Start by marking “From a Distance (Timber Ridge Reflections, #1)” as Want to Read:
From a Distance (Timber Ridge Reflections, #1)

From a Distance

(Timber Ridge Reflections #1)

What happens when the realization of a dream isn't what you imagined... and the secret you've spent a lifetime guarding is finally laid bare?

Determined to become one of the country's premier newspaper photographers, Elizabeth Westbrook travels to the Colorado Territory to capture the grandeur of the mountains surrounding the remote town of Timber Ridge. She hopes, too,
Published June 1st 2008 by Bethany House Publishers (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about From a Distance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about From a Distance

Start your review of From a Distance (Timber Ridge Reflections, #1)
Loraine
What happens when the realization of a dream isn't what you imagined. . . and the secret you've spent a lifetime guarding is finally laid bare?

This first book in the Timber Ridge Reflections series was amazing. The characters were so compelling, each flawed by their past; yet their relationships were so warm and caring. I loved that the author developed such a deep relationship between Elizabeth and Josiah- a friendship between a white woman and a man of color was totally out of character at
Zette
Jan 06, 2010 rated it liked it
Although I rated this book with only 3 stars, I really don't think it had anything to do with Tamera Alexander's writing or the story itself. I enjoyed the main plot and the way the other details of the sub plots were woven into the story. I especially enjoyed Josiah's character. I think I just had a hard time connecting with the heroine which I've found lately either makes or breaks a book for me. Elizabeth was a likeable personality but I didn't feel that she put God first in her life. She ...more
Ruth
Feb 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Elizabeth Westbrook's dream of becoming a newpaper photographer whose work is accepted under her own name (instead of a male pen name), is put to the test when she travels to the untamed Colorado Territory. Her assignment is to take pictures of the area's majestic countryside and surreptitiously investigate the feasibility of investors back east developing the area around the town of Timber Ridge into a resort property. Elizabeth is a strong, prickly character whose occasionally abrasive manner ...more
Melissa
I was very impressed with the writing of this book. I always hesitate a little going into Christian fiction, sometimes all they do is pray and preach and the story gets lost. There was none of that is this. The story was the base of this book and it was very powerful and moving. The main character I liked and learned to love as the book went on. I like how she saw in herself the changes that needed to be made and made them. The leading man was awesome and I totally fell in love with him and how ...more
Marion
I really enjoyed all the different layers to this book. Learning to trust God. Living by Jesus' words we have from the Bible. Romance. Mystery. Friendship. History.

I feel though like some loose ends were left and not the kind to be answered in the next book of the series...which I already checked out ;)
Jeanette Grant-Thomson
Perhaps three and a half stars.

This is the first book in the Timber Ridge Reflections series by Tamera Alexander.

Full of ambition as a photographer for a newspaper, Elizabeth Westbrook travels to remote Timber Ridge amid the magnificent mountains of Colorado. She hopes to get stunning photos that will further her career. Also she hopes to find a cure for her mysterious ailment.
From the first, Daniel Ranslett seems determined to cut across her plans.
In the course of the book's events, both
Tito
An entertaining read for sure. Character development was great, and I honestly had no complaints whatsoever. A great way to pass 3-4 hours. Tamara Alexander is quickly becoming a must read author for me.
Kate
Jun 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked how this book started out right in the middle of a scene. When an author uses this technique, more likely than not, it's successful in pulling me into the action and keeping my interest throughout the novel. Tamera Alexander does this well.
I liked how spunky (well, let's face it, Josiah was right . . . sassy!) Elizabeth was, but that she also learned how to be humble and allow herself to be taught by those who knew more about specific things than she did. I especially liked that she
Kim
Aug 29, 2018 rated it it was ok
Annie Hogle
Aug 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic Book! Definitely in the top 5 of my Summer reads!!
Fv
Aug 08, 2014 rated it did not like it
She is a liar, a bold faced liar, and the author keeps making light of her lies. Calling it a secret..... pffft!

She lies to her father, to the sheriff, to her friends, to the man/men she hires and then add to that, she claims love for God.

And she is self centered and selfish. This is not a decent woman to be heroine, just a typical greedy, selfish, career oriented woman. Not all career women are like her, but the selfish, self-centered ones are. That first of all is way out of place or the
Kae Cheatham
For some reason, when I bought this book (Kindle edition) I missed the "2009 historical ROMANCE winner." Hence, the three stars are for my personal preferences. I'm sure, for the genre, it's a five star book.

