Start by marking “Alice In Wonderland High” as Want to Read:
Alice In Wonderland High

Read Book* *Different edition

Alice In Wonderland High

Sixteen-year-old Alice just can't find a way to be free. Her parents are environmental activists whose cringeworthy public protests might involve chaining themselves to a fence and pleading with passersby to “Save the World. Save Alice!” It’s not that Alice doesn’t believe there’s work to be done. But after a petition to start a farmers’ market meets with more snickers tha ...more
Published April 18th 2015 by Simon Pulse

Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
I love fairy tale re-tellings. Alice in Wonderland happens to be one of my favorite ones to read. This one...I just can't.

Wonderland is a town in which environmentalist teens have decided to take a stand against waste. Alice's parents have passed away but not before asking their daughter to continue their crusade of Ecotage. *face-palm*

Alice begins by trying to steal the school's letterhead paper from the school office. Aided by her somewhat fickle friends Dru and Di, they pretty much dump her
Jazmen
May 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-favorites
I love Alice in Wonderland retellings and that's that. I haven't read one yet that has disappointed me, and this one is no exception.
With an odd backstory of eco-friendly, go green, tree hugging weirdness--I was a little concerned I wouldn't really enjoy this story. I thought it might read a little cheesy but despite my previous concerns--I really enjoyed this story.

A breakdown of the plot: Alice's parents, are what you might call tree huggers. They're very into an eco-friendly lifestyle--but, t
Raegan   Ralls
-Disclaimer: I won this book for free through goodreads giveaways in exchange for an honest review.-

I was not into this book at all.
It had too much talk of the
environment and overall I found
it boring and cheesy. The idea of
the book seemed interesting at first
but in the end I didn't finish it.
Chelsea B.
Opening Line: "If there was one thing I'd learned so far in high school, it was this: good girls are just bad girls that don't get caught."

Quick and sweet: A team of environment-conscious friends try to figure out what is going on in their town in this contemporary young adult retelling of Alice in Wonderland.

POV: Alice, first person.

Heat: Kissing, all mild.

Follow-up? Not that I'm aware.

Favorite character: Kingston. What? I like me a snarky boy. I won't apologize for that. Besides... I felt it b
Talina | Sassy & Dangerous
Review to come!
Talina | Sassy & Dangerous
May 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Also reviewed on my blog, Sassy & Dangerous!

“Alice in Wonderland High was a wonderful retelling! This book is fast paced and definitely a great read for the summer!”

photo large_4.gif

When I received this book in the mail, (a huge thank you to the author and Merit Press!) I was an excited bookworm. I grew up with lots of Disney and classical books, so I was crossing my fingers, hoping I would love this book... and I did!

In this retelling, we come across Alice who is a sixteen year old girl that unfortunate
Samantha
May 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Alice may not have been quite as extreme as her parents were about environmentalism before they died, but she still firmly believes in the cause and wants to take strong action. After her own activism routes seem sub-par, Alice discovers a hidden world of environmental vigilantes at her high school who might be willing to make her part of the group…if she can prepare herself for what’s in store if she does.

As soon as I read the premise for this story, I had to read it. A Wonderland retelling mee
Melissa
Jun 27, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: own
Jen Panton
Aug 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read an ARC of Alice in Wonderland High, and I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It's a contemporary twist on the classic story, following eco-loving Alice as she falls in with a environmental vigilante group at school. The prose is often laugh-out-loud, and the characters are so dynamic and quirky they absolutely jump off the page (particularly Whitney and Kingston). There is so much creativity on display in the reworking of the classic scenes into this new contemporary setting. It's fun to spot ...more
Laura Walker
May 14, 2015 rated it liked it
I really wanted to like this book, but it was a challenge getting through it. the characters themselves were interesting, Kingston clearly was the best, but I really gave no craps about Alice and chess. they were just suddenly in love and all mushy. and the story...I wasn't into. I enjoyed the references but this was just a miss for me.
Denise Jaden
Dec 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was really fortunate to read an early copy of this book, and thoroughly enjoyed the unique take on the original. A smart and quirky retelling with heart, fans of Ally Carter will love Rachel Shane’s debut, Alice in Wonderland High.
Brenda Schneider
Apr 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
A quirky retelling of Alice in Wonderland. A fun read. I won this book in a goodreads giveaway
Michelle Wrona
This review can also be found on A Thousand Lives Lived, check it out for more reviews!

