Start by marking “Shutter, Vol. 1: Wanderlost” as Want to Read:
Shutter, Vol. 1: Wanderlost

Shutter, Vol. 1: Wanderlost

(Shutter #1-6)

INDIANA JONES FOR THE 21st CENTURY! Marvel Knights: Hulk and Glory writer Joe Keatinge teams up with artist extraordinaire Leila del Duca for her Image Comics debut in an all-new ongoing series combining the urban fantasy of Fables and the globe-spanning adventure of Y: The Last Man. Kate Kristopher, once the most famous explorer of an Earth far more fantastic than the one ...more
Published March 19th 2014 by Image Comics

To ask other readers questions about Shutter, Vol. 1, please sign up.
Joe Keatinge Shutter, Volume 2: Way of the World will be out July 2015.

Sean Gibson
Aug 23, 2016 rated it liked it
If you’re going to name drop Fables (my favorite comic series of all time) and Indiana Jones (easily one of my top 10 favorite guys who wears a fedora and wields a whip…he probably checks in around #8) when you describe what your series is like, you’re creating impossibly high expectations right out of the gate, meaning that odds are good you’re going to under deliver (I used to do a similarly stupid thing in my dating days when I guaranteed my dates that the evening “wouldn’t suck as much as a ...more
Jan Philipzig
Definitely the noisy, outrageous kind of story: lots of explosions and mayhem - that sort of thing. Not to mention the talking cat/clock hybrid, the gorilla doctor, the skeleton butler, the ghost siblings, dinosaurs, minotaurs, you name it. It all feels a little random and silly, but I guess that's the idea: none of that anal museum stuff, this one's supposed to blow you away! So does it get the job done? Well, I'm afraid I'm still standing - let's just say I appreciated the rascally humor under ...more
Sam Quixote
Nov 10, 2014 rated it it was ok
I suppose it had to happen - with the success of Saga, imitators have begun popping up, with Joe Keatinge and Leila del Duca’s Shutter being one such example.

A magical world where giant eagles and dragons, minotaurs and kids with horns, flying cars and saucer police, Scotch lions and gorilla doctors, dinosaurs and a talking platypus, are all de rigeur; a strong female character and a child, together with a talking cat sidekick, on the run from forces who want them caught, including a male and f
Miriam
Dec 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adventure, graphic
Ridiculously misleading title -- the fact that the main character has a job as a photographer is alluded to in one line and we never see her taking pictures, nor is there anything photo-frame about the illustration style.

Otherwise this is a fun, imaginative, slightly gory story about a woman whose family has a tradition of adventuring and some dangerous secrets.

The 4th star is earned purely by the artwork.
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
Kate Kristopher was once a famous explorer on Earth, well on an Earth a little more special and the one we know. But suddenly one day she is attacked and now she must once again return to her adventurous life…

I liked this other Earth, with all its different kinds of species. I had some trouble getting into the story and when I finally did it was not many pages left. Unfortunately, the art was a bit so-so, it would have been a bit nicer to read if it had been a bit more evenly drawn but now and t
Gavin
Feb 10, 2015 rated it liked it
description

OK, so I agree with those who say this is trying to ride the wave of Saga (Sam) and I can see where that comes from.

The art is colourful, the story moves forward at a breakneck pace, and we're introduced to all sorts of crazy characters...

Kate is an appealing enough leading lady, but other than the fact that she's been in a rut for 10 yrs following the untimely death of her father, there's not much we know about her.

Turns out, she's got a bunch of siblings she never knew about, and we only hear
Christopher
Oh my goodness, I mean, man...

Look, you can do complicated plots. You can do vague plots. You can do complicated backstories that impact the current plot. You can do vague backstories. You can do complicated worlds. You can do wacky worlds. You can introduce fantasy elements into an otherwise normal urban setting. You can introduce 20 different animal races. You can have multiple plots going at once. You can do all of those things.

But if you plan to do all of those things at once in the openin
Steve
I'm not entirely sure what this book was about, and that makes it hard to rate. An archaeologist who isn't one any longer is all of a sudden the target of assassins. Or something. No explanation and incomplete flashbacks/back story leave this reader lost, and no real reason to look for the next volume.
'kris Pung
Nov 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this although I'm not sure what the heck is happening story wise. That said I liked the fantasy world Keatinge is building so I will be on the look out for the 2nd volume.

