Start by marking “OCA: Oracle Certified Associate Java SE 8 Programmer I Study Guide: Exam 1Z0-808” as Want to Read:

Full coverage of functional programming and all OCA Java Programmer exam objectives OCA, Oracle Certified Associate Java SE 8 Programmer I Study Guide, Exam 1Z0-808 is a comprehensive study guide for those taking the Oracle Certified Associate Java SE 8 Programmer I exam (1Z0-808). With complete coverage of 100% of the exam objectives, this book provides everything you nee ...more
Published December 31st 2014 by Sybex (first published December 11th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about OCA, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about OCA

Start your review of OCA: Oracle Certified Associate Java SE 8 Programmer I Study Guide: Exam 1Z0-808
Valentyn Danylchuk
May 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, software
This book has some basic knowledge you need for the exam, and it comes with 3 practice tests online, with a total of 180 questions. The tests come with a detailed explanation for the correct answers and are really useful. Don't get discouraged if you don't get a very high score in the practice tests. They are intentionally harder than the real one.

After using this guide, I had no problem passing the exam with a good margin above the passing score.
Tim Tulsky
Dec 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It is a great book, I demystified some thoughts I had about software architecture.
Nikolai Volsky
A must to read for any software developer! It SIMPLY will change the way you think about programming, making you write much faster, scalable, and better applications than ever.
Nick Tunac
Jan 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Used this book for my preparation for Oracle Java SE 8 Programmer I examination backed with Enthuware mock exam.

Highly recommended book for exam takers.
Tadeas Petak
Feb 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
I found the book seriously good. Explanations are clear, examples abundant, the authors provide plenty of heads up regarding potential catches on the actual exam, as well as a large amount of practice questions.

As for the exam: I would not recommend taking it to anyone at least mildly experienced in Java. Yes, I did enjoy exploring a few obscure corners and discovered a couple of misconceptions I had had about some parts of the language. But on the whole, I do not think it is going to make me a
Anton A
Apr 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Overall, it was good enough. I passed the exam by studying this book in a very short period of time. I had entry level Java programming experience but this book took me by surprise on how little I knew -- the tiny little tricks and details of Java 8.
Anatoly Leonov
Oct 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: programmin
Good book for preparing to the exam, but not good to learning Java. Authors says about that so will not miss.
Maica Ballangan
Jul 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Helped me pass my OCA certification within a month!
Katie Rhue
Mar 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I picked up this book with a basic knowledge of how to code in Java. Passed the OCA exam (March 2018) like it was easy. The questions in the book and on the practice exams were more than adequate. If you can get to the point that you’re comfortable with the questions they provide and think you even stand a chance of passing a test with similar questions, you can probably take the OCA exam. At least that was my experience, maybe I just got an easy test. I also learned a lot from the book so my co ...more
Khaled Al-Ansari
Feb 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book aims to make you ready for the OCA (Oracle Certified Associate) exam through different examples that explains a lot of concept and tricks about Java also there's a bunch of questions at the end of each chapter.

Note that if you are an absolute beginner you must read a book before this, the authors suggested some books in the introduction for me I was already done with Head First Java (also in the authors suggestions)
Benjámin
Aug 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Simple and hands-on examples, excellent humor, and really evil text questions, all in the meaning of understanding the Java language. I don't know which one was harder, persuading myself to start reading this book, or trying to put it down after I've finally gotten myself into it. All in all, if you want to do anything with Java programming in the future, definitely sholudn't miss this one, greatly advised.
André Markus Treffeisen
Mar 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fromebook
Up to this point I am glad and happy with the details in the book. The section questions are tricky and on the first attempt there was only 2 of them passed (based on a 65% pass rate) by me - so plenty to improve on my knowledge before I take the exam. Now as a reference book during more questions from other books I will still need to see how that works as I am not sure on that part.
Roberto Figueira Capelo
Well write, so helpful.

Easy to read, contain all important tips for the test and great coding samples snippet. I really highly recommend this book for who are thinking to take a java certification.
David
Nov 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
I passed the exam so I guess that makes this book good? Kidding aside, I liked the style. The goal is clear: prepare you for the exam. And I think it does it well. If you're thinking about taking the 1Z0-808 exam, I recommend this book.
Thomas
May 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I passed the test first time, and this book was more relevant and helpful than any of the online learning my companies e-learning had for it.
Perhaps too verbose, but it is trying to completely cover certain topics that shift from year to year in the exam.
Max
Jun 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good book to prepare for OCA exam, otherwise I wouldn't recommend reading it.
Vítor Sousa
Jul 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is a great help to understand the basic principles of Java.
It also leaves you very well prepared for the OCA certification.
Dmytro
Sep 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great book to prepare for Java certification
Camilo Uribe
Feb 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: software-library
I read this book, did the enthuware mocks and got certified.
Ivan Calderon
Apr 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excelent book for study
Elar
Dec 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: not-scifi, for-work
Lot of typos and errors, which is annoying as this book is supposed to be study material. Some review question were not discussed in material.
Fatih Bozik
Jun 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book.
Elizabeth
Jul 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: technology
Great book for studying for the exam.
Roman
Feb 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Very good summary and review questions
Jorge DeFlon
A good book for the java 8 certification, the most used java version.
Mmkay
Feb 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
Very good book that helps you realize that taking an OCA might not be as easy as you expected. Although I am a Java developer with 3 years of commercial experience, I found the book very refreshing and showing some really obscure quirks. It is very exam focused, with tests checking your knowledge after every chapter.

Definitely worth recommending if one prepares for OCA exam.
Ken
Jan 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
As a beginner to programming, I found this book very easy to read. There were lots of examples and tips for what to focus on for the exam. I liked the example of teaching access modifiers with a story about a duck and a swan. Using everyday objects and animals to relate examples made it easier to process and understand. I also liked the tips about programming. There are lots of questions at the end of each chapter which helped me work out the complex parts better.
Renee
Oct 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well written. Easy to follow. Great way to prepare for the OCA exam without spending a lot of money.
I enjoyed the authors’ sense of humor, and I liked the many examples, practical test-taking tips, and the practice questions.
Dmitry
Nov 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
I think it is the best book for self-preparing for the exam, not ideal though
Andreea Fulea
Very useful book to prepare for the exam. Also has funny examples. The theory is very well explained with good code examples. Examples that work and examples that can cause problems are given

• Clean Code: A Handbook of Agile Software Craftsmanship
  • OCA Java SE 8 Programmer I Certification Guide
  • Effective Java
  • The Clean Coder: A Code of Conduct for Professional Programmers
  • Design Patterns: Elements of Reusable Object-Oriented Software
  • Oca Java Se 8 Programmer I Exam Guide (Exams 1z0-808)
  • Introduction to Algorithms
  • The Pragmatic Programmer: From Journeyman to Master
  • Building Microservices: Designing Fine-Grained Systems
  • The Passionate Programmer
  • アオハライド 3 (Ao Haru Ride, #3)
  • アオハライド 10 (Ao Haru Ride, #10)
  • アオハライド 6 (Ao Haru Ride, #6)

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Jeanne Boyarsky has worked as a Java developer for over 12 years at a bank in New York City where she develops, mentors, and conducts training. Besides being a senior moderator at CodeRanch.com in her free time, she works on the forum codebase. Jeanne also mentors the programming division of a FIRST robotics team, where she works with students just getting started with Java.

Jeanne got her Bachelor