Start by marking “Gone (Gardner and Freeman, #2)” as Want to Read:
Gone (Gardner and Freeman, #2)

Gone

(Gardner and Freeman #2)

Emma Thorley is gone...but not forgotten. GONE is a twisty story of murder, guilt and unintended consequences from an exciting new crime novelist.

250,000 people go missing in the UK every year.
91% of those reported to police are found within 48 hours.
99% of cases are solved within a year.

And 1% stay gone.

Eleven years ago, troubled teenager Emma Thorley went missing. The po
Published January 15th 2015 by Mulholland Books (first published January 1st 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Gone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gone

Bookread2day
Feb 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing

A staggering 250,000 people go missing in the UK every year. 91% of those reported to the police are found within 48 hours. 99% of cases are solved within a year. And 1% stay gone.

I loved reading Gone by Rebecca Muddiman she certainly weaves some clever twist that no one would see coming.

Eleven years ago when Emma Thorley went missing DI Michael Gardner didn't take her disappearance seriously, but he is determined to make up for it now. As a body has been found in the woods near Blyth with Emma
Christine
Jan 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Thanks to Mulholland Books and Bookbridgr for my lovely copy of ‘Gone’.

There is something rather fascinating about a missing person case. It is the element of mystery and speculation. And Rebecca Muddiman brings this to life in her new novel.

Rebecca Muddiman explores a missing person investigation, in two time frames. Emma Thorley was a teenager, who disappeared eleven years ago. Emma’s disappearance was not taken that seriously. She was a troubled young teenager and had gone off the rails, afte
Nov 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
I actually won a copy of this book in a Goodreads giveaway, so thank you to Goodreads and the publisher.

This is the first book I have actually read by this author. Even though it is the second in a series it easily reads as a stand alone.

The book is made up of pretty short chapters, I think the longest being three or four pages, this made it feel like quite a fast paced read as I flew through the book. Obviously it helps that it was a gripping read also.

I really enjoyed the story line of a missi
Liz Barnsley
Dec 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
An extremely clever and addictive mystery story to be found here, another great crime novel and it kept me on my toes throughout. I have been lucky lately to find a lot of new crime novels, one of my favourite genres - this is a top notch addition to my must read authors list.

Some brilliantly drawn characters lead us along - the most fascinating of which is one Lucas Yates, someone who has a past with missing teen Emma Thorley - now presumed dead - and who was not that fond of her. Then we have
Thebooktrail
Following on from her success with Stolen - the winner of the 2010 Northern Crime Writers competition in 2012 has done it again and places the North East on the North East Noir map.

Read the review with map here - Gone in the North East

The book opens in Middlesbrough and Blyth as we meet a series of characters who have just heard the news -

“The body was found in woods near Blyth earlier today”

Their reactions to it could not be more different and the trail of suspicion starts to weave and coil it
Book Addict Shaun
Dec 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Wow. That's the only word I can think of to start this review, and to say that I wish I was better at writing them as this one will be short! I'm writing this review a few days before the end of 2014, and already I feel that I've read some of 2015's best books, one of which will surely be Gone. Rebecca has written a brilliant story here, one that definitely kept me on my toes throughout. It's a story that had me thinking one thing when I should have been thinking something totally different. I a ...more
Lynda Kelly
May 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another cracking book by this author although I preferred Stolen so couldn't give this the 5* as well. I've just downloaded book 3 in the series, too.
There are a lot of little twists in this and almost everybody is a suspect or is up to something they shouldn't be which keeps your interest superbly. I was a little annoyed at Gardner, actually, as he did a rubbish job on investigating Emma's disappearance eleven years before. My favourite character was Ben....a nice guy who inadvertently got hims
Pat
Nov 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this, its what I would call a 'quiet' thriller. It got quite suspenseful towards the end but the entire story was infused with enough drama to keep you turning the pages.

The body of a teenage girl is found in a shallow grave. There is not much of it left but police believe it to be Emma Thorley who had disappeared 11 years ago. DS Niccola Freeman is on the case and tries to contact everyone who knew Emma to see if anyone can remember anything relevant. This brings her to Lucas Y
Colette Lamberth
Oct 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed Stolen and always planned to read the follow up and can’t believe it’s been nearly 2 years. To be honest I have read so much in the intervening period that this was like starting over and the author gives you enough of the characters’ back story to make that possible. I have a bit of a soft spot for DI Gardner and I definitely warmed to DS Freeman as the book went on. This all felt like it could really happen, particularly the way the police officers acted with one another. It f ...more
Storm
Jan 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
This one gets straight in there with the discovery of a young girl's body, believed to be that of Emma Thorley, a local girl who disappeared 11 years ago aged 16.