**thanks Netgalley for an advanced copy**
GrilledCheeseSamurai
Aug 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, image
What?

I...

What?

So there's this robot cat clock...

So there are these Ninja ghosts and some lion gangsters...

Okay. This lady called Kate is making her way in the world. The world is like ours...only there are talking animals...and...things in it that we don't have in our world.

That's not right either.

Truth?

I have no fucking clue what I just read. I do know that it had a skeleton butler in it. Some kind of steampunk robot, there was a Minotaur riding the bus with our main character at one poin
Jeannette Nikolova
Mar 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Also available on the WondrousBooks blog.

*** 3.5 stars ***

I previously reviewed the first issue of Shutter, and I stand by my prediction that this book has a lot of potential.

Shutter is a nostalgic journey back into the stories of our childhoods: Indiana Jones, The Mummy - adventurers, unknown lands, suave villains. With one exception. Shutter is not limited to our small planet.

The main character of the book, Kate, is a retired explorer who is trying to lead a normal life, but even if she's no
Erica
I encountered a dichotomy while reading this: I really liked the story but I didn't really like the writing.
How is that even possible?
Who knows, but, apparently, it is.

The story: A former Lara Croft type, Kate Kristopher, now living with her childhood BFF, Alain the cool-haired scientist, works as a real estate photographer. She gets by. The girls go drinking. Things are fine. Perfect. Whatever. She has a Felix-the-Cat-like alarm cat -- honestly, those need to get on the market ASAP because I'm
Imane
Aug 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Well, this is promising! I can't wait to pick up the second volume! + Love the art!
Jes Reads
Feb 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shutter follows our main character Kate who was once a would-be explorer but when her father dies she decides to give up that life. Until one day when she's visiting her father's grave and she's attacked by supernatural beings. Oh, did I forget to mention that she lives in an alternate universe where Aliens, Ghosts, A.I., etc live? That was at first my most favorite part of this entire comic. Alternate New York? Heck yes.

After being attacked, and kidnapped, by these beings she begins to uncover
Maddie
Jul 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: july-2018
Well this was a weird one
Sanaa
Jan 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
[4 Stars] I wasn't quite sure what to rate this because I have pretty mixed feelings. Things I loved: the action packed plot, the crazy stuff going on, the adventure, the entire premise, and the ARTWORK. Oh my goodness the artwork is glorious. Things I had issues with: the plot was pretty meandering, too much going on at once, and there wasn't enough about the characters to make me fall in love with them. All that being said, this was a really fun and entertaining read which is why it falls clos ...more
Dan
Aug 09, 2015 rated it liked it
Really strong start. It seemed fun but then went south when it started to get weird and do that let's tease you and not really reveal too much because we want you to read another volume....yea not gonna happen. I really didn't find the plot reveal all that interesting. Sorry but I see this as being one of those that will lead you on forever.
Taylor Ramirez
Roy
Apr 17, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5*
This is a weird mash of scifi fantasy adventure but starts off a little confusing. It slowly develops a good story that doesnt take itself too seriously. Feels like it knows its being wacky and over the top. Will give Vol 2 a go.
Bram Ryckaert
Jun 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shutter... Yeah this book is the real deal. The gorgeous art alone is a selling point, but it has the story and characters to back it up as well. What I like most is how the book has a light-hearted Indiana Jones-type tone at one point, but it can suddenly shift and go some dark and disturbing places. Case in point, one of the best side characters, bounty hunter Shaw (view spoiler) ...more
Stewart Tame
Jan 23, 2016 rated it liked it
This was a lovely little romp. So we have a weird version of Earth that contains both fantasy and SF elements, and it's inhabited by all sorts of aliens and robots and anthropomorphic beings in infinite variety. And seemingly normal humans too, of course. The idea is not a new one--precedents include Cynosure from John Ostrander and Tim Truman's old series, Grimjack, as well as Bugtown, from Matt Howarth's Those Annoying Post Brothers, to name a few--but it's done well enough to feel fresh and n ...more
Lindsay
May 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Oh man, that was so bonkers. There was so much (too much?) going on--dragons, dinosaurs, skeleton butlers, what looked like Tik Tok from Return to Oz. It even had anthropomorphic animals. And I didn't even care. I just liked it more and more with each page. A sad lion buying an Aimee Mann record? I think that was the clincher.
Sara J. (kefuwa)
Apr 08, 2015 rated it liked it
Recommended to Sara J. by: Humble Image Comics Bundle 2: Image Firsts
Shelves: graphic-novels
Hmmm... this was more of a 2.5 than a 3... was interesting enough but even after 5 issues I am still a bit in the dark about the whole point of this. Seems like it *could* be more interesting... but doesn't compel me to purchase the follow up...
First Second Books
This science fiction adventure filled with girl power was a lot of fun -- and the art by Leila del Duca is marvelous! I love how she depicts all the surprise crazy fantasy beings throughout this world.

