Start by marking “The Sands of Time” as Want to Read:
The Sands of Time

The Sands of Time (The Hermux Tantamoq Adventures #2)

3.96  ·  Rating details ·  1,306 Ratings  ·  76 Reviews
Hermux is in trouble again. This time, all of Pinchester is in an uproar over his friend Mirrin Stentrill’s new paintings—monumental portraits of cats! After all, everyone knows cats never really existed. Then a mysterious old chipmunk appears in Hermux’s shop with what he claims to be a map to the royal library of a prehistoric kingdom of cats. Before long, Hermux is hot ...more
Published October 18th 2007 by Puffin Books (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Sands of Time, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sands of Time

Soccerplayah07
Apr 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I REALLY liked this book.
Here is a review.

Our favorite mouse and watchmaker, Hermux Tantamoq, is up to his ears in trouble again. All of Pinchester is in an uproar over his friend Mirrin Stentrill's visionary new paintings--monumental portraits of CATS! The Pinchester Museum announces Mirrin's exhibition, and Mayor Pinkwiggin immediately vows to shut it down. After all, cats are not a popular topic in a city of rodents--and everyone knows they never really existed. While militant mice organize t
haley
Aug 14, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow! This book was SO, SO, SO much better than Time Stops For No Mouse. In this book, the city is in uproar over Hermux's friend, Mirrin Stentrill's new paintings. They are of cats! Everyone is shocked, and it being a city of rodents, you can probably understand why. The mayor wants to close her exhibit because he doesn't want rumors spreading. Everyone knows cats never really existed. Or did they? One day, a chipmunk comes into Hermux's shop. Claiming he has a map to an ancient kingdom, he shar ...more
Ilana Waters
May 11, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An exciting follow-up to the author's first book Time Stops for No Mouse, this can definitely be read as a standalone as well. But do yourself a favor and just buy the whole series. I was very glad to see the sweet romance between Hermux and Linka rekindled. But some of the plot points had me confused. There seemed to a be theme of facing one's fears brought up in the beginning that drifted off as the book went on. Also (not to be a spoiler) but something happens that changes the characters' ent ...more
Rory
Jan 07, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book The Sands of Time was an alright book. The only thing is though is that I felt like it had some of the same characteristics as The Percy Jackson series. Both books had the main characters being someone who had a father who did some crazy things, but they didn't know about. Then theres the person that comes and tells them about it, then they go off on an adventure to defeat something or someone. Over all I would tell someone about this book if they hadn't read any of the Percy Jackson bo ...more
Leo
Mar 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-spanish
Read in Spanish a bazillion years ago, don't remember anything except that I enjoyed very much.
Joseph
Jan 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-ve-read
I thought that The Sands of Time was a pretty good book with a mix of fantasy, adventure, and a pinch of suspense. With the characters being animals, there was a good element of comedy in the book, as well. Definitely recommended for those who like adventure.
Roberta
Jun 29, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012, ya
Domenica viste le temperature abbiamo optato per il solito nostro programma estivo, ormai un classico anche se da qualche anno a questa parte abbiamo aggiunto la (graditissima) opzione dell'aria condizionata in casa. La nostra classica domenica estiva consiste nella sveglia (relativamente) presto e nella fuga sui monti in cerca di refrigerio, normalmente in moto, anche se la scorsa domenica per vari motivi abbiamo optato per la macchina. Destinazione un laghetto alpino in provincia di Trento cir ...more
Alexis Drake
Jun 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Secondo capitolo della serie di Hermux Tantamoq, topolino orologiaio, le sabbie del tempo si apre con uno scandalo che fa parlare tutta Pinchester: la mostra di quadri di Mirrin, che verrà esposta al museo.
Quadri che ritraggono gatti, per di più nudi.
Impossibile, i gatti non sono mai esistiti.
Ma quando uno scoiattolo, vecchio amico del padre di Hermux, si rivolge a lui per un aiuto, inizia l’avventura per il nostro topolino, che coglierà l’occasione di coinvolgere nella ricerca della scomparsa c
Ashley
Jan 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The adventures of watchmaker Hermux Tantamoq continue in this whimsical addition, The Sands of Time. Still settling down from the events of Time Stops for no Mouse, Hermux searches for a semblance of what passes for an ordinary day, whiling away the hours at his watch shop or spending time with his pet ladybug, Terfle...and, of course, dreaming of aviatrix and adventuress extraordinaire, Linka Perflinger, now engaged to another mouse. Things start to get interesting again when an old chipmunk na ...more
Julie lit pour les autres
Je suis complètement sous le charme d'Hermux Tantamoq, souris un peu dandy et esthète, dont la profession d'horloger a mis sur son chemin moult aventures et personnages fascinants dont la splendide Linka, aventurière au grand coeur. Les intrigues sont pleines de rebondissements; la plume de l'auteur est charmante sans être mièvre. Un peu à la façon de l'univers de Harry Potter, on se plonge complètement dans cette société complexe de rongeurs. Les rapports entre différentes espèces (les préjugés ...more
Tajmim709
Dec 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was an amazing book and it made me have mixed emotions/feelings inside. This book seems like that it was taken place during the past. The characters in this book were Jaime Miró, Sister Megan, Sister Lucia, Sister Graciela and Sister Teresa. These 4 sisters were nuns and they each were unique in their own way, as well as having their own traits that they carry on through the book. Jaime Miró was the hero of the Basque people. I honestly thought that he was a very brave and kind man, ev ...more
Hope
Nov 04, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-ya
A fun second book in the Hermux Tantamoq series. This time, he is in pursuit of a lost cat city, and trying to stay alive. It seems that someone doesn't want the cat city to be found.

