Start by marking “Război și pace, vol.1” as Want to Read:
Război și pace, vol.1

Război și pace, vol.1

(War and Peace, 4 Volumes #1)

Paperback, Large print, 414 pages
Published 1993 by Editura Venus & R.A.I. (first published 1865)

To ask other readers questions about Război și pace, vol.1, please sign up.
Jim I began it a week ago and usually would read two books or 500-600 pages in that time of modern fiction. I'm on page 242. It's going to take a long tim…moreI began it a week ago and usually would read two books or 500-600 pages in that time of modern fiction. I'm on page 242. It's going to take a long time to read 1,500 pages. But it's fascinating. No discernable plot yet, lots of characters, great writing, aside stories, time lapses, and yet still interested. (less)

Start your review of Război și pace, vol.1
Mark Seewald
Aug 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After years of lying to myself and others I finally read the entire book - completely on my IPhone no less. In my defense, I couldn't help lying. After working tirelessly to sustain a (minor) reputation as a reader (and quite knowledgable person)of 19th cetury Russian writers I found it impossible to admit I never read the biggest book of them all. Now that I have read it I can only say that the hype doesn't live up to the book. Sweeping historical movement combined with brilliant observations o ...more
Abeer AlRasbi
I have to write my review in both languages. English and Arabic for reasons.
English because I came to read this book (trapped) thankfully to my GoodReads buddies: Jo, Chafic, Zain, Priya, Salema, Ahmed, Meera, Ashok, and Michelle (not sure if I missed anyone else!) who few them already done with the whole book and I am just done only with volume 1 😊 (might take me a year to finish the remaining 3 volumes considering the number of pages per volume !
Also, I must include a review in Arabic becaus
Lucie
Jan 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
I've been debating whether or not I was supposed to rate this, considering it's only the first part of War and Peace, but I just read 900 pages and won that right.

Anyway, I'm loving this novel so much. I'm way more invested in the peace parts, reading about the Russian aristocracy and their lives is always something I love. The characters are so flawed, so human and I can't wait to see the choices they'll make next (also I love Pierre despite his vices). I'm not the biggest fan of the war parts,
Anna
Jan 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Probably redundant to say this is brilliant. All the characters are flawed flawed people and I love them so much. Heading to the second volume begging them all to sort their shit out. Pierre! Assert yourself properly! Maria! Believe in yourself! Andrei, I don't even know, you are both amazing and hopeless! Nikolai, stick to the army and the simple life! Dolohov die in the fires of eternal hell! Sonya, start cross-dressing more often, it suits you! Count Rostov, stop spending money!!
As a side no
Bruce
Oct 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Novelist Virginia Woolf wrote that Tolstoy was, "the greatest of all novelists—for what else can we call the author of War and Peace?" Medical missionary Paul Farmer said, “This is just like Lord of the Rings!” Years afterward he’d say, “I mean, what could be more religious than Lord of the Rings or War and Peace? ” This epic work of historical fiction is a richly-detailed and thought-provoking tale of the Napoleonic Wars and human passion.

I enjoy the freshness of the translation by Aylmer and L
Douglas
Oct 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am so glad to be retired and ride for hours a week so I can choose to listen to classics like this. It is better than the old radio theater of the mind. I was reminded of Tolstoy in a recent read on the Crimean War. I am fascinated and captivated by the story and the author. I wonder if he taught Jeff Shaara and other moderns how to write historical war fiction. The same kind of descriptive narrative that takes you inside the Russian aristocracy and high society makes me feel like I can see, h ...more
Julie Gray
Apr 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an absolutely stunning novel. I read both volumes. Tolstoy truly is one of the best novelists who has ever lived. I think I actually liked War and Peace more than Anna Karenina but that's a tough call. I will definitely read this book again. I learned so much about history and the human condition. Wow, I cannot overstate how great this book is.
Daniel Tammet
Aug 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read my review on the Guardian Books Blog: http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/books...
Phoenix2
Jan 22, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
Good book, the war chapters were a little boring, but the whole story is interesting enough.
Colleen
Mar 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: finished
Wow. Anther book I should have picked up and read years ago. Glad they put it in two parts for an audio book as it is LONG.
Viktor Krap
Jul 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: russian-litt
Kind of surprised that this does'nt have a wikia-page or something similar.
Realini
War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy with fun provided by Woody Allen

Another version of this note and thoughts on other books are available at:

- https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list... and http://realini.blogspot.ro/

I have seen Love and Death by Woody Allen.
Even if it is not exactly based on War and Peace it does appear to take some of the themes and laugh at them.

Take Death, which is present in the title.
There is a figure with a wrap and a sickle that walks around in the movie, taking various characte
Heather
Dec 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Perry Whitford
May 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read War and Peace once before twenty years ago and as you would expect loved it. Would I love it as much the second time around?

Most assuredly. Furthermore, now in my early forties I appreciate even more Flaubert's famous assessment after he had read it: "This is the first class work! What an artist and what a psychologist!"

How true that last statement is in particular! What distinguishes War and Peace from 19th century literature is the realistic changes and growth that the major characters
Carol
Nov 13, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
This famous Russian author writes wonderfully but he goes off on philosophical tangents which can be tedious to read. The characters and story lines are compelling as are the battle scenes.
I realize that this book needs a more thorough examination and I hope one day to do it the justice Tolstoy's efforts deserve.

Here was my reaction after reading part I:
I finished volume ONE of Leo Tolstoy's novel last night.

