Start by marking “A Bigger Life (Eden Plain Series #1)” as Want to Read:
A Bigger Life (Eden Plain Series #1)

A Bigger Life (Eden Plain Series #1)

3.75  ·  Rating details ·  87 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
Joel has made some choices he now regrets. Just when he thinks the worst is behind him, he realizes he is facing his biggest challenge yet. And in the midst of tragedy, he learns forgiveness is more important in life than freedom.
Published January 15th 2007 by NavPress (first published January 3rd 2007)

To ask other readers questions about A Bigger Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Bigger Life

Madilyn
May 25, 2010 rated it really liked it
I thought this was a really good book. Bittersweet but fairly good. Just an honest look at lives, mistakes, love, and sickness. I thought it was nice to read from the man's point of view.
Martic
Aug 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
The first part of the way thropugh the story I thought, "This author got it all wrong. It's just a series of vignettes about a divorced dad, his friends and his son." Yet, something kept me reading and by the end, I was totally dcaptivated by the love story. True love. Well done.
Brenda
May 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Very sweet, sad and happy book. I liked all the characters and will look for other books in the series.
Jane
Feb 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I felt like I was a part of the characters listening in. It was bittersweet and very hard to read at times but the strength Joel found through all his friends was special. They showed Joel and kari God's love not just talking about it. This is what we should all do is share the kindness and mercy that God has so graciously given freely to each of us. Many people, friends invited him to church and he had lots of questions about the bad things that happened but he was shown love in action with not ...more
Colleen
Feb 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent read, couldn't put it down. Nice to read a story from a male perspective.
Jerry
Feb 28, 2014 rated it it was ok
Synopsis: Joel was once a happily married man, but one mistake shattered the lives of him, his wife, and their son. Told from Joel's perspective, this is a tale of love, loss, failures, and triumphs.

My Review: From the praise that I saw on the back cover and the front matter, I expected a lot more from this. Instead, what I got was a story that was written out of order, and resolved matters far too quickly. It was a bit harder-edged than Christian novels usually are, which may make some readers
Dawn
Sep 11, 2008 rated it it was ok
I've only read one chapter but I already know this will be irritating. The main character, in fact, all the characters are men, but the voice is female. This could be because it is a female author and the story is written very elementary. As I read it is very hard to visualize this main speaker as anything but a woman.
THe end is very hollywood. It all got rapped up in a perfect happy ending. Would have rather left it in the context of it's own story. It's ending was probably able to be covered
Lorna
Jul 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
I thought this was one of those easy read kind of books. Well it was, but on and off the story just makes you cry like a baby! Very moving writing style by annette smith. Im curious to see if any more of her books are just as good. Being that she is a hospice nurse im sure helped in some details of the story.
Tristan
Jun 20, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommended to Tristan by: Christy
I finished this book a few days ago, and it is a book I keep coming back to in my mind. I may give it a 3 1/2 to 4 star now, because it really makes you think of life and what is the most important in every day life. I did not know this was a Christian book when I picked it up, but it was refreshing to read about someone coming to find that God is in our lives even when we don't take notice.
Chelsea
Dec 10, 2007 rated it it was amazing
I devoured this book so quick. I read all afternoon and night and a little today too. Something about this author just grabbed me and made me cry several times as well. The story flowed so well. The characters were great. I look forward to reading more from Annette Smith.
Erin
Jul 12, 2010 added it
This book had me bawling by the end. As a mother of a little boy I couldn't timagine him growing up without me. I lost my mom at 25 and that was hard enough. Kari and Joel are characters that u want to know more about and get involved in their lives. I can't wait to read more of her books
Elaine
May 28, 2009 marked it as to-read
Melissa
Jul 01, 2008 rated it really liked it
Really good story about a divorced couple from a male POV. Ex-wife gets cancer.
Cws
Sep 18, 2008 added it
Shelves: adult-fiction
F Smi
Michelle Brashear
Jan 04, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Ellen
I learned that even good people make big mistakes. Taking responsibility and owning the mistake is huge.
Trish Boese
Mar 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
5* I loved this book! Such a refreshing book written from a male point-of-view.
Melissa Truluck