As in the first one, there is a lot of clever word play in the names of characters, and intriguing situations. Hermux is an endearing reluctant hero. The details of the plot can be read as a commentary on species/race relations for us humans to keep in mind.

This could be read as a stand alone book, but I think it i
Emily
May 25, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids, fantasy-sf
Could have been a cute story (mouse investigates the mythical creature called "cat"; adventures ensue), but it was really disjointed. A lot of references to the previous book (which I didn't read) that seemed unnecessary and didn't add anything to this particular story. I actually skimmed about 3/4 of the book just to get it finished and I don't think I missed anything. Could be a good one for kids just learning to read longer books on their own (chapters are only a few pages long), but I don't ...more
Kristin
May 10, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-school
The Hermux Tantamoq series are wonderful! I think I read them when I was around 11, although they are probably ideal for ages 13 or so. Set in a make-believe town inhabited by mice and terrorized by cats, there is never a dull moment. The writing is great because though it's geared toward children, it's slightly advanced and encourages learning because the story is so enchanting. One of my favorite bits was the fact that the main character has a best friend who is blind, and I think that added a ...more
Marti Doktorchik
Jan 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
The sequel to "Time Stops for No Mouse", this book brings us back to Hermux Tantamoq, a quiet and unassuming watchmaker mouse. This time, he finds himself on an adventure to prove the existence of an early and extinct (and rumored to be fake) cat civilization. His quest leads him to the desert, where he discovers some exotic ruins - but will he survive this adventure? A cute story and an easy read.
Kate
Nov 24, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
In a word: charming. While the characters are all animals, which seem to be the exclusive domain of children's books, the plot and language feel too adult for me to recommend it to a child. That being said, I doubt that teens or young adults would like the less-than-hip protagonists. So, I rule this a book for adults who like a cozy mystery and who remember creating stories about their pets lives. Seriously, like you never imagined your pet mouse to have a pet ladybug of his own.
Justin M.
This was an okay book. I thought that it could have been better. It is the second book in a series, the first book being Time Stops for No Mouse. The main character, Hermux Tantamoq, could used a bit more pizazz and style but he was okay. I think the ending of the book could have been better but it was decent. Personally the book needed more exciting bits so I thought it was below my interest level.

Alexi
Aug 15, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Such a very strange book, and not really in good way. I grant I'm biased—if animals are going to act like humans, I'd usually just as soon actually have humans—but...huh. It's hard not to be amused/astonished when there are (mild) sexual references, and the whole time you're talking about MICE. Hahaha! Sorry, never could past that one. Well, anyway, quite a curious book. Slightly peculiar plot line.
Kendra
May 22, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute adventure/mystery featuring the watchmaker turned amateur sleuth mouse, Hermux Tantamoq. Very lively story with plenty of action, suspense, and humor. This would be a great read-aloud. Although obviously the second book in the series, it wasn't too difficult to jump right in and follow Hermux on his adventures. I didn't feel like I was missing too much by not reading the first one yet. Recommended.
Emily
Nov 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book was really good it is a cute funny story.The author makes you want to keep reading the book.My favorite part is when they get attacked by the cats.I was reading the book chapter after chapter that's how good it was.It's like a spooky story and mysterious like when they try to find the guy who came in hermux's shop at the beginning of the story.I like how they show the proof on how they figure out the mysteries.
*Sklip*
Feb 19, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Again, this was also a bit creepy. These books were really fun to read but they kinda make you think about the world from a different view.

I can see why all the rodents in the book would be so fearful of the existence of cats. They've been taught from the moment they're born that they're scary and talking about them is super forbidden.