"convoyed on every side by stars but distinguished from them all by its nearness to t
Denis
Feb 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What is there left to write about a legendary book that has been analyzed a myriad of times already? Maybe that it truly is, for anyone who loves literature, the magnificent, mesmerizing, extraordinary novel that so many critics have said it is. Really. It is as simple as that. The scope of this novel, which I personally saw as much as in in-depth portrait of Russia and a philosophical essay, as a breathtakingly romantic epic, is astonishing. It may seems intimidating, but Tolstoy is such a mast ...more
Sabina Schmitz
Nov 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In Tolstoy’s War and Peace, you follow a series of characters set in France and Russia. The plot that guides them all, is the war that was kicked off by the French Revolution.
What makes this book so fascinating is how the war affects the life of each individual. Some directly, some indirectly. As the war comes and goes like waves in the tide, it never manages to halt the beautifully described experiences of love, friendship, death and development. Even though they may be a physical war raging i
Debbie
Mar 02, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I did not finish, but infact I abandoned this book (Vol 3 chapter 7). War and Peace is very long and unless there is some compelling story or characters, which there were not, I could not justify waisting more of my time on this epic novel. The novel takes place in the time of the Napoleonic Wars with a multitude of Dukes and spoiled princes battling it out, slogging through the trenches, haha, not. They did nothing but talk about what was proper or just gossip. If not in battle they were home c ...more
Melissa
Feb 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars, maybe. I enjoyed this so much more than I expected. Some parts were less engaging than others, but overall I am liking War & Peace a lot. The trick to reading such a long book from more than a century ago is to watch a miniseries first, so you can better keep track of characters and events. It's still difficult to remember everyone's last names, but it is easier to follow and I even find myself looking forward to it.

I would also recommend listening to the audiobooks narrated by Nevill
André Azevedo
Undecided between a 4-star rating and a 5-star, so I'd rather pass that task. But this is obviously brilliant: I was in awe of the book's writing for the most part (Pierre is naturally amazing), and the last chapters were very gripping and interesting (and shocking). I'd say this had easily dethroned "The Brothers Karamazov" as the best book I've ever read, even having read just some part of "War and Peace," but somehow it lost steam. This is only the first book though, so maybe that will happen ...more
H.Friedmann
Feb 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classic, historical
Half done with War and Peace, so I will probably have more to say when I finish Volume II. The biggest thing about part one, is that it had me going to the Wikis to learn more about the battle of Austerlitz, which had incredible repercussions throughout Europe. Tolstoy is good at writing these scenes, and I would recommend it to people who are interested in War Stories. Also, perfect timing on this, reading it through some of the coldest weather this year.
Michael Barakat
Mar 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the most complete stories i have ever read! Tolstoï really took me into this vast world of the high society of Russia. He also described beautifully the war strategies like the one of Austerlitz.
Reading this story, at first, needs lots of concentration in order to assimilate the different personalities. However, once you get used to them, you’ll get to knew them as he describes the psychology of everyone!
I’m really looking forward to continuing the second book!
Natalie K.
Jun 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is definitely one of the books that you have to grow to want to read and properly enjoy it. I’ve heard a lot of stuff before, but none of it measures to how mind blowing and spectacular the book was. It may not be my regular 5 star rating, I just couldn’t rate it anything less. Can’t wait to read other volumes!
Rose
Oct 03, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
What got this another star were the final chapters and the character development. Starting to sense the smallest part of the iceberg's body.
Joana Morais
We love a good Russian Classic
Kanske Svartfors
Way easier and entertaining to read than I expected! Enjoying this a lot!
Emilie
Reading War and Peace was one of my goal of 2020 so I'm pretty happy that this crazy time is allowing me to do this. So far so good, I do struggle a lot to be interested and invested during the war parts of the book but I really enjoy the rest. Gonna take a break now that this first book is done but I'm excited to read the second one.

(No rating because I want to rate the overall story and also it's kinda difficult to rate a book like that)
Lydia
Jul 06, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Finished the whole thing!

What an epic, broad tale about families and war. I couldn’t help but feel more connected to the male characters than the female characters, perhaps due to the time in which this was written. Also, the essays that Tolstoy intersperses are interesting, but a bit odd.
Cathy
Apr 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Never expected this to be sch a page turner!
Heather
Apr 26, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Surprisingly good. I was expecting a dry and dense tome but the story doesn't drag at all.
« previous 1 3 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Please replace 5 17 Jan 01, 2017 03:45AM
War and Peace Boo...: Starting War and Peace Today, anyone else just beginning? 6 38 May 28, 2012 12:08AM

• الحرب والسلم 2
  • Smoke Bellew
  • لم أعد إنجليزياً يا أبي
  • أعمال دوستويفسكي الأدبية : المراهق 2 ـ المجلد 15
  • Coração Débil
  • Les ananas de la colère
  • Сквозная линия
  • الأخوة كارامازوف #3
  • قاف قاتل سين سعيد
  • Claudius Bombarnac: The Adventures of a Special Correspondent (Extraordinary Voyages, #38)
  • العبودية
Lev Nikolayevich Tolstoy (Russian: Лев Николаевич Толстой; commonly Leo Tolstoy in Anglophone countries) was a Russian writer who primarily wrote novels and short stories. Later in life, he also wrote plays and essays. His two most famous works, the novels War and Peace and Anna Karenina, are acknowledged as two of the greatest novels of all time and a pinnacle of realist fiction. Many consider To ...more

War and Peace, 4 Volumes (4 books)
  • La Guerre et la Paix II