Jump to ratings and reviews

Grimm's Circle #8

Furious Fire

He is the love of all her lives…

Grimm’s Circle, Book 8

Thomas Finn, troublemaker, gunslinger, guardian angel…loner. More than a hundred and fifty years ago, he was shot in the back then brought back to life just in time to watch a demon masquerading as his best friend kill the love of his life.

Now, as a Grimm, he satisfies his need for vengeance hunting down demons like the ones that took Rebecca from him. His mission: kill as many as he can, then, when the time comes, go down in a blaze of glory. But with each kill, he comes closer to a line no angel should cross.

Her name was Rebecca. Then it was Tilly. Then Ada. Now, Kallypso. She’s lived so many lives, she can’t even remember when or why it started. All she knows is, she’s always searching for a man with golden eyes that make her burn. And when she finds him—as she always does—she knows that spark of joy means she’s only seconds away from death…again.

This time will be no different…unless something breaks the cycle once and for all.

Warning: Contains the Groundhog Day of star-crossed lovers, a pissed-off guardian angel, a demon-hunter with an axe to grind, and the battle to end all battles. Be warned…there’s pain ahead in this book. Oh, and that HEA finally happens. For these two, anyway.

271 pages, ebook

First published November 11, 2014

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Shiloh Walker

197 books2,433 followers
Hello... thanks for swinging by. I don't log into Goodreads much, so if you have questions, please visit my website to email me through my site.
Thank you!

My other me.... J.C. Daniels

And an experimental me that I put to sleep. J. Dallas

Bio...

Shiloh Walker has been writing since she was a kid. She fell in love with vampires with the book Bunnicula and has worked her way up to the more...ah...serious vampire stories. She loves reading and writing anything paranormal, anything fantasy, and nearly every kind of romance. Once upon a time she worked as a nurse, but now she writes full time and lives with her family in the Midwest.

To contact the author, please visit her website!

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
1 (1%)
1 star
1 (1%)
Displaying 1 - 7 of 7 reviews
Profile Image for Shelbie  Knight.
155 reviews
December 9, 2014
I've been thinking about this review for over a week, conflicted on how exactly to proceed. There's so much happening, as the series comes to an end, with a lot of questions finally answered, and, naturally, even more questions created, just teasing us, waiting to be answered in the final book.

In writing the review, the issue I faced was not a problem with the story, the plot or the characters. Rather, I was seeking a way to tell you how incredible Furious Fire is without giving anything away. It really is good enough that I don't want to spoil even a bit of it for those who have yet to read Furious Fire. And what an apt title that is!

So, I decided that a summary would work best, giving not a lot more than what you could read in a blurb.

Thomas Finn has been casting about for quite a while and he's always been an intriguing and mysterious, his identity the one thing I had yet to define. It turns out that, out of all of the ideas that ran through my feeble mind, I was never even close. Shiloh pulled a good trick on me on this one; it's not very often that I am so far off-base regarding a character - and there is nothing more thrilling, as a reader, than having the hood pulled over you.

Sadly, Finn is, mentally, on his last legs. He is filled with all-consuming anger and guilt over the loss of his beloved Rebecca, carrying it around with him like over-stuffed luggage ready to burst. Star-crossed lovers they are, but Finn and Rebecca's story is not over yet. Only Finn doesn't know this - yet.

Kalypso has lived several times since she was last Rebecca. During each of her incarnations, her soul is compelled to find Finn, which only leads to a never-ending loop of disaster; within hours, days or weeks after finding Finn, she dies. Repeatedly.

Finn and Kalypso's story is told in a series of memories, in both first and third POV (point of view). Their story unfolds beautifully, naturally and the flashbacks draw you further into their past, present and future. Shiloh is masterful in her creation of their story and never once did I get lost during the transition from past to present. It's that well written.

In the end, we finally learn what occurred that tore these star-crossed lovers apart and how the events set them on they journey...and who Finn really is...or was. No, I'm not saying more - you have to read Furious Fire to find out! =)

And, as if the evolution of their story is not enough, the Grimm is very busy; demons are getting bolder and, while one Warrior's gifts evolve, another has to make the supreme sacrifice. Woooo! *cue titillating music*

That is really all I can say about the story without giving away too much. If you haven't had the opportunity to read this series, I highly recommend it. Even if you don't want to start at the beginning of the series, this book can easily, and enjoyably, be read as a stand-alone.

While I am looking forward to the wrap of this series, simply so I can have all of my questions answered once and for all, I will miss it greatly.

Grimm's Circle is masterfully created and written - Highly Recommend!
Profile Image for Becky.
2,939 reviews122 followers
November 4, 2014
Reviewed on my blog, Becky on Books for 11/4/14.

Oh my goodness, this book takes you on one wild ride! (Note to self: try not to leave the MOST INTENSE PART OF A GRIMM'S CIRCLE BOOK for your lunch break, especially when said lunch break is scheduled to end smack dab in the middle of that part! It's a miracle I survived until my afternoon fifteen minute one.)

I'm new to the series, but once the story got rolling it immediately drew me right in. It did take me a bit longer to figure out who everyone was--an issue that people who've been with the series all along obviously won't have--but I was able to jump into the world that Ms. Walker has created here fairly quickly, all things considered.

Naturally, I'm now on fire (respectful nod to Finn, the hottest hero out there ;)) to read the rest of the books in the series--fairy tale/paranormal mashups? Yes, please!--and maybe that will keep me distracted enough to not obsess overmuch about when book nine is going to be available.

Because after reading this one, you're going to need book nine to come out. Soon. Our main couple in this book, Finn and Kalypso/Rebecca (best heroine name ever, IMHO) get to a happy-for-now (barring disaster in the next book), but the stars of book nine are left in limbo.

