Start by marking “The Wicked + The Divine, Vol. 1: The Faust Act (The Wicked + The Divine, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Wicked + The Divine, Vol. 1: The Faust Act (The Wicked + The Divine, #1)

The Wicked + The Divine, Vol. 1: The Faust Act

(The Wicked + The Divine (Collected Editions) #1)

3.83  ·  Rating details ·  52,124 ratings  ·  4,505 reviews
Every ninety years, twelve gods incarnate as humans. They are loved. They are hated. In two years, they are dead. The team behind critical tongue-attractors like Young Avengers and PHONOGRAM reunite to create a world where gods are the ultimate pop stars and pop stars are the ultimate gods. But remember: just because you’re immortal, doesn’t mean you’re going to live forev ...more
Published November 12th 2014 by Image Comics

·  52,124 ratings  ·  4,505 reviews

Start your review of The Wicked + The Divine, Vol. 1: The Faust Act (The Wicked + The Divine, #1)
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
I enjoyed this, but I found it difficult to follow at times and it felt rather undeveloped. I definitely want to continue on with this series, but I can't deny that I wasn't very impressed with this first volume.
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
5 freaking stars for the artwork! Why? Because I can!

As you can read from the blurb, these gods come back every 90 years to be on Earth for 2 years and then I guess they die or whatever. I don't understand all of those reasons or why they come back every 90 years but who cares. The story is so different and the artwork is amazeballs.

This time they come back as pop stars. Bwhahahhaha, sorry, I just think that is hilarious!

We have Laura who is a fangirl and wants to be with them and she befriend
Anne
May 15, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone but me

The Wicked and the Divine had this special something about it that kept me interested the entire time I was reading it.
But once I finished, I was like...that's it?

description

Even now, I'm not sure I read the same book that seems to have captured the hearts of most of my friends.

So this one is about gods who show up every so often, live for a few years, and then die. I'm not sure if they kill themselves when their time is up, or if they just explode when the timer goes beep. But for whatever reason
NReads
Aug 28, 2018 added it
DNF 70%

I don't see myself finishing this anytime soon, the art is breathtaking but I have 0 interest in the story. The concept has potential, but I just can't stand the characters at all, they all sound the same to me.
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more
11/24/17 - ON SALE for $3.99:

Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

SO. Every ninety years a bunch of gods take over the bodies of a bunch of teenagers to live as pop stars for two years before they die.

description

Riiiiight. B/c gods have nothing better to do than become Taylor Swift. Fame is everything. Worship. Adulation.

Whatever, I'm bored.

Know what else is boring? They don't use their god-like powers b/c it will scare the puny humans.

Is it just me, or are these the lamest gods ever?

E
Cristina Monica
Oh my sweet goodness, this is one comic I feel I will get addicted to. I usually relatively like those, but this is incredibly beautiful and so well thought of. How can one resist the beauty that is uncovered in this first issue?

description

I never read something quite like this. The plot is extremely powerfully emotion-filled and contains a wonderful main character that has qualities and weaknesses, but I just couldn’t help but connect with her, since she is so human and absolutely relatable.

If there’s on
Hershey
Well, hello, gorgeous cover!

The Wicked and the Divine has a very interesting concept. It's like a rough spin on something we're are all completely familiar with: Pop Stars. They're everywhere, they are addicting, they are our idols. In this beautifully illustrated graphic novel, the gods are the pop stars and the pop stars are the gods. Everyone would love to be them, they worship them but alas, they die within two years. They can have all their glory and fame only for two years and they get rei
Maureen
Sep 15, 2015 rated it liked it
3.5/5 stars
Like most everyone else, I thought the art was beautiful and astounding and fantastic. However, the story was lacking. The general premise is really interesting, but I got confused as to what was actually happening most of the time. The book felt like it was more about introducing the gods than having an actual consistent storyline.
BUT I MEAN that ending.
Will M.
Jan 19, 2015 rated it it was ok
One word would be sufficient to describe this graphic novel, and that word would be absurd. Everything was all over the place, and the plot didn't do it justice. Most of the time I depend on the characters for enjoyment, but a bad plot is never forgivable. Not the worst I've read ever, but it was confusing as hell.

This one had a wonderful premise, but the execution was questionable. I was honestly underwhelmed because the plot wasn't fully developed. I know that this is part of a series, but tha
Michael Finocchiaro
Interesting story, but more for millennials than old farts like perhaps. Some of the ideas are good, but the jumps in the story are abrupt and the names of the gods don’t really make a lot of sense with respect to their stories (technically, Lucifer was an angel, not a god for one example). I’ll give Vol 2 a shot but I remain skeptical.
Samantha
Mar 26, 2016 rated it it was ok
The art. The art was amazing. The art was the only thing I liked about this.
I'm strongly in the minority here, but I just did not like the story or the characters....
Sean Gibson
Apr 25, 2015 rated it liked it
2.5 Stars

Hmm…let’s see…ooh, this is a pretty intriguing high concept: every 90 years, 12 gods inhabit the bodies of mortals for a 2-year period, transforming those humans into gods so that they can live fast and go out in a blaze of glory.

