Start by marking “The Fade Out: Act One” as Want to Read:
The Fade Out: Act One

The Fade Out: Act One

(The Fade Out #1)

Brubaker and Phillips' newest hit series, The Fade Out, is an epic noir set in the world of noir itself, the backlots and bars of Hollywood at the end of its Golden Era. A movie stuck in endless reshoots, a writer damaged from the war and lost in the bottle, a dead movie star and the lookalike hired to replace her. Nothing is what it seems in the place where only lies are ...more
Published February 25th 2015 by Image Comics

To ask other readers questions about The Fade Out, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fade Out

Jesse (JesseTheReader)
For the most part I really enjoyed this! It was dark, intriguing, and mysterious. All things that I love in a story. I just found this story to be a bit busy and I almost wonder if that was the creator's way of distracting you from solving the mystery at hand. I loved the old hollywood setting, but the illustrations didn't really wow me. I do think I'll probably check out the next volume, because I'd like to know what happens next, I'm just not entirely sold on this series just yet.
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
Mar 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Shelby *trains flying monkeys* by: Gavin
Enter into Old Hollywood.

Charlie wakes up after a wild party and realizes he is in the room with a dead girl. He covers up the murder and then learns that the starlet has commited "so-called" suicide. What the heck is going on?

I think Brubaker and Phillips might just be my favorite team in comic/graphic novels. The story is original and fulfilled my old Hollywood fantasy.

I love that real movie stars were used in this story. They got one star awarded for this guy alone. Because..AWESOME.
Kemper
Jun 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
In post-war Los Angeles a screenwriter wakes up from a blackout drunk to find an actress that was starring in the movie he was working on has been murdered in the next room. Afraid of police scrutiny he flees the scene only to be shocked later when he learns that the movie studio has covered up the crime by making it appear to be a suicide. The writer tries to push aside his guilt and move on with helping to get the picture completed with a replacement actress, but his interactions with a variet ...more
Samantha
Apr 02, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels
The Fade Out is the first installment in a graphic novels series set in the Film Noir era, revolving around the murder of an up and coming film star. I was originally interested in it because, who doesn't love film noir, and because I'd never read a graphic novel set in the real world instead of a fantasy setting. Unfortunately, I found this volume pretty disappointing.

The art very much fits the film noir aesthetic, but that was the only positive to me. There is a plethora of mostly white, male
Jan Philipzig
While rereading this first volume, I was surprised how well I remembered its language: not necessarily all the plot details, but Phillips' stylish depictions of post-WWII Hollywood and Brubaker's polished writing - especially Brubaker's polished writing. Whole sentences, in fact. You see, my memory usually isn't the best, so for this to happen the wording itself must have left quite an impression, much more so than I had been aware. And that probably is no coincidence. After my second reading of ...more
Jeff
Jun 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comix
Hooray for Hollywood!
That phoney, super coney Hollywood
They come from Chillicothes and Padukahs
With their bazookas (Huh? Is that a euphemism or did they have trouble coming up with a rhyme for Padukahs) to get their names up in lights.

Nothing like a tale about the steamy, seamy underbelly of the entertainment industry to meet one’s noir needs.

Brubaker and Phillips take a page from James Ellroy (I just read The Big Nowhere so that one comes to mind immediately) and examine the dregs of Tinseltow
HFK
Mar 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: paiddusty, graphics
I am not sure if there is a better mix than old Hollywood and noir, especially when said mix respects its own time period without modernizing it to be suitable to our current values, morals, views and ideologies.

The Fade Out keeps its appearance to the darker side of Hollywood, the ugly side that was very much true and well reported, which shows how much research Mr. Brubaker has put into his work, as he should. Many things within this first volume aren't compatible to us modern people, but tha
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
There is something to be said about an author who manages to make a basic noir plot set in post-WWII Hollywood exciting. The genre has become so formulaic over the years it's pretty much become a cliché in itself: sex, drugs, scandal, murder, blah blah blah. Enter Ed Brubaker. I think I'm a little in love. I wouldn't say he did to the noir genre what he did to James Bond in Velvet (where clichés were appropriately shaken *and* stirred) but he came pretty close.

Granted, the story has an unorigina
Sam Quixote
Feb 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: best-comics-2015
Hollywoodland, 1948, the tail end of the Golden Era of Film. Charlie Parish is a screenwriter for Victory Street Pictures, one of the largest studios in Los Angeles, who, after a wild party, wakes up near the corpse of his latest film’s starlet, Valeria Sommers. She’d been strangled and left on the floor, just feet away from a passed out Charlie! Besides a police investigation, the death of the leading lady means expensive reshoots for the studio and rewriting for Charlie.