This book was amazing because finding the ancient civilization of cats reminded me of Egyptians for some reason....
I guses it was all the sand?
Charlotte
Apr 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Older children
Recommended to Charlotte by: Read the first book in series
I really wanted to read this as when i was 10 I read the first one in the series 'Time Stops for No Mouse' and it became my favourite book for quite a while. I read it within a day and even though it is directed and the younger age groups I still really enjoyed it and I think had I read it at the same time I was reading the first one it would have quickly become another favourite book. Well written and a really lovely story, would recommend to any older children.
Anna
May 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am really kind of hooked by this story and as I put this down, I am already opening the third book. It is so nice to read something this heartwarming, cute and lovely; no blood, no fighting, just mice and awesome adventures, sand, time, love... Was a great choice to pick to read through my "I-might-as-well-just-die-because-of-the-nerves" times. So curious how is this gonna continue!!
Mary
Jan 30, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
If you are looking for an adventure to enjoy with your little one, this is the place to start. this story has talking rodents, adventures, mysteries, and a villain that you want to shake your fist at.

read about the troubles that Hermux gets into, if only to have to pronounce those fun name like Hermux and Tinka.
SITI HAMIDAH
“Menjadi buta telah mengajariku setidak-tidaknya satu hal penting. Apapun yang dapat kita lihat dalam sinar terang, meskipun itu sangat buruk, tidaklah terlalu menakutkan dibandingkan apa yang kita bayangkan dalam kegelapan” (hal 44)
Menghibur dan petualangannya lebih terasa dari pada buku ke-1.
7709jane
Jan 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the second book in the Hermux Tantamoq series. In this one Hermux discovers an ancient mummy tomb. I loved it because it is so dramatic and cliche, but it's great because all the characters are mice and other rodents instead of boing old humans. I would recommend it to people who liked Golden Compass and Gregor the Overlander.
Briana
Sep 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is a great book for everybody! It is kinda like the first one ( Time stops for no mouse) but instead a "dead" chipmunk turns up at Hurmux's watch shop looking for his father.In the end they take an adventer in the lost desert with of corse Linka Perflinger to descover the lost ainchent world of CATS!!!
Meg
Feb 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

I can't wait to have kids so I can let them read these books. These were some of my favourites growing up, really got me into reading at point where I could have easily not picked up a book willing again. Great characters, great stories that really keep you hooked, just brilliant.
Taylor
May 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Hermus Tantamoq Adventures are awesomeness!!! They are all really cute stories about a mouse watchmaker (Hermux) and his adventures with the mouse he's in love with (Lenka Perflinger). It's got everything: Adventure, Romance, Cute Animals, Suspense, and a mystery!!! You should read it! :D
705pAul
Dec 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was good, like the rest of the series little Hermux the mouse running around solving things. Even if the author looks weird, he is still capable of writing a decent book.I recommend this book to people that like little rodents and detective shows.

not bad, mr Hoeye :-()
  • Pure Dead Wicked (Pure Dead, #2)
  • Jane on Her Own (Catwings, #4)
  • Perloo The Bold
  • Dreadful Acts (The Eddie Dickens Trilogy, #2)
  • Journal Secret Du Petit Poucet
  • Toot & Puddle: Top of the World
  • The Hidden Doors (Explorer, #3)
  • Beyond the Shroud (Karazan Quartet, #2)
  • The Lost Realm (The Chronicles Of Fantasy Kingdom #1)
  • The Mouse of Amherst: A Tale of Young Readers
  • The Ink Drinker
  • Mzzlmeiden
  • Het Levende Boek (De Kleine Odessa #1)
  • The High King's Daughter (Circle of Magic, #6)
  • Holding Wonder
  • The Last Guru
  • How to Disappear Completely and Never Be Found
  • Montmorency On The Rocks: Doctor, Aristocrat, Murderer? (Montmorency, #2)
Michael Hoeye has worked as a farmer, fashion photographer, stagehand and high-school teacher. He and his wife, Martha, live in a stone cottage in Oregon with their cat, Lionel. They enjoy the company of nine big oak trees, six bigger fir trees, three fat squirrels, a noisy family of woodpeckers and a travelling circus of nuthatches, blue jays, crows, finches and robins.

Michael's first novel for c
More about Michael Hoeye...

The Hermux Tantamoq Adventures (4 books)
  • Time Stops for No Mouse (The Hermux Tantamoq Adventures, #1)
  • No Time Like Show Time (The Hermux Tantamoq Adventures, #3)
  • Time to Smell the Roses (The Hermux Tantamoq Adventures, #4)