Start by marking “Saga, Vol. 4” as Want to Read:
Saga, Vol. 4

Saga, Vol. 4

(Saga (Collected Editions) #4)

4.45  ·  Rating details ·  64,470 ratings  ·  4,774 reviews
Saga is the sweeping tale of one young family fighting to find their place in the universe. As they visit a strange new world and encounter even more adversaries, baby Hazel finally becomes a toddler, while her star-crossed parents Marko and Alana struggle to stay on their feet.

Collecting: Saga 19-24
Paperback, Trade, 152 pages
Published December 17th 2014 by Image Comics

To ask other readers questions about Saga, Vol. 4, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Saga, Vol. 4

·  64,470 ratings  ·  4,774 reviews

Start your review of Saga, Vol. 4
Patrick
Jul 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Goddamn. This series. It's so good. It has such a density of narrative. Such quality of story.

There was a series of four panels that made me burst immediately into tears. Vaughan. What the hell man. How do you keep doing this to me?

Zoë
Jan 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
My favorite volume so far! The art? Stunning. The plot? A+.
Despite it being one of the shorter volumes, so much happened. I think part of the reason this was so successful was the time jump. The past three volumes have all occurred back to back, and there wasn't much time for new obstacles to pop up. Volume 4 has a new villain who actually frightens me as well as new strain on Alana and Marko's relationship. Not to mention Sophie has grown up into a fierce little girl.
Now, I'm not sure if this i
Anne
May 25, 2015 rated it really liked it

WARNING: Potential Spoilers Ahead!

description

You can really see how this family is going through the growing pains in this one. And, once again, Vaughn and Staples create a fantasy world that is so incredibly not fantasy.
This volume? This is a real marriage.
Can we please fight about it in the morning?

description

Ok, so now that they aren't running for their lives, the mundane existence of taking care of a family sets in...as it does with a lot of marriages.
Alana is working full-time as an actress on this sp
Federico DN
Aug 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
Life is nothing but a beautiful imperfect gem.

Problems in heaven. Our lovely fugitive couple struggles to secure a livelihood while hiding in some remote charted planet named Gardenia. Marko as a dedicated stay-at-home dad, Alana as a feisty disguised troupe actress. Tension rises, mistakes happen, and someone is bound to pay the price for it.

A nice turn to a bit of emotional family drama, strange, yet moving, and with some little action as well, how can that be missing. An awesome cliffhanger t
karen
Jul 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
A lot of people who came into my family's life looking like heroes ended up acting more like villains. I wish I could say the opposite was also true, but that was pretty fucking rare.

photo IMG_4477_zpspwljocwa.jpg

see, this is why goodreads is so great - i wasn't in love with this volume until i read anne's excellent review, where she recontextualized the story into real-world situations that made me appreciate it so much more with her insights and anecdotes. that woman's got a gift for reviewing, man. she should come bac
Elizabeth
Sep 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The only complaint is that I wanted more Lying Cat, but it is PERFECTION. If you haven't read Saga because "everyone always talks about it, and I want to be the lame hipster who finds fault in pop culture," take a selfie, upload it to Instagram, pick out a complimentary filter, set you iPhone 6+ on your rug from Urban Outfitters, jump over the phone and GET OVER YOURSELF. If you aren't reading Saga you are losing at life.
Saania Zee Jamal ϟ
I'M SWALLOWING THESE BOOKS FASTER THAN ALANA DOES FADEAWAY DRUGS.

description

And I don't know about you, but if that wasn't just some fantastic character development and maturity for Marko right there, then Mama Sun's a saint sent straight from the heavens. Would have loved to see more of the other characters than we did, but boOOoOoOoy oh boy am I still invested in this story than ever.

I'm coming for you, Vol 5!!! No seriously, expect a review to follow in t-minus 2 hours. This shit really is like drugs— t
Cristina Monica
Jul 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult, comics

Alright, so this took unexpected turns. I’m not disappointed, but I’m not thrilled either. I wish Alana would stop cursing in front of Hazel, because I really hate when people do that in front of their child and I’m really annoyed about her doing what she did to keep her job and this new character Ginny trying to steal the spotlight. Not my favorite volume, but the graphics are still incredible, the characters and plot are still interesting and it’s normal to have dark moments in life, so I’m ju
Maureen
Aug 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
SO GOOD SO GOOD.
Especially in this one, every chapter was a freAKING CLIFFHANGER it made me need to keep reading.
Nat
Mar 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
This review contains *spoilers*.

I loved how close the family was at the beginning. Alana and Marko were so sweet with Hazel.
description

They had this super adorable scene and then this happens
description
That one sentence made me tear up.

