Start by marking “Saga, Vol. 4” as Want to Read:
Saga, Vol. 4

Saga, Vol. 4

(Saga (Collected Editions) #4)

4.46  ·  Rating details ·  56,997 ratings  ·  4,302 reviews
Saga is the sweeping tale of one young family fighting to find their place in the universe. As they visit a strange new world and encounter even more adversaries, baby Hazel finally becomes a toddler, while her star-crossed parents Marko and Alana struggle to stay on their feet.

Collecting: Saga 19-24
Paperback, Trade, 152 pages
Published December 17th 2014 by Image Comics

·  56,997 ratings  ·  4,302 reviews

Start your review of Saga, Vol. 4
Patrick
Jul 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Goddamn. This series. It's so good. It has such a density of narrative. Such quality of story.

There was a series of four panels that made me burst immediately into tears. Vaughan. What the hell man. How do you keep doing this to me?

Raeleen Lemay
Sep 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, graphicomanga
I WISH THESE COULD BE LIKE A THOUSAND PAGES LONG
Zoë
Jan 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
My favorite volume so far! The art? Stunning. The plot? A+.
Despite it being one of the shorter volumes, so much happened. I think part of the reason this was so successful was the time jump. The past three volumes have all occurred back to back, and there wasn't much time for new obstacles to pop up. Volume 4 has a new villain who actually frightens me as well as new strain on Alana and Marko's relationship. Not to mention Sophie has grown up into a fierce little girl.
Now, I'm not su
Anne
May 25, 2015 rated it really liked it

WARNING: Potential Spoilers Ahead!

description

You can really see how this family is going through the growing pains in this one. And, once again, Vaughn and Staples create a fantasy world that is so incredibly not fantasy.
This volume? This is a real marriage.
Can we please fight about it in the morning?

WARNING: Potential Spoilers Ahead!

description

This volume? This is a real marriage.
Can we please fight about it in the morning?

description

Ok, so now that they aren't running for their lives, the mundane existence of taking care of a family sets in...as it does with a lot of marriages.
Alana is working full-time as an actress on this space soap opera, and Marko is staying home with Hazel.
First comes love, then comes marriage, then comes a baby in the baby carriage...
But they don't tell you what happens after that, do they?

description

Yep. You aren't really married till you've practiced your alibi in the mirror, at least once. Now, at some point, you'll both laugh about how you ran into each other at Home Depot, looked into each other's shopping carts, and saw that you were both buying tarp and duct tape.
But till then, you'll go through that rough period known as:
Those Couple Of Years We Gutted It Out For The Kids.

description

But when you haven't been married long, and the memories of your glory days are still bright and shiny? Well, those first few knock-down drag-out fights can seem like the end of the world.
description

You're also not married till one of you spends the night somewhere else...or at least storms off with the intention of spending the night somewhere else!
Most of the time you just *cough* drive around all angry-like, taking out your frustration by singing off-key to break-up music, and giving the finger to incompetent drivers. Eventually, you end up sitting in a parking lot somewhere, as the realization hits that you don't want to spend the night anywhere else. I mean, that's a real hassle when you think about it, right? Wait. Did our song just come on the radio? *sigh* It must be a sign...

And so it goes...
I think Vaughn did a spectacular job of showing how each of them fell off the sparkly marriage wagon just a bit.

Alana starts taking drugs (recreationally) to help her fight the crushing pressure of being the only breadwinner, while working long hours at a soul-sucking job.

description

She misses her family, but if she doesn't make money, they're gonna starve. So, not a lot of choices for her, but to put her head down and keep going.

description

Ahhhhh. That feels much better...

description

That sort of thing usually ends badly, and Alana is no exception to the rule. After a while, it gets easier and easier to just zone out instead of facing her problems. The lines start to blur, and the next thing you know...

