Start by marking “Rejoicing in Christ” as Want to Read:
Rejoicing in Christ

Rejoicing in Christ

If we want to know who God is, the best thing we can do is look at Christ. If we want to live the life to which God calls us, we look to Christ. In Jesus we see the true meaning of the love, power, wisdom, justice, peace, care and majesty of God. Michael Reeves, author of Delighting in the Trinity, opens to readers the glory and wonder of Christ, offering a bigger and more ...more
Published February 23rd 2015 by IVP Academic (first published August 23rd 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Rejoicing in Christ, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rejoicing in Christ

Start your review of Rejoicing in Christ
Douglas Wilson
Feb 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: theology
Reeves writes with zest, and is very engaging. He is steeped in Scripture, and his exploration of the basics of Christian living is really good. On top of that, he has the classic Puritan writers at his fingertips and brings them in frequently to buttress or make a glorious point. This is a very good book.
Laurie
Feb 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

-Here, then, is the revolution: for all our dreams, our dark and frightened imaginings of God, there is no God in heaven who is unlike Jesus.  For he is God. “Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father,” he says, for “I and the Father are one” (Jn 14: 9; 10: 30). God cannot be otherwise.

-Jesus is God. He does not merely unveil some truth for us, some other principle or system of thought. Like light going out from its source, this Word actually brings God to us. In him, a direct encounter with
Becky Pliego
Fantastic book. Reeves has a passion for Christ that is incredibly contagious. We need to read more books that point us to Christ and Christ alone with such intensity as Reeves does.

Micah Lugg
Nov 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Such a solid treatment of the work and person of Christ. Reeves writes densely, but if you dive deep with him, you're in for a treat. He not only instructs the mind but ignites the heart as well. Highly recommended.
Alan Mullenix
Jul 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is one worth re-reading yearly.
Mathew
May 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Get your copy today
About half way through in the margins of my copy of Rejoicing in Christ, I write “punchy, down to earth, and full of merriment.” That’s my review. Reeves surprises (meant in the most positive fashion) with equal parts verve and gladness. He’s not afraid to turn a phrase or punch you in the nose with an arresting metaphor. I found myself lost many times in worship as I read. That is rare and to be praised. Reeves has done it again.

What’s odd about Rejoicing in Christ is that Re
Demetrius Rogers
Feb 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bible-theology
I like small books. To me they tend to say more than longer books. They pack a punch with out a lot of extraneous detail. In and out. They say what they have to say, and then they sit down. And this one did that for me. Michael Reeves kept his eye on the pitch, and got his reader on base. This was a great little primer on Christology. Reeves spoke like a theologian, framed it like an historian, and sold it like a preacher. He put a lot of heart into this. His writing style was fresh, and his ide ...more
Drew Bennett
Oct 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I enjoy Michael Reeves' writing so much. There is nothing new in this book. But he has a way of saying things I already know in new ways that cause the truth to come home to my heart in a way it didn't before.
Jacob Young
Aug 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Deep. Accessible. Rich. Very edifying while being easy to understand with deep, great truths. Helped me love Jesus Christ more.
Michael Galdamez
Wow.

I thought that word more than once as I read this little book. Michael Reeves is a very accessible writer (and speaker, having heard him several times at past Ligonier conferences down in Orlando, Florida). He knows how to make grand things easy to understand and communicate why they are important for me to know. This book was no exception.

Reeves takes the book chronologically, each chapter focusing on Christ at different points in Scripture. Starting with His preexistence and ending with Hi
Ryan Hawkins
Mar 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As of right now, if I could force people to read (and believe!) one book on Jesus, it would be this one.

I recently went on a Reading Retreat where I read for a weekend just about Christ. I took this book, a couple Puritan works, and then some modern books. They each had something unique to offer (see for example my review on Mark Jones' *Knowing Christ* or Thomas Goodwin's *The Heart of Christ* or Athanasius' *On the Incarnation*—all excellent works). Out of them all, I enjoyed reading *On the I
Josiah
May 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian-living
This is one of those books that's more doxological than theological; more aimed at the heart than the head (though it does seek to achieve all of the above). It stirred my emotions as I read it, did an impressive job of presenting different truths in new glorious angles (or perhaps: revealing the angles we should be noticing on a more regular basis), and made familiar passages seem new again. Great work.

Rating: 4-4.5 Stars (Very Good).
Matt Kottman
Jun 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: theology, academia, 2018
I haven't read anything by Michael Reeves I haven't thoroughly enjoyed. In Rejoicing in Christ, Reeves drives us to find our joy and rejoicing in Christ himself, and not merely his benefits. I constantly need my eyes, mind, and heart redirected to Christ, and this book is one of those that served to redirect my worship well.
Nate  Duriga
May 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Michael Reeves has a gift for expressing the core teachings of the Christian faith succinctly and beautifully, soaked in Scripture and in tune with the history of the church. This one did not disappoint!
Michael Schmid
Not that easy but also not that long to read. A very insightful treatment of the person and work of Jesus Christ and our relationship to Him as His followers.
Brian Pate
Oct 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christology
Amazing! Reeves blends systematic, biblical, and historical theology like I’ve never seen before. Though short, this book is jammed full of rich theology to help us gaze on and enjoy the glory of Christ.

