Start by marking “How to Bake an American Pie” as Want to Read:
How to Bake an American Pie

How to Bake an American Pie

3.55 of 5 stars 3.55  ·  rating details  ·  112 ratings  ·  28 reviews
How do you bake an American pie?

Preheat the world until fiery hot with a hunger and thirst to be free. Now find a giant melting pot on the shores of a great shining sea.

From the bestselling author of Bear Snores On comes a remarkable recipe for America.

Including a dash of purple mountain majesties, cupfuls of courage, and a pinch of liberty, this beautifully illustr
Published May 22nd 2007 by Margaret K. McElderry Books

To ask other readers questions about How to Bake an American Pie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Bake an American Pie

Kathryn
I love Wilson's Bear books but this one didn't quite touch me as much as I thought it could have. It felt a teensy bit clichéd to me and the illustrations just didn't match the text enough for my taste. It was all a bit abstract and I'm not sure how much kids would get from it. That said, it did have some lovely lines and I appreciate the sentiment.
Dolly
Jul 04, 2010 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a fun little story to read on Independence Day. It is full of pithy platitudes, but is sweet and has a nice rhythmic flow and rhyming text. The illustrations are fun too. Probably one of those books that adults can appreciate more than the children do.
Terrie Wolf
Perfectly Delicious For All Ages! Of course, this is a work intended for children K - 3rd Grade, but the verse is lyrical and the "pictures" are enough to make your mouth water. This is not your average book about Independence Day. Rather, it is a lovely little offering about the important things like freedom, tradition, and respect. The best part of all is these ingredients all come together via the best apple pie recipe ever! A snippet:

"Preheat the world until fiery hot with a hunger and thirs
Johna Brown
I enjoyed this cute "Patriotic" text it was very creative. It incorporated things from the Star Spangled Banner and the constitution. The author uses characteristics that typically Americans use to define America. This book would be perfect to read around Labor Day, Independence Day, or Memorial Day.As a teacher, I would read this story to my students as a whole group. I would read it at the beginning of the school year to help students warm up to the new environment and embrace their own identi ...more
Candice
Mar 05, 2011 Candice rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Most people who want a nice 4th of July book to read to children.
Shelves: picture-books
A cute little patriotic book. I probably should have saved this to read on July 4. It uses some phrases from America the Beautiful to show how a dog and a cat bake an American pie. "Now find a giant melting pot on the shores of a great shining sea" and "Now roll out a top of spacious skies to cover this county of ours." The illustrations are so imaginative. Some cover the entire two-page spread without any words at all. As I read I thought that illustrator Raul Colon must have had so much fun cr ...more
Kira
Everyone with children needs to get this book and read it! Actually, I think it's a fun read for adults too :) Sentimental and poetic, Karma Wilson has published yet another masterpiece into Children's Lit. The witty text is littered with familiar phrases from The Star Spangled Banner and the constitution, with gentle reminders throughout that America is the great melting pot and under God's grace, and built by hard work and loyal hearts. I loaned this from the library but I plan on purchasing i ...more
Karen
The text in How to Bake an American Pie is a lovely poem about ideally what it is to be an American and what forms America. Karma Wilson, author of the charming "Bear" books, is equally charming here and surprisingly poignant. As an adult, it reminds me of what is best about my country and countrymen. After a fractious election season, I savored every heart-warming word. For a child, the book gives ideals that are attainable, if not always present.

As much as I love Jane Chapman as the illustrat
Naomi
Karma Wilson is very quickly becoming one of my favorite children's authors. Loved this book although I do agree with other reviewers that the majority of the kids in its age range won't get it. Parents would need to teach to it.
Heather
37 months - O has asked me to read this a few times since bringing it home from the library. I think she enjoys the illustrations and she likes the rhyme. I don't think kids will understand the meaning of the text though. She has caught a couple of things... purple mountain majesty she knows is the Rocky Mountains we can see west of Denver, she commented on 50 stars being "ALOT" tonight and I explained the meaning. She recognized the Statue of Liberty and Mount Rushmore (as we were there last we ...more
Joy Lane
4th of july and making a pie
Brooke Devarennes
This book was just alright. However, some of the elements were a bit stereotypical. It was cute how all of the "ingredients" for an American Pie were a Melting Pot, a Shining Sea, and Freedom, etc. This would be a great book to use during the 4th of July. There were great examples of alliterations, and parts of speech. Also this was a rhyming book and could be used for sequencing.
Sandy Brehl
Both the illustrations and the text contain details, references, and vocabulary suitable for curricular discussions at upper ages. The tightly metered and rhymed text has a lilting pace. The humorous images of the dog and cat throughout and splashes of familiar words and elements make it an effective read aloud for young children, too.
Heidi
This book was really good. The rhyme scheme was not too obvious. The pictures were very good. And the symbolism, though maybe a bit too high for the younger audience, is still wonderful for all who read it. As I am proud to be an American and am loyal to my blessed native land, I liked this book and all it represented to me.
Christian Padgett
Nice metaphor of using a pie to describe America. In the book, the author uses characteristics that typically Americans use to define America. From courage to national symbols, this book does a good job at making the reader think about how a pie and America are alike.
Carla Mackay
one of my favorite books. simple, yet beautifully written. the illustrations are easy and catchy enough for the young ones.
my children love it. this story has become our Independence Day tradition...
Dorothea
Fun Independence Day book, incorporating the lines from the song "America the Beautiful" into the text. Good conversation starter for a 7 year old or older. My daughter and I enjoyed this book.
Mindy Reid
This wonderfully crafter poem includes pieces of our American heritage in recipe form. A fun read for primary aged students that incorporates many of our nation's best qualities.
Melissa
Your rating of this book will depend on whether these familiar American phrases make you feel warm and full of promise, or cranky about promises inconsistently fulfilled.
JaNeal
A great book for the Fourth of July. I love how familiar patriotic phrases are woven into the verse. The pumpkin pie framework makes it feel complete. Nicely done.
Beth
This is a creative display of the qualities and landforms that make The United States of America unique.

Now, I'm not sure that I want to eat a slice of that pie...
Lisa
It was a nice book, but I wouldn’t call it the best of the year. It would be great for a July 4th story time. I see adults liking it more than kids.
Julie
This was cute and very imaginative. The kids loved the illustrations! We are reading alot about patriotic themes and this went along great!
Shakila Lightfoot
How To on how to make a pie. They have to learn how to be descriptive so this would be a great book.
Kristen
Such a cute little patriotic book for kids. I may have to buy this one!
Shelli
Good read aloud for children to celebrate July 4th.
Jim
the story of America as an ideal, beautifully told.
Laurie
Makes me want to break out into "My Country, 'Tis of Thee."
Jen
Fun read with a Christian element.
Wakeupandlearn
Wakeupandlearn is currently reading it
Jul 03, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Karma Wilson grew up an only child of a single mother in the wilds of North Idaho. Way back then (just past the stone age and somewhat before the era of computers) there was no cable TV and if there had been Karma could not have recieved it. TV reception was limited to 3 channels, of which one came in with some clarity. Karma did the only sensible thing a lonely little girl could do…she read or pl ...more
More about Karma Wilson...
Bear Snores On Bear Wants More Bear Stays Up for Christmas Bear Feels Sick The Cow Loves Cookies