Start by marking “Adaline (Adaline #1)” as Want to Read:
Adaline (Adaline #1)

Adaline

(Adaline #1)

He may look identical to the hundreds of other Boys that surround him, but there is something different about Boy 1124562. When he closes his eyes in the quiet of his sensor-filled cube his mind doesn't go blank like the rest of his brothers. Instead, 1124562 dreams.

Kindle Edition, Second Edition, 189 pages
Published December 26th 2016 by Denise Kawaii (first published September 20th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Adaline, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Adaline

Start your review of Adaline (Adaline #1)
S.E. Anderson
Sep 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Adaline is a society of identical clones, living like bees in a hive. Everyone is numbered according to when they were born. They are birthed, raised, and cared for by machines, who weed out any 'anomalies or signs of individuality that would somehow threaten Adaline - which is anything that exists outside their parameters, be it eye color or even the ability to dream.

The plot might sound familiar, as it's the premise of quite a few scifi series: what happens if the human race was grown and
Elizabeth Mathis
Goodreads Rating: 4.13 Stars
291 pages
Self-Published by Denise Kawaii
Find it here!

With the help of a rogue teacher, 1124562 discovers that there is more to Adaline than brushed steel and robotic Nurses. When a Boy suddenly escapes the
Susanne Perry
Jan 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In a future world where conformity is the norm and warm humanity is replaced by cold machines, one boy dares to be different with the help of a trusted mentor. Kawaii’s style is simple and honest and the reader easily places themselves in the madness of a future society. The story is gripping and the characters are engaging. Appropriate for younger teens and YA readers, they’ll find the book enjoyable and thought-provoking. Adding the second and third in the series to my reading list.
Itsatushy Garland
Sep 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
1124562 is a Good Boy. All he or any of the boys want to be are good boys.

What else could there ever be?

And what happens to Bad Boys?

Is it okay to even ponder such questions?

If I ask them am I a bad boy?

This is a journey far away from the world that you know to a place where all it same and life is routine.
What happens when one boy disrupts the prescribes way of life in a set culture?

An imaginative otherworldly story, this was an amazing and a bit disturbing read.

Loved it!
Grace
May 20, 2017 added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one
Recommended to Grace by: No one
not a good book I read it I read the first hundred pages and got bored!
Debra H. Wruble
Oct 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Intriguing

Weirdly fascinating story about clones who are cared for by robots in a private commune. Interesting characters and imaginative story.
Keith
Oct 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Amazing!

Great first installment. Can't wait to explore this world further in the sequels. It's a fun mix of cyberpunk and biopunk. A little man vs machine and a little man vs self with regards to clones.
Katherine
Oct 21, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed, sci-fi

This is one of those books where I feel bad rounding down and giving it only two stars because I actually enjoyed the reading, but I feel like the execution throughout most of the story was incomplete. More specifically, it never gives enough information to make it feel like a complete story. Yes, I realized after finishing and looking at goodreads that this is only the first in a four part series (thank goodness there is more), but even a first book needs to provide enough information
Cora
Jul 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book gave me a sort of nostalgia for school days when I had to read books like The Giver, and Brave New World, and others along that theme. One where the rules are strict, and the creator(s) unknown, and any attempt at curiosity would be snuffed before it could begin. I thoroughly enjoyed living inside 62’s head as he progressed through his stages of life in Adaline. I was left however, wanting more. I wanted more answers, and more details, and more everything. Thankfully there is a sequel ...more
Julie Fuller
Oct 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book. Once I started reading I didn't want to put it down. I love when a writer is able to get my imagination working and Denise Kawaii does just that. I am looking forward to what happens to this boy in the next book!
Suzanne Hagelin
May 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
“Adaline” is told in what appears at first to be a simple, linear way. As it unfolds, the original world and vivid imagery add layers of meaning and build not just a physical world but a psychological one as well. Kawaii has something to say and we should listen.

