Start by marking “Dumped: Stories of Women Unfriending Women” as Want to Read:
Dumped: Stories of Women Unfriending Women

Dumped: Stories of Women Unfriending Women

3.78  ·  Rating details ·  98 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
There are 161 million women in America today, and our friendships are still as primary and universal as back when Ruth and Naomi, Elizabeth and Susan B., Lucy and Ethel, and Thelma and Louise made history. And that s what makes being dumped by a woman friend so excruciating: you expect romantic relationships to break up eventually but you don t expect it from your friendsh ...more
Paperback
Published March 3rd 2015 by She Writes PR

To ask other readers questions about Dumped, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dumped

Kathleen Kelly
May 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Dumped: Stories of Women Unfriending Women I have never been dumped by a female friend as I really don't have any, I have been dumped by female family members for sure. Close female family, not because they moved away as children do but by a mother and sometimes it feels that my siblings have done that. Everyone has lives and these lives may create distances from them.
With that said, Dumped, is a book with stories from celebrated women authors who have experienced what it is like to be "dumped"
Jenny
Feb 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
We often look back on relationships, especially those from grade school through high school, and wonder what happened or how you survived or what awesome memories. Dumped fills a void of topics we often discuss on the edge but not wholly and honestly. Looking forward to visiting with my book club about this treat. An interesting/insightful read if you are willing to look within yourself.

Thanks to JKSCommunications for sharing with me and my book club!
Elisabeth Rose
Apr 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
When I first came upon this title on a Facebook feed, I stopped in my digital tracks. Did I really want to read about and wallow in the breakup of "besties?" Since childhood, I've had best friends who were closer to me than sisters or spouses. For women, best friends are another kind of "significant other," and when you lose your best friend, the grief is as debilitating as a death in the family. However, when such a relationship comes to its often mystifying end, no one brings you a casserole, ...more
Meghan
Jun 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: anthology, chick-lit
3.5. One essay said of the experience of being shouted at and shoved by a former friend, "I felt like a rape victim" which I thought was a little beyond the pale. Readable and insightful, although the first set of essays about school and cliques and friendship groups was the strongest, just because the experiences are so formative and scarring.
Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader & Traveling Sister
Highly readable and relatable stories about the endings of friendships for women; an important read for women as I don't hear this talked about often, though I know it happens. Thanks to the editor, Nina Gaby, I won a copy of this book. My opinions are my own.
Allegra S
"The initial shock when you are betrayed quickly turns into a feeling of heat-wrenching and heavy sadness, followed by an infinite stream of questions that begin with why.” - Breaking Omertà, Alexandria Goddard

“Her silence is loud, it breaks my heart.” - Ann Hood

This is an incredible set of essays. Though some I have rated some individual essays as less than 5/5, the whole is greater than the sum of its parts and this book deserves 5 stars. Many angles, perspectives, and demographics are invest
Story Circle Book Reviews
Mar 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Until I read this book, I would have told you I'd been dumped. But in these pages the distinction between friendships that just fade away and those that involve dumping is very clear. What I have known in my life is friendships that slowly disappeared, mostly because other people moved away. There have been some where our interests slowly diverged and we lost touch, though we remain cordial on the occasional accidental meeting. The best advice in those cases is to treasure the memories. But dump ...more
Barbara Stark-Nemon
Mar 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Nina Gaby’s collection of essays Dumped: Stories of Women Unfriending Women is as direct and unsparing about women’s capacity to cruelly leave each other’s friendships as the title suggests. What the fascinating voices represented in these stories deliver is a chorus of shock and attendant feelings of betrayal, isolation, self-doubt and intense pain that are common to nearly every one of the women’s experiences. Gaby makes a clear distinction between friendships that dissipate over time and dist ...more
Rachel (Confessions of a Book Geek)
I found out about this book through another book blogger and immediately contacted the publisher to ask for a review copy. Thankfully, they obliged!

I enjoy non-fiction reads from time-to-time, and I particularly enjoy essay style books in a similar vein to Chicken Soup for the Soul. That's exactly what you'll get from Dumped. I loved the idea behind this book, I thought there were a lot of strong stories in this compilation and I think it would make a great read for any female who has been dumpe
Nancy
Apr 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a collection of essays/stories by women writers about being dumped by women friends. When I saw the book on the shelf, I thought, Well, that hasn't really happened to me, but I bet those stories are interesting. The very first story was taken almost exactly from my life in the second grade! Other stories brought back other memories, and made me reflect on what we need and expect from friends and what it takes to maintain relationships when needs and expectations can't be met. . .
Lisa
Feb 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: book-reviews
I received a complimentary copy in exchange for an honest review.
A series of essays on women being dumped by their female friends. Many of the stories had me going " I know how she feels!" All of them were good even though I felt a couple didn't really belong but I still enjoyed those as well. This is a must read for women.
CassandraG
Mar 09, 2015 rated it really liked it