I’m so shocked with what went down in this volume. I honestly can’t believe Marko and Alana were split up at the end. I care for the two of them together so,so much. My heart hurts for everything they’re going through.
Hazel summed up my feelings pretty well “I guess I’m not sure what
Kemper
Feb 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi, war, comics, space, saga, 2015
Four volumes and I've given each of them 5 stars.

'nuff said.
Shelly Strange
I didn't like this one as much. Alana was bitchy and Marko was all emo. It was kind of funny how Alana had the job in that virtual reality soap opera. But then, (view spoiler).

Marko and the lady who gave Hazel dancing lessons.... it just felt like inserted drama. I guess it was to tease you because (view spoiler)
Megan Johnson
Jul 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
You know, I really cant get over how good this series is. I took maybe a month between reading the first 3 and then this one, and I was so excited to get back into the story.

It's simultaneously adorable, creepy, sleazy, and incredible. Each chapter leaves me wanting so much more, and yet is so fulfilling.

If you want to know more about what I think of the series, check out my other reviews. Otherwise, I can't recommend this enough.

WEBSITE | TWITTER | FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
Petrik
Dec 21, 2016 rated it liked it
3.5/5 Stars

Buddy reading this entire series with my favorite Princess Celeste

Took me a while but NOW THIS IS GETTING BETTER! Finally! Imo Volume 4 of Saga is the best so far. It's fast paced, the stories are great (it's finally going somewhere), it's more complex and the drawings and characters development improve much further. If the quality of this volume continue to the rest of the series, I can see why Saga received the acclaim it gets.

Marko, Hazel, Alana have changing and more complex relat
Adam Silvera
Jul 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
LOVE.
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Re-read 4/19/17: Marko is still a stone cold fox tbh

Original read 2015: Absolutely incredible. Also, Marko is a stone cold fox. Damn
Will M.
Oct 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
This fourth installment was not as perfect as the last one, but it was still fucking amazing.

The plot continues to thicken and the characters keep getting better at what they do. While this one started off slow, the pacing improved while nearing the middle. A lot of unexpected things happened plus an annoying cliffhanger in the end. I can't wait to read the next volume to know what's going to happen with (view spoiler). Add the fact that while Haz
Lauren Lanz
This was by far the most entertaining volume yet! I'm forever impressed by the art in Saga and the creativity that comes with inventing such unique characters.

“A lot of people who came into my family's life looking like heroes ended up acting more like villains.”

In Volume 4, Marko and Alana find themselves struggling with more mundane issues than they would typically come across. As Hazel grows into a toddler, Alana is forced to find a steady source of income while Marko takes care of their
Steph Sinclair
OMG that ending. How is it possible for this series to be so consistently amazing?! Need volume 4 immediately.
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
First off, I wanted to kill this stupid chic thing. I don't even know her name. I looked all over and thought I was losing my mind not remembering her name. All I can say is she's blue, she tries going after Marko and lets just say that little Hazel said it best in the book Her is ugly I had to get that out so now we can move on :-D Oh yeah, her name is Ginny! Who cares!

So it starts out with Prince tv heads wife has a son while he is off in the twilight zone. <---Read book 3.

Said baby gets sto
Lindsey Rey
Sep 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014, graphic-novels
The best volume in the series to date! Exciting, action-packed, great character development, and beautiful artwork as always. Simply PERFECTION.
Trudi
My fangirl timeline:

First there was Scully and Mulder (the truth is out there).

Then came Sam and Dean Winchester (saving people, hunting things, the family business).

Recently there's been Elizabeth and Philip (Married Russian spies not to be confused with Royals)

Now keeping company with all of these is Alana and Marko. Star-crossed lovers from the warring planets of Wreath and Landfall. Horns and wings aside, their love is universal and instantly recognizable. All they want is peace, to be left
Bradley
Nov 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Re-Read 5/14/18:

So I'm revising this down to four stars. Why? Because it is, conceivably, the weakest of all the volumes. It's not that it's bad, but that so many crappy things happen... or are caused by... the characters I love the most.

Too much whining, too much indulgence, and just when they're both acting the most selfishly, FATE has to intervene.

So. Crap. This is the downturn. This is the start of a tragedy that, fortunately, is not forever. Things GET BETTER. *Sob* But first, sometimes, a
Jessica
Feb 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Love where this story is heading!
Melanie
Aug 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Vol. 1 ★★★★
Vol. 2 ★★★★
Vol. 3 ★★★★★

Honestly, I had to read something I knew I loved after watching The Walking Dead premiere last night. It's too bad that this volume decided to kick me more in the feels than that heartbreaking episode, but I digress.

