Jump to ratings and reviews

Elite: Dangerous #6

Elite Dangerous: Out of the Darkness

How do you win a high-stakes game when you don’t even know you’re being played?

Competent, driven, broken: Moira Dolan is a talented investigator who buries herself in work to hide from her past. She succeeded, until her brother, Keagan, wrecked her career. Now she works for the Proteus Collective.

By night, she’s tormented by the same dream. By day, she’s assigned dead-end cases by Ferris - a boss who seems intent on making her fail. It appears personal, until Keagan goes missing and Ferris’ actions are cast in a whole new light...

Moira thinks her latest assignment will have her chasing ghosts between the stars, but instead she uncovers a deadly conspiracy threatening the precarious balance between the galaxy’s major powers, one that could cost billions of lives.

If you’re not predator, you’re prey.

BACKGROUND

What helps make epic space adventures like Isaac Asimov’s Foundation saga, Frank Herbert’s Dune series, Star Wars, and Star Trek so gripping? Setting, amongst others. It is the immense scale, the developed backstory and history, which give characters’ actions meaning and makes for a captivating tale. The most memorable stories are set in universes not just vast in size, but that stretch back through time.

One such setting is Elite: Dangerous. Diverse, distinctive, and over thirty years in the making, it provides a rich source of inspiration for any storyteller. SFF fans searching for alternate realities can immerse themselves in 400 billion star systems, 1300 years of future events, and epic space adventures like Out of the Darkness.

DETAILS

Loading interface...

About the author

T. James

12 books9 followers
Details of my published work are available from: http://tjames.info

I was born on the 16th Feburary, way back in the 1970’s, in England. I still live there with my lovely wife and lovably mad young son.

Believing that writers are human beings too, I have decided not to cut myself into separate pieces and give them each a pseudonym. I persist in the belief, however unusual, that readers are intelligent enough to cope with a single writer who embraces a range of styles and genres. (Except when I write as a character!)

My experiments and dabblings even include a little poetry. You can find my assorted scribblings at: http://tjames.org

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
2 (3%)
Displaying 1 - 4 of 4 reviews
34 reviews1 follower
January 31, 2021
Books based on computer game worlds have generally been ones which I have bought with excitement and then read with disappointment. For some reason they just tend not to work and feel flat and uninspired. As a result I approached this one with a bit more caution. I have played Elite Dangerous a bit but am certainly not up on the lore; and I have only read one other book set in this universe and it was enjoyable if not steller.
This though was a very good book.
Part of what makes it so good is that it doesn’t feel like it is in a computer game universe; it feels like it is a totally original science fiction piece and this makes a huge difference. There are some references to the game (mainly the ranking levels of pilots) but they are not barriers to the story and if you miss one then it doesn’t ruin things. I certainly didn’t see any in-jokes etc which I have seen in past computer game books. The second sell for me was the characters. Moira is a rather brutal protagonist but her story is a good one and she is a believable character. There are highs and lows in her story and you feel those with her. The primary antagonist is a little harder to pin down and his motives did pass me by to a degree in terms of the details; but enough was clear that he works as a villain even if the finer points were lost.
The only real complaint I had about these is that the story is left hanging to a degree. The events in the plot are boxed off but a follow up is set up and at present I do not know if there is one. If there is then great but if not then the lack of fulfillment is something of an odd choice.
All in all though this is a good book to read; even if you have not played the game as it is more than capable of standing on its own feet as a piece of space opera. If you are into the game then the links into that will make it an even more enjoyable one.
March 6, 2020
Good story

Excellently written, great characters, good plot.

The three things I look for in a book. this story has them all in spades.
25 reviews
March 18, 2015
I'm an Elite/Elite:Dangerous video game fan and I found this entertaining. If you are not then maybe try something else as I think that aspect made me ignore some of the cracks in this novel.

The action and tension is good for most of the book but there is a slow section in the middle where nothing happens except for some strange interaction between two central characters. That did not add much to the story and was a drudge to read. Characterization generally is not good - pretty much everyone is a stereotype (always-angry action-girl, super-nerdy techie, power-mad villain, etc.) and I didn't warm to any of them in any way. But for a first novel the author has managed a decent story and one I wanted to complete.
Profile Image for Nik Clement.
7 reviews1 follower
September 3, 2014
As the last of the first tranche of official Elite fiction, it was definitely worth the wait.

The story is deep enough that I'm sure I'll pick up new things on subsequent readings.

A fast paced story loaded with enough of the usual suspects for antagonists, with every character having depth and believability. Will good triumph over evil and will there be casualties along the way? Is everyone what they seem, or are intrigue and deception the way of life, that people end up living.

I couldn't put this book down and thoroughly enjoyed it.
Displaying 1 - 4 of 4 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.