Start by marking “Walking Home: My Family and Other Rambles” as Want to Read:
Walking Home: My Family and Other Rambles

Walking Home: My Family and Other Rambles

I am at home with my brother Andrew banging on about the joys of walking. Suddenly he says, 'You should do the Wayfarer's Walk. We always talked about it, do you remember?'

So I start thinking about it seriously. It is 71 miles in total. It will be a great family adventure.

Won't it?

In Clare Balding's family, walking just took too long - she galloped throu
Published September 11th 2014 by Viking (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Walking Home, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Walking Home

Paul
May 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Having been brought up with horses and ended up working with them Clare Balding spent a lot of her time on the back of one or heading to the next racecourse to watch more. But in 1999 she took a call from a radio producer asking if she ever walked anywhere. 'Well, I walk the dog…' was her reply. From that call, the Radio 4 series Ramblings came about.

It is still going strong all these years later and has clocked up a huge 36 series so far. She has managed to walk 1500 miles along foo
Claire Peal
Nov 24, 2014 rated it liked it
This was an interesting and easy read. I enjoyed learning more about potential walks I could undertake and was interested in some of the people she had met on her radio programme ramblings. However this was not as interesting as her first book and had a hurried, disjointed feeling about it which was a shame.
Lucy
Sep 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another wonderful book from Clare Balding, she brings her books to life with great humour and sadness, real stories of real people (and animals) highly
Recommended
Tracey
Jan 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Yet again clare balding has written an easy , enjoyable read !
Stephanie Jane (Literary Flits)
I enjoyed the audio version of Clare Balding's My Animals and Other Family back in the summer and so have been looking forward to downloading her newest book, Walking Home. I got this one on audio as well. Balding reads her own words and is a very professional narrator. The memoir is based around Ramblings, the Radio 4 series that Balding has presented for many series. I don't think I've ever actually heard an episode. I go through stages of being a Radio 4 listener and my most recent phase must ...more
Elizabeth
This is the second of Clare Balding's memoirs I've read and I would say that I enjoyed this one more than the first. There was less emphasis on her beloved horse racing and more on walking and her family and her own life and other sports, which I found far more interesting. That's not to say that I didn't like the first one, though - that was enjoyable too, but I'm just not that into horses and horse racing.

Clare, as always, comes across as a thoroughly decent, likeable person who se
Jo
Jun 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
I am afraid Clare Balding is a person my hubby loves to hate. I though enjoyed this second offering from the TV presenter. I enjoy walking too and she describes the locations of her walks so well - so well in fact that I would love to visit some of the same places.
Lola Et La Vie
Sep 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the second of Clare’s memoirs I have listened to and I have enjoyed both a lot. I love listening to Clare talk about her life.

This one centres on the walking side of her life, in particular her job as a presenter for a walking program on BBC radio, but also walking a particular long distance walk with her family near their home. She intersperses that with stories of her life, as a sports presenter for the BBC, as a dog lover, and of course of her life in horse racing.
Julia Doherty
May 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
What a wonderful, honest and downright amusing read. I loved it!

This book is a real mix of walking stories, family and business. The walking element certainly inspired my own ideas for my walking club (such as walking backwards and doing a foraging Walk). I was also inspired to check out the Wayfarers Way and a few other National Trails that I’ve not yet walked.

If you like sport of any kind then you will enjoy listening to Clare’s stories about the Olympics and even if you don’t enjoy sport th
Jo
May 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Have just finished this book and loved it.
I have just moved to a new area and thought about joining a walking group to start making friends whilst getting a little fitter and this book has convinced me to do it for real.

Clare describes the countryside and coastlines beautifully and the experiences both physically and emotional she has being nature sound amazing.

I am now looking forward to listening to more of her adventures on her Radio 4 show and getting started in my first walking grou
Bex Ioanna
Aug 11, 2019 rated it it was ok
Enjoyed Claire’s first book immensely! This one however I found very dull and only got a few chapters in before I gave up. I always finish a book even if I’m
not particularly enjoying it, but couldn’t bear to waste my time on this one unfortunately. It wouldn’t put me off reading Claire’s other books but this one just wasn’t for me.
Sharon
Apr 23, 2019 rated it liked it
I got this from a charity shop and I didn'r realise it was the second of Clare Balding's book.

Enjoyable tales of rambling and walking around the British Isles. I was very amused with her descriptions of her closes relatives and their little quirks.
Naomi Stebler-stock
Feb 07, 2017 rated it did not like it
Read her first book which was brilliant. This is not as good, walks, walks and more walks so found it lacked the charm of her first book. Read half and gave up . Disappointing for me, as it was so bland and lacked depth.
Jan
Nov 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Thoroughly enjoyable book, feels like going for gentle strolls with a familiar companion!

There is enough local and historical interest to give a sense of place but its no dry travelogue and we meet plenty of interesting and warm characters along the way.