I'm definitely reading volume two!
The Sapphic Nerd
Jul 16, 2017 rated it liked it
On paper "Shutter" has a lot of cool stuff going for it: action/adventure, mystery, a female protagonist, characters/references to polar culture... But somehow, the execution is just okay. Sure, it sounds unique and exciting. It just doesn't make it all the way there. I wanted to be interested. I wanted to care about the characters. It didn't happen. Maybe it'll get better later, but do I want to spend $15 on something I'm not sure of? Nah.
Mixofsunandcloud
Jun 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
A serious story set in a very silly world. It's fun, but incongruous, in a way that can be jarring. It is hard to suspend disbelief and be immersed when (view spoiler)
Ashly Lynn
Jul 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Sci-Fi readers. Comic lovers.
Recommended to Ashly by: Originally saw at Library, finally read on ComiXology.
Synopsis
Kate is one of the best adventurer’s on the planet, or perhaps in the galaxy, but she has retired that life for a more quiet one as a photographer. She lives in the big city and works to support herself. After her father died, she took up her own life path, but what did he fail to tell her when he was alive? Or, did he ever really die? Could he be out there alive somewhere? Now that his old secrets are coming back to haunt her…and hunt her, what will Kate find out about her past? Did s
Ma'Belle
Every page of this book was mesmerizing and fun, omg! It really was the most enjoyable comic I've seen in a long time.

Some of the things included:

-Cute Talking Animal Assassins!

-Irish Lion Criminals who sometimes decide to go shopping for rare Aimee Mann records in the middle of dangerous missions!

-Snarky Felix the Cat alarm clock robot assistant!

-Tic-Toc the Clockwork Army robot from Return to Oz!

-References to Scooby Doo and probably lots of other classic adventurer/sleuth franchises!

-Fuckword
Nancy Meservier
Nov 08, 2014 rated it liked it
Shutter is a new series from Image comics. Kate Kristopher once traveled the world and went on adventures with her father, which later inspired a series of bestselling books. But now she's an adult, her father has died, and her adventures are behind her. That is until she finds out that her family history is more complicated than she first suspected.

Shutter has a lot of good things going for it, the most obvious being the incredibly vibrant artwork by Leila del Duca. Joe Keatinge has crafted a w
Meagan
I'm not entirely sure what I just read. But I didn't hate it.

Here's what I think is going on: the main character, Kate, lives with her transgender best friend and a living clock cat. She lives in a world where there are animal people and robots and ghosts and curses. She's the daughter of a famous adventurer, but she doesn't do the adventure thing anymore. And there's some sort of secret in her family tree that's putting her life at risk. It's kind of a chaotic read, because even after reading t
She-Geeks: June 2015 Read: Shutter, Vol 1 6 35 Apr 10, 2016 12:10PM
  • Ghosted, Vol. 3: Death Wish (Ghosted, #3)
  • They're Not Like Us, Vol. 1: Black Holes for the Young
  • Genius, Vol. 1
  • The Woods, Vol. 2: The Swarm
  • Red Sonja, Vol. 2: The Art of Blood and Fire
  • Solo
  • Lady Killer, Vol. 2 (Lady Killer, #2)
  • Alex + Ada, Vol. 2
  • C.O.W.L. Volume 1: Principles of Power
  • Wonder Woman, Volume 5: Flesh
  • Letter 44, Volume 2: Redshift
  • The Fade Out #1
  • Lady Mechanika: La Dama de la Muerte
  • Smut Peddler: 2014 Edition
Likes Wu Tang Clan.

Shutter (1 - 10 of 30 books)
  • Shutter #1