Initially, police suspect she was murdered by her violent thug of an ex-boyfriend, Lucas, the local drug dealer and generally all round nasty piece of work. However, more suspects do start to work their way out of the woodwork; such as Ben, a local drug therapist who was straddling the line of appropriate behaviour whilst working with
Samantha Kilford
Sep 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sent-to-me
For this review and more bookish posts visit my blog here

Thank you to Mulholland Books for sending me a copy of Gone in exchange for an honest review.

A gripping and well written British crime story, Gone was just absolutely phenomenal.

I haven't read anything from Rebecca Muddiman before, but after devouring this over the space of three days I might have to pick up her other book Stolen which is part of the same series as Gone. Muddiman's writing is just compelling and I can assure you that if y
Megan Readinginthesunshine
Dec 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I am new to Rebecca Muddiman and her novels, and the description of Gone particularity had me intrigued to the point where I couldn’t wait to open the book and start reading!

11 years ago, troubled teenager Emma Thorley went missing. The police assumed she was a runaway. But now a body has been found in woods near Blyth. DI Michael Gardner knows he didn’t take Emma’s disappearance seriously enough back then, and is determined to make up for it now. But when he and DS Nicola Freeman start to rein
Jo Barton
Jul 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
When the remains of a young woman are unearthed , the police investigation leads the assumption that they are those of Emma Thorley , a teenager who went missing more than eleven years ago. However, as the police investigation gets underway, both DS Nicola Freeman and DI Michael Gardner find that there are more questions than answers , and most of the questions, at the heart of the mystery, seem to revolve around Emma's violent past.

What then follows is a dual time detective story, which reveals
Tracy Shephard
Nov 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Emma disappeared eleven years ago. A body has been found and people are desperately worried that something else might be….their secrets.

DI Michael Gardner and DS Nicola Freeman are having problems of their own and the case to find out who the body is and what happened is taking its toll.

GONE is one of those novels that gives the reader sweaty palms and a beating heart. It is gripping, exciting and the descriptions of 1990 North East England and the people who live there are dank, cold and fearfu
Victoria Goldman
Dec 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Gone is a real page-turner and kept me intrigued all the way through.

The narrative switches between 11 years ago, when teenager Emma disappeared without a trace, and the present day, now that a body has been found. The book is realistic, gritty and tightly-plotted, with plenty of twists and turns and well-developed characters.

The book is packed full of social issues, such as prostitution, drugs, violence and teenage angst. It develops into a race between Lucas (a local drug dealer) and the polic
Nic
May 29, 2017 rated it liked it
⭐⭐⭐

This was an easy to read book, one you can whiz through on holiday for example.

Short chapters, flicking back between two time periods, told from a few key character's points of view.

However this is very 'crime by numbers' - simple story telling, easy to guess the 'twist' about 20% in.

Simple but effective. Wouldn't rush to read another by the author.
Lorna Leicester
I understand the use of short chapters to keep the reader anxious for the next but, in this instance, I was not sufficiently engaged with the characters and found the constant swapping from past to present quite irritating.

As the story unfolded towards the end of the book, it became more enjoyable - seeing events from several viewpoints was good.
Plum-crazy
Mmm...looking at the review ratings for this book it would seem that once again I'm in the minority with my opinions.
As is so often these days, this story covers two timelines, in this case the events leading to the disappearance of Emma Thorley in 1999 & the discovery of a body eleven years on....is it Emma?
DS Nicola Freeman reinvestigates Emma's disappearance roping in one of the officers from the original case, Michael Gardner.

