Start by marking “Wildfire: Volume 1” as Want to Read:
Wildfire: Volume 1

Wildfire: Volume 1

Is genetically modified food an end to world hunger - or a first class ticket to the apocalypse? Dan Miller is a plant biologist working with a small team perfecting an accelerated plant growth process. When things go wrong, Los Angeles pays the price in a disaster story unlike any before!
Published December 23rd 2014 by Image Comics (first published November 25th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Wildfire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wildfire

Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
Dr Dan Miller is a plant biologist working with a small team on perfecting an accelerated plant growth process. But something goes wrong during a live experiment and soon the whole city of Los Angeles is in peril and the disaster is spreading over the US...

This graphic novel shows what could happen if something goes wrong when you tamper with mother nature. The problem for me was that I was never really drawn into the story. It's a serious subject...but I just didn't get hooked with the stor
Steve
I received this from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Interesting story about the potential loss of control in GMO crops, in this case, dandelions in Los Angeles. Through rapid mutation, the new crop of weeds destroy the city's infrastructure and kill thousands. Farfetched? Perhaps.

The part I found most intriguing was the final dozen or so pages that presented both sides of the genetically-modified food argument. I liked that better than the story itself, but I'm an information and d
Kate
4.5*

Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book through Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

A live experiment, used to show the benefits of accelerating plant growth, goes disastrously wrong when plant spore make their way to downtown L.A. The subsequent plants spread and grow at an alarming rate, causing widespread damage and fatalities, it is up to plant biologist, Dan Miller, to try and stop the plantlife before it completely destroys L.A.

I loved this
47Time
Sep 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics-fiction
While the story focuses on fairly believable facts about genetic engineering, there is also plenty of time dedicated to the human element. The city-wide tragedy affects many thousands of lives and, in true action movie style, it relies on the man responsible for it to find a solution. Very much like in such a movie, there is no real bad guy, just a force of nature that must be dealt with. It's a lesson that doesn't really say that genetic engineering is good or bad, but highlights the importance ...more
Nana Spark
Mar 29, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Eh....
Craig
Dec 26, 2014 rated it it was ok
Might be more like 2 and a half stars (if I could assign half stars). This graphic novel reads more like a science debate at times and could really stand to be a bit less didactic in its approach. Writer Hawkins says in an afterword that he's developing this story as a potential screenplay and I could see elements of The Andromeda Strain and even the 1970s Earthquake (in SenSurround!) in the story, but it never really grabbed me the way a good comic should. The story follows what happens when a ...more
A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol)
*Book source ~ A review copy was provided via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Dr. Dan Miller is a plant biologist working for a company trying to accelerate plant growth in an effort to relieve world hunger. However, when a demonstration for the press results in unintended and unexpected consequences, the city of L.A. goes up in flames. It’s up to Dan to find a solution before the whole world burns.

This story appealed to me because I’ve been hearing about GMO f
tyto
Dec 04, 2014 rated it did not like it
I received this from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

So, somebody doesn't like the idea of GMOs. This book is basically just a missive against GMOs. The characters lack development, and it was hard to care about any of them. The art style was interesting, but the whole thing just fell flat to me. And a sequel about genetically modified insects? Ugh.
Jonathan Roberts
Jan 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017
Decent little book about what happens when weeds take over LA (not kidding) and it is actually done pretty well. I may pick up the next volume but we will see.
Kammera
Jan 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel, series
A good What if scenario when Genetically Altered Seeds go awry and grow out of control and take down all of LA, threatening to spread globally. In the nick of time, the Illustrious doctor scientist find a cure. The graphic novel supplies great resources and links at the end for researching for and against GMO products. This would be a great way for students to learn about this still hotly debated topic.
Johan
Jun 29, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels, scifi
It started very promising: the tension between GMO-scientists and anti-GMO-activists, the drive to showcase results by the former and the willingness to prevent that by any means possible by the latter, but it ended up as a plain vanilla disaster comic ... GMOs ARE DANGEROUS duh!

I expected better from Matt Hawkins, especially after having read Think Tank. Wildfire is definitely not in the same league
Keith
Jul 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Pretty good story that moves well, but the use of the story as a vehicle for GMO debate was too obvious too often. The art was crisp and appropriate — I liked it. Worth a read if you don’t mind a serious subject being handled in a somewhat sensationalistic way.
Daniel
Jan 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
This review originally published in Looking For a Good Book. Rated 4.25 of 5

There are a great number of similarities between a graphic novel story and a story written for other visual mediums such as film and theatre. Now I don't know a lot about film, but I do know a little something about theatre and playwriting. I have, taped above my desk, a series of "I believe..." quotes from one of my favorite playwriting books. Those quotes include:

"I believe in strong stories with str
Marcelo Sanchez
May 28, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: comic, science
Estuve tentado de ponerle dos estrellas, pero me gustaría que salieran más comics como este. Y espero que hayan más autores como Matt Hawkins.
Matt Hawkins es el autor de Think Tank, comics que traen ciencia de verdad al medio. O al menos lo intentan. Comics que tocan temas conflictivos, como los transgénicos en este caso, y lo hacen de manera responsable e informada (o al menos más responsable e informada que el clásico link de Facebook).

