Start by marking “Link (The Shadow of Light, #1)” as Want to Read:
Link (The Shadow of Light, #1)

Link

(The Shadow of Light #1)

For seventeen-year-old Kira, there’s no better way to celebrate a birthday than being surrounded by friends and huddled beside a campfire deep in the woods. And with a birthday in the peak of summer, that includes late night swims under the stars.

Or at least, it used to.

Kira’s relaxing contemplation of the universe is interrupted when a piece of it falls, colliding with he
Published September 29th 2015 by REUTS Publications

To ask other readers questions about Link, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Link

Start your review of Link (The Shadow of Light, #1)
Simona B
*I received this copy from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review*

2.5

32%: "It seems totally random, I know."

50%: "How random."

92%: "Does any of this make sense to you?"

Conclusion: metaliterature!

(I'll be serious from now on, I promise.)

I think this is the biggest case of brilliant idea thrown out of the window I've ever witnessed.

The premise is astonishingly original. It's daring and new and fascinating. It has a great strength, which is its blend of science fiction and fa
Dianne
Summer, a time of youthful fun, campfires, parties, and good friends enjoying the freedom of swimming under stars twinkling in the night, sounds like teen heaven, right? What if the unbelievable happened and your world became split in two and you had one foot in each world? Kira was the only one still swimming when an object fell from the sky and she finds herself in a mirror world and has only a limited amount of time to get back to Earth’s world before “her” star dies.

Summer Wier’s Link opens
Melody Winter
Aug 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This amazing book is at last out in the big wide world!
As one of Summer’s critique partners I’ve seen this book grow from its early stages into the fabulous story it is now.
A YA Sci-fi Fantasy, LINK is based on pieces of scientific evidence, but Summer has taken elements of fact and merged them with fiction. The result is a spell-binding and wondrous story.
Summer’s prose is addictive and easy to read. The worlds she writes about come to life on the pages and kept me turning eagerly to the next.
Amber
Oct 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
**I received a copy of this book from Xpresso Book Tours in exchange for an honest review.**

Since the dawn of space exploration, humanity has been continually asking many questions: is there life out there? What lies in wait for us beyond the edges of our planet? We've been making significant strides in recent years with the myriad space probes and satellites soaring through the cosmos, but it still takes nine years for something travelling from Earth to make it to Pluto -- the furthest planet i
Anna (Adventures with a Book Nerd)
More Reviews Like This Can Be Found On Adventures with a Book Nerd.

I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

2.5 out of 5

This was an interesting book. I enjoyed certain aspects of this book, but there were things that really bugged me. One of those things being that I never really figured out what was going on in this book. In this book we follow Kira, who lives with her mother, and spends the rest of her time with her three best friends. All of that changes though when she
Rachel Kirtlan
Oct 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, netgalley
I was pleasantly surprised by this by this book. It's not that I thought I wouldn't enjoy it, I just wasn't too sure what to expect. It turned out to be a really entertaining and thought-provoking story with exciting worlds and people.

I loved the world that was created in this book - everything was so delightfully sci-fi, but still very human and relatable. I thought the existence of a world inside a black hole (AKA the shadow of light) was really unique, and all the sciencey talk about it was v
Danielle
Oct 08, 2015 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: science fiction fans
Read this review and more on my blog.

I received a free copy of Link for my honest opinion

It is not very often that I want books to be longer than they are, but with Link, I felt that important information and character development was left out due to its short length.
Link started out very intriguingly, and it only got better from there. There were a few great plot twists that I did not see coming! These unexpected plot twists, and my curiosity of what the ball of light was kept the pages turning
Julie
Jun 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Had the enormous privilege of seeing this book in its earliest form and I loved it THEN. Can't wait to get my hands on the finished product!
Ash
Mar 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
I received a free copy of this book from Xpresso Book Tours in exchange for an honest review.

LINK wasn’t at all like what I expected. I imagined a hard sci-fi read revolving around the idea that black holes aren’t the endless pits of blackness many presume.

description

LINK, in my opinion, is a light sci-fi with some more fantasy-feeling elements at times, and the combination worked well for this story.

LINK opens with the protagonist, Kira, sitting around a bonfire at the edge of a lake with a few of her
Jessica (The Psychotic Nerd)
This and other reviews can be found on The Psychotic Nerd

I received an ecopy of this book in exchange for a honest review

MY THOUGHTS
This book sounded really interesting, so I decided to pick it up! This book is a very interesting sci-fi, and wasn't what I expected, but still an interesting book. Some aspects of it fell short for me, but I still liked this book.