There were high school friends that turn out to be not friends. Long-time friends that lost communication but eventually reconnected only to lose that connection again and a few other ones that were a really nice short collection of stories and some of the stories were a little sad, but some were quite humorous too and you could easily relate to them. So if you get a chance check them out.
René
Jun 16, 2015 rated it it was ok
Last essay in the collection was the best--the one by Nina Gaby (the editor). Tempted to give this one more star only because Gaby's essay tied everything together so well. Would like to read more by her specifically.
Gail M
Jun 13, 2015 rated it liked it
Lots of stories about women who were unfriended and, generally, not clear on what exactly had happened. Would have been nice to have complimentary stories from women who did the unfriending and what those circumstances were.

Pamela Cespedes
Jun 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
So sad how relatable they all are
Zev
Jan 16, 2018 rated it it was ok
I expected something different from this book somehow. Oh well.
Diana
Dec 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book very much. The stories were thoughtful and well written.
Roxanne Kade
Mar 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The bond between two friends is very powerful, so when one just ups and leaves without a valid reason why, it can be heartbreaking and emotional, even more so than when a romantic relationship. I'm lucky enough to not have suffered anything to drastic like completely losing a friend but I remember a time in high school when my girls decided I'd done something wrong and shunned me for an entire week. It felt dreadful and lonely.

This book shares stories of different types of "break-ups". Some shoc
I'd So Rather Be Reading {Nat}
Feb 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2015
Have you ever been dumped by a friend? Maybe you never found out why. Maybe you knew why...but she wouldn't return your calls or let you apologize. Maybe she just vanished. All of these examples of real-life situations are explored in Dumped.

I was excited to read this book because, quite frankly, I have been dumped by a friend and that hurts. I think all women at some point in their life, have lost friendships without knowing exactly why. We'll never be inside someone else's head, or know what
Sheela Word
A stellar collection of literary essays about the pain and mystery of lost relationships. Two will be particularly hard for me to forget: (1) Suzanne Herman's chillingly poetic (and perhaps somewhat fictional?) narrative of how she dumped her beloved childhood friend under the worst circumstances, for no apparent reason, and without remorse; and (2) Ann Hood's agonized and uncomprehending howl over the sudden death of her five-year-old daughter and the subsequent implacable withdrawal of her lon ...more
HOW DID THIS BOOK GET HERE? HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA.

Ha.

hooooo

But for real though, I ain't got no problem with any of these women, except for the Crone. She was a twerp and I'm glad they threw her special snowflake over. Oh, you're sad because you dear friend who is suffering from horrific mental deterioration said some angry time words at you and all your other, lesser friends didn't toss her over instead? OUT OF THE BOOK.

The rest of you guys? I'm so sorry. I know how it is, and it's the wors
Migdalia Jimenez
Jun 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book of stories on friendships found and lost was uneven and unrelenting yet compelling in it's variety and depth of feeling. When I first started this book, I thought it would just be interesting, but as I kept reading, my own memories of losing treasured friendships were dredged up leaving me feeling raw and melancholic. Although as an overall read, it was enjoyable, I did feel a little wrung out after reading so many friendship tales with sad endings.
Laurie Prim
Mar 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
A collection of first-hand accounts of being unfriended, and not the Facebook kind. More like being full-on, unceremoniously discarded by someone from whom you never in a million years expected it. It happened to me last year, but I never knew it happened frequently enough to be a “thing.” Sad, but it’s always nice to know you’re not alone.
Mary
Sep 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
I found this collection well worth my time. I did skim a few of the stories (writing was awkward, sometimes I found details tedious). I've lost quite a few female friends over the years and am still so mystified about several of them. But though I'm glad I read this, I don't feel very consoled about the ongoing losses in my life.
Allie Smith
Feb 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: anthology
Review coming soon...
Lori
Jul 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a must read for ALL women. True female friends will be receiving this book as a gift from me for years to come :)
Kathleen
May 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic! A subject that we all know is out there, & do not want to talk about!! Refreshing to know that it is not just me.
Dynah Thirst
Jul 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
3.5.
Almira
Jan 23, 2016 rated it liked it
This book made me feel very sad. I still was unable to find the answers I was looking for about being unfriended. I do respect the honesty of all the authors in the book.
Mary
Feb 05, 2016 rated it liked it
I found something in each story that rung true...
« previous 1 3 4 next »

$7.99 $1.99
    $27.99 $2.99
  • Waiter Rant: Thanks for the Tip-Confessions of a Cynical Waiter
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Dakota: A Spiritual Geography (Dakotas)
  • Restless: Because You Were Made for More