” as Want to Read:
Transitory

Transitory

On a distant moon a festival is taking place that promises its guests a remarkable gift; they will be allowed to re-create moments from their past. Under the watchful eye of those who inhabit the moon and organise the event, the visitors will become tourists of their own memories.

Among those attending The Passing festival is Nate, a human who has decided to take a break f
ebook
Published June 25th 2014 (first published June 24th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Transitory, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Transitory

Veronica Rosa
Jan 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
I'll state right now that while I love sci-fi tv shows and movies, I'm not one for reading them. Maybe it's because I prefer the visualization on the screen instead of relying on descriptions. However, this book made it quite easy for me to picture the new world in my mind. There wasn't an overabundance either which usually makes my eyes glaze over.
Nate, I have to admit, I didn't like much at the beginning of the story. He was a clueless CEO of a mining company who didn't pay attention to others
Miranda Shanklin
Jan 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book is unlike anything I have read before. I found it refreshing and new. I read it pretty quickly because I had a really hard time putting it down. There were no slow dragging spots and it kept a nice steady pace.

The story of Nate and his interactions with those around him was very intriguing and kept me guessing as to what was going to happen next.

The idea of the different species and the lives from other planets worked extremely well in this story.

I would definitely recommend this bo
Jen Winters
Jan 05, 2015 rated it liked it
Transitory is a great scifi/suspense.

Because scifi isn't my preferred genre I had a difficult time getting through it, however I do believe that it will be a great read for those who like descriptive sci-fi. The MC begins as an uninviting character, but he grows on the reader and Williams develops his character with skill.

I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys Larry Niven.
Paul Williams
Feb 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
A highly entertaining read, well paced and exciting.
James Grieme
Jun 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Complex, Fast-paced & Science Fiction Non-Geeks Will Love!

Ian Williams has crafted an incredibly engrossing story that is fast-pace and unpredictable--which is a plus for me since this is my first experience with this author!

"Transitory" initially catches the reader by surprise. At first glance, the reader experiences a momentary confusion due to the way the events of this book are presented. Being new to this author, I was willing to grant a large amount of grace thinking this may be nothin
N.N. Light
CEO Nate Maddox is finally taking a vacation, only this time, it’s not relaxation he’s getting but to witness his very own murder. Only it hasn’t happened yet. Is it a warning from a friend or a portent of the future? Nate enlists his alien guide, who’s also a former bodyguard, and his executive assistant to find the killer before it’s too late. But there’s more at stake than just Nate’s life. An alien race in jeopardy, mind-control and power over other races all play a part and if Nate can unra ...more
Sabrina
May 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Imagine a galaxy where all races are known to each other.....
Imagine a chance to leave your frantic CEO job and vacation on a beautiful moon with an exciting festival held once every two years.....
Now, imagine the gift of traveling through your own mind, your own past, to witness your most cherished memories once again...

For Nate Maddox, the festival was a little confusing, yet peaceful. Until he witnessed a horrible event in his memories....that hadn't HAPPENED in his memories!

A very well writ
Peter Roseman
Jul 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This thriller thoroughly engrossed me. Ian has a flair for the descriptive so his worlds and characters were completely believable to me, as did the reasonably plausible story. His ability to be descriptive tho' can tend toward the tedious, but rarely. The story is compelling enough, as are the turns to get you through the minimal tedium. I am a Hard Sci-Fi fan and while I would not call this "hard" it was still a good ride with really creative "spin" on how dreams can be "relived".... Really fi ...more
Charles Ray
Aug 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nate Maddox, taking a well-earned holiday on a distant moon, is reliving events from his past, when a stranger with murderous intent interrupts his vacation. With the help of mysterious strangers, he tries to determine the identity and motives of the killer, while evading him, only to learn that his true enemy is closer than he’d ever thought.

Transitory by Ian Williams is fun-to-read, escapist entertainment. Great dialogue and interesting action, and the aliens are intriguing—though their motive
Robert Madsen
An interesting twist and fun read

Transitory provides an fun read with an innovative take on time and the mind. The writing is above average. The writing style uses a lot of cliches, which usually detract from the quality of the story. The story also becomes a bit predictable. Nevertheless great effort on a first novel.
Edward Zulko
May 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting Read

I liked this book. Keeps your attention and also a little confused which is a good thing with a good SyFy. For a new author it is promising and looking forward to the next one.
Phillip Stephens
Jan 21, 2015 rated it liked it
Ian Williams managed to pound out a quick fun read in Transitory, transporting the classic D.O.A. crime plot into a sci fi envelope. Fortunately for the hero, this time his doppleganger is dead and the countdown still gives him time to save his life.

Nate Maddox, CEO of an astroid mining corporation, witnesses his own murder during a ritualized memory festival that occurs in conjunction with an intergalactic event called the Orbital Resonance. Together with his alien guide, a washed-up bodyguard
Ian Hunter
Jan 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi

I fell in love with Nate’s sassy mouth and cunning humor. His reactions to unusual and bizarre situations were often what mine would be, along with his coping mechanism of snarky remarks. It was nearly as much of a treat to be inside his head as inside this alien sci-fi environment.

I liked how the author spoon-fed us information, so the world slowly comes into focus, with the salient points popping and holding focus and easy to assimilate (the approach taken with Dune, and with well-written sci
Mistral Dawn
Mar 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Transitory by Ian Williams was an interesting concept and certainly one of the more unique books that I have read in quite some time. The author blends science fiction and an element of the fantastic into a successful book that keeps you interested and curious about the characters and what they will learn next. The book was edited well and there were only a few very minor grammatical or spelling errors which did not detract in the least from the story.
Throughout the book there were some areas w
Gina Burgess
I just couldn't quite get into this novel. It moved a bit slow, and the characters were not well developed. After about half-way through, I realized that I just didn't care about the characters, so I quit reading.
Linda Collins
Aug 13, 2016
Jessica Wren-Wilson
Nov 09, 2014
Ian Williams
Jul 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: i-wrote
added it
May 15, 2017
Trail-Mix Readers: Club Discussion of Transitory 20 12 Jan 28, 2015 02:58AM
Trail-Mix Readers: January 2015 1 11 Jan 15, 2015 07:18AM
Trail-Mix Readers: Book of the Month for January 2015 15 25 Jan 09, 2015 01:23PM
Want to support your fellow indie authors? 1 2 Jan 06, 2015 03:03PM
Jessica's Book of the Month Club 1 1 Jan 01, 2015 01:38PM
Ian Williams is a Science Fiction writer from the UK. His first book, Transitory, was published on Kindle in 2014.
After 7 years working for the UK Court Service, Ian began writing as a hobby. When that became his everyday routine he found himself lost in a world of infinite possibilities, never able to accept just one outcome of many. In the end he chose to ride the tide of time and allowed the fu