Start by marking “Being with Dying: Cultivating Compassion and Fearlessness in the Presence of Death” as Want to Read:

In this long-awaited book of inspiring and practical teachings, Buddhist teacher Joan Halifax offers the fruits of her many years of work with dying people. Inspired by traditional Buddhist teachings, her work is a source of wisdom for all those who are charged with a dying person's care, who are facing their own death, or who are wishing to explore and contemplate the tra ...more
Published July 29th 2008 by Shambhala (first published April 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Being with Dying, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Being with Dying

Start your review of Being with Dying: Cultivating Compassion and Fearlessness in the Presence of Death
Jenny (Reading Envy)
Jun 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is an excellent text for anyone facing death (in a more specific way than the way everyone is headed towards death) or who will be handling the emotions and stress involved in someone else who is dying, especially someone close to you. The underlying philosophy is Buddhist but the practical mindfulness techniques included in each chapter would be helpful to people in any belief system (or lack there of.) How to let go. How to take care of yourself. How to be present with another person's ex ...more
Judy Croome
Mar 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Caregivers
BEING WITH DYING is specifically aimed at professional caregivers, but non-professional caregivers, such as family members and friends who provide caregiving for a dying person, will find excellent support to guide them along their spiritual path.

With unflinching honesty and deep compassion for the dying person, Halifax explores all the aspects of dying and death that, in being with a dying person, a caregiver may experience. She deals with the spiritual, physical, mental and emotional processes
Jane B.
Jul 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book was so inspiring, both as it helped me look at the Buddhist approach to being with someone who is dying and looking at my own mortality. The most significant learning for me was the author's three most significant tenets of being with the dying: not knowing, bearing witness, and compassionate action. I try to take a minute and focus on these before I visit a Hospice patient...and these tenets help me be in the best possible place for these visits.
Kelley
Apr 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I'm very eager to read this one, as it seems most aligned with how I want to approach my mother's death.

This book was so helpful in how we cared for my mother in her last days. It gave me the confidence I needed to let her go and make sure she knew we'd be ok. Of course, I'm not entirely convinced I will be ok at least, not anytime soon.
Bg
Oct 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful, accessible, simple and very useful.
Essential reading for any of us mortal beings!!
Robert Stevens
Jan 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The closer of the book sums up the book:

“Life and death are of supreme importance. Time passes swiftly and opportunity is lost. Let us awaken, awaken....Do not squander your life.” (Zen Night Chant)

“Being With Dying” (*****) pursues making death about life in that they are one in the same. The taboo of death in our culture hurts more than it helps. This book provides a path to change that in ourselves and as we face death with others. This book reminds us of the importance of now and of the impe
Collette
Jan 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a great spiritual book. I think I am more buddhist than any other religion, and I love this books focus on meditation and being in the present...a great read on the side while I am finishing up the very long and intense fiction book I'm reading!
Joanne Mcleod
Feb 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is excellent in blending the practices of mindfulness with being in the presence of death and impermanence. One of the concluding paragraphs best sums up the theme of this book as a 'practice' for our own death: "For practicing dying is also practicing living, if we can only realize it. The more truly we can see this, the better we can serve those who are actively dying and offer them our love without condition."
Debbie
Jul 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful and deeply moving journey
Into dying and living. If you want to know how to BE with one who is ill or dying and if your scared,angry, in despair, feeling inadequate or useless or just plain bewildered at what to do or be in the face of end of this life....Read this book by someone who has spent her life learning what it means to live and die.
My words are sadly inadequate to describe what she shares so perfectly.
I will share this book with as many as want it💜
Chris
May 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I've wanted to read this book for some time and I'm glad I finally did. If you are caring for someone or you yourself or terminally ill or you just want to feel more prepared on either account, you don't have to be Buddhist to get so much out of this book. The narrative and meditations tie together, Joan's expertise and experience on dying is, what's the word, honest and kind, final and hopeful.
Toni Rahman
Jan 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
I loved this book. As a fifty-something, I hope to have a few more decades to tread this earth, but the wisdom in Joan's book helped me with that perennial nagging that began for me in my fourties that hinted that it was "all downhill from here." Beautifully written. Full of practical and heartfelt gifts from someone who has lived what she teaches.

Stephanie
Oct 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
10 stars!
Ann Augustine
Apr 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very enlightening, thought provoking. Lessons to be learned at any stage of living.
Shaina
Apr 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very profound. Definitely a must read.
Jeanne Higgins
Dec 27, 2018 rated it liked it
A lot of information about the dying process. Written from a Buddhist perspective. Couldn't track with the meditative practices with each chapter.
Mark
Jul 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Simple and straightforward as well as rich and deep. Wonderful.
Jacqueline Kolanko
Aug 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was gifted to me after a beloved family member passed away. It helped me deal with grieving and loss. It also helps you come to terms with your own mortality.
Teo 2050
2019.10.23–2019.10.29

Contents

Halifax J (1997) (08:26) Being with Dying - Cultivating Compassion and Fearlessness in the Presence of Death

