Start by marking “The Rise and Fall of the Gallivanters” as Want to Read:
The Rise and Fall of the Gallivanters

The Rise and Fall of the Gallivanters

In Portland in 1983, girls are disappearing. Noah, a teen punk with a dark past, becomes obsessed with finding out where they've gone—and he's convinced their disappearance has something to do with the creepy German owners of a local brewery, the PfefferBrau Haus. Noah worries about the missing girls as a way of avoiding the fact that something's seriously wrong with his b ...more
Published May 12th 2015 by Amulet

To ask other readers questions about The Rise and Fall of the Gallivanters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Rise and Fall of the Gallivanters

Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
Being a child of the 80’s, I get really nostalgic whenever I’m reminded of anything from those years, be it the music, the fashion, or David Bowie’s weird personas. But with or without nostalgia, with or without understanding of the period, The Rise and Fall of the Gallivanters is a truly magical book. Heartbreaking, overwhelming, deeply metaphorical and symbolic, painful, strange and so very honest, this sucker punch of a novel will stay with you for a very long time.

I’ve seen this book labele
Eilonwy
Sep 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of A.S. King

3-1/2 stars, and I can't decide whether to round up or down. Darn you, GR, for not letting me put in that half!
Noah is not in a good place, physically or in his being. In Portland, Oregon in 1984, teenage girls are disappearing ... but so is Noah's best friend, Evan, who is suffering from terrible migraines and seems to be fading away a little more every day. Noah's band, consisting of him, Evan, and their sort-of friends Sonia and Jaime, has broken up. But one night, a mysterious character who
Max Baker
Feb 05, 2015 rated it liked it
Thank you Netgalley for providing me a free copy in exchange for an honest review

I originally requested this book because I thought it was about a boy starting a punk band in the 1980s. However, it turned out to be a supernatural book set in the 1980s with a punk protagonist. While that's not bad, it wasn't what I was expecting.

The book centers around Noah, a green haired punk in 1983. Noah was...well he was kind of a pussy. There's nothing wrong with that per say, he spent most of the book whin
Bet
Jul 12, 2018 rated it it was ok
There were parts that had some really good writing, but mostly, this book sounded too angsty and a little off-putting. The (view spoiler) twist was already so obvious; spoon-feeding it in the end seemed unnecessary. Failed to live up to the interesting synopsis on the inside flap cover, but overall, still a good read.
Lucija The Reader
Aug 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
I absolutely loved this book. The characters were just so real, and this was just such an awesome book. If you haven't read it, I highly reccomend it! :)
Marisa
Apr 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
This book struck me as all around average. There were a few reveals and certainly some very sad moments, but I never felt fully invested in the characters. Noah is interesting and his relationship with Ziggy created an odd dynamic, but I felt like I knew what was coming from early in the story. One the one hand I felt for Noah and everything he went through, but I also was frustrated to his determined blindness to everything going on around him.