Literally.

There are so many neat things about this book--finding out what famous characters our hero and heroine inspired, the tragic "Groundhog Day" existence that their love life has been so far, the fantastic world of the Grimm's Circle characters, the epic battle the entire Circle has to engage in, and the amazing sacrifices these characters are willing to make to save those they care about and oh yeah, the whole world--honestly, I could go on about it for days.

But I won't--because I'm not going to give any of it away. You'll have to read it for yourself...next week, on its release day. ;)

Rating: 4 1/2 stars / A

I received a complimentary copy in exchange for an honest review.
Profile Image for Jennifer  (BTH Reviews).
498 reviews18 followers
May 8, 2015
I received a free copy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.
Review Courtesy of: Books That Hook

I’ll have to admit that I wasn’t a fan of the book at the beginning. It started with a lot of internal monologue and shifting points of view that were hard to follow. I thought it was strange to start a story with so much character history and no clear goal. But…

By chapter two, it all came into focus for me. In this chapter, the reader learns that the Grimms are facing a very serious demon threat. I was so glad I kept reading! It kept getting better and better. By the middle of the story, I was totally engrossed. It was easy to relate to the characters after learning about them. The author made it easy for someone to jump in, even if the person hasn’t read previous books.

There are some things about the book that might bother some readers. 1) It shifts point-of-view a lot. 2) Sometimes it is written in first person, sometimes it is written in third person. 3) not many setting details. 4) lots of flashbacks.

On the other hand, there are a lot of things that I think readers will like. 1) It’s easy to become emotionally involved in this story. I felt sorry for Finn and some of the other characters. 2) There are some moments that make you smile when Finn momentarily forgets his grief. 3) Vivid descriptions of demons that make them truly frightening. 4) Good suspense building and foreboding. I was worried about what would happen to the characters when going against so many demons.

Although it didn’t grab me right away, it was definitely worth reading. I recommend it to people who like paranormal romance and/or urban fantasy. I feel like the story has some elements of both. If you like a love story with ass-kicking of demons mixed in, give Furious Fire a try.
Profile Image for Hannah.
1,980 reviews28 followers
November 6, 2014
Another Grimm-tastic book from the brain of Shiloh Walker. Shiloh Walker has a captivating narrative, with in the first words I was pulled in to the world of angels and demons. With the series almost over so much happens in this story. It switches from first to third person and from present to flashback and is a nonstop adventure. Mark Twain based his story on the adventures of two young boys he meet, Thomas Finn regrets ever telling him those stories. Finn loved and lost Rebecca, lost her to his best friend Sawyer, who turned out to be possessed by a demon. Rebecca has always been his torment, she has been reincarnated over and over again always dying shortly after coming back together with Finn. Each of her incarnations she remembers more and more this latest one she remembers enough to become a bad-ass demon hunter.

Will, the leader of the Grimm, comes across Rebecca's most recent incarnation, Kalypso Carfax, first and is determined to keep her and Finn apart and break the cycle they keep living. But Kaly doen't leave well enough alone and almost kills herself hijacking a ride with Will. Kaly knows immediately Finn but it takes him some time to figure it out. But their problems are pushes to the side as they are faced with a giant opening releasing countless demons. Will has gathered all the Grimm for an epic-like battle and a drastic end.

I absolutely loved this book, but it's Shiloh Walker I'm not surprised I loved it.
Profile Image for Kelly at.
1,136 reviews13 followers
November 11, 2014
Review will be posted at www.books-n-kisses.com .

NUMBER OF HEARTS: 4
REVIEW:
Another great Grimm story from Shiloh. Furious Fire takes us on a wild ride of Thomas Finn’s life. And boy howdy there was a lot about Finn that I didn’t know. Finn and Kalypso’s story is heart breaking story of love and loss after loss after loss. I will admit there were tears and gasps of “oh god no!!” moments in this book.

I am really sad to see the Grimm series coming to an end and I have a feeling that the next book will be beyond epic. The events that happened in Furious Fire it leaves a lot more questions than answers about the whole Grimm world.

If you have not started the Grimm books I would suggest starting from the beginning. The stories may be able to stand on their own but there is an on going story through out all the books. I can’t wait to see what is next.

Disclaimer:
I received a complimentary copy of this book from NetGalley & Samhain Publishing in exchange for an honest review. This review is my own opinion and not a paid review.
Profile Image for Krissys.
1,424 reviews87 followers
April 3, 2015
I received a digital copy in exchange for an honest review from Samhain and Netgalley.

Is Grimms on book 8 already? I can't believe its coming to an end which is wild because Shiloh has added more to it that could be built on for more books in the future even though it isn't quite over yet I think it'll tie into the next book. I think Furious Fire has been the best installment of them all. Furious Fire is exciting, its passionate, its filled with mystery and intensity. But it also has quite a bit of underlying sadness in it as well. Its great when an author can create such high emotions in their readers. I really enjoyed it.
I have to say that new readers probably won't be able to follow the story well since there is a lot that goes on in the Grimm world that pertains to the previous books and on going characters that regular readers are familiar with.
Profile Image for Gina.
278 reviews19 followers
November 22, 2014
I love the Grimm series and while I'm sad that this is the second to last Grimm story I'm very happy that Shiloh is writing the stories to wrap up this series rather than end it without a conclusion. That said OMG it's fantastic! I've been waiting for Finn's story since we met him and I wasn't disappointed. There was mystery and suspense and it was so intense I couldn't stop reading and the ending made me cry....yes Shiloh is evil that way. If this (the second to last) was intense I'm on pins and needles waiting for the last book in this wonderful series.
Displaying 1 - 7 of 7 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.