Start by marking “The Unexpected Bride (The Brides #1)” as Want to Read:
The Unexpected Bride (The Brides #1)

The Unexpected Bride

(The Brides #1)

What’s a man to do when his father orders him a bride?

Rebecca Sullivan has been “Becky” all her life, a real hoyden. Her childhood sweetheart taught her to ride bareback and shoot a rifle, but then he chose a “perfect lady” for a wife—a real Southern belle, who’s now expecting a baby. Heartbroken, Becky signs up to be a mail-order bride to a Seattle man, sight unseen.
Paperback, 1st Edition, 270 pages
Published October 4th 2014 by Indigo Road Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Unexpected Bride, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Unexpected Bride

Start your review of The Unexpected Bride (The Brides #1)
SheLove2Read
Feb 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Predictable, but not a bad read. If you like historical chaste western romance, give it a try.
Dawn
++Spoilers++

Meh. Squeaky clean Christian romance.

I don't mind clean reads as long as the romance is sweet, but here is was just plain frustrating.

Long story short:

Girl pretends to be something shes not which causes problems until she realizes she just needs to be herself.

The rest in between is a series of lack of communitcation and presumtations between the H & h that could have all been resolved if they just spoke to each other and told the truth.

The ILY's don't come until about 85% of the
Cheesecake
Becky the liar and Isaac the long suffering.
At about half way i just started skimming like mad til 80% and I was just plain 'mad' at the book. DNF!
Waaay too many misunderstandings for Waaaay toooooo long. At first I could understand Becky wanting to keep her true character a secret. I mean, all her life her so called father and mother have treated her like poop, and she is believed it was because she was a tomboy. That would be fine if she lived out west, but she lives on the East coast. Even
Shantelle
The Unexpected Bride turned out to be quite the sweet and heartfelt story. Book one in The Brides series by Lena Goldfinch, this old-fashion, mountain romance is an unexpected treat, :)

Desperate to get out of the shadow of her father's disapproval, and the lingering reality that her beloved chose someone else over her, Rebecca Sullivan signs up to be a mail-ordered bride. She's also leaving behind her “Becky” side, and that young woman's hoyden ways. Reading a letter from a kind man named
namericanwordcat
It should be no secret by now that I love Mail Order Bride romances. I adore strangers who need a partner getting to know each other and falling in love.

This is a lovely example of the sub genre. The setting in a logging operation is interesting as are the reasons behind our heroines decision to become a Mail Order Bride.

Our hero is both tough and tender. The spiritual elements of the book are well done and more reflective than pedantic which I like.

I think the basic conflicts ring true but
Penny Watson
Oct 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars, rounded up

Sweet inspirational romance.
Amber
Sep 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A simply ravishing and utterly enthralling tale of always being true to yourself no matter what! This story will echo inside your soul long after it has ended. Its message will firmly grip your heart and promise to take you on an unforgettable ride! You are a beautiful treasure that God created to bring a very special message to this hurting world that only you can deliver. This is something that we all have to learn for ourselves, but once we learn it, the most important thing we can do is to ...more
Miranda A. Uyeh
Nov 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is one of the best books I’ve read this year. Once again, Lena Goldfinch didn’t disappoint with this piece. It’s amazing how her author voice remained strong and true to the plot elements and settings despite the change in genre (she’s published YA/Romance before now). Her attention to detail—even the language attitude of the historical setting—was delightfully brilliant. There’s a right mix of emotions, humor, and every other flavor needed to make a story just right and enjoyable, ...more
Joann Maggio
Dec 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
The Unexpected Bride written by Lena Goldfinch ****

Another endearing western romance from Ms Goldfinch. 1866 Rebecca (Becky) Sullivan is broken hearted that her childhood sweetheart married a sweet lady like girl from the South. Becky has been repeatedly reprimanded by her father for her hoyden ways and is coming to realize perhaps he was correct.