My biggest observation is that there are a lot of t
Barbara
Payton Ransdell
Aug 05, 2015 rated it it was ok
This book disturbed me. The odd supernatural symbolism in this book was very confusing to me. Noah is a singer and band leader to the Gallivanters. Around his town girls are disappearing. His bestfriend is having some serious issues that Noah decides to avoid by worrying about the girls. Noah throughout this book was whiny and he got to be annoying, though these characteristics fit his character. The entire punk music band part of the book I was obsessed with. Each of the band members was intrig ...more
Brenda
Mar 25, 2016 rated it it was ok
The book description had me hooked. Once I started it, it was too slow for my usual pace. I felt a connection with Ev and his migraines until later on. I was pretty much confused throughout the entire book and it was sort of hard to stay focused. I am just going to blame it on the fact that I get bored easily and that it was slow. I didn't really like the way the male characters in the book talked about women, I feel like some of them sexualize them a bit too much in the beginning and towards th ...more
Cathie Chenoweth
Apr 23, 2015 rated it it was ok
A band of punks in 1983 Portland, Oregon come together to try and have their 15 minutes of fame while trying to save girls from disappearing. The story sounded interesting to me and because I'm into punk and a child of the 80's I thought this was going to be really good. Yeah I was wrong the story was decent, but not what I expected. I felt bad for Noah who is known as a troubled teen who is damaged and felt even worse for his friend Ev who suffers from extreme migraines, but there wasn't enough ...more
Rebecca
This book is not what it seems (and that's also true for all of our characters). Girls disappearing, punk bands, David Bowie look- alike named Ziggy, cancer, Portland, one boy who is haunted by his past. There is so much going on in this book, its hard to grasp if you are reading realistic- fiction or fantasy, in the end this novel is about a teen and his coping with some really heavy life situations. A novel for music fans, outsiders and readers.
Erin Gray
Jul 30, 2015 rated it liked it
I feel a little scattered about this book. Maybe because the book is scattered. Parts I loved, parts were silly. Parts were endearing, parts were annoying. Parts were flimsy, parts weren't. I read it in a day and stayed up past my bedtime to finish it, so I was interested in it enough to discover how it all unfolded. Plus, there's a music competition and a music store ... and you know, I like music.
Kirsty-Marie Jones
Apr 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
That was surprisingly unexpected. Having that 'I liked it, but I don't know why I liked it.'
Alex
Dec 06, 2017 rated it did not like it
DNF
I had high hopes for this book, I was pretty excited to see a book with punk characters didn't involve them ruining their lives with drugs and bad decisions and falling in love with the biggest assholes and everything else that is in every other book I know involving punk characters, and the premise itself seemed rather interesting to boot.
I was actually quite engaged in the story for awhile, but that slowly started to fade away and soon I just wanted to find out how it ended more than I wan
Kera McGee
Nov 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book is great It had a slow start to get to the climax but once you get there you finally find that the moral and the point to the story is much greater and completely different than you expect. Living in portland myself its cool to see all the references to my own city. Very good book and if i knew how good the ending was i never would have taken so long to finish it!
Alice Whiskey
Aug 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This Is Now One Of My All Time Favorite Books....It Made Me Cry....You Should Read It....Especially If You Love David Bowie....
Sam
Apr 07, 2015 rated it liked it
3.5 stars!

Thank you to NetGalley for providing a free copy in exchange for an honest review!

Well, first I'd say that it wasn't "hilarious". I mean, it has its moments, but it wasn't a knee-slapper by any means.

The formatting was off too, which bothered me to no end, but that's what happens in galleys, I guess.

What I liked:

-Evan, Noah's best friend. He was tragic but somewhat heroic and of all the characters, I liked him the most. I guessed his character arc was going to be sad and I was right, b
Amber at Fall Into Books
Jan 24, 2015 rated it did not like it
As someone who moved to Chicago in the early 2000s because of the resurgence of the punk scene (though it was different and more of a pop punk scene, it was still glorious), I generally love books about the original US punk scene. Novels like this are usually gritty and realistic and speak to a part of me that the fantasy books I adore can't. However, this book didn't speak to me at all. It was lacking in all aspects: character development, plot development, writing, descriptions. This concept h ...more
Ang
Nov 14, 2016 rated it liked it
The Rise and Fall of the Gallivanters is a book based in the 1980s in Portland, Oregon. It's in the middle of the punk scene and during the explosion of the artist known as David Bowie.

The main character, Noah, is a teenage punk rocking kid with a green Mohawk and his friends are Evan with rainbow dreads, Crock and the 'Old Girls', named Sonia with a rattail and Jaime with an asymmetrical permed bob.

These kids are rocking the 1980s style, music scene and the drama of high school and putting th
Karen Johnson
Oct 26, 2014 rated it liked it
I was given an advance copy for review.

For me the book was a one or two star because it's not my favorite genre, but I gave it three because I know there will be an audience for it that will appreciate it more than I did.

Pros: Definitely an intriguing idea for a story. Nice, creepy elements. Her characters are interesting and will appeal to disaffected middle and high school kids, although it deals with pretty heavy issues for that age.

The punks are portrayed realistically, and the author addr
American Mensa
Nov 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
It's the early 1980's when a string of local girls go missing in Portland. Noah, a local punk with a troubled past becomes mildly obsessed with the disappearances after one of the girls' remains was found in a vat of beer at a local brew house PfefferBrau Haus. Noah is convinced that the owners, although they had previously been cleared by the police, have something to do with it.
Then Noah meets Ziggy, a David Bowie look-alike. He convinces Noah, along with his band, The Gallivanters, to enter t
Billie
Mar 31, 2015 rated it liked it
As someone who was a teen in Portland in the 80s, I really wanted to love this book. I wanted it to capture the feel of the scene that I skirted the edges of. Instead, it offered a sanitized version of Portland's punk culture. As young suburbanites, it's possible the kids would have been unaware of some of the seedier aspects of the scene, but for there to be no reference to drug use other than a little pot seems beyond naive. There was no violence, except at school. There was also the weird meg ...more
Heather Brown
Mar 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Teens, YA
This book is awesome! It is amazing that a story about the 80s punk scene and a serial killer can hold so much about friendship, love and empathy.The Rise and Fall of the Gallivanters is is a must-read for teens.
Noah is a messed up kid, but I love him! It's 1983 and Noah knows something terrible is coming. Something that wants to eat up his friends from the inside. Noah and his best friend Evan have seen the posters of the missing girls up all over town, and everyone knows who is taking them. St
Ruth
Apr 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
This was a very enjoyable book. I really liked the writing style, which was very fast paced and not over descriptive or over forced.