Kira is celebrating her birthday with her friends when a piece of the sky hits her. Literally. Now instead of dreams, Kira sleeps i
Jenni Walsh
Mar 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is one of those books where the author's imagination oozes. From page one, the world, or should I say worlds, that Wier creates jump off the page. And from page one, I enjoyed spending time with Kira as she comes to term with many facets of her life, not just in a plot-driven science fiction-y type of way, but her emotional demons. Kira's character became real to me and the tension Wier created oftentimes had my eyes jumping further down the page so I could see what was coming. There's some ...more
Tammy Farrell
Aug 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I found the ideas in this book very unique. Summer Wier has created a world where things aren't always as they seem, and that's what I loved about it. With perfect pace she reveals secrets, twists, and 'OMG' moments that kept me turning the page.
The main character Kira has guts, and even when she gets tossed between these strange worlds and learns that her whole life is about to change she doesn't give up. Her determination and need for the truth keep pushing her forward, and while she knows sh
Alexandra
Sep 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
Kira and her friends enjoy the night by the lake. The stars are bright and there is slight romance in the air. Until the star falls.
And Kira is hit by it.

From the beginning of the book, we have already the mystery set. Where did Kira go? What is this mysterious fair? And why a boy showed her a bright star?

These are the questions Kira must answer in a race against time in order to find a way to save herself and in the proccess to find more about her father.
The best part of the book I believe it w
Katie Hamstead
Feb 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
***Read and loved an early version of this. I can't wait for the final product!
REVIEW of Published Version
I love this book. The premise is so unique and well thought out. Traveling to another world through a dying star that's being sucked into a black hole? That's pretty neat. And the best part is that it's well executed. The characters are believable and likable, and leave you wondering what's happening below the surface.
I'm all about love interests, but this one I'm really torn about who I wan
Vesper Vesper
Oct 02, 2015 rated it really liked it

Link is a terrific story that blew me away with its uniqueness. Even though I read the summary, I have to be honest, I didn't know what I was getting myself into.

At first, I was a bit confused with everything, but as the story went on, things got clearer, making it a lot easier for me to understand the plot and what was going on in the scenes. I have to be a bit honest, I would have preferred a bit more information in the beginning because I didn't know that this... (more via website)
Liz
Sep 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Great imaginative clean read. I haven't read a lot of sci-fi, but I really enjoyed this book. Looking forward to the rest of the trilogy
Rae
Aug 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Let me start by saying: this book is kind of magical. Through the use of parallel worlds, Wier manages to transport the reader to a truly fascinating planet located inside a black hole, providing an Alice-in-Wonderland type atmosphere that’s kind of breathtaking. Every time Kira visited this new world left me absolutely entranced.

Now, here’s what I’m talking about: Kira lives on a planet that’s like Earth, but it’s not Earth. One night while swimming, a piece of the universe collides with her an
Poulami
Sep 24, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult, sci-fi
Originally posted on Daydreaming Books.

*I received a digital copy of this book from Xpresso Book Tours in exchange for an honest review.*

This book was.... good with an exceptionally awsome concept but it failed to make a lasting impact on me. I guess the romantic aspect bothered me too much but I did enjoy the plot which was laced with suspense and it was quite a thrilling ride.

Kira is a typical teenager who was spending her birthday with her friends when she decides to go swimming in the lake u
Aldii - perfectioninbooks
Oct 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
I recived this book in exchange for a honest review.

*4.5-5 stars*
I just finished this book and I loved this. If you love sci-fi this is the perfect book for you.
This book is amazing!

The writing:
When I requested this book I read the blurb and thought: 'this sounds really good'. However, it took me a while to read it. So when I started I didn't remember what was it about, I just only remembered it was a sci-fi and seemed good. You can say I went into it knowing almost nothing and that was amazin
Kisa Whipkey
Link is, in a word, unique. I’m not sure I’ve ever come across a book quite like it. It’s solidly science fiction, but I’ll admit that for the first third (up until a certain scene I can’t talk about because it would spoil it), I did wonder if it wasn’t actually dark fantasy. The truth is, it’s sort of both, crossing and blending the genres in a way that’s wholly original and entirely fascinating.