Adaline itself is a construct of seemingly identical clones, raising, working, serving, and running their world along strict guidelines. Entering the institution with one of the boys, the reader learns and experiences the rigid life with
Just Joe
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Adaline

I couldn't put it down and I read this in two sittings!

(view spoiler)

Denise Kawaii's fantastic and surreal dystopian masterpiece enthralled me. For me it read almost like a memoir, but in second person. I continued to be pulled into the main character's

M.S.
Aug 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What is the meaning of life? (Or “62” should have been “42”)

This is an exceptionally well written, methodically crafted tale of a utopian society, Adaline, told through the eyes of clone 1124562 (or “62”). 62, and hundreds like him, are beginning their C.A.T. (Career Aptitude Testing), a phase that determine their place in Adaline - a society that values uniformity, following rules, and unquestioned acceptance of one’s place.

But just because they are clones doesn’t mean they aren’t different in
Maya Daniels
Sep 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very well written novel about society where humans are cloned by one man that had a dream of a perfect world and he created Adaline; a place where machines control the upbringing and behavior of men. Generations later a boy that we get to know as “62” dares to defy it by having a curious and creative mind. He dreams of a world without machines.

It’s a slow story with intricate world building and character development that gave me chills as I was reading it. The author does a wonderful job at
Miss Jenny
Intriguing! One thing struck me about half-way through reading - there were no females in this book! I did have a bit of trouble pinpointing 62’s age but a younger teen is what I settled on though if I did some fancy math with the cycles I’d probably have an answer that way.

This book probably had more appeal to boys vs. girls. It’s very science and technology based and there is a lot of passages that go into detail for this (possibly a good junior high book if you teach those subjects).

I liked
Megan
Mar 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great slow burn dystopian (or is it?) story

What a fascinating world in this story!! I love books where the imagination of the author impresses me throughout. This book is a little slower on action, but the great writing and world-building make it an easy read. I love the concept and the promise I see in it. There were still a few intense, nail biting moments, and I was really rooting for 62!! I love how these almost replicas still manage to be individuals. The machines are fascinating because
Amy Shannon
Oct 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
powerful read

Kawaii pens a great thought-provoking story in Adaline, the first in this series. It gives a look at a new world, where cloning is part of the society. It is a great read, and brings to life the society of clones, where each is only identified by a number, and a long number is shortened. It's one of those stories that you won't forget, and Kawaii pens something unforgettable, and makes you eager to read the next story in the collection. The story is filled with the survival journey
Jeanne
Feb 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Unusual and captivating

When I began reading, I found this book overwhelmingly reminded me of Anthem, written by Ayn Rand. Even now, after finishing the book, there is an eerie similarity - not so much in the story itself, but in the emotions that are generated.
The story is well developed and carried me along with little effort. I felt as though I were present in the room, looking on as events progressed.
Certainly recommended.
Betsy Brown
Jan 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed a different take on a dystopian environment. The fact that it's all men and machines makes for some interesting possibilities (or limitations) for the sequels. I would recommend to anyone that enjoys dystopian literature!
SweetSweeede
Mar 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very well-written story. It's not anything like I usually read, and I can't say I understood it, but it was unique, cleverly scripted and I'm sure fans of the genre will enjoy it.
Barbara J Wicks
Jan 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A strange fascinating read

What a creative mind the author has!!! Characters and places are described so well that It 's easy t see them " in your dreams".
Ky Adams
Feb 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating!
Libby Barland
Jan 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Adalind

Great story line. I felt I was a part of the world that 62 lived in. His imagination felt real. His teacher 71 filled in all of the details.
I truly enjoyed this book.
E.A.
( I received this book free from the Author through Goodreads group [Shut Up And Read] {Read It & Reap} for my honest review )

1/2

I'm awed at this. There's so much wrong with the world inside this book, but it’s not a bad kind of wrong. The sameness, the lack of freedom, and the constant hovering of evil robot nurses that will spray you with sleeping gas if you aren't a good boy, is unsettling, and for me, angering.

The structure is complex, and like the boys, you are learning about a place
Sarah-Jayne Briggs
Feb 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
(I received a free copy of this book in exchange for a review).

