Jump to ratings and reviews

The Chair by the Side of the Road

Outside the village, a HUMONGOUS empty chair sat at the side of the road. The villagers tell stories of a nice little boy, Luka, the son of the grocer, who became a giant. Every year he grew twice as big as the year before and the villagers, who were only two feet tall, worried that he would destroy their village. They built a house in the woods and a big chair for him where he could sit by the road and do no damage. Luka was miserable sitting by himself but one day a big dog came along and changed everything! This is a story of how it feels to be on the outside looking in... about the frustration that comes when you feel 'different'... and how the love of family can give you strength. Luka shows us that family can come in many forms... even in the shape of a humongous dog!

ebook

First published August 20, 2014

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Adrian Hawaleshka

3 books4 followers
A life-long Manitoban, I have been writing stories for as long as I can remember.
Although my career path has taken me in a different direction (medicine; anesthesiology), I have not found anything that fulfills me spiritually as much as 'putting pen to paper'.

The idea for my first children's book came from my interactions with my nephew Maksym when he was 3 years old. There is a giant chair by the side of a highway in Manitoba that had been placed there as a part of an engineering project at the U.of Manitoba. My nephew was terrified of it: 'Who sits in it? Why is he watching me?' At the time, I thought that this would be an excellent idea for a children's story. The idea grew into a story with every drive past that chair during the summer.

With the birth of my son Luka and the support of my wife Joleen, I was inspired to finally write my first children's book. I hope there are many more to come.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
4 stars
3 stars
1 (100%)
2 stars
1 star
0 (0%)
No one has reviewed this book yet.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.