La premisa es estupenda, el tema es inte
Wayne McCoy
Dec 03, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
If disaster movie mogul Irwin Allen were alive today, he might be telling an over the top story like 'Wildfire Volume 1.' It's the kind of mega-scale disaster and character motivation I remember.

Dan Miller is a plant biologist with seemingly good intentions: to accelerate plant growth so that food crops can feed an overpopulated world. When he is forced to change his experiment under corporate pressure, things go awry. The city of Los Angeles finds itself under siege. As newscasters
Theediscerning
Jan 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
To start with, this is a beautiful graphic novel. The images look like they're digitally airbrushed, and go some ways towards having photorealism. Characters are on the whole strong, the dynamics of the images are full-on, and I really liked the many creative ways the margins of the images were broken up – characters shouting a sound level into the gutter, drama breaking the frames up all over the shop, etc. There's something of the full-on if not the realism about the plot, where one car crash ...more
Stefani - SpelingExpirt
Wildfire, written by Matt Hawkins and illustrated by Linda Sejic, takes a look at the potential risks that untested GMO crops could have on the environment.

Dr Dan Miller is one of a team working to perfect the crops when a few seeds of modified dandelion are accidentally released into the atmosphere. Chaos, fires, general destruction ensues.

I don’t really have too much to say about this comic, it isn’t bad but it isn’t good. It isn’t boring but it isn’t exciting either. T
Aaron Churchill
Mar 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Such a great read. This is an important time in comics and books like this prove it. It's great the movies are putting a light on comics, because it allows for great books like this to get noticed and made in a convoluted community (not a complaint, bring as many as you can i say).
While the story satisfies the comic geek in me, the "Science Class" makes the political, education hungry side of me satsified.
The characters are well thought out, the premise of the story is well researche
Kristin (Blood,Sweat and Books)
Wildfire was a graphic novel I stumbled across as a recommendation in my email. As soon as I read the premise I knew this was one I'd have to read. While the story of Wildfire might be fictionalized, The battle over GMO's and the corporations who push them on the public is something very real. Even though Wildfire is meant to be read as Science Fiction I couldn't help but think how something like this could happen as more and more Genetically Modified seeds make there way into the general popula ...more
Kristine Hall
Dec 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Outstanding graphic novel taking a "what if" scenario on genetic modification. I appreciated that the author didn't preach any political agenda and also that he didn't feel the need to throw in gratuitous sex scenes, naked people, and profanity, as seems to be the norm in any graphic novel these days. The story has more than enough action and interest to keep readers engaged, and the illustrations -- wow! Stunning, and some of the scenes were so realistic that they could have been photographs. T ...more
Elle Markov
May 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was a really good book, it touches on the morality of genetically modified foods and whether or not scientist consider long term effects on the environment.

In the story we follow Dr. Dan Miller and his team as they work to create a GMF that is fast growing and resistant to plague, however, during a presentation things go horribly wrong when some anti-GMF lunatic sabotages the experiment (seriously, it's always the extremist).

The art was very good and throughout it they provide
Dan
Jan 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
As the world become overpopulated, food supplies are dwindling and scientists are exploring ways to genetically speed the rate food can grow. Unfortunately, one experiment goes awry and Los Angles is soon engulfed in quickly growing plant life and a scared human population.

It likes reading a storyboard of the infamous 70s disaster movies and I loved it. The artwork was superb and the story was interesting enough to enjoy. The author certainly has a strong point of view about GMOs and it shows.
Sherry Wilson
Jan 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
I received an email showcasing this graphic novel and several others that caught my attention. I thought the artwork was very good and the story right out of current affairs. The GMO issue was big in out state during the November elections this time. I've always had a weakness for disaster stories whether on the screen or in print and this one lived up to the genre. I also liked the pro & con links about GMO and GE subjects along with the author Q & A at the end of the book.
Alisha
Dec 03, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: net-galley, dnf
I'm not super impressed with this other than the art style, which is awesome and I will always appreciate full colour graphic novels! However, the story didn't grip me at all, and I struggled to get through it. It was just overly aggressive, and maybe I just wanted something chill to read at the time, but the whole thing made me really antsy, and it wasn't really enjoyable for me.
Keyreads
Dec 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2014
I received a copy of the volume from the publisher via NetGalley for an honest review.

Very enjoyable! This volume explored several ethical issues, leaving the reader questioning how far will society allow science to take us into the future before disaster strikes. I'm really looking forward to volume two!

(view spoiler)
Sean
Jan 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Won copy from publisher

Received this though post and really enjoyed from the moment I opened,
story centres around accelerated plant growth and the consequences

Really good story, characters and graphics. Well worth a read
PJ Ebbrell
Mar 01, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novesl
The Food of the Gods updated to contemporary LA. A bit preachy in places, but enjoyable romp. Some surprises for characters which I thought were good.
Elengendro
Jan 12, 2016 rated it did not like it
Malo, con moralina, anticiencia y estúpido
Deon