Start by marking “Assimilation, Love, and Other Human Oddities (Claimings, #2)” as Want to Read:
Assimilation, Love, and Other Human Oddities (Claimings, #2)

Assimilation, Love, and Other Human Oddities

(Claimings #2)

Ondry and Liam have settled into a good life, but their trading is still tied up with humans, and humans are always messy. When political changes at the human base lead Ondry to attempt a difficult trade, the pair find themselves entangled in human affairs. Liam wants to help the people he left and the worlds being torn apart. He also wants to serve Ondry with not only the ...more
Published September 23rd 2014 by Loose Id, LLC

Start your review of Assimilation, Love, and Other Human Oddities (Claimings, #2)
Jenni Lea
Aug 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant!

You've all heard the term 'Death by Chocolate', right? Well, this was 'Death by Ondry'.

I cannot express how much I love Ondry. He may be my #1 most loved character out of any book I have read, ever. He is pretty much the most perfect specimen of male and he's not even human! I'm seriously thinking of having T-shirts made that say 'I Ondry' on them. I love him that much.

Assimilation, Love, and Other Human Oddities is not your standard romance. Sure, there are romantic elements and you
SheReadsALot
Before Reading:

Tears of joy because this solidified my enjoyment of this author's words.

After Reading: The world building...the connection...Liam and Ondry. Yes. *happy sigh*

Check out our unicorn group review on BMBR of Assimilation, Love, and Other Human Oddities - dudes it was 5 hearts unanimously across the board!!!!!

5 Hearts - I had to really think about my feelings on this one.

This story will not work for everyone. Warning, this story is not for everyone! You want gushy, mushy love scenes
~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~

Gala's Assimilation, Love, and Other Human Oddities returns to the world of Ondry and his palteia Liam. It sinks us into the Rownt culture, where logic, status, and trade are valued above all else, and there's no word for war.

Gala's writing, the depth or her linguistic research, and the world she creates are magical.
The Rownt had preserved nature on most of the planet, so they found no special beauty in an unspoiled landscape the way humans did.

This book is not about kink, and there is no
Rosa, really
Sep 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: EVERYBODY -- get on it, people!

I suspect that just like Claimings, Tails, and Other Alien Artifacts, Assimilation will be added to the list of books I’ve read and reread so many times my Kindle sighs and asks me why I have nothing better to do with my life. Well, my Kindle can suck it.

Liam and Ondry have such trust in each other, value each other so highly -- how could you possibly not want to experience that over and over again?

Ondry:
When Ondry would lie in bed at night and Liam would stroke his neck until his skin tingled
Emma Sea
I have this vision of a genre called M/M Fiction, where you could take out the romance/sex, and the book would stand alone, but which has a distinctly M/M feel in syntax, characters, structure etc and is not at all the same thing as Gay Fiction. And look, here is Lyn Gala striding boldy forward in my new genre, with a first contact novel which stands alone perfectly happily if you took out the mind-melting tailsex and ilsil: not that we want to do that!

I super-enjoyed the hell out of this.

To be
Lyn
Audio 4.5 stars
Story 4.5 stars

I'm still enjoying this series. I love how affectionate the MCs are. Ondry's protectiveness of Liam really comes out in this book. It was glorious.
Julio Genao
Dec 02, 2015 rated it it was ok
i didn't enjoy this one as much as the first. i thought it was most interesting when liam was bartering.

naturally, the bulk of the book is liam and ondry explaining things to one another and a new character, who was interesting for a hot second until she (view spoiler)
Shin Mon Thway
Wow, I can’t even find words to sum up how I feel about this book. This books is an art. The intricacies, delicacy and the amount of details on linguistics of this book, it just blew me away.

So the journey of Liam and Ondry continues here as they tried to trade with a human captain who’s sent to Prarownt as the first contact linguist and Ondry is struggling a bit with the other Rownts who will neither accept or deny his Ka status at a mere 200 years of age. (Which is considered still a
Sheziss
I can barely stand this awesomeness!

Now I'll seek my own Ondry everywhere!

Don't want to come back to RL!

Optimist ♰King's Wench♰
Palteia.
description

I've been struggling with what to say about this book for several days now. Gone through several revisions, some were downright terse. In short, I loved it. Adored it, really, but I don't think it will resonate with everyone. There are romantic moments between Liam and Ondry that are divine especially when Ondry was drawing love symbols on Liam's neck with his fingers. *sigh*

However, I wouldn't necessarily categorize it as a romance novel. It's tagged science fiction and space opera,
Lyn Gala
Sep 01, 2014 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
To anyone keeping track of this, the new cover is now out...