(This review may contain spoilers).

This might be the only cloning story I've read (or seen) that has only one gender involved. I felt that was one of the more interesting things about the world within this book.

I liked the fact that I followed 62's progress and got to know the world around him as he grew and learned. It was really cool to see how his dreams worked, but I did feel there was less imagination involved than there could
Pete
Mar 26, 2015 rated it really liked it

Adaline is Huxley’s Brave New World on steroids. The novel takes place inside a huge building that is managed by machines in service of “The Community.” All the human inhabitants (at least all that we meet) are male and cloned from the same genetic material so they look more or less identical. The story focuses on eight-year-old-boy #62 (the populace uses numbers not names). Through his eyes we learn how Adaline trains its citizens.

One of the most enjoyable aspects of reading from Big Al’s long
Emily
Oct 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Morgan
Jun 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone!
Shelves: first-reads
I receiving a free copy of Adaline through a Goodreads first reads give away. I am not usually very good at remembering numbers but after reading Adaline I cannot get 1124562 out of my head. 1124562, or 62 for short, is the name given to the main character of Adaline. His name is a number like all of the other many boys "created" in Adaline who live in cycles and are being tested and taught so to one day be placed in career path making the valuable to their society. They boys are constantly ...more
Barb McKinley
Jan 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Sci-fi readers of all ages.
Recommended to Barb by: Author, Denise Kawaii
***I RECEIVED A COPY OF THIS BOOK FROM THE AUTHOR IN EXCHANGE FOR AN HONEST REVIEW***

Autho, Denise Kawaii, does a masterful job of creating a frightening world of men. The way their world is described makes me glad this is fiction. Her creativity is amazing in describing a world that unrecognizable.

The characters are wonderfully described and while different at the same time identical. The personalities are relatable to people you know. Even the bad guys are interesting. You will be turning
Charity
Apr 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
For full review please go to: 5girlsbookreviews.blogspot.com, Twitter @camartinez and Facebook "5 Girls Book Reviews"

REVIEW BY: Angel, age 13 years, 5 months

MAY CONTAIN SPOILER:

This book was brilliantly crafted! It was intense like The Giver, but longer and a little more complex! I have a feeling that everyone is going to adore this book.

This book is about 1124562. He is identical to the rest of his brothers, but he has emotions, dreams and tons of knowledge. When 62 starts having anger, his
Shut Up & Read: {Read It & Reap 374} Adaline by Denise Kawaii 20 44 Feb 12, 2015 05:43PM

• The Sleepwalkers (Gordon Pope, #1)
  • BlueBuried Muffins (Black Cat Cafe #1)
  • Flow (The Flow Series Book 1)
  • Mind Games (Gordon Pope, #2)
  • A Distant Moon: A Sci-fi Novella
  • The Bar Harbor Retirement Home for Famous Writers (And Their Muses)
  • Dear George, Dear Mary: A Novel of George Washington's First Love
  • Black Bird
  • Daybreak
  • Of All the Gin Joints: Stumbling through Hollywood History
  • The Surge
  • The Depths
  • Unquiet Spirits: Whisky, Ghosts, Murder (Sherlock Holmes Adventures #2)
  • Murder a la Carte (Nikki Hunter Mysteries, #4)
  • Girl Divided
  • Il giorno dei morti: L'autunno del commissario Ricciardi
  • Cradle: Foundation (Cradle #1-3)
  • The Concordia Deception (Space Colony One, #1)
Denise is a Portland, Oregon native who wandered the United States for many years before deciding that The Northwest truly is "home". Now known as the Woman With a Thousand Hats, she's shucked the shame and shared the hilarity of being a woman juggling motherhood, business ownership and writing.

Her memoir, Woman With a Thousand Hats, describes in hilarity her failure of dozens of "real jobs"

Adaline (4 books)
  • Biocide: Book Two (Adaline 2)
  • Curie (Adaline book 3)
  • Division (Adaline Book 4)