Start by marking “A Trick of the Mind” as Want to Read:
A Trick of the Mind

A Trick of the Mind

Have you committed a crime ...or are you the victim of one?

Published September 11th 2014 by Simon & Schuster Ltd

To ask other readers questions about A Trick of the Mind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Trick of the Mind

Maxine (Booklover Catlady)
When do secrets and lies become damaging? I liked this book, didn't love it, but found it an easy read. The latter half of the book stronger than the first.

Driving down to the cottage in Southwold she's newly inherited from her Aunty May, Ellie senses she is on the edge of something new. The life she's always dreamed of living as a successful artist seems as though it is about to begin. So excited is she that she barely notices when the car bumps against something on the road.

Have you committed
Celina Grace
Jan 17, 2015 rated it it was ok
SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS...

What is it with the modern psychological thriller and endings? A Trick of the Mind suffers from exactly the same problem as at least three other modern novels I have recently read, in that a good, tense story is just ruined by an utterly implausible ending. Is it a fashion amongst publishers at the moment, I wonder? Or are these writers just missing their deadlines and thinking "S**t, gotta turn the manuscript in soon, better bosh out a few ridiculous plot twists - j
Bookread2day
Sep 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Five huge big stars from me for A Trick Of The Mind by Penny Hannock!

As Ellie is driving to the cottage she takes her eyes off the road and hits what she beieves is a branch. While Ellie is listening to the radio in the cottage she braces herself as she hears of a hit and run on the very road she used to get to the cottage.

With Ellie full of worry she visits the man in hospital she believes she has run over.

I won't say what happens but tension builds up where I was holding my breath.
Penny H
Elaine
Sep 03, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: psycho
Ellie is on the verge of a new life, having ended a long term relationship which she felt was holding her back, she is on her way to spend the weekend at the cottage in Southwold which has been left to her by her aunt. When she feels her car bump something she thinks it is just a tree branch, until local news reports that a hit and run accident on that same stretch of the road has left someone seriously injured.

Riddled with guilt, but not knowing for sure that she is to blame, she visits the vic
Jo Frost
Apr 21, 2015 rated it it was ok
Sami
Jul 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Mary Lou
Nov 01, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-thrillers
On the back of The Darkening Hour - a classy thriller, I had a go at this one. This is a well written book, but that aside, there is nothing else here for me. I can find no reason why any of the characters do as they do for the entire duration of it.
Jemma
Mar 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was my first experience of Penny Hancock’s work, but it certainly won’t be my last! I was so enthralled by ‘Trick of the Mind’, something about the writing suited me perfectly and I had trouble putting it down – not aided by the fact that so many chapters end in taunting cliff-hangers.

Ellie, a part-time school teacher and aspiring artist, wants a fresh start in her life. After her Aunt May’s death, she inherits her beautiful cottage in Southwold. A few nights before a huge art exhibition wh
Cleopatra  Pullen
An old house with secrets and a need to atone at the heart of Penny Hancock’s new novel. When Ellie is driving along a dark country lane to spend the weekend with friends at the house left to her by her Aunt May she thinks she may have hit something or somebody in the road and so when she realises that a man was seriously injured in a hit and run accident she doesn’t know what to do, eventually she decides to visit the man in hospital. Patrick is lying in hospital, suffering from amnesia and bel ...more
Beadyjan
Oct 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book, it was everything I look for in a twisty tale, with hidden secrets from the past emerging at every turn, flawed characters who turn out not to be everything they at first appear to be and a story that keeps you turning the pages. What more could you possibly want in a book? A cute loveable dog perhaps - it has that too in the ever present canine companion Pepper.

Like Penny Hancocks earlier novel, Tideline, the author draws on her own obvious connection with the river and her o
sue
Sep 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: net-galley
What an absolutely absorbing read! This gripped me, this kept me turning pages, this had me at first chapter.

Here we have Ellie, she has inherited a house on the sea front in Southwold. How excited she is, sad that her auntie has died, but excited to have a new life experience open to her. She has the same talent as her aunt, they both paint. Ellie is a school teacher, but she also would love to take her talent as an artist to another level.

Whilst travelling down a country dark lane on her way t
Lou Robinson
Dec 13, 2015 rated it it was ok
I keep persevering with Penny Hancock, because I do like the settings for her books. Real parts of London. BUT, and it's a big but, I find her characters really quite unbelievable. Either that, or really really stupid. So was between a 2 and 3 star read, I did finish the book and it wasn't dreadful, promising storyline, poor execution.
Erica
Dec 31, 2014 rated it it was ok
Ellie is an unconvincing character - too gullible. Plot is predictable and there are way too many exclamation marks. Meh.
Tracy Shephard
Feb 12, 2016 rated it liked it
Ellie has inherited her Aunty Mays house, a little rundown, but it's near the sea and Ellie has fond memories of her childhood there.

After her Aunt committed suicide, Ellie decides to have her friends down to the house, and while she was on her way her car hits something. Thinking it was just a branch Ellie continues her journey without another thought.

This episode is the beginning of a nightmare for Ellie and she finds herself 'connected' to Patrick in a way that at times seems surreal.