This volume really highlights the struggle of "non-practical" house dynamics. Alana is now a working mother, and Marko is now a stay-at-home dad. The resentment from both sides is really hurting their relationship and it was really hard to see/read
Andrea Ashwood
Jun 18, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2020-books
Well, you have to be brave before you can be good.

This one was hard... 😶🤐
I think it was as the same line like the volume three, a little bit less interesting, but I deduce that this will change soon.

About the volume: New characters that are going to make my head explode (where they come from? what they're looking for? what are they hidding?), seriously, need more of this series.

Of course, I'm still praying to the universe that the Lying Cat survives the whole saga or my heart will br
Sarah Churchill
My favourite of the series so far. I forget how much I love the writing when I'm waiting for the next volume and then I'm like a kid at Christmas when I get my hands on it. Love.
Sushi
Sep 26, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels

Well, hellooo Gwendolyn. I think I'll forever be in awe that somebody actually drew you into existence.

The Lying cat is turning out to be one of my favorite characters from this series. Loyal pets that end up saving the day always make for the best characters.

I still don't give a damn about Alana and Marko and their boring issues, but I really like the Grandma and how Ghus has entered the picture. After all the bloodshed and things you can't unsee because it's all so graphic, the cuteness fact
Sean Barrs
I don't like this one too much. It's not a touch on the previous three.

The main problem is that it's all set up for the next few issues. There's clearly new and exciting things about to come and the groundwork was laid here (and that's it.)

All comic book series reach this stage at some point though I was quite suprised to see it happen here so early. I think the story is becoming bigger with each new volume so more work is needed to carry it forward in a convincing manner.

Far too much time was
Abbie (boneseasonofglass)
Feb 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
How is this series so addictive? I just read the whole thing in one go, it's so good!

I'm kinda sad though because I'm not sure when i'll get to read anymore of the series :(
My library only has up to #4 and they're too expensive to buy. I resent spending like £9/10 when i'll read it in about 2 hours haha
YA Buddy Readers'...: Saga Vol 4 by Brian Vaughan, Starting Jan 19, 2020 5 9 Jan 20, 2020 09:49PM
Goodreads Choice ...: Saga Vol. 4 - April 2016 9 34 May 09, 2016 06:44AM
BooktubeSFF Awards: This topic has been closed to new comments. Saga, Volume 4 (2015) 2 25 Oct 03, 2015 05:43PM
2017 Reading Chal...: Saga, Volume 4 3 33 Jun 12, 2015 02:25PM
Madison Mega-Mara...: #15 Saga vol 4 by Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples 1 1 Feb 23, 2015 08:14PM
Oh eaah! 1 49 Dec 22, 2014 03:34PM

• Monstress, Vol. 1: Awakening
  • Heartstopper: Volume Three (Heartstopper, #3)
  • Monstress, Vol. 2: The Blood
  • Heartstopper: Volume Two (Heartstopper, #2)
  • The Wicked + The Divine, Vol. 1: The Faust Act (The Wicked + The Divine, #1)
  • The Wicked + The Divine, Vol. 2: Fandemonium (The Wicked + The Divine #2)
  • Heartstopper: Volume One (Heartstopper, #1)
  • Locke & Key, Vol. 2: Head Games
  • Fence, Vol. 2
  • The Wicked + The Divine, Vol. 3: Commercial Suicide (The Wicked + The Divine #3)
  • Locke & Key, Vol. 3: Crown of Shadows
  • Monstress, Vol. 3: Haven
  • Locke & Key, Vol. 4: Keys to the Kingdom
  • Fence, Vol. 1
  • Fence, Vol. 3
  • The Tea Dragon Society (Tea Dragon, #1)
  • The Wicked + The Divine, Vol. 4: Rising Action (The Wicked + The Divine #4)
Brian K. Vaughan is the writer and co-creator of comic-book series including SAGA, PAPER GIRLS, Y THE LAST MAN, RUNAWAYS, and most recently, BARRIER, a digital comic with artist Marcos Martin about immigration, available from their pay-what-you-want site www.PanelSyndicate.com

BKV's work has been recognized at the Eisner, Harvey, Hugo, Shuster, Eagle, and British Fantasy Awards. He sometimes writes

Saga (Collected Editions) (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Saga, Vol. 1
  • Saga, Vol. 9
  • Saga, Volume 10
  • Saga, Volume 11

Articles featuring this book

Readers were swept away by their Saga, Volume 4, the Goodreads Choice Awards winner for Best Graphic Novel.
“Yeah, life is complicated. But it's also very fucking short.

If you find someone who can forgive all your bullshit... the least you can do is try to forgive them.”
73 likes
“Admit it, you're probably a very different person at work than you are at home.

Everyone needs to be someone else sometimes.”
18 likes