But then later he sees
Chad
Nov 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
No one does comic book noir like Brubaker and Phillips. Another riveting read from Ed Brubaker.
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
Mar 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2015
Los Angeles 1948. Charlie Parish wakes up after a wild party in an actress apartment. The problem is that the actress is lying in the apartment murdered. Charlie sneaks away from the apartment and is later stunned when he finds out that the murder has been covered up as a suicide. Now is he plagued by guilt that he didn't report it and he also knows that there is a murderer out there...

A really good story that actually captured my interest more than I thought it would. I was a bit surprised how
Dave
Jul 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Fade Out is everything you could want from a noir-inspired graphic novel. It's set in the late forties in Hollywood in brilliant artwork and is filled with pulpy themes like the lead character, the screenwriter, waking up after a party knocked out drunk with a beautiful corpse just feet away from him. Pretending he knew nothing about it. Hollywood is filled with glamour here, but the producers are all hands on with the willing female talent, the stars rampage drunkenly through town, and the ...more
Cheese
Apr 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars!

This was brilliant, Brubaker is fast becoming my favourite writer and Sean Philips is definitely my favourite artist. I would like to give this five stars just for the artwork, it's sublime and fits the time piece and story perfectly. It was like walking on the set of that old film 'Sunset boulevard'. I loved that film and this is very similar. It's about movie stars, writers, directors, producers, ego's, womanising, secrets, blackmail, homicide and mystery.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

An actress is killed and s
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
One word for this graphic novel. Atmosphere. I definitely felt like I was in the late 1940s Hollywood. But the real Hollywood, not the glamorous, shining synthetic world that so many people in the industry tried to project. The point of view is from a screenwriter deeply immersed in the studio system who was emotionally broken by his war experiences. He wakes up in a bedroom and finds the body of the starlet in the next room. The star of the movie he's been working on. The list of suspects is lo ...more
David Schaafsma
Feb 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Criminal, Fatale, Incognito. . . if you liked as I have any of these Brubaker-Phillips collaborations you will be happy to hear there is more of the same in process. This one isn't a mashup with horror or anything else, as far as I can tell so far. It's pretty straight noir, seems like, set in 1948 Hollywood, and is nasty and darker than we have known of the Golden Age, post war, pre-McCarthy blacklisting period. Women are grist for the Hollywood mill, we see clearly, as our (sort of?) hero (let ...more
Anthony
Jan 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: image
After Fatale, it almost seems weird to read a Brubaker and Phillips comic without blood and gore on every other page (not that Fatale ever over did it). But there's just as much sex and character paranoia and downfall as their other books. It's set in 1940s Hollywood, which is the creative teams favourite period and why most of their work has a very noiry feel to it.

I'll be honest, it's a comic I probably wouldn't read if not for the creative team. It's a lot of men in suits talking and smoking
Josh
Nov 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
It was always little things that unlocked the blackout doors. Details... the lipstick makes him remember a smile. The smile leads to a voice...then a face. And that's how Charlie realized whose house he'd woken up in...right before he found her lying dead on the living room floor.

Bars, blackouts, limelight and lowlifes. The Fade Out is A-grade noir set in the Hollywood's golden era of film, where stars shone their brightest and studio cover-ups were commonplace - it was a time where murder was m
Crystal Starr Light
Sep 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Bullet Review:

She likes it! She really likes it!

I did! It was dark and gritty, mysterious and adult. It's almost like that horrible movie, "Black Dahlia", only well done.

I didn't care for Charlie but I almost never like the male protagonist wash-out. No, what I loved was the atmosphere, the golden shiny exterior of Golden Age Hollywood and revealing the dirty bits inside, the nuanced characters, the smell of fear and filth and sleaze and drugs and sex and smoke and booze.

I don't typically LIKE t
Tom Mathews
Nov 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: lovers of good graphic novels.
Hollywood! Casting couches, blacklisted screenwriters, glitzy stars, murder and corruption. What more can you ask for?

But damn it! It's the first part of, what, a trilogy? I'm an American. I hate waiting. Oh well, suck it up, Tom. while you wait you can work on an "Anything that's worth having is worth waiting for" needlepoint.
Alice Lippart
Love the art and the noir setting, but would've loved a bit more of the actual story.
Matthew
I had no clue what I was getting myself into when reading this graphic novel and now that I have finished reading it I can say that this series is spell-binding, suspenseful, and provides the dark side of old glamour Hollywood! I will definitely be reading the rest of the series and I highly recommend to pick this up and invest a few hours of pure entertainment.