She is very unhappy at home and signs up to be a mail order bride and travels to Seattle to meet her future husband. The whole concept of these Mail
Stephanie
Dec 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Such a great tale of a new couple finding the rhythm that fits them just right.
Becky is a hoyden which I have inferred she was a hellion growing up and a little bit of a tom boy. I absolutely loved Becky and I am pretty sure everyone else will also.She has a strong personality but tries to transform herself into what "society" deems to be the best outlook of a woman. For anyone who has ever felt that they had to be someone they are not inorder to be accepted then you will fall in love with
Christine Woinich
Dec 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I fell in love with Rebecca and Isaac right away. Their struggles to get to know each other without being completely honest with each other pulled on my heart. There were moments I had tears in my eyes and moments when I wanted to yell "open your eyes". This was a hard-won HEA, and I am glad that I made the journey with them. I look forward to the next book.

I had the opportunity to read this story for an honest review.
Britney
Dec 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The Unexpected Bride is a wonderful, historical romance! Lena Goldfinch’s talents abound and I was so excited to read this sweet story. Engaging, humorous, and romantic, The Unexpected Bride is pure delight! I enjoyed the vivid imagery and attention to historical details, as well as the endearing characters and enchanting storyline. I loved this tender tale and can’t wait to continue the series!
Karen
Nov 17, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I found the groom mostly judgemental & not accepting. Wife feeling she has to hide true nature.
Sally L. Moran
Dec 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Unexpected Bride

Very good and interested story. The characters were very down to earth and made you feel like part of the story. Thanks for a good read.
Emily
Sep 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The Unexpected Bride was a sweet historical romance by Lena Goldfinch. Brokenhearted with nowhere else to go, Becky signs up to become the mail order bride of Isaac, hoping against hope that her new romance will be as successful as the Biblical Isaac and Rebecca’s. But, in order to be the perfect bride, Becky has chosen to hide her true self. Will she ever gain the courage to show her husband her “hoydenish” true self?

I am having a very hard time writing this review. I always have trouble giving
Roxanne
Sep 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Love this book! Thanks to the author for providing me an advance ebook to read and review. Set in the year 1866 in "wild Seattle"' this delightful inspirational read revolves around the arranged marriage of Rebecca "Becky" and Isaac. A marriage arranged by his pop. Complete strangers Isaac and Becky must decide whether this marriage is to endure or not; whether they can open their hearts to each other and love or not; whether they can trust God or not; whether they can be real and transparent ...more
M.A. Nichols
This was a sweet romance. I don't know that everyone would enjoy it as much as I did, but if you're a sucker for a story about a girl jilted in love who finally finds happiness, then this is a book for you. I definitely sympathized with the heroine and felt for her as she struggled to find her way in the world.

That being said, it's certainly not a perfect story. There's a subplot that felt a little tacked on--like it's there just in order to introduce a character who can have a later spin-off
Barb
Sep 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Rebecca Sullivan’s father thought she was a hoyden and was forever chastising her to be “a proper lady”. Becky liked to ride bareback; she was a crack shot and did things no respectful lady would do. When her love Jack returned from the war, married to a proper southern lady, Becky decided that she would be more attractive to men if she were a proper lady. She also decided that she could not stay in the same town with Jack and his new wife especially since she was expecting. When she found out ...more
Julie Graves
Sep 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014-reads
I really enjoyed this sweet romance! Rebecca is quite the character. I love that she was so determined to make her unconventional marriage work. She did frustrate me for a while with trying to be someone she wasn’t, but it was understandable considering her background. I really liked Isaac as well. He was an honorable and handsome character. I loved his desire to provide for and protect Rebecca. I think that a good story causes the reader to feel like the characters are real, and that is the way ...more
Victoria Leo
Jan 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you have a soft spot for capable no nonsense women

I'm competent and make no apology for it. Ladylike ladies bore me. So this story of a duck in the wrong pond really appealed. Good plotting, nice characters, lyrical descriptions of early Seattle. Doesn't rain as much as the reality, but makes the plotting easier if you can keep your powder dry. Highly recommended. Fun commentary about biblical Rebecca being a mail order bride....
Miriam Rivera
Jan 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful book!