Oh, and it’s Gillen and McKelvie…I’ve read their stuff before. It’s good. And there’s a pun in the title. “The Faust Act.” Heh. That’s funny. Like that salon “Shearlocks” near my house. Makes me laugh every time. EVERY TIME.

Well, let’s dive into issue 1…ah, y
Melanie
Jun 25, 2018 rated it did not like it

Friends, apparently this is just the week of me hating everyone’s favs, because I honestly did hate this. This is maybe the worst graphic novel I have ever read. I’m sorry, I truly am so sorry. Trust me, I don’t like hurting anyone’s feelings AND I absolutely hate wasting my time. But I honestly only liked the diversity in this. That’s it. But not even a pansexual lucifer was enough for me to like this. The full-page art openers of each issue were beautiful, but I didn’t even love the art of the
Nenia ✨️ Socially Awkward Trash Panda ✨️ Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

Come for the art, stay for the LGBT+ fan-service. I honestly wasn't sure about what to expect with THE WICKED + THE DIVINE. Half my friends loved it, half my friends hated it. I'm in Team Loved It but I can definitely see why it isn't for everyone. It's messy, it's shallow, it's weird, it's violent, it's mean...

But it works.

X meets Y descriptions are so overdone, but this is literally like American Gods meets Jem and the Holograms. Every
Elle (ellexamines)
description

OH MY GOD. OH MY GOD. OH MY GOD. This graphic novel series is starting off just excellent. The art is polished and gorgeous— seriously, the character design alone deserves a medal.

I’ve seen a lot of people saying the plot is confusing, and yes, it is at times. But you know what? The characters are fantastic enough and the art style gorgeous enough that it makes up for it.

Also, three words: pansexual. girl. Lucifer.

description

And all the characters!! Holy crap, they’re all great.
♔ Laura— our arguable prot
Matthew
May 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Wow! This is a really unique and bizarre tale about Gods walking amongst us (seems to be a common literary theme lately). Because it is so odd, I was only just finally getting the hang of it as I reached the end of volume 1 - a compilation of the first five issues.

If you like:

-Graphic novels
-Stories with a thin line between the mortal realm and the great unknown
-Beautiful people killing each other in gruesome fashion

Check this one out!

Note on the art: The faces in this graphic novel are amazin
Jeff
Feb 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comix
It's a grab bag of different themes, as the Shallow Readers struggle to catch up.

John Milton in Paradise Lost set the standard for many future Lucifer characters: rhetorically skilled ("Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven."), witty and dripping with charisma.

Lucifer appears as Luci, a female member of a group of gods who appear on Earth once every 90 years, and gets the lion's share of the good lines and dwarfs the other gods by comparison.

The group is more wicked than divine and despi
Lindsey Rey
Feb 27, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels, 2016
[3.5 Stars]
Jan Philipzig
Slick but shallow, self-congratulatory, sterile, ultimately pointless pop-stars-as-gods fantasy, as far as I can tell. I tried twice, but I just can't get into this one. 1.5 stars.
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
This will be a review for both issue 1 and the edition comprising issues 1 to 5 (yeah I'm lazy I know).

I hardly ever read comics. Not that I dislike them, it's just that I don't usually like the artwork very much. Then I discovered The Wicked + The Divine.

The artwork is amazing. The colours are incredible. I'm not very familiar with the world of comics and graphic novels but I've never seen anything quite like this before. Beautiful. And hypnotizing. I could browse the issues for hours, just loo
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
"Just because you're immortal doesn't mean you're going to live forever."

REREAD UPDATE — 04/27/2020:
It's been a few years since I started (and subsequently put down) this series, and I've been saying for months I would give it another chance, so I finally decided to do just that. Honestly, this first volume was so much better than I remember it being the first time I read it, which gives me very high hopes that I'll enjoy the next volume more, too (and finally continue the series!).

Also, le
Tatiana
Jun 08, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels, 2016
Gorgeous art, cool concept, messy text
Donovan
Sep 09, 2015 rated it liked it

WICKED + DIVINE actually pissed me off the first time I read it, because it tries SO hard. Between the Shakespeare, reality TV, and teen fandom, it's almost too much. It's satire, I get it, but it lacks any subtlety and I don't find it all that funny.

The thing about W+D is it's conceptually intriguing. Immortal gods who live for two years and reincarnate every ninety. I read American Gods, it was pretty cool. It was also subtle.

But the concept and execution deviate greatly from, at least my ow
Bookishrealm
2020: CHILEEEEE this was such a crazyyyy ride. I forgot how good this story is!