While re
Linda Wilde
Oct 22, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: may-2016
Lizzie
Mar 17, 2015 rated it did not like it
I hate to give books low scores but I don't think I got on well with this book. The second half picks up and I did start to enjoy it but I had already guessed the rest of the plot by that point. I was also endlessly frustrated by the main character.
Renita D'Silva
Dec 15, 2015 rated it liked it
Penny Hancock is a master at creating suspense and tension. Loved.
DianaAitch
Aug 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Not consumed a book as fast as this for a very long time.

Really enjoyed it!
Rebecca
Sep 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Originally posted on beccasbooooks.blogspot.co.uk

First off, I'd like to say a massive thank you to the publishers for accepting me for a digital copy via Net Galley, and secondly, an even bigger thank you to the brilliant author Penny Hancock, for working her magic.

I don't tend to read books like this that often. As you already know, my usual much-loved genre is the lovey-dovey type, where a girl and a boy fall hopelessly, head-over-heels in love with each other. So, whenever I decide that it'
Amanda
Sep 29, 2018 rated it it was ok
I like the way Penny Hancock writes. She weaves past and present, using the natural landscape to build an atmosphere of slow-growing menace. This book was an eye roll of a read at times, with certain plot points coming across as clumsy and obvious, thus making a mockery of the entire story line.

I will read more by Penny Hancock but would hesitate to recommend this because of the plotting. I read a lot of these books and was surprised that a writer of this calibre would pop out a plot with more h
Douglas Osler
Aug 12, 2018 rated it liked it
This is a carefully crafted story,well told. It holds the reader's attention throughout. A good read.
Lesley
Mar 10, 2017 rated it it was ok
Meh
Deb Prins
Feb 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Carole
Oct 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
A Trick of the Mind is Penny Hancock's third novel after Tideline and The Darkening Hour, both of which I haven't read but they seem to be similar psychological thrillers to this.

The story is told by Ellie who has recently split from her boyfriend, she's starting a new life and is travelling to a beach house that she's inherited from her aunt. Driving along a country lane at night she feels a bump but doesn't stop to investigate, she carries on driving. It's only afterwards when she hears on t
Maggie Kiely
Apr 18, 2016 rated it it was ok
Joanne Robertson
Feb 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is the 3rd book from Penny Hancock so I was looking forward to reading it as I have enjoyed both her others and I wasn't disappointed.
Ellie has just inherited a house from her late Aunt May in Southwold. On her way to spend a weekend there with friends while she attends an exhibition of her paintings, she thinks that she may have hit someone in her car. Convincing herself that it was just a tree branch she drives off but later hears on the radio that there is a local man in hospital after a
Ems. (afternoonbookery)
Apr 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is the first book my mum rated 5* on goodreads, which says something, its also the first book she has read in two days, so this had to be a good one, so i knew it was something i had to read straight away.

We meet Ellie as she heads out of town to stay in her aunty mays cottage, driving along she hits something in the road - and then carries on, not thinking all too much of it, but immediately wanting to turn back due to some OCD tendencies - she fights it and arrives at the cottage, waitin
Lucy Perry
Hancock is the master of the neurotic female lead. Her two earlier books ‘Tideline’ and ‘The Darkening Hour’ both feature a woman pushed to her limits and show us that maybe we are all capable of doing unspeakable things given the right set of circumstances and ‘A Trick of the Mind’ certainly continues on that theme.

Have you ever done something and then in trying to undo it, dug yourself into a deeper and deeper hole that becomes increasingly hard to get out of? I think we all have, and that is
Erin Nudi
Oct 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015-books
An excellent story, although I didn't like it as much as Left in the Dark.

This one's about Ellie, a woman in her mid-twenties who just broke up with her boyfriend of five years and is ready to make a new life - working on her art career, and moving into her deceased aunt's house; the aunt committed suicide and left the house to Ellie in her will.

One night, Ellie is driving to her new home when she feels a scrape or bump against the car. She feels compelled to go back and check if she hit someth
Mar 26, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2015
The plot appealed - a woman driving along a road hits a bump. Distracted by excitement about her future, she ignores it. However, later, she hears about a hit and run on the same road she was driving along. Doubt and guilt drive her to strange situations.

However, to me, the book goes downhill from there on. There becomes too much of a focus on "romance". Ellie, the protagonist, I originally found interesting as the way she thought was unique to other novels I had read. Plus her relationships wi
« previous 1 3 next »

• Missing You
  • Your Beautiful Lies
  • Who Are You?
  • The Transformed
  • Project Cyclops
  • A Touch Of Magic
  • Just a Matter of Time
  • The Orlando File (The Orlando File #1-2)
  • Wildewood Revenge (The Wildewood Chronicles, #1)
  • Beyond Time (Highland Secret Series)
  • The Curse of Betrayal (Curse Books, #2)
  • Walls of Silence
  • Forgotten
  • Stop Me
  • For the Forest of a Bird
  • The Principle Of Chance
  • Bubble Screen (Burnside Series # 3)
  • Mayflower Murders
Penny grew up in South East London and then did an English degree in Newcastle Upon Tyne. For several years she taught English as a foreign language in Italy, Greece and Morocco. She then took a PGCE, got a job as a Primary school teacher in an inner city London school, and moved into her partner Andy’s short-life house in East London, which is now part of the hardcore under the M11 that links the ...more
“I was filled with a sense of doom that dragged my heart down into my boots” 0 likes