description

Meanwhile, Marko becomes the full-time parent. Which, after having done this myself for well over a decade, I think I can speak with some authority when I say, this is the most rewarding job ever.
BUT IT CAN SUCK YOUR WILL TO LIVE.
First, you don't get paid for it. And the first person who comments, and says that you get Paid in hugs!, wins an ASSHOLE award. I'm not sure how your electric company works, but mine does not accept HUGS as a form of payment.
So. NO PAY.
Second, Adult Interaction.<---This is very important.
And a huge problem arises when you get stuck on playdates with ratchety parents that you don't like. The flavors usually taste like Annoying-Helicopter, Complains-About-Spouse, Kill-It-With-Fire-Religious-Nut, Sports-Dad, My-Child-Can't-Do-Anything-Wrong, Organic-Only-Momma, Let-Me-Tell-You-About-My-Pitiful-Sex-Life, and the absolute worse...The-Clinger.<---The Clinger assumes you are now best buddies forever, and won't stop texting, calling, and thinking up new and exciting reasons to come over and intrude on what little private time you have left.
If you don't have a Clinger in your life? Look in the mirror.
You know, just to be sure...
However, every now and then you meet someone you really like.

description

And, more importantly, your kids like each other!

description

In Marko's case, he's feeling alone and abandoned. He misses his wife, who's gone all the time, and when she is home? Well, she's acting kind of distant and odd. He's also worried about how to keep his daughter safe, but still give her a full life. And now he's got this cute mom, who seems to understand exactly how he feels, practically throwing herself at him.

description

And that's only half the story.
The rest includes a Robot father who's become totally unhinged over the death of his child, Gwen & Sophie searching for a way to cure The Will, a Prince on a mission of revenge, a missing baby, and a very unlikely team-up.

description

At first, I thought this one didn't quite measure up to the previous volumes, but the more I considered it, I realized this one was just different. I'm really enjoying watching all of these characters grow and change! I know I'm the eighty-billionth person to say this, but this is a fantastic title!

Get this review and more at:
Federico DN
Aug 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
Life is nothing but a beautiful imperfect gem.

Problems in heaven. Our lovely fugitive couple struggles to secure a livelihood while hiding in some remote charted planet named Gardenia. Marko as a dedicated stay-at-home dad, Alana as a feisty disguised troupe actress. Tension rises, mistakes happen, and someone is bound to pay the price for it.

A nice turn to a bit of emotional family drama, strange, yet moving, and with some little action as well, how can that be missing.
karen
Jul 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
A lot of people who came into my family's life looking like heroes ended up acting more like villains. I wish I could say the opposite was also true, but that was pretty fucking rare.

photo IMG_4477_zpspwljocwa.jpg

see, this is why goodreads is so great - i wasn't in love with this volume until i read anne's excellent review, where she recontextualized the story into real-world situation
Elizabeth
Sep 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The only complaint is that I wanted more Lying Cat, but it is PERFECTION. If you haven't read Saga because "everyone always talks about it, and I want to be the lame hipster who finds fault in pop culture," take a selfie, upload it to Instagram, pick out a complimentary filter, set you iPhone 6+ on your rug from Urban Outfitters, jump over the phone and GET OVER YOURSELF. If you aren't reading Saga you are losing at life.
Saania Zee Jamal ϟ
I'M SWALLOWING THESE BOOKS FASTER THAN ALANA DOES FADEAWAY DRUGS.

description

And I don't know about you, but if that wasn't just some fantastic character development and maturity for Marko right there, then Mama Sun's a saint sent straight from the heavens. Would have loved to see more of the other characters than we did, but boOOoOoOoy oh boy am I still invested in this stor
Lola
Jul 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, adult

Alright, so this took unexpected turns. I’m not disappointed, but I’m not thrilled either. I wish Alana would stop cursing in front of Hazel, because I really hate when people do that in front of their child and I’m really annoyed about her doing what she did to keep her job and this new character Ginny trying to steal the spotlight. Not my favorite volume, but the graphics are still incredible, the characters and plot are still interesting and it’s normal to have dark moments in life, so I’m ju
Maureen
Aug 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
SO GOOD SO GOOD.
Especially in this one, every chapter was a freAKING CLIFFHANGER it made me need to keep reading.
Nat
Mar 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
This review contains *spoilers*.

I loved how close the family was at the beginning. Alana and Marko were so sweet with Hazel.
description

They had this super adorable scene and then this happens
description
That one sentence made me tear up.