*3.5 star rating*

I can't even try to tell you how many Alice in Wonderland retellings I've gone through... and how many I've been so utterly disappointed with that I'm not able to handle anything like that for a year. Okay, you've got me—it's happened every single time, except for this one.

I finally have found the right book for me. You just cannot even imagine how much pain and suffering I've gone through t
Hailee Meghan Ava
Mar 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Okay first off I just want to say I mean no offense to the author whatsoever. This book was so underwhelming. I mean I enjoyed bits and pieces of it but as a whole I didn't really care for it. the romance between chess and Alice was so awful and it drove me insane and because of their horrible Romance I kept putting the book down and almost didn't want to finish it. What got me through this book though was Kingston's character he was one that I quite enjoyed and rooted for the whole time even th ...more
Rae
Mar 31, 2018 rated it liked it
Not the best teen fiction, but definitely a creative retelling of Alice. I found myself looking for the stereotypical Alice lines and was not disappointed. Stressed the values of trust, love, loyalty, and environmentalism.
Donna Fogelman
Feb 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
It is an okay book. I just couldn't finish it. It was to hard to keep up with it.
Tris
Mar 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Reseña en el futuro cercano, espero (?)
Nicole
Jun 07, 2015 added it
Shelves: review, young-adult
When sixteen year old Alice sets out to make a difference in her small town of Wonderland, the last thing she expects to do is make herself a target for laughter and ridicule. But starting a petition for a local farmer's market isn't something her peers and classmates fully understand. It isn't even something her best friends understand.

Defeated and dejected Alice is lost. Not sure what to do next or how to live up to her environmentalist parents expectations, Alice is ready to give up. That is
Audrey Wilkerson
Re-imagining fairy tales and their sistren has been a hot commodity lately in the book world. You've got a built-in audience of people who already know the story and will enjoy trying to find the similarities with their favorite stories. And while I love many of these, I can rarely pass up an opportunity to read a re-boot of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland.

In this version, Alice Liddell is a high school student whose parents died on their way to a protest. She lives with her sister, Lorina, in
zapkode
{My thoughts} – Alice is a teenage girl that seems to have her thought perception of life a tad skewed due to the impact her parents life choices had on her own life.

Alice’s parents took part in eco-terrorist protests trying to improve the township in which they lived. One night they were on the way to a protest when they crashed and inevitably didn’t survive. After that Alice’s sister became her main care provider and was forced to grow up faster then normal and get a job so that she could atte
Cheyenne
This was definitely a different take on the classic tale, but fitting in its own quirky way. It's fun and whimsical, as any Alice story should be, but it still has that core feeling of being about something important. Being more than what it appears to be. Though I suppose it's a little more obvious in Alice In Wonderland High. This was a very well written and thought out book. I didn't really connect with the characters but I did start to feel for them near the end. I'd give this book a 3.5.

The
Dayanara
Apr 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
I receive Alice for free through Goodread First reads.

To be honest when I first saw this book at the giveaway, what capture me was the interesting cover and the word High cause I knew right away the setting would be high school, and I'm always a sucker for settings taking place in academy, school set. So I gave it a try, read the summary and I was interested and conflicted because if u go to my page you will see I'm more into the paranormal side.
After reading, I'm glad I won.