I can't say I found any of the characters particularly well-
Vanessa Boyle
I had never heard of this author but I enjoyed the book will definitely be on the look out for more books. Well written and a great cast of characters with a twist.
Chrissy Prior
Jan 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent
Jenn Brouwer
Dec 27, 2017 rated it it was ok
Slow book, to many characters and not enough action. I can't reccomend this book not sure how it has such good ratings
Lesley
Apr 01, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Muddy and confused writing. I didn't enjoy reading it.
Elizabeth Llata brecht
I picked this up in an airport to keep me busy on a flight, finally got around to reading it. It was an easy read, enjoyable though fairly standard crime story. I read it in about 2 days.
Christopher
Aug 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Painful personal storyline with intriguing twists and switchbacks. Dramatic menacing end story.
Cleopatra  Pullen
Jan 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crime, own, favourite-2015
When the body of a sixteen year old girl is found buried in woods the news that it is Emma Thorley, a girl who went missing eleven years previously is leaked to the media and a number of people around the country are glued to the coverage for reasons known, in the most part only to themselves.

Right from the start there are delays, Emma was adopted and her father, now in his early seventies isn’t clear on the events that surrounded his daughter’s disappearance which had followed the death of her
Michael
Nov 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaways
It seems that to be a police detective in crime fiction a screwed up private life, having an addiction, suffering from guilt or a general alienation from what is considered 'normal' society is a must. If this actually reflects the reality of the British police force that would probably account for their low success rate when real detection is required. However, whatever the obstacles they might face detectives in fiction (nearly) always get their man – or woman.

Those personal failings are prese
Jackie Law
Jan 11, 2015 rated it liked it
Gone, by Rebecca Muddiman, is a crime thriller that does not attempt to portray the forces of law and order in a particularly positive light. Even the more dedicated police officers appear distracted and inept at times. Resources are limited and witnesses uncooperative. It was frustrating to read but perhaps accurately portrays the challenges of the job.

Sixteen year old Emma Thorley went missing eleven years ago. It was her third disappearance in less than a year so few took this event seriously
Rachel Bustin
Aug 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I have been browsing through the Bookbridgr website lately looking for some great books to read that were dark with lots of mystery and suspense, and this was the book I came across - Gone by Rebecca Muddiman. I have to say that the cover caught my eye to begin with. Then I read the description. I decided there and then that this was a book that I needed to read! So I applied to review it and luckily I was approved. The wait began then for it to arrive in the post!

The book starts off with a prol
Terri
Jan 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bookbridgr, read-2015
Review also posted on my blog: www.cookcreateread.co.uk

I requested an ARC of this book through bookbridgr.com as I was immediately intrigued by the plot. I love a good mystery/crime/thriller and this one sounded right up my alley. I had not heard of the author before, though I now know that this is Muddiman's second novel. I was not disappointed and am excited to have found a great new (to me) British crime author!

I read Gone over three days. If I'd had my way I would've read it one sitting, but
Cynthia Otekele
Mar 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller
Gone is the first Rebecca Muddiman‘s novel I read. I discovered it by chance at the public library. The title was appealing, the subject interesting.

Emma Thorley disappeared 11 years ago. A body was found later in the woods and it was assumed it was her. Today DS Freeman reopens the case and is determined to find out what really happened.

The story goes in two time frames; one when Emma was a teenager who became a drug addict after her mother's death and the other when DS Freeman starts a new i

• The Jackdaw (DI Sean Corrigan, #4)
  • Pariah (Callum Doyle #1)
  • Shot Through the Heart (D.I. Grace Fisher, #2)
  • Beneath the Surface (Inspector Tom Reynolds, #2)
  • Tenacity (Lieutenant Danielle Lewis, #1)
  • The Shout
  • A Killing of Angels (Alice Quentin, #2)
  • The Death Collector (Joe & Sam Parker #2)
  • Are You Watching Me (DS Claire Boyle #2)
  • Crossing the Line (Jessica Daniel, #8)
  • The Wrong Girl
  • Hangtown (Janelle Watkins, Private Investigator, #2)
  • Outside Looking In (DCI Matilda Darke, #2)
  • The Reckoning on Cane Hill
  • The Binding Song
  • Fragile Minds
  • Tell No Tales (DI Zigic and DS Ferreira, #2)
Rebecca was born and raised in Redcar . She has lived and worked in Holland and London, and travelled across America on a Greyhound bus in 2002. She won a Northern Writers' Award in 2010 and the Northern Crime Competition in 2012. When not writing she spends her time watching Game of Thrones and dealing with her two unruly dogs.

Gardner and Freeman (4 books)
  • Stolen (Gardner and Freeman, #1)
  • Tell Me Lies (Gardner and Freeman, #3)
  • Murder in Slow Motion (Gardner and Freeman, #4)