Start by marking “Smoke Screen” as Want to Read:
Smoke Screen

Smoke Screen

New York Times bestselling author Sandra Brown returns with a tale of corruption and betrayal, revenge and reversal - where friends become foes, and heroes become criminals in the ultimate abuse of power.

Published August 12th 2008 by Simon & Schuster (first published January 1st 2008)

Mo
Feb 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

When newswoman Britt Shelley wakes up to find herself in bed with Jay Burgess, a rising star detective in the Charleston PD, she remembers nothing of how she got there...or of how Jay wound up dead.

5 years ago a fire destroyed the Charleston Police Department. Jay was hailed a hero that day along with three other men.

Firefighter Raley Gannon, Jay's lifelong friend, was off-duty that day. He was assigned to lead the investigation into what caused the fire. He never completed the investi
♥Rachel♥
Sandra Brown rarely disappoints!
Christa
Sep 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library
Smoke Screen was the best Sandra Brown book that I have read in quite some time. It is a terrific romantic suspense novel that focuses more on the suspense, but still manages to have a quite satisfying romance. The romance isn't given a lot of time in the book, but the hero and heroine spend most of the story in the company of one another, and there is plenty of tension and interaction between them. I found both the hero and heroine to be very likeable characters, although the actions of the her ...more
Maria Clara
Jun 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Vaya final de infarto!! Realmente me ha encantado esta historia, su trama es sumamente envolvente, y sus personajes están tan bien caracterizados, que parecen reales.
Pepa
Jul 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Terminado. Me ha gustado mucho, menos romántico pero la pareja creíble.... quizás al final demasiado rápida esa decisión jajaja
Sobre la trama, decir que sí, que convence, que es complicada.. pero desde la mitad del libro he sabido el tema del culpable... y eso me fastidia... pero pintaba muy claro....era demasiado obvio y tenía que dar ese giro.
Muy recomendable. La autora sabe como ir desenmarañandolo todo para mantenerte atrapada a la lectura
Anita
Jul 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romantic-supense
Love Sandra Brown. Her romantic-suspense has never disappointed and "Smoke Screen" is no exception. Her characters, plot and pacing are flawless. The twists are unexpected and just leave you saying "Wow!" I read this book as part of a "Fireman Romance" challenge. The fire was five years ago, time wise, but pivotal to the plot.

Britt Shelley wakes up next to a dead man and the life of this television newscaster is off the rails from that moment forward. After getting a call from Jay, an old flame,
CD {Boulder Blvd}
3.5 Stars Rounded Up

This was a fairly quick read that I enjoyed. I'm pretty sure I read this when it first came out (2008), but I actually didn't remember too many of the details. I liked the characters of Britt and Raley even though I wasn't thrilled with them at first. His kidnapping of her didn't really work for me, but once we got past that and they were working together to solve the murder/fire then the book was good.
Yolanda
Jul 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4,5
me ha mantenido con la intriga y el suspense todo el libro. Suspense romántico que me ha enganchado desde la primera página.
Los protagonistas Britt y Raley muy bien.
Rachel
Overall rating: 5 stars!!!

Triggers:
Cheating: (view spoiler)
Sex with om/ow: (view spoiler)
DarienMoya
Jan 29, 2010 rated it really liked it
^^PISSED ME OFF IN ALL KINDS OF WAYS!^^

Jesu, never had a book pissed me of so much, and it’s not because it sucked, but because it was totally awesome. The characters are so vile I wanted to roast them over my fire pit of hatred. Sandra Brown has true talent when it comes to writing and it is no wonder I have been a fan of hers for over 12 years. I am talking reading them at the age of thirteen, I blame her books for creating my perve personality, high praise I tell ya.

So this book is clouded i
Vintage
Definitely not romantic suspense despite sex between the two protagonists. Yep, I can hardly call them hero or heroine.

The plot is a suspense story predicated on a fire five years ago and the mystery regarding the policeman and firefighters that were heroes of said fire. The two protagonists reluctantly work together to solve the mystery so they can be exonerated for misdeeds they did not commit.

They are no nice characters in this book! None. Major and minor characters run the gamut from unpleas
Pamela(AllHoney)
Newswoman Britt Shelley wakes up to find herself in bed with Jay Burgess, a detective in the Charleston PD. That was quite a surprise but what was even more surprising was that he was dead. And Britt has lost her memories of what happened that night. Raley Gannon, an ex-firefighter, finds the situation eerily similar to another. The same thing happened to him years ago when he was in the middle of an investigation into the fire at the police department that killed seven.

I was flipping through th
Ingie
Review written August 15, 2018

4 Solid Stars - You can always count on excellent SB quality

This audiobook was just great. — Smoke Screen is a thrilling suspense romance by the always entertaining and very skilled writer Sandra Brown. This time, as so often when audiobooks, in combo with a wonderful voice, the male narrator, and my all time number #1 favorite SB narrator, Victor Slezak.

~ I listened to the the 14:17 hours audiobook from 2008. ~

**********************************************

From the
Jane Stewart
I enjoyed much of it, but toward the end I realized things were missing or weak.

Raley was an arson investigator. He was drugged and set up for something that caused him to lose his job. Five years later Britt, a TV news reporter, was drugged and framed for murder. Both events had something to do with Jay. Raley contacts Britt and together they try to figure out what’s going on, as hit men are after them.