... and we are on track for a September 23 release date. Now what do I do with all the "short story" bits that didn't make it into the book. I've asked for my editor's opinion on that one, BTW.
Kaje Harper
Sep 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I love Ondry. Not just as the perfect mate, someone for whom care and protection of his partner is his driving force, beyond even making a profit. But also as an alien, whose thoughts and motivations are not identical to human processes. He's not just a tall man with a purple skin. He's similar enough to be wholly engaging (and lovable) and different enough to be intriguing. I really enjoyed getting both his and Liam's POVs in this installment.

You have to read the first book first. (Note that
Vivian
Sep 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, romance-scifi
Think I preferred this one over the first because we get a better look at Ondry and Rownt society. I really enjoy the world building even if the gerontocracy sets me on edge. Plus, Ondry's an absolute sweetheart, I'd let him tail me.

And, I still want a pillow nest.

Favorite quote:
"I like how you smell, but if you do not, I also like it when your smell is so faint that it is something for only me.”
* A Reader Obsessed *
4.5 Stars

Now if every D/s book I read (which isn't many) was like this, I would wholly embrace the genre. This strips things bare and shows what I assume, or would like, as an ideal representation. Perhaps since it wasn't a human/human relationship with traditional reciprocating sex, this probably made the extra difference.

Hands down Ondry was the best part of this book. He may not truly grasp the human concept of love, but he knows loyalty and faithfulness. Towards Liam, he is generous,
Lilia Ford
Lovely. It's probably impossible that I could adore this as much as Claimings, Tails, and Other Alien Artifacts, which is literally one of my favorite, most reread books, but this sequel contained more of Gala's fascinating exploration of cultural difference through a focus on linguistics, and on how our words, and at times our lack of words, reflect both our priorities and our limitations. It was wonderful to have access to Ondry's perspective and get more insight into the Rownt way of looking ...more
Ann
Wow.

Just, WOW!

I don't have words that will do this one justice.

5 Freakin’ Stars My Friends!

What an amazing book. I honestly could not put it down once I started. I thought I loved Liam and Ondry after reading Claimings, Tails and Other Alien Artifacts, but reading about them as an established pair in Claimings #2 was an experience that was so much more than just loving a couple of characters. Their dynamic has matured and everything I “pretty much understood” in Claimings became crystal clear
♣ Irish Smurfétté ♣
I've said it before, will continue to do so, and say it again here: external conflict with which characters must deal is so much more interesting, real and satisfying than manufactured, unnecessary, and transparent conflict between characters in an attempt to create tension in a story.

Gala once again achieves this as she did in book one, Claimings, Tails, and Other Alien Artifacts.

My buy-in is practically immediate and much deeper when characters are permitted to share themselves in this style
Chelsea
Re read- Oct 2017
July 2015 - Amazing just amazing! No one compares to Ondry and Liam.

Review:

Such an amazing book! I was absolutely glued! Liam and Ondry are such a sweet and special couple. I expected this book to be a little slow, just a relationship building type story, you know daily life routine but there was so much happening that I literally could not put the book down, case in point, I'm writing this review at 4am. It was quite funny as well, hearing Ondry's commentary on human logic. oh
Otila
Sep 23, 2014 rated it liked it

*****3.5*****
I love the relationship between Ondry and Liam. Ondry being all growly and possessive pushes my buttons and TAIL SEX is still awesome. I also really like seeing humans through Ondry's eyes and him trying to understand how people can be so illogical. It did drag a little every time Liam starting explaining Rownt language and culture and stuff. I didn't feel it so much in the first one but it got a little too much for me in this one. Still an enjoyable read and I was happy to see this
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
3.5 stars. Review soon.
A Girl Has No Name
4 stars!

Considering the fact that I’m normally not into alien m/m stories, falling in love with Liam and Ondry came as quite a surprise to me. I read the first installment and when I finished it, I knew that I had to learn more about the Rownt and Liam’s future with Ondry.

I love the fact that human habits and culture are described from the Rownt’s point of view and I have to admit that it made me laugh countless times. We are truly bizarre in most of what we do!

Human logic was a truly
Susan
Re-read May 2018

--------------------------

Ondry is an alien, a Rownt. Liam is human and his palteia. This is kind of like a submissive, except a palteia is highly valued in the Rownt culture.

In this Liam is still very happy als Ondry's palteia. But the military still hasn't let go of Liam completely and they try to trick him into coming back. Ondry must protect his palteia at all cost..