Foreword

Introduction: Healing the Divide

Part I: Uncharted Territory

01. A Path of Discovery: The Lucky Dark
• Meditation: How Do You Want to Die?

02. The Heart of Meditation: Language and Silence
• Meditation: Strong Back, Soft Front

03. Overcoming the Porcupine Effect: Moving Past Fear into Tenderness
• Meditation: Mercy—Exchanging Self with Other

04. The Wooden Pupp
Chanita.Shannon
Buddhist teacher Joan Halifax's work is a source of wisdom for those who wish to explore and contemplate the transformative power of the dying process, as well as those who are charged with a dying person's care or facing their own death. ... She notes that all of us will ultimately have to deal with the loss of parents and loved ones and that most of us are largely unprepared emotionally for their deaths. ... The book offers lessons from dying people and caregivers, as well as guided meditation ...more
Monty
Nov 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book presents a Buddhist perspective on death and dying along with tie ins to how our US culture is so fearful of death. I must say that there is something about the way it is written that the prose didn't grab me, and I had to force myself to keep reading. It got easier to follow along towards the second half of the book. In spite of that, the information presented and the meditations suggested (there are meditations at the end of each chapter) are well worth the time. Anita and I will be ...more
Dnicebear
Jan 14, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an important time to review this book considering the suffering and loss of life in Haiti due to a powerful earthquake. I am borrowing this book from Chenoa who is borrowing is from one of her friends. I especially appreciate the meditations suggested after each chapter. The central one "Strong Back, Soft Front" teaches me to let all the dualities of my body teach, lead and inform my hopefully compassionate presence in the world. Practicing many of the phrases in the book helps me locate ...more
Mae
Aug 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I read this book in preparation for a course I was to take with Roshi Joan Halifax at Upaya Zen Center. It is a very important book for everyone to read at least once in their lifetime. Why? Because we all deal with death sooner or later, and we all die eventually. This helps prepare you for when that someone you love is dying. But more importantly, it helps you remember that valuable lesson - it is only through understanding death that we can truly live our own life. Beautiful, Roshi. Thank you ...more
Eileen
Jun 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: end-of-life-care
Have read this book in true book form, and just completed the Kindle version. This is possibly the best guide for people who work in any segment of End-of-Life Care, or for any of us learning about the beauty of living and dying. The meditations are lovely and helpful, and Roshi Joan's words of compassionate connection with all beings stir my heart. During the past 2 1/2 years, I've carried my Kindle with me during hospice volunteering visits, and shall continue to do so.
Lisa
Apr 04, 2010 rated it liked it
I may not be spiritually in tune enough to really appreciate this book. The dying process is epic, deep and profound in this author's telling. In my experience as a nurse, it seems to be, more frequently, a simple, peaceful fact of life with suffering alleviated by family presence and medications as much as any spiritual epiphany or breakthrough. I would never advocate for a non-medicated death when there is physical suffering involved.
Karl Nehring
Dec 31, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religion, buddhism
This is a really helpful book with insights about how to approach dealing with people -- including yourself -- facing death. Joan Halifax seasons her text with numerous real-life examples of the kinds of problems that may arise and the approaches that might help to overcome them. This is a book for both the living and the dying, and given that we are all both, it is a book for us all.
Helen Lehndorf
Dec 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Exemplary scholarship, clear-sighted wisdom and a persuasive argument for us all to do better around death and dying. Joan Halifax is a formidable writer and academic. I was very inspired by this book.
Melissa Ann Goodwin
Apr 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful book to help with life transitions and accepting the cycles of life. Helpful not just for dealing with situations around death, but also with learning non-attachment and how to navigate difficult times for yourself and loved ones.
J Crossley
This book promotes reducing fear about dying and increasing your compassion. It is a guide for those who face a loved one's death. Rather than exhibit fear and resistance, you can better serve those who are dying by exhibiting compassion, love, and understanding.
Sue
Mar 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This is a wise, tutoring book on being alive, and being with the truths of death, our own someday death and others' deaths. It's a book about being able to live with more freedom and generosity of spirit.
Kathy
Jan 29, 2009 rated it really liked it
This book is written by a Zen priest. She uses Buddhist philosophy to deal with illness, death, family and personal relationships. She is very insightful and I have learned a great deal to help with my work in hospice.

• You Are Awesome: How to Navigate Change, Wrestle with Failure, and Live an Intentional Life
  • It's OK That You're Not OK: Meeting Grief and Loss in a Culture That Doesn't Understand
  • Who Dies?
  • Year of the Monkey
  • Committed: A Skeptic Makes Peace with Marriage
  • The Art of Living
  • Waiting for God
  • Awake at the Bedside: Contemplative Teachings on Palliative and End-of-Life Care
  • Cheese and Culture: A History of Cheese and Its Place in Western Civilization
  • Spirit in Session: Working with Your Client’s Spirituality (and Your Own) in Psychotherapy
  • Classic Sourdoughs, Revised: A Home Baker's Handbook
  • The Whole30 Friends  Family: 150 Recipes for Every Social Occasion
  • Mijn meneer
Joan Halifax is a Zen Buddhist teacher, anthropologist, ecologist, civil rights activist, hospice caregiver, and the author of several books on Buddhism and spirituality. She currently serves as abbot of Upaya Zen Center in Santa Fe, New Mexico. Halifax has received dharma transmission from both Bernard Glassman and Thich Nhat Hanh, and studied under Korean master Seung Sahn. In the 1970s she coll ...more

News & Interviews

“Life-threatening illness calls us to a place—metaphorically a desert or mountain peak—where, as we sit, the hard wind of reality strips away all the trappings of life, like so much clothing, makeup, and accessories.” 2 likes
“Conceptual knowledge is so valued in our world. Yet in many cultures wisdom is equated not with knowledge but with an open heart. And” 2 likes