Judith Ring
Feb 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book, and it has maps
A travel book without a map is like a teapot without a lid. (The irony was I sat on my backside for two days reading it). This is the second of Clare’s books I’ve read and she has a lovely style; informative, inspiring and amusing. I’ve never listened to the radio show this book is about but will definitely tune into it now. Looking forward to reading more of her books.
Mary
Sep 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Excellent, funny and enjoyable. A great well written mix of her life, family, work and walking in the British countryside.
Rachel McCollin
Jun 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a wonderful book. Just lovely. The section on the Olympics brought a tear to my eye.
Barbra
Mar 04, 2018 rated it liked it
It’s was ok but didn’t enjoy it as much as the first book......
Hayley Copley
Sep 27, 2017 rated it it was ok
I read this after enjoying My Animals and Other Family so much. It was okay but nowhere near as interesting as Claire's first book. Still readable though and I do like Claire's style of writing.
Renita D'Silva
Lovely story.
Lydia
Nov 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016, non-fiction
Nice relaxed style covering a variety of topics.
Mariam
Jul 22, 2019 rated it it was ok
Sweet story and quick read. Loved all the poetry woven throughout.
Michael
Sep 08, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: giveaways
I'm afraid I found this a profoundly unpleasant book to read, rather than being informed I felt myself under a constant verbal attack. Balding admits that she talks a lot and from this book we know that she writes a lot as well, and seemingly without thinking.

It has a strange construction which doesn't help. One strand is the history of the BBC Radio 4 programme, 'Ramblings'. On the other hand it's the story of her, and some members of her family, following a long distance footpath,
Wendy
Feb 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed Clare's first book, and was looking forward to reading this one. Don't read either in public if you get ready hearing about sad animal stories. (The memory of sobbing on a train will stay with my for a long time.) This book isn't quite so bad in that respect, although it does have its moments. The walking stories are fascinating, although if you follow Ramblings on the radio, some of them might be familiar. That said, these were more from Clare's perspective so a fresh view is g ...more
Sophie Louise
Jan 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Very relaxing, like going for a walk in the beautiful British countryside with Clare Balding and her fascinating pals. Gentle humour and vivid descriptions.
She spends a couple of chapters talking about her work as a tv presenter, in particular, focusing on the Olympic Games and Paralympics. I had no idea how much work is involved in presenting sport. She really works hard!
I really enjoyed her description of the relationship she has with Alice Arnold. I'm a bit envious of the way they crea
Andrea
Aug 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
When I first saw this book advertised, I really wanted to read it, and I was not disappointed, it is very inspirational, based on Clare Baldings’ radio programme, ‘Ramblings’ it tells the tales of some of the people she met and places she visited. As a fairly keen walker anyway, I found it did inspire me to get out there and walk some more. The book highlights how good walking is for you, not only on a physical level but also on an emotional level; as it goes into the lives of people who have us ...more
Rachel
Jan 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Clare Balding is a very entertaining writer, I enjoyed this as much - if not more - than her first book. The subject matter of walking and the people she meets while recording the Radio 4 Ramblings programme are so interesting. I have found walking satisfying, relaxing and extremely beneficial to my health so I definitely do not need converting; but hope non-walking for pleasure listeners will be persuaded to go out.

I'm pleased Clare extolled urban walking. I've always really enjoyed exploring
(The below is from my Audible review)

I enjoyed the stories of the walks that Clare has taken, and the way that she told the stories, moving back and forward in time. I mostly listened to this in the gym, slogging away on an exercise bike, and it make the time pass very pleasantly! I'd read this again.

I liked the way it was written. It wasn't completely linear, but moved back and forth, with little snippets about Clare's life and about the walks she's taken. It made me lau
Jo Roberts
Apr 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Clare Balding is, let's face it, a National Treasure. Everyone loves her, she's affable, knowledgeable and you'd love her to be your friend. This book follows on from her first novel and again, her tone is friendly, firm and matter of fact.
This book documents her time in the lead up to the Olympics of 2012 where she fully obtained National Treasure status. It's other theme is walking, following her regular radio show, Ramblings. The people she meets, the motivators she meets, Clare tells a stor
« previous 1 3 next »

• Nigel: My Family and Other Dogs
  • Post-Truth: Why We Have Reached Peak Bullshit and What We Can Do About It
  • Love among the Butterflies: The Travels and Adventures of a Victorian Lady
  • The Tent, the Bucket and Me
  • Gideon's Day (Gideon, #1)
  • Cheer Up, Love: Adventures in Depression with the Crab of Hate
  • Do Not Pass Go: From the Old Kent Road to Mayfair
  • A Cat Abroad
  • The Tales of Max Carrados
  • The 5:2 Diet Book
“Sometimes you have to turn around,’ said the Grand Walking Officer. ‘If you keep just looking forward, you miss the best views.” 0 likes