I absolutely love Ondry. I love how dominant he is and how he would do anything for Liam.

There are lots of
Jaela
Jan 17, 2017 rated it it was ok
I don't really know how to describe this book. I had my doubts about the first one in the series and that made me read the second. It didn't impress me any. It felt too off and maybe it was just me, but I think I'm done with this genre, for now.
There aren't many feelings or things that can make me read any other installment in the future.
Liam and Ondry's relationship is very strange, being two different non physically compatible species and all.
Sofia
Sep 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, 3-5-stars

Having left Liam and Ondry hale and hearty in Claimings, Tails, and Other Alien Artifacts, I was on a bit of a fence about reading this. Sometimes reading a sequel takes you away from where you imagine the characters to be. Thanks to Ms Gala though I did not end up somewhere completely different. Liam and Ondry’s life is like I imagined and more and I liked the more.

The story gets a little bit technical at times but that is part of the whole Rownt culture, wouldn’t feel as if I am in
Karen
Sep 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
This really isn't going to be much of a review as I've decided at this point simply to say that I am still enjoying this series tremendously and have already jumped into book #3 which for now is the final installment of this series. Hopefully there will be more one day...in the no too distant future.

Once I get done with book #3 I will do a review that with any luck will adequately express how much I enjoyed this series and the company of my lovely friends here on GR who joined me for this buddy
Sunny
MORE ONDRY!!! AND LIAM!!!

As in the first book, the world building/cultural study was fascinating, and we learned even more about the differences between humans and the Rownt. I loved watching Ondry process human interactions; it was interesting to see what another species thought of human behavior. I do wish it had been balanced with more romance, though. What we got was wonderful, but I wanted more. I'm greedy like that ;)

I highlighted so much and want to share all the things. Instead, here are
Ula'ndi Hart
Oct 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lgbtq, sci-fi
Overall book rating: 5
Audio Book: N/A
Book Cover: 4

There isn’t really a whole lot to say about this other than I’m in love with this series.

It’s something NEW and original and I love the journey Lyn Gala is taking me on. I can honestly say that this series is something that took me by surprise. It's so out of the ordinary run of the mill I just love it to pieces.

I can’t wait to read the rest. I’m all starry eyed.

Jennifer☠Pher☠
I don't think I liked this as much as I did the first but it was still very, very good. It is a fascinating world and the growth in the characters is a beautiful thing to watch.

Is it over? I am confused because it ended like there could be more but I thought the series was complete?
Heller
Shelves: mm-pew-pew-alien
Perfection. My only complaint is having to wait for the next book.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Confirm release date? 2 13 Sep 22, 2014 06:43PM

• Changed: Mated to the Alien Alpha (The Omega Colony, #1)
  • Alpha Trine (The Valespian Pact #1)
  • Jailmates (Maxim Colonies, #1)
  • The 5th Gender (Tinkered Stars)
  • Human Omega: Trapped in the Alien Jungle (Pykh #2)
  • Human Omega: Discovered on the Slave Planet (Pykh, #1)
  • Omega Society Auction: Book One (Rourke #1)
  • Omega Society Auction: Book Two (Rourke #2)
  • Human Omega: Babied by His Guardian Mates (Pykh, #3)
  • The Degan Incident (Galactic Conspiracies #1)
  • Taken (The Harvest #1)
  • Gravitational Attraction
  • NoX
  • Malik (Kif Warriors #1)
  • Lightbearer
  • Omega Society Auction: Book Four (Rourke #4)
  • Kríe Captivity (The Nira Chronicles, #1)
  • Clutch (Forbidden Desires #1)
Lynsey "Lyn" Gala started writing in the back of her science notebook in third grade and hasn’t stopped since. Westerns starring men with shady pasts gave way to science fiction with questionable protagonists which eventually gave in to any story with a morally ambiguous character. Even the purest heroes have pain and loss and darkness in their hearts, and that’s where she likes to find her ...more

Claimings (5 books)
  • Claimings, Tails, and Other Alien Artifacts (Claimings, #1)
  • Affiliations, Aliens, and Other Profitable Pursuits (Claimings, #3)
  • Expeditions, Estimation, and Other Dangerous Pastimes (Claimings, #4)
  • Ends, Means, Laws and an Angry Ship
“If I were not so highly ranked and mature for two hundred, I would test the genetics and make a point out of telling the male that he had been rejected in favor of my sperm.”
“You’re having a fantasy about that right now, aren't you?" Liam asked.
"Yes”
2 likes
“At this rate, he was going to have the strongest tail tip of any Rownt living.” 1 likes