Start by marking “About Time 4: The Unauthorized Guide to Doctor Who (Seasons 12 to 17)” as Want to Read:
About Time 4: The Unauthorized Guide to Doctor Who (Seasons 12 to 17)

About Time 4: The Unauthorized Guide to Doctor Who (About Time #4)

4.35  ·  Rating details ·  127 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
Constituting the largest reference work on "Doctor Who" ever written, the six-volume "About Time" strives to become the ultimate reference guide to the world's longest-running science fiction program. Written by Lawrence Miles ("Faction Paradox") and long-time sci-fi commentator Tat Wood, "About Time" focuses on the continuity of "Doctor Who" (its characters, alien races a ...more
Published January 1st 2010 by Mad Norwegian Press (first published December 30th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about About Time 4, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about About Time 4

Nicholas Whyte
http://nhw.livejournal.com/917754.html[return][return]I loved the first two books in this series, but felt it would be difficult for the same quality to be kept up for all volumes. This one, covering six of the seven Tom Baker years as Doctor Who, is, frankly, squashed, with fewer than nine pages on average for each story covered, compared to eleven-ish per story for the first two volumes. (Though in pages per episode broadcast it comes out better, at 2.2 which is the same as Vol 1 and a shade m ...more
Sammy
Sep 21, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
It seems I'm not alone in thinking that this book doesn't quite live up to the previous three volumes in the series. (Although the third volume has been revised and updated since the others were published, so that would help explain its thoroughness.)

There IS still a lot to like: the mechanics and entire world of each story are relentlessly chronicled and picked apart. Miles and Wood's "Things that Don't Make Sense" section is always a crack-up. And as always they approach the series with a mix
Jonathan Norton
Jan 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Miles&Wood's comprehensive expansion of "The Discontinuity Guide" in to a 6-volume epic is great fun if you just skip to the review sections. This instalment covers most of the Tom Baker years and has got lots to enjoy, the only annoyances being Miles' fatuously prescriptive declarations about what fantasy ought to be, and the utterly meaningless views on how some scriptwriters "did not understand television". I don't understand what the substance of that complaint is supposed to be.
Don
Jul 25, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: doctor-who
By this point in my Who watching, I was getting pretty tired of it. Too much Who in too short a time? Too shoddy production values? Too much (far too much) Tom Baker? Probably all of the above.

Hell, the book itself may have been more entertaining than the stories it was commenting on. But then, that's at least as much due to how fantastically enjoyable these books are, as to how uninspired the Tom Baker years were (for me).
Wendy
Feb 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: doctorwho
Another excellent volume in the About Time series. Particularly interesting as it covers the episodes that I first watched as a child, the ones that were really formative to my experiences as a Doctor Who fan. As such, I tend to regard all of them, classics and clunkers alike, with a glow of nostalgia. It's quite interesting to see an informed critical take on these episodes.
Anne
Dec 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
Definitely not a book for me to read cover-to-cover. Rather, as I'm making my way through the series I'm reading about each episode after I've just watched it. The book is a great companion piece since I don't always catch the cultural references or have any inkling of the production /behind-the-scenes drama. And I enjoy the critiques. Heh, even including all the jabs at Star Trek.
Unwordy
Feb 12, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: mis-toktor
Otherwise wonderful; however, I would have dearly liked for the lore sections to be much, much longer.
Jenni
Jas'
Jan 06, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

About Time (8 books)
  • About Time 1: The Unauthorized Guide to Doctor Who (Seasons 1 to 3)
  • About Time 2: The Unauthorized Guide to Doctor Who (Seasons 4 to 6)
  • About Time 3: The Unauthorized Guide to Doctor Who (Seasons 7 to 11)
  • About Time 5: The Unauthorized Guide to Doctor Who (Seasons 18 to 21)
  • About Time 6: The Unauthorized Guide to Doctor Who (Seasons 22 to 26, the TV Movie)
  • About Time 7: The Unauthorized Guide to Doctor Who (Series 1 and 2)
  • About Time 8: The Unauthorized Guide to Doctor Who (Series 3)