This is my 3rd time reading this first volume and I always seem to forget how crazy this comic book series really is! I will say that while reading this it is super important to look up the information related to the gods and goddesses described. It makes their characters make more sense. I knew some but I didn't know all and the writers definitely use gods and goddesses from so many different cultures and religions s
Feb 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: z2017, graphic-novels
This comic was really cool. What I really liked about it was how different it was. It stands apart from every other comic I have ever read. I loved the Gods and the premise but I just wish that in future volumes there will be more world-building, character backstories and/or character development. In the future comics I would also love to see a story that is much more concise. At times I felt quite confused reading this and from reading a couple of other reviews on here, I wasn't the only one. I ...more
Helen 2.0
Jun 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
This graphic novel was a special snowflake. I think reading the Wicked and the Divine is like befriending that one weird outcast on the playground. It could go amazingly well and you could be BFFs. Or it could go badly and you'd have to awkwardly avoid each other for the rest of time.
For me it was more or less the former outcome. I barely registered how incredibly confusing the story was because I was so busy drooling over the STUNNING art. Absolutely beautiful.
Maxwell
Jan 03, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: owned, graphic-novels
Story = meh.
Art = YEAAAAAH.
Overall = 3 stars.
I'll try the next volume when it comes out though.
Ashley DiNorcia
Mar 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, comics
I AM 100% HERE FOR THIS
Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘
Here's the proof that I can LOVE evil characters.

✔ Loved the beautiful art

✔Loved the characters, especially Lucy, aka Lucifer

✔ Loved how mythology was handled and the storyline.

✔ Loved the irreverent humor

I fucking loved EVERYTHING. Full review to come.
Samantha
Dec 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
I LOVED THIS! I haven't instantly loved a series like this since I started Saga by Brian K. Vaughn. Firstly, the art is stunning. I have never seen more beautiful art in a graphic novel. It is bright, but clear. Realistic, but fantastical. It appeals to me on so many levels. More importantly though, the storyline instantly had me hooked. I love anything having to do with mythology of any kind, so the synopsis had me hooked before I even dived in. I was surprised and excited about the amount of g ...more
Goodreads Librari...: Please correct page number 3 232 Oct 18, 2019 05:35PM
Pages and Panels: This topic has been closed to new comments. The Wicked and The Divine: Readalikes 1 6 Jun 09, 2018 01:33PM
Pages and Panels: This topic has been closed to new comments. Who is the guilty party? 1 3 Jun 09, 2018 01:32PM
Pages and Panels: This topic has been closed to new comments. The Ending and the Series 1 3 Jun 09, 2018 01:26PM
Pages and Panels: This topic has been closed to new comments. The Wicked and The Divine: First Thoughts 5 6 May 31, 2018 07:29AM
Pages and Panels: This topic has been closed to new comments. Who do you relate to most? 1 2 May 18, 2018 11:50AM
Pages and Panels: This topic has been closed to new comments. What would you do? 1 2 May 18, 2018 11:48AM

• Paper Girls, Vol. 1 (Paper Girls, #1)
  • Monstress, Vol. 1: Awakening
  • Sass & Sorcery (Rat Queens, #1)
  • Sex Criminals: Volume One: One Weird Trick
  • Saga, Vol. 1
  • Locke & Key, Volume 1: Welcome to Lovecraft
  • Lumberjanes, Vol. 1: Beware the Kitten Holy (Lumberjanes, Vol. 1)
  • Fables, Vol. 1: Legends in Exile
  • Batman: The Long Halloween #1
  • Y: The Last Man, Vol. 1: Unmanned
  • Dream Country (The Sandman, #3)
  • Saga, Vol. 5
  • Sex Criminals: Volume Two: Two Worlds One Cop
  • Nimona
  • Saga, Vol. 2
  • The Far Reaching Tentacles of N'rygoth (Rat Queens, #2)
  • Ms. Marvel (2014-2015) #1
  • Pretty Deadly, Vol. 1: The Shrike
Kieron Gillen is a comic book writer and former media journalist.

The Wicked + The Divine (Collected Editions) (9 books)
  • The Wicked + The Divine, Vol. 2: Fandemonium (The Wicked + The Divine #2)
  • The Wicked + The Divine, Vol. 3: Commercial Suicide (The Wicked + The Divine #3)
  • The Wicked + The Divine, Vol. 4: Rising Action (The Wicked + The Divine #4)
  • The Wicked + The Divine, Vol. 5: Imperial Phase, Part I (The Wicked + The Divine #5)
  • The Wicked + The Divine, Vol. 6: Imperial Phase, Part II (The Wicked + The Divine #6)
  • The Wicked + The Divine, Vol. 7: Mothering Invention (The Wicked + The Divine #7)
  • The Wicked + The Divine, Vol. 8: Old Is the New New (The Wicked + The Divine #8)
  • The Wicked + The Divine, Vol. 9: Okay (the wicked + the divine #9)

Articles featuring this book

Have you already surpassed your 2018 Reading Challenge? That's fantastic. Congrats! But then this isn't for you. This is for the rest...
“You will be loved. You will be hated. You will be brilliant. Within two years, you will be dead.” 8 likes
“I'd appreciate it if you could at least be creepy in a way I could understand.” 6 likes