It’s hard to explain the plot without giving anything away. It gets really weird really fast and it’s pretty crazy until it all gets explained at the end!

I loved nearly all of the characters (the exception is Sonia). I especially liked Jamie and the friendship between Evan and Noah, which was really sweet and sad.

Also, just a warning, there is frequent swearing and
Lily Summers
Jul 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book completely took my breath away I didn't want to put it down.
The story was fast paced and took you in turns you wouldn't expect. Also living through the story with the character made you feel like you were right there with him. Noah, the main character, who lives in Portland has noticed that many girls have gone missing. He is determined to find out why they are going missing. With the help of a guy, who looks like Bowie, and his best friend Evan they decide to get the band back togethe
Sarah Mcleod
May 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Another one of my firstreads books.
I really nice tale, kind of two stories in one, the first being a group of friends form a punk band, there is falling outs, fights, break ups etc, they all pull together for a competition and with the help of Ziggy manage to pull together, do the competition and solve a missing girls case. The real story is about friendship and loss and pulling together when you need each other the most and how the smallest of dreams can become a reality.
I did like this story
Kim
Love the cover, love the premise, not so big on the execution.
In 1983 Portland, girls are disappearing. A David Bowie lookalike named Ziggy appears to Noah and tells him that he's the one who has to get to the bottom of what's going on. And he has to use his music to figure it out. Cool, right? And there are lots of satisfying moments through the book, but the introduction of the Marr and some other elements just seem tacked on and awkward. I finished the book frustrated that it COULD have been
emma
Jul 14, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 1980s
The year is 1984, the city, Portland. Noah- a punk bad boy with a green Mohawk- is getting his band back together one last time to compete in PfefferBrau Haus Brewery’s battle of the bands. But with brewery at the center of the mysterious disappearance of many teen girls, and Noah’s best friend succumbing to an equally mysterious illness, the Gallivanters must solve the mystery before it’s too late.

A gritty, heartfelt story filled with punk bands and David Bowie doppelgangers, M.J. Beaufrand’s T
Ryan Cutter
May 23, 2015 rated it liked it
This was actually quite an enjoyable book. It's easy to read and fast paced. Being born in the mid 90s results in a lot of the nostalgia being missed on me. The story was engaging enough to keep me immersed for short periods of time. I would definitely recommend this book to those who grew up listening to David Bowie.

I received the book for free through Goodreads First Reads.

P.s. I received an uncorrected proof, which left the copy with some features I'm amazingly fond of. Makes the copy quite
Ema Bargeron
Jun 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book SO MUCH. Having no concrete memory (or any memory) of the 80's, it felt like stepping into another time entirely. It was beautifully written, and the characters were so well-developed. All of them had unique, fully fleshed-out backgrounds, and flaws which made them as real as any I've ever read about.

It was a page-turner, I read it in just a day and couldn't think of putting it down.

• Stone Mirrors: The Sculpture and Silence of Edmonia Lewis
  • Naked '76
  • I Have Not Answered
  • The Golden Locket (Nobody's Story, #1)
  • Greek Bonds and French Ladies
  • Darkness Hidden (The Name of the Blade, #2)
  • Youth In Asia: 1968. Vietnam. The Central Highlands. Young Men Will Change. Some Will Die.
  • E! Entertainment
  • The Unimaginable City
  • In Your Prime: Older, Wiser, Happier
  • Me and the Marquis
  • The Royal Lacemaker
  • It Takes a Fool: A Tough Lesson Learned on Bullying
  • Necromancing Nim (Necromancing Nim, #1)
  • The First Horseman (Thomas Treviot, #1)
  • G.G. Snowboards (The G.G. Series, Book #1)
  • Victorian Fairy Tales