Start by marking “Christ on Trial: How the Gospel Unsettles Our Judgement” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Christ on Trial: How t...

Rowan Williams

Christ on Trial: How the Gospel Unsettles Our Judgement

The trial, conviction, and death of an innocent man 2,000 years ago have particular resonance today. Atrocities from around the world shake us nearly every day, and we all experience trials in our own lives too. In this book the new Archbishop of Canterbury looks in depth at the trial of Jesus, using it to teach readers how to face the challenges of life in today's trying ...more
Unknown Binding
Published June 1st 2003 by Adventurekeen (first published July 11th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Christ on Trial, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Christ on Trial

Ben Crosby
Mar 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An excellent little volume looking at each of the Gospel's trial narratives. It seems to me that there is some definite influence from Bonhoeffer here, to good effect. Good, contemplative Lenten reading.
Cody Wright
Nov 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great insights into the nature of the trials of Christ throughout the Gospel narratives. Dense with spiritual concepts and challenges.
Matt King
Jan 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
To put it simply, this book is everything I thought it would be before I picked it up. A very thoughtful, in depth, illuminating analysis of Christ's trial accounts. In addition to the accounts that you expect (from the four Gospel accounts) they also have a section on martyrs and the trial of Christ from "The Grand Inquisitor" (part of the Brothers Karamazov).

As the Brothers K is my favorite novel, I was enthralled to learn midway through reading the book that this was a chapter that was inclu
Benedict
This is a powerful little book, which has changed and deepened the way I look at the trial of Jesus in the Gospels. Over and over again, it provided me with clear language for things I've believed through my life, as well as challenges that have taught me about faith. I can't recommend this enough for Christians, and it was particularly strong for me to read it (in its intended time) as a Lenten devotion, and helpful to do so along with a class.

It also struck me as remarkably "Anglican" in a way
Andrew
Nov 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spirituality
I found this to be a powerful and wonderful little book. It explores the trial of Jesus from the different perspective of the four Gospels and challenges the reader to reflect on their own encounter with "Christ on trial". What does such an encounter tell us about who Jesus was and indeed who we are? Refreshingly and discomfortingly challenges our expectations of life. Highly recommend to any serious thinker - whether a person of faith or an atheist.
Daniel
May 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: theology
A brilliant look at the trial scenes in each of the Gospels. While at times this book could be accused of atomism, Rowan Williams does an excellent job at keeping the reader staring into the face of Jesus on trial beyond what feels comfortable. It is here in the long gazing into the arrested Lord that one is able to see more clearly the nature of the Kingdom of God and therefore, also, the ethic to which his followers are called to live out.
Brandon Wilkins
I like the concept behind the book- a look at each Gospel writer's account of Jesus' trial, drawing out the distinctive themes of each one with application to how we perpetuate those same errant judgments.

Williams is insightful and brilliant at times. However, the book suffers in my opinion from being too vague on many points.
M. Todd Webster
Rowan Williams, former Archbishop of Canterbury, bases these reflections for Lent and Holy Week around the trial narratives of the four canonical Gospels. He draws out rich meaning on the themes of sin and judgment. I know I will re-read these reflections on the trial narratives of the Gospels in Holy Weeks to come. Williams is a brilliant theologian whose writing always touches me deeply.
Sylvia
Mar 20, 2008 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Picked this up at The Regulator bookstore in North Carolina. Rowan Williams is the Arch-Bishop of Canterbury and is a sturdy theologian, strong thinker and good writer...I always pick his books up. Eddy introd'd me to him...a good find.

Chris
Feb 24, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very thoughtful and edifying devotional work.
Melanie
Elke keer als ik een boek van Rowan Williams heb gelezen, bekijk ik de wereld en mezelf weer een beetje anders. Ik ben fan.
Emmielle
Mar 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enlightening, inspiring, comprehensive,..a thoroughly practical book with reflection questions at the end of each chapter.
Sara Dawoud
rated it did not like it
Apr 08, 2018
Noelle
Nov 25, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Noelle by: school
Shelves: theology
Thoughtful analysis of the gospel accounts of Christ. My favorite book, so far, by Williams.
John Forman
Jun 09, 2010
James
Aug 01, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Rowan Douglas Williams, Baron Williams of Oystermouth, is an Anglican bishop, poet, and theologian. He was Archbishop of Canterbury from December 2002-2012, and is now Master of Magdalene College, Cambridge and Chancellor of the University of South Wales.
“I long for the Church to be more truly itself, and for me this involves changing its stance on war, sex, investment and many other difficult matters. I believe in all conscience that my questions and my disagreements are all of God. Yet I must also learn to live in and attend to the reality of the Church as it is, to do the prosaic things that can be and must be done now and to work at my relations now with the people who will not listen to me or those like me—because what God asks of me is not to live in the ideal future but to live with honesty and attentiveness in the present, i.e., to be at home.

"What if the project in question is myself, and not some larger social question such as war? At the end of the day, it is the central concern for most of us. We long to change and to grow, and we are rightly suspicious of those who are pleased with the way they are and cannot seem to conceive of changing any further. Yet the torture of trying to push away and overcome what we currently are or have been, the bitter self-contempt of knowing what we lack, the postponement of joy and peace because we cannot love ourselves now—these are not the building blocks for effective change. We constantly try to start from somewhere other than where we are. Truthful living involves being at home with ourselves, not complacently but patiently, recognizing that what we are today, at this moment, is sufficiently loved and valued by God to be the material with which he will work, and that the longed-for transformation will not come by refusing the love and the value that is simply there in the present moment.

"So we come back, by a longish detour, to the point to which Mark's narrative brought us: the contemplative enterprise of being where we are and refusing the lure of a fantasized future more compliant to our will, more satisfying in the image of ourselves that it permits. Living in the truth, in the sense in which John's Gospel gives it, involves the same sober attention to what is there—to the body, the chair, the floor, the voice we hear, the face we see—with all the unsatisfactoriness that this brings. Yet this is what it means to live in that kingdom where Jesus rules, the kingdom that has no frontiers to be defended. Our immersion in the present moment which is God's delivers the world to us—and that world is not the perfect and fully achieved thing we might imagine, but the divided and difficult world we actually inhabit. Only, by the grace of this living in the truth, we are able to say to it at least an echo of the 'yes' that God says, to accept as God accepts.”
0 likes