I’m s
Kemper
Feb 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: space, 2015, comics, sci-fi, saga, war
Four volumes and I've given each of them 5 stars.

'nuff said.
Sh3lly

Marko and the lady who gave Hazel dancing lessons.... it just felt like inserted drama. I guess it was to tease you because (view spoiler)I didn't like this one as much. Alana was bitchy and Marko was all emo. It was kind of funny how Alana had the job in that virtual reality soap opera. But then, (view spoiler).

Highlights:

- the one Lying Cat scene
- I personally found it hilarious how King Robot looked

Instead of "just" having a TV head, he has a HUGE flat screen TV head. I thought it was funny. Heh.

I don't know. I hope we can get some action adventure sci-fi instead of drama llama next time?

Volume One: ★★★★★
Volume Two: ★★★★★
Voume Three: ★★★
Megan Johnson
Jul 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
You know, I really cant get over how good this series is. I took maybe a month between reading the first 3 and then this one, and I was so excited to get back into the story.

It's simultaneously adorable, creepy, sleazy, and incredible. Each chapter leaves me wanting so much more, and yet is so fulfilling.

If you want to know more about what I think of the series, check out my other reviews. Otherwise, I can't recommend this enough.

WEBSITE | TWITTER | FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
Petrik
Dec 21, 2016 rated it liked it
3.5/5 Stars

Buddy reading this entire series with my favorite Princess Celeste

Took me a while but NOW THIS IS GETTING BETTER! Finally! Imo Volume 4 of Saga is the best so far. It's fast paced, the stories are great (it's finally going somewhere), it's more complex and the drawings and characters development improve much further. If the quality of this volume continue to the rest of the series, I can see why Saga received the acclaim it gets.

Marko, Hazel, Alana have chang
Adam Silvera
Jul 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
LOVE.
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Re-read 4/19/17: Marko is still a stone cold fox tbh

Original read 2015: Absolutely incredible. Also, Marko is a stone cold fox. Damn
Will M.
Oct 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
This fourth installment was not as perfect as the last one, but it was still fucking amazing.

The plot continues to thicken and the characters keep getting better at what they do. While this one started off slow, the pacing improved while nearing the middle. A lot of unexpected things happened plus an annoying cliffhanger in the end. I can't wait to read the next volume to know what's going to happen with (view spoiler) ...more
Steph Sinclair
OMG that ending. How is it possible for this series to be so consistently amazing?! Need volume 4 immediately.
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
First off, I wanted to kill this stupid chic thing. I don't even know her name. I looked all over and thought I was losing my mind not remembering her name. All I can say is she's blue, she tries going after Marko and lets just say that little Hazel said it best in the book Her is ugly I had to get that out so now we can move on :-D Oh yeah, her name is Ginny! Who cares!

So it starts out with Prince tv heads wife has a son while he is off in the twilight zone. <---Read book 3.

Said baby gets stol
Jessica
Feb 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Love where this story is heading!
Lindsey Rey
Sep 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014, graphic-novels
The best volume in the series to date! Exciting, action-packed, great character development, and beautiful artwork as always. Simply PERFECTION.
Trudi
My fangirl timeline:

First there was Scully and Mulder (the truth is out there).

Then came Sam and Dean Winchester (saving people, hunting things, the family business).

Recently there's been Elizabeth and Philip (Married Russian spies not to be confused with Royals)

Now keeping company with all of these is Alana and Marko. Star-crossed lovers from the warring planets of Wreath and Landfall. Horns and wings aside, their love is universal and instantly r
Bradley
Nov 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Re-Read 5/14/18:

So I'm revising this down to four stars. Why? Because it is, conceivably, the weakest of all the volumes. It's not that it's bad, but that so many crappy things happen... or are caused by... the characters I love the most.

Too much whining, too much indulgence, and just when they're both acting the most selfishly, FATE has to intervene.

So. Crap. This is the downturn. This is the start of a tragedy that, fortunately, is not forever. Things GET BETTER. *Sob*
Melanie
Aug 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Vol. 1 ★★★★
Vol. 2 ★★★★
Vol. 3 ★★★★★

Honestly, I had to read something I knew I loved after watching The Walking Dead premiere last night. It's too bad that this volume decided to kick me more in the feels than that heartbreaking episode, but I digress.