I prefer discovering clues throughout the story to uncover the mystery. In this book, almost
Cheri
May 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
One of the best that I have read so far by her!
Lea's Audiobooks Hensley
Unabridged audiobook - listened to approximately five years ago. Time for a relisten.

Narrated by the incredible Victor Slezak, I listened to Smoke Screen five years ago immediately after discovering Brown through Envy (also narrated by Slezak) - my now favorite romantic suspense. Nothing could compare to Envy so I graded it 4 stars. Removed from that impossible "search for another Envy", it is now a solid 5. Excellent story and suspense. Brown has a way of making you care even for some of the mo
The TBR Pile *Book review site*
I am telling you, Brown knows how to write a mystery so well that you could be the freaking killer and not know it. Lol. She is fantastic. The whole book, I had my suspicious about a certain character and I was right. http://thetbrpile.weebly.com/reviews/...
Liliflaj
Nov 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sandra-brown, vulkan
Sandra Braun u svom najboljem izdanju; interesantno, uzbudljivo, napeto, sa neocekivanim raspletom :)
melissa
Mar 15, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: mystery
Paced too slowly. Nothing really happened for 350 pages and then *poof* a confession and it was over. The "romance" scenes were typical rather than sexy. The ending was not shocking at all. I dragged myself through this read. Two things that bothered me: (view spoiler) ...more
D.G.
Oct 27, 2016 rated it liked it
Raley, the hero in this book had the worst luck ever. I felt TERRIBLE for him and wanted him to get vindication. But I don't know if I believed how things were solved. Why did the villains just confessed? Raley and Britt had no proof whatsoever of anything so it was weird how the villains just folded.

I figured out pretty easily who was the person behind the assassins although I have to say the identity of Butch and Sundance came as a surprise.

After what Britt had done to Raley, I also couldn't
Tetty Marlinda
#47 for 2017 RC
Genre : Suspense
Jackie
Feb 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a great book! I enjoyed it very much!!
Jaime
Sep 08, 2010 rated it really liked it
Another pretty good one from Sandra Brown, though I made the mistake of reading this too closely to the poorly done Standoff, which also featured a reporter and the man she (inadvertently?) harmed. There’s generally not a lot to be surprised about in these sorts of books — you know the male and female leads (Raley and Britt, in this case) are going to eventually join together both for their crusade and for their libidos — but I still enjoy the journey we’re taken on. Though I had some suspicions ...more
Tiffany PSquared
"I still have a goose egg. and the roots of my hair hurt."
"The hazards of being an uncooperative kidnap victim."

As much as I enjoyed the buildup of this book, the ending was disappointing.

If you were interested in reading Smoke Screen but you have a huge TBR list, this is what you do:
Read the first chapter, then skip to the last 2 or 3 chapters where the bad guys - so many bad guys - explain in excruciating detail their motivation, their method, and how they plan to get away with it. Really Sand
Helen Deakin
Nov 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I was literally so sucked in by this book I barely put it down. I spent so much continuous time reading this book, I had my better half making cheeky jibes at me about how he was concerned I was having a love affair with this book. It was just one of those stories that keep you hooked on every page. When I wasn't reading it, I was dying to get back to it. This is only the second Sandra Brown book I've read, but just as with the other one Low Pressure, it kept me guessing right up till near the v ...more
Sera ~ Catty Reader
Jan 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
4/5 stars

I really liked reading this book, even though I wasn't suprised by the ending. If you like books by sandra Brown, you should give this one a try, for what it's worth, I enjoyed it and liked Britt and Raley's characters and story.
Jae
This was so good.

Just when you thought you had the plot and bad guys figured out you got slapped with another twist a few chapters ahead. All twisted and startling, exactly how I like my suspense stories. Well done SB.
Ariannha
Mar 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Como siempre un libro magistral que mantiene la intriga, aunque hay algunas situaciones muy de Hollywood, vale la pena leerlo. }
Sandra Brown no decepciona, con la mezcla justa de suspenso, intriga y romance.
Gail
Nov 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This story started out a little strange. The more you read the more you wonder what will happen next. It will hold your attention to the very end. Filled with twists and turns and a surprise ending.
ElaineY
REVIEW OF AUDIOBOOK & EBOOK; AUGUST 8, 2014

I enjoyed this slightly more than the first time I read it, 5 years ago, but I still feel it was too long. I read the e-book back then and this time I listened to the audio along with the book. It's a 14-hour plus audio which, IMO, could have been cut back to ten or eleven. When an 18-hour Karen Rose juggernaut doesn't feel as long, I know it does need trimming!

I wanted to re-read this because it was my SB comfort time of the month, because I needed
Sanda Brown Super...: Smoke Screen 2 5 Jul 29, 2014 07:12PM
Smoke Screen SOOOO like another book SPOILER!! 1 30 Jul 09, 2013 05:46PM
  • Bittersweet Rain
  • The Silken Web
  • Love's Encore
  • Blue Smoke and Murder (St. Kilda Consulting, #4)
  • Death Angel
  • Guilty

Sandra Brown is the author of more than sixty New York Times bestsellers, including STING (2016), FRICTION (2015), MEAN STREAK (2014), DEADLINE(2013), & LOW PRESSURE (2012), LETHAL (2011).

Brown began her writing career in 1981 and since then has published over seventy