1948
Hollywood, California

The Fade Out
introduces us to a man named Charlie Parish who is slowly waking up from his hangover and he is tr
Nicole
May 17, 2015 rated it liked it
The art, oh, the art in this graphic novel, it deserves its own glowing review! It's fitting the era and it sets the atmosphere just about right. Some frames are especially breathtaking and I spent quite a bit of time just observing the details.
The story though is kept in the frame of noir genre, and while it's not a crime per se, I feel like it fits too comfortably there. Fade out doesn't stray much from stereotypical plots and due to the lack of risky elements doesn't offer an interesting angl
Martin
Mar 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
There is really only one thing wrong with this book: it's too short!

Frequent collaborators Ed Brubaker and Sean Phillips have already brought us The Sleeper Omnibus, Criminal: The Deluxe Edition, Vol. 1 & Criminal: The Deluxe Edition, Vol. 2, Incognito: The Classified Edition, as well as Fatale, Vol. 1: Death Chases Me and its four (so far) subsequent volumes. As far as crime comics go (arguably, even crime fiction), these are top-notch books.

Don't be surprised when I tell you that this firs
Jasmin
Feb 25, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jasmin by: the gift
Shelves: graphic-novel
...SOMETHING IN THE AIR MADE IT EASIER TO BELIEVE LIES.

This is my first graphic novel and YESSSS it wont be my last LOL! It was a weird ending though, but I'm looking forward to finishing it. I really am anxious to know what happens next.
Jeannette Nikolova
Jan 21, 2018 rated it it was ok
Also available on the WondrousBooks blog.

For some reason, I had completely different expectations about this book and I thought I was going to be reading a supernatural noir, instead of just a regular one.

The Fade Out, much to my disappointment, was a rather ordinary crime novel set in the late 40's in Hollywood. I say disappointing, because this volume had every single characteristic of every other noir novel: a troubled main guy, who is unwillingly dragged into a murder investigation and has
Suvi
Anyone who browses my GR shelves won't fail to notice my love of classic cinema. The 250 Quintessential Noir Films -list in iCheckMovies is currently my life blood, so obviously I shrieked from joy when a blogger I follow recommended a film noir-inspired comic (she was actually used as a model for one of the characters, which is pretty neat). When the protagonist wakes up in a bath tub after a hard night of partying and finds a dead starlet in the living room, there's no doubt that you're in for ...more
Patrick
Mar 09, 2015 rated it liked it
Charlie wakes up from a black out drunk night in a tub, in a house that isn’t his. Means he must have had a great time right? Nope, not so much. Because there happens to be body of a murdered actress in the adjoining room.

Unsure of what to do, and knowing that this would reflect poorly on him, Charlie decides to do the honorable thing… or not. He erases all evidence that he was there, leaving the body for someone else to find.

When he does eventually hear news about her death, it has been ruled
Skye Kilaen
Reading this noir comics series is like driving an expensive car. Everything is so well-crafted that it takes your breath away, if you're a car person... and apparently I am a noir person, because DAMN. The Fade Out is about the murder of a starlet in post-war Hollywood, where there's so much money, corruption, and violence against women that justice seems unlikely. The story is told with all the conflicts, hints, clues, unknown loyalties, and suspense that you need for a crime story to suck you ...more
Taylor Knight
Mar 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is such an interesting graphic novel. I've never read a graphic novel that wasn't sci-fi or superheros so this was a really different for me.

I thought the noir concept was great. It was really awesome and the whole who-did-it crime reminded of Clue.

I love the cover so much. I wish I could get a big poster of it and hang it on my wall. The artwork though out the whole novel is really cool as well.

I'm pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed this graphic novel.
Skip
Sep 07, 2015 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Skip by: Kemper
Shelves: graphic-novels
The Fade Out has a great setting in the hey days of Hollywood. Screenwriter Charlie Parish wakes up from a drunken stupor next to a dead actress. With no recollection of his actions, he flees the scene only to learn that the studio has fixed it to make it look like a suicide to avoid scrutiny. Unfortunately, there were too many characters, despite a two page summary with illustrations, and I found the story slow, wandering, and too dark and bloody.
  • Stumptown, Vol. 2: The Case of the Baby in the Velvet Case
  • Huck, Book 1: All-American
  • The Manhattan Projects, Vol. 5: The Cold War
  • Limbo
  • MIND MGMT, Volume Three: The Home Maker
  • Lady Killer, Vol. 2 (Lady Killer, #2)
  • C.O.W.L. Volume 1: Principles of Power
Ed Brubaker (born November 17, 1966) is an Eisner Award-winning American cartoonist and writer. He was born at the National Naval Medical Center, Bethesda, Maryland.

Brubaker is best known for his work as a comic book writer on such titles as Batman, Daredevil, Captain America, Iron Fist, Catwoman, Gotham Central and Uncanny X-Men. In more recent years, he has focused solely on creator-owned titles

The Fade Out (3 books)