This volume really highlights the struggle of "non-practical" house dynamics. Alana is now a working mother, and Marko is now a stay-a
Sarah Churchill
My favourite of the series so far. I forget how much I love the writing when I'm waiting for the next volume and then I'm like a kid at Christmas when I get my hands on it. Love.
Elisabeth
Oct 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
So good! I need the next one, now!!
Sean Barrs the Bookdragon
I don't like this one too much. It's not a touch on the previous three.

The main problem is that it's all set up for the next few issues. There's clearly new and exciting things about to come and the groundwork was laid here (and that's it.)

All comic book series reach this stage at some point though I was quite suprised to see it happen here so early. I think the story is becoming bigger with each new volume so more work is needed to carry it forward in a convincing manner.
Sushi
Sep 26, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels

Well, hellooo Gwendolyn. I think I'll forever be in awe that somebody actually drew you into existence.

The Lying cat is turning out to be one of my favorite characters from this series. Loyal pets that end up saving the day always make for the best characters.

I still don't give a damn about Alana and Marko and their boring issues, but I really like the Grandma and how Ghus has entered the picture. After all the bloodshed and things you can't unsee because it's all so graphic, the cuteness factor Ghus pro
Abbie (boneseasonofglass)
Feb 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
How is this series so addictive? I just read the whole thing in one go, it's so good!

I'm kinda sad though because I'm not sure when i'll get to read anymore of the series :(
My library only has up to #4 and they're too expensive to buy. I resent spending like £9/10 when i'll read it in about 2 hours haha
Goodreads Choice ...: Saga Vol. 4 - April 2016 9 34 May 09, 2016 06:44AM
BooktubeSFF Awards: This topic has been closed to new comments. Saga, Volume 4 (2015) 2 25 Oct 03, 2015 05:43PM
2017 Reading Chal...: Saga, Volume 4 3 33 Jun 12, 2015 02:25PM
Madison Mega-Mara...: #15 Saga vol 4 by Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples 1 1 Feb 23, 2015 08:14PM
Oh eaah! 1 48 Dec 22, 2014 03:34PM

• Monstress, Vol. 2: The Blood
  • Monstress, Vol. 1: Awakening
  • The Faust Act (The Wicked + The Divine #1)
  • Monstress, Vol. 3: Haven
  • Fandemonium (The Wicked + The Divine #2)
  • Commercial Suicide (The Wicked + The Divine #3)
  • Pumpkinheads
  • Heartstopper: Volume One (Heartstopper, #1)
  • Heartstopper: Volume Two (Heartstopper, #2)
  • Rising Action (The Wicked + The Divine #4)
  • The Prince and the Dressmaker
  • East of West, Vol. 1: The Promise
  • The Umbrella Academy, Vol. 1: The Apocalypse Suite
  • Saga, Volume 7
  • Fence, Vol. 2
  • Demons (Rat Queens, #3)
  • Sass & Sorcery (Rat Queens, #1)
  • Fence, Vol. 3
Brian K. Vaughan is the writer and co-creator of comic-book series including SAGA, PAPER GIRLS, Y THE LAST MAN, RUNAWAYS, and most recently, BARRIER, a digital comic with artist Marcos Martin about immigration, available from their pay-what-you-want site www.PanelSyndicate.com

BKV's work has been recognized at the Eisner, Harvey, Hugo, Shuster, Eagle, and British Fantasy Awards. He sometimes writes for film and

Saga (Collected Editions) (9 books)
  • Saga, Vol. 1
  • Saga, Vol. 2
  • Saga, Vol. 3
  • Saga, Vol. 5
  • Saga, Vol. 6
  • Saga, Vol. 7
  • Saga, Vol. 8
  • Saga, Vol. 9
“Yeah, life is complicated. But it's also very fucking short.

If you find someone who can forgive all your bullshit... the least you can do is try to forgive them.”
68 likes
“Admit it, you're probably a very different person at work than you are at home.

Everyone needs to be someone else sometimes.”
12 likes