Start by marking “The Revolt of Mamie Stover” as Want to Read:
The Revolt of Mamie Stover

The Revolt of Mamie Stover

This is what happened to Mamie Stover, a six-foot tall girl from Mississippi, with a shock of yellow hair and a determination to get rich and respectable. She won a beauty contest, got tossed out of Hollywood and landed in Honolulu, where with the assistance of a war and the U.S. Army she made her pile -- and an indelible impression on thousands of American fighting men.

He
S959
Published August 8th 1959 by Signet/New American Library

To ask other readers questions about The Revolt of Mamie Stover, please sign up.
Wesley I'm over halfway through it now. It's a very good book. It's not explicit yet I don't feel it would work in grade 11. You could certainly read it now …moreI'm over halfway through it now. It's a very good book. It's not explicit yet I don't feel it would work in grade 11. You could certainly read it now but you should probably find another title to study. In the future, if you are considering a career in English or journalism, this book, along with others of Huie's would be an excellent choice for a paper in college. (less)

Start your review of The Revolt of Mamie Stover
Betty
Jun 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ga-hi-id-il-in
My father was a boy during the great depression. When he was 14, he was turned out of the house and sent to make his own way in the world because his stepmother said there wasn't enough money to feed her own younger children and him. This was in Columbus Georgia. He joined up with a group of boys who learned all the wealthy people in town and who would give money and as a group they begged. When he turned 17, he joined FDR's CC Camps. Then, he joined the army at Fort Benning.

In late 1941, his pl
Alohatiki
Feb 24, 2013 rated it liked it
My husband came home from a yard sale one day with a bunch of old paperbacks for me which included the Revolt of Mamie Stover. At first glance I just thought it was some pulpy novel since by looking at the cover nothing would suggest that this is set in Hawaii. The cover just had some busty blond looking really pissed off, I assumed since she had to "service" 51,840 soldiers.

The fictional author, Madison, meets Mamie on board a freight to Honolulu. He finds out she is from a small southern town
Eric
Jan 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
My Pappy gave me this book. He's a Pearl Harbor survivor and he recognizes this story as an accurate representation of the way things were as he experienced them in Hawaii. I really enjoyed the writing and learning more about a world rarely discussed in polite society. The greater questions concerning societal hierarchy that the author raises gradually snuck up on me and added even more value to Mamie Stover's story. There's also quite a bit of inspiration here for the taking for those that take ...more
Carolanne
May 21, 2013
Elena
Jul 10, 2013

• The Handmaid's Tale: The Graphic Novel
  • Defy Me (Shatter Me, #5)