Start by marking “Martian in the Playground: Understanding the Schoolchild with Asperger's Syndrome” as Want to Read:

4.33  ·  Rating details ·  55 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
This exceptional book illuminates what it means to be a person who has Asperger's Syndrome by providing a window into a unique and particular world.
Published January 1st 2000 by Sage Publications Ltd

To ask other readers questions about Martian in the Playground, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Martian in the Playground

Xan West
Jan 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: essential-texts
What I liked about the book was all the quotes from autistic folks, and that it was written by an autistic person. It's rare to find books about autism that include autistic voices, and this is the first I read, and I remember the experience of reading it more than the book itself so I can't give it a proper review, except to say, I needed to read it and I'm glad I found it when I did. This is the kind of book where I stopped to type long passages into my laptop so I would always have them.

This
Amy
Feb 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of SO many books I wish I'd had--or that those around me had had--when I was a child. I am not sure yet if it would have helped or changed anything, but it certainly would have made me feel less alone and less like everything was my fault. I like to think it would have given ideas to the adults around me on ways to TRY to help.
Elaine Rees
Nov 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Every teacher should read this book!
Katie
Jun 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
A very interesting book about life having Aspergers at school from a number of perspectives. Well worth a read for all. A fantastic insight.
Gwen
Aug 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library
Very convenient book, explained nice and plain, exactly what you'd want and expect from it.
Nicola Gee
Catherine Reid
Jun 25, 2016
Reindert Van Zwaal
May 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
A book that is very useful and gives important insights in people in the autism spectrum can feel at school and the many challenges school comes with. All the quotes from people on the autistic spectrum were really valuable and useful to refer to in the future.

What I found most astonishing is that the current policy's direction to fit many autistic children in the regular education system is intended to let these kids acquire social skills. If there is ONE thing children with autism do not like
Angie