I just discovered this author and I'm going to look for more of her books. I just loved the story, characters everything was great. The way Rebecca grew as a person and understood her love for Jack was nothing more than a childhood crush. Even issacs reluctance to get close to her was well written and made us understand why he couldn't let go of his insecurities towards their marriage.
Diane Newman
Jun 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good story. Id read more by this author

This book was set in Washington state which in itself is slightly unusual. Usually these pioneer romances are in Montana or Colorado etc. My one negative is only because I live just north of Seattle. The Olympic mountains do not surround Seattle. They are across the Sound on the peninsula. The Cascades are closer but still miles from Seattle.

Patricia
Jan 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was a sweet, clean and simple love story about a mail order bride (a mail order request from her future father-in-law posing as her intended). She came all the way from the east to Seattle area to a logging camp. Good cast of characters and a nice story. I look forward to reading more by this author. I loved the artwork on the cover. Such a fresh, original look on this book compared to all the covers of the books I have been reading lately.
Laura Stevens
Oct 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
i had fun reading this book. Becky was a real but misguided bride, married to the "strong, silent type". they didn't know how to communicate and all sorts of misunderstandings popped up. how they resolved the conflicts make up the basis of the book. two other characters bring extra dimension to the story.
Leeanna Campbell
Nice story

It was a good story. It wasn't exactly what I was expecting, it is heavily laced with religious references. I found myself sometimes quite irritated with the heroine. She spent most of the book being in love with another man, which I was not a big fan of. She also constantly lied to the hero of the story, and didn't come out with the truth until about 85%.
Rita C
Jan 19, 2016 rated it liked it
I liked the characters and it ended well. I understood why the heroine acted the way she did. The plot and her character definition laid it out fairly clearly. However it was frustrating to see her do so, knowing it was so needlessly causing her problems.
Nicole
Dec 06, 2015 rated it liked it
This book is cute. Story is similar to other Seattle mail-order bride stories I've read. Definitely recommend if you need a quick, simple, sweet story to read. I appreciate the cleanness of the love story, and the faith of the main characters.
Sharon Rudolph
Apr 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book

What a wonderful book!! The characters and the storyline were wonderful. I couldn't put the book down, I had to finish it!! I loved the characters and am excited to read the rest of the series!
Mema
Jan 20, 2015 rated it did not like it
So...incredibly...boring.... DNF at 25%
Lucinda
Jan 30, 2016 rated it liked it
Cute story and characters. Clean and romantic. Those who like mail-order bride stories will like this one.

• Flame and Ember (Regency Love #1)
  • His Bluestocking Bride  (Branches of Love #3)
  • His Secondhand Wife (The Copper Creek Brides #2)
  • Logan (Bachelors and Babies Book 2)
  • Rescuing the Rancher (Cowboys and Angels, #3)
  • A True Gentleman (Regency Love #2)
  • The Bargain (Regency #1)
  • The Shameless Flirt (Regency Love #3)
  • A Bride for Keeps (Unexpected Brides, #1)
  • Mail Order Mystery (Brides of Seattle, #1)
  • Barclay (Bachelors and Babies, #4)
  • Rescuing Lord Inglewood (Inglewood #1)
  • Jake McClure
  • An Arrangement of Sorts (Arrangements, #1)
  • Dallas (Bachelors and Babies Book 5)
  • Beauty and the Baron (Forever After Retellings, #1)
  • The Accidental Mail Order Bride (Chance at Love, #3)
  • Without Words
LENA GOLDFINCH writes sweet historical Western romance, inspirational romance, and books for teens, books with a taste of "sigh-worthy romance." Lena has been a finalist in several national writing contests, including the RWA Golden Heart and ACFW Genesis contests.

Latest Releases:
CHRISTMAS CAKE KISSES
SWEET BRIAR ROSE

THE BRIDES SERIES:

* THE UNEXPECTED BRIDE
... "This old-fashioned mountain romance

The Brides (4 books)
  • Sleigh Bells & Mistletoe (The Brides #2)
  • The Bartered Bride (The Brides #3)
  • Only the Heart Knows (The Brides Book 4)
“There was a form of contentment in doing what she could and not worrying about the rest.” 1 likes