Rachel Shan
Jan Dillard
Jun 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads, own
I may be one of the only people in the country who has never read Alice's Adventures in Wonderland or seen the Disney movie, but I know enough of the story to be familiar with the characters. Alice in Wonderland High was a clever retelling of the story. I received a copy of the book free through the Good Reads First Reads program. Alice is a high school girl who has adventures and encounters people such as Chess Katz, who has a wonderful smile. I am not sure how die-hard fans of the original wou ...more
Adriyanna Zimmermann
Actual rating 3.5

ALICE IN WONDERLAND HIGH was an enjoyable read, with writing I immediately connected with and a good retelling of Alice in Wonderland, something we haven't quite seen before in YA. I loved the protagonist Alice, she was smart and likeable, but also flawed. I also loved the other characters, they were an entertaining bunch - funny and mysterious! I wasn't quite into the plot, I think the book was a bit underwhelming in that sense. The plot was solid but I wasn't 100% into it.

I th
Susan
Jan 05, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya
Alice In Wonderland High is a fun, trippy contemporary retelling with numerous nods to the original story. With quirky characters who talk in riddles, intriguing mysteries, and crazy eco-missions involving covering houses with plants and freeing animals from a lab, there’s never a dull moment. The dialogue is a little confusing at times (though a lot of that is done on purpose, I think), and the insta-love between Alice and Chess could’ve been more of a slow burn to really make me get behind the ...more
Natasha
Apr 20, 2015 rated it liked it
It was a fascinating read as it is easy, and sometimes a little hidden, to see the characters and dialogue from Alice in Wonderland come to life in the high school.

While this Alice seems a little too fit in, at the expense of the law, the spirit of saving the environment and the planet should hit a cord with readers around the world.

it is too easy to see the parallels from Wonderland and the way that we are currently going. We are paving over valuable farmland as well as needed information.

A g
Patrycja
Sep 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
A high school drama from different angle and for different reasons.
Fun to read. The story also makes you think about environmental issues and corrupted world surrounding us.
Alice is a high school student. She was a good girl. Or rather" a good girl who was a bad girl, but she just didn't get caught". She becomes friends with a group of eco- vigilantes . She gets involved in many activities that weren't the most legal and superior.
All the characters in the book are dynamic and driven.
It is a re
Gail Nall
Mar 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 15ers, arc, ya
A retelling of Alice in Wonderland, but this book is so much more than that! I especially loved the voice -- Alice is a likeable, funny character who wants so badly to be part of a group. When she finds herself a member, things start to get a little out of control. The characters are especially well-done, and I found myself second-guessing their loyalty to Alice throughout the book. A really great read!
Sheree Gibson
Apr 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
The story started slow as the slew of vandals, er. characters, were introduced. As the mysteries grew, I became more engrossed. It took me back to my own youth, reading Nancy Drew and her do-good friends. I liked the way the author tied all the loose ends. Well written and fast paced.

Per FTC rules, I received this book free via Goodreads.com.
Patricia Atkinson
May 02, 2015 rated it liked it
alice wants to get in with the wrong crowd so she can be a part of what her parents were doing before they died.problem is she has always been the good student.so to show her new friends she can be bad she helps out with pranks to get the township to notice.mean while her sister is investigating who is doing this....
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Red Queen (Wonderland University #1)
  • Witches in Wonderland (Wicked in Moonhaven #3)
  • Winterdream
  • A Dream So Dark (A Blade So Black #2)
  • We Will Be Crashing Shortly (April Mae Manning #2)
  • The Forgotten Mountain (The Collectors' Society, #3)
  • Screaming Divas
  • Follow the White Rabbit (Beautiful Madness, #1)
  • The Mad King (The Dark Kings #1)
  • Wicked Wonderland (The Looking-Glass Curse #1)
  • The Complete Alice In Wonderland
  • 4 to 16 Characters
  • The Slayer and the Sphinx  (The Slayer and the Sphinx, #1)
  • Who Is Mackie Spence?
  • The Curious Case of Mary Ann
  • Moseh's Staff (Artifact Hunters #4)
  • Scripted
  • Clouded by Envy
Rachel Shane studied Creative Writing at Syracuse University and now works in digital Project Management in New York City. She lives in New Jersey with her husband, young daughter, and a basement full of books.

Sign up for my newsletter to get exclusive content including deleted scenes and a free short stories when released.