But I avoid romances, mostly because of the often implausible forced coincidences that keep the protagonist and her guy at odds throughout the book. This one I hoped would be different, and I was disappointed. I was reading passages that made me groan with the often comical happenstance. I'm
Emilee
Jul 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I read this book when it first came out. I am a big Tamera Alexander fan. Every book of hers that I have read, which is all of the ones that are currently out, I have enjoyed. I love the historical facts, the characters, the suspense and the romance. Alexander has wonderful endings to her stories. This book is no exception. The whole book is very well written and I was very impressed at the how she brought it all together at the end.
Kellyn Roth
Aug 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: review-to-come
The author never will write an ending that isn't rushed! She's like, "Well, we went through that slow-paced, sweet romance with lots of different timelines and complexity and it wasn't exactly a thriller ... andnowigottawrapitupsofastDONE."

I know, I love Tamera Alexander's books more than anything, but this is a flaw that shows up in most of her stories!! xP
Jerry
Nov 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
See my review of the other edition.
Davalynn Spencer
Jun 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Tamera Alexander weaves a story of pain and promise and passion that ties in all the threads - even the title. This is a book I'll read again. And again.
Kim Hampton
Jul 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The characters and events in this book held me captive from the first page. The surprise ending was icing on the cake! I look forward to reading more of this author's work.
Maria Thomas
Sep 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian-lit, clean
I like to read a few reviews for books and tend to look for the negative ones to see what they complain about. I found I didn't agree with the reviewers that stated their negatives. I thought this was well written and an interesting story. Sometimes as new characters are introduced into a book I can predict exactly what will happen. But this book surprised me on some things. Early on I expected a love triangle and there wasn't one. Whew! Some other things are predictable to give everyone a happy ...more
Tamara Tilley
Apr 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, tamera-alexander
I couldn’t wait to pick up FROM A DISTANCE and fall in love with another book by Tamera Alexander. That is why I was so surprised when I found the beginning dragging. I felt the story got off to a slow start. All the key ingredients were there but somehow it didn’t grab me. I was determined to hang on because of my love of Alexander’s previous series . . . and I’m glad I did. Though it took about seventy pages before I felt the momentum building, the rest of the book was a pure delight.

As we
Eric Wright
Jun 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
In this, what seemed to be the start of Alexander's Timber Ridge series, she gives us several strong characters set against the Rocky Mountains in Colorado Territory around 1875. The leader character is Elizabeth Garrett Westbrook, erstwhile correspondent and photographer for a Washington paper. In her early 30's she has travelled to captives pictures of the legendary country and the cliff dwellings she's heard of. Her goal is the become a permanent reporter for the paper. Her father a Union ...more
I enjoy stories featuring complex characters who grow and mature throughout the telling of their story. Finding your worth in God and the redemption that can only be found in Him are the wonderful takeaways from this book. I enjoyed the rich historical details, the dual povs, and the well developed characters. The platonic relationships between the characters in this book were a nice detail as well.

However, I had a really hard time getting into this story. It took until almost the 40% mark for
Margaret Chind
Dec 11, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Lovers of Historical Romance (US West)
Recommended to Margaret by: Jim Hart
This is more than a novel, a journey into two peoples lives that brings you to the edge of their experiences and beliefs and makes you focus on your own as well. I had a hard time through the first part of the novel, because I was unsure if I really liked the personality of the main character Elizabeth Westbrook. Yet as the story continued, and I was able to really look more on who she was and who she might be becoming I found that I really did like her.

The humor through out the entire book is
Feb 02, 2010 rated it really liked it
I read some of Alexander's books a few months ago and thought they were ok. I was really surprised with this one. I really like historical romances and this book was really good. I was hooked- I loved the suspense of how the male and the female characters would discover the love they held for each other. Their lives intersected in the past by extreme circumstances- it was fun piecing the puzzle together as the book moved along. It also had a spiritual theme- our experiences truly make us who we ...more
Abra
Nov 16, 2016 rated it liked it
Elizabeth Johnson
Jul 02, 2013 rated it liked it
I'll give it 3.5 stars. I did go on to read the second book, which I liked a lot more, and plan to finish the series. The heroines of the Timber Ridge Reflections books are all women of faith who come out west, but they have some problem or sin or area of improvement that stands in the way of their progress.