The thing I love about this one is that it’s not nearly as straight-forward as it seems at a glance.
Rachel
Mar 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
As soon as I heard the premise of this book, I waited impatiently to get my hands on it. I received Link as an ARC for an honest review. It is an intelligent, fast-paced YA fantasy I would recommend to any reader. My expectations were high, but they were blown away by the complexity Wier expertly created. The MC Kira has her world turned upside-down (or...mirrored) when she discovers she is linked to a dying star that allows her to cross over onto a new planet. But there are prophecies Kira must ...more
C.C. Dowling
Mar 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
For those of you interested in a YA Sci-Fi, dimension traveling, black hole science, teen romance/angst novel, then READ THIS NOW! I won't be offended if you don't finish this review because instead you're buying the book.

What I love about the book is the creative angle the author shows us for dimensional travel as well as alternate worlds. The author also does a great job of building suspense with the main character and the decisions she must make (no spoilers here). It makes me excited for the
T.M.B.A. Corbett
Oct 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a beautifully written book! I was enthralled by the writing from the first chapter. This book has the most unique parallel universe and sci-fi I have ever read in a young adult book before. The characters are also well written and you become emotionally invested in Kira's quest to find answers about herself, her star, and her father! I also loved the plot and how the author was capable of weaving sci-fi, mystery, and fantasy so effortlessly. I liked that the ending left some questions un ...more
Reina
Sep 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
LINK is the perfect blend of fantasy and sci-fi, without being too “sciencey.” (READ: it doesn’t go into laborious detail like The Martian does.) And of course there is just the right touch of romance.

Wier’s description of the “other world” makes you wish it was a reality. The writing and the premise made my imagination run wild with the endless possibilities of the universe. I was hooked by the story line, and honestly could not put the book down.

I want to say more but I don’t want to spoil any
Emily Taylor
Sep 03, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed, reuts
REUTs LINK 3.5/5

It is evident that Wier has done her research. The mechanics of this world Wier has created are complex, and fascinating - it is the selling point of this story; the originality of her core idea. So she has to get points for that. However, what is the strength of her novel, also to turns out to be her downfall.

FULL REVIEW (WITH GiFS): http://anothermisfit.weebly.com/book-...
Kathleen
Aug 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A fabulous read! A great premise, full of twists and turns and a bit of mystery and romance. The visuals make my mind happy dance. The science-y stuff goes a little over my head, but I didn't care. I can't wait for the next in the series.
Protect the light!
Priya Kanaparti
Aug 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars. Good story with great potential to keep getting better
D. Domain
Dec 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Sci-fi and YA readers
My Impressions: Oooo…Teen angst, a pining romance, daddy issues, adventure, intergalactic intrigue, BFF and birthday shopping. The plot is packed and the better for it. Add to that…Bouncy, fresh dialogue that’s realistically juvenile without being silly or grating (a hazard in some YA books, but not this one). Some mature topics like parenting and abandonment issues were explored. This made the story richer. Kira, the heroine, had a good life but also a real life, with complex issues and multi-l ...more
Heather
You can also find this review on my blog: Wings of Nephilim

Favorite Quote:
"I knew what that look meant. One of her astrological-reading-séance-hypnosis thingies."

I received an ARC of: LINK via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I have no idea what I expected going into LINK from the description to be honest but what I got was phenomenal. LINK was such a wild ride. It was most definitely unexpected in a good way and to me it was a fun and new idea. I have personally not read too many sci-
Torri
That is such a beautiful cover. I really try not to judge a book by its cover, but it is the first thing that you usually see. The cover is what caught my eye, but the blurb is what drew me in.

I really don't know how to explain this book. It's not really like any other book I've read, but I'm still pretty new to sci-fi and fantasy, though they've become a couple of my favorite genres. I mean, I went YEARS on just historical romance novels, hundreds of them. They tend to be a bit predictable and
« previous 1 3 next »

• Drums, Girls & Dangerous Pie
  • The Last Book Party
  • Room to Breathe
  • Death and Other Happy Endings
  • The Lemon Sisters (Wildstone, #3)
  • The Uncaging
  • The Lovely Here and Now
  • Making Lemonade
  • That Birthday in Barbados
  • Before She's Gone
  • In the Unlikely Event
Summer Wier grew up spending Saturdays with a maxed out library card and her nose in a book. But as much as she loved reading, and even writing, both took the back seat when it came to career choices. With her sights set on law school, corporate greatness, and even a hankering to become the first female president, she set off to conquer the world. As life would have it, though, she didn't attend l ...more

The Shadow of Light (3 books)
  • Lost (The Shadow of Light, #2)
  • Light (The Shadow of Light, #3)