The heroine was not likeable, as her problem was that she was deceitful and self-serving. And a bit of a feminist, which is not a sin, but which I am wary of. She does come a long way toward
Wanda
Oct 16, 2012 rated it liked it
The landscaping and setting of the Colorado Territory really comes alive with the vivid description in the story set in the post civil war era. The beginning of the book gets off to a slow start, but I kept thinking it has to get better because it's a Tamera Alexander book. The Heroine, Elizabeth, was not very likeable. I found her to be very self centered, rude, and quite deceptive. Of course, by the end of the book she is a totally changed character and becomes very likeable. Josiah, was a ...more
Annie
Nov 13, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Did not finish. The writing was fine, but like other reviewers, I couldn't connect or really like the main character. I was 100 pages into the book when I decided that if it isn't grabbing me by now, I might as well pick something else on my very long to read list.
Allison
I was surprised I enjoyed this so much, since it was a Kindle freebie. But I enjoyed the Old West setting, and the historical details about photography and medical practices brought the quality up a notch from the usual Christian historical romance.
Presleigh-Anne Johnson
Just finished this book and absolutely loved it!! It is my favorite Tamera Alexander and one of my favorite books!! I love how Elizabeth is a Photographer!! The story was incredible as was the mystery element!! A perfect book!! Thanks to Tamera Alexander for another great read!!
Grace
This was my first book to read by Tamera Alexander but will not be my last. I loved the way her characters came to life. I experienced every moment of their sadness, happiness, love, passion and fear with them.

Now I will be the second book in this series.
Translation into Spanish, why not? 1 3 Dec 17, 2015 09:03AM
Christian Fiction...: ❀Abbi and Caitlyn❀ From a Distance by Tamera Alexander 24 20 Dec 17, 2012 04:25AM

• Head in the Clouds
  • The Frontiersman's Daughter
  • Courting Morrow Little
  • Love's Reckoning (The Ballantyne Legacy, #1)
  • The Measure of a Lady
  • A Tailor-Made Bride
  • The Colonel's Lady
  • Short-Straw Bride (Archer Brothers, #1)
  • The Doctor's Lady
  • A Worthy Pursuit (A Worthy Pursuit, #1)
  • The Mistress of Tall Acre
  • To Win Her Heart
  • A Bride in the Bargain
  • Forever Safe (Beacons of Hope, #4)
  • Captured by Love (Michigan Brides, #3)
  • Stealing the Preacher (Archer Brothers, #2)
  • A Cowboy Unmatched  (Archer Brothers, #2.5)
  • A Bride Most Begrudging
Tamera Alexander is a USA Today bestselling author and one of today's most popular writers in the inspirational historical fiction genre. She and her husband live in Nashville, Tennessee, not far from the Southern mansions that serve as the backdrop for six of her award-winning novels.

Timber Ridge Reflections (3 books)
  • Beyond This Moment (Timber Ridge Reflections, #2)
  • Within My Heart (Timber Ridge Reflections, #3)
“That was a mite tacky, ma'am ... even for you."
Elizabeth let her mouth fall open. "Even for me? What's that supposed to mean?"
"It just means that people with" --He stared pointedly-- "your upbringing aren't usually the most polite folks around." ...
"Listen Ranslett, if I've offended you I certainly didn't mean t--"
"Sure you did. You just meant to do it in a way that would make yourself look bad." He turned to look at her more fully, and his eyes narrowed, though not in malice.
“When you’ve got something to say that isn’t kind, Miss Westbrook, there’s no way to couch it so that it is. Or to hide from how it makes you look when you do. That’s something us good ol’ Southern boys learn real quick about women.”
His accent thickened, comically so. “Your gender may say things with a smile, all soft and gentle-like, but some of you --- granted, not all --- have a dagger hidden in your skirts. Us country boys may not be as quick as some, ma’am, but it doesn’t take us too long to figure out who those woman are.” He winked at her. “We just check each other’s backs for the bloodstains.” He stood and reached behind him as though feeling for something. “Yep, feelin’ a little sticky back there.”
9 likes