Read in preparation to teach on "Christ Alone" for youth at IBJM, Nov 2 2019.
Stephen Dick
Mar 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
The content is great, but the book would have been better if it was better organized and edited.
Ben Kreps
Sep 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite current writers. Deep theology but easily accessible. Dr. Reeves has a great sense of humor and a great heart to unfold the glories of Christ. Highly recommended.
Kyle Rapinchuk
Jul 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
In Rejoicing in Christ, Reeves does a masterful job of putting Christ as the focal point of the gospel. The gospel is not that Jesus helps us get to heaven and then disappears, but that through the work of Jesus we come to know God and share in the relationship of the Triune God. As such, we treasure Jesus above all things. Although mentioning deeper points of christological doctrine, Reeves's focus is in putting Jesus on display as our high priest, creator, etc. This approach is both theologica ...more
Peter Mead
Aug 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great introduction to Christ and the Christian life. For a newcomer to Christianity, or for a long-time follower of Jesus, this book will stir your heart and lift it toward Him. Five chapters in typical Reeves style: high energy, good momentum, great one-liners, on target historical anecdotes and lots of biblical interaction.

The fourth chapter on the Christian life is worth the price of the book, but be sure to take advantage of the rest too . . . Christ in the Old Testament, the Inca
Mark Loughridge
Aug 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think I've just read the best book I'll read in 2016!

Reeves does it again - a wonderful blend of joy giving, heart warming, heaven anticipating, Christ delighting rich theology. This is a must read. Too often our hearts grow cold, if we read more books like this, or more writers wrote with this heartwarming passion, our love for Christ would fan into flames.

Reeves oozes enthusiasm, and communicates great theology with ease and warmth. He shows connections in parts of scripture I didn't realise
Mark Loughridge
Dec 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I think I've just read the best book I'll read in 2016!

David
Aug 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reading Mike Reeves describe the sweetness of Christ with such glee is like listening to a child tell their story of going to a candy shop. It brings a smile to your face and you want to join them in their delight. Except in this case the sweet taste that we joyfully delight in with Reeves is free, completely satisfying, and you can never have too much.
Drew Miller
Jun 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I have only read one other book, Richard Sibbes "The Bruised Reed" that increased my affections for Jesus as much as Rejoicing in Christ has. This book has been most refreshing to my soul as it took my eyes off of me and placed them on Christ. ...more
Brittany
Sep 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Every Christian should read and re-read this book. I'm coming away from it with a deeper affection, devotion, and passion for Christ. Weaving together history, art, scripture, and humor, Mr. Reeves effectively, pastorally, and delightfully presents the Center and Life of our faith in all His glory.
BJ
Jun 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is such a life-giving book. Outstanding.

Reeves' pen beams with the beauty of Jesus. Read it and drench your soul with joy by looking away from yourself and at the Son of God.
Wagner Floriani
Nov 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Simply a fantastic read. Theologically deep, yet devotionally rich. Cannot recommend it enough!
Philip Taylor
Sep 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fine overview of the Christian life. Just read everything Michael Reeves has published.
Lauren
Jul 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is so good.

I just... arr. It's good.

It swiftly steps through all of time and space (beginning before there was any) and points out aspects of who Christ is, what he was or is or will be doing and how this transforms life. A small book, and "easy" to read... it still takes a while to get through because each heading will send your head spinning into reflection.

"In the beginning" looks at the time before the incarnation, Jesus before creation, at creation and through the old testament,
Matthew
Feb 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: theology
Michael Reeves is quickly becoming one of my favorite writers. He writes with an engaging, and at times humorous, style that keeps the reader enthralled about a subject that doesn't often enthrall: theology.

Peppering the text with artwork about Christ from cover to cover, he does more than this: he immerses this book with Scripture and with quotes from the faithful from all parts of church history. One cannot help but walking away from this book with a great appreciation and, shall I say, love f
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Gentle and Lowly: The Heart of Christ for Sinners and Sufferers
  • Confronting Christianity: 12 Hard Questions for the World's Largest Religion
  • Coronavirus and Christ
  • One with Christ: An Evangelical Theology of Salvation
  • The Whole Christ: Legalism, Antinomianism, and Gospel Assurance—Why the Marrow Controversy Still Matters
  • On the Road with Saint Augustine: A Real-World Spirituality for Restless Hearts
  • Disruptive Witness
  • Reset: Living a Grace-Paced Life in a Burnout Culture
  • The Gospel Comes with a House Key
  • Competing Spectacles: Treasuring Christ in the Media Age
  • Golden Booklet of the True Christian Life
  • Spirit and Sacrament: An Invitation to Eucharismatic Worship
  • The Gospel-Driven Church: Uniting Church Growth Dreams with the Metrics of Grace
  • The Possibility of Prayer: Finding Stillness with God in a Restless World
  • Discipling: How to Help Others Follow Jesus
  • The Common Rule: Habits of Purpose for an Age of Distraction
  • On the Incarnation
  • The Hole in Our Holiness: Filling the Gap between Gospel Passion and the Pursuit of Godliness
He is also theological advisor for Universities and Colleges Christian Fellowship (UCCF), a charity supporting evangelism in higher education throughout the United Kingdom. He was previously associate minister at All Souls Church, Langham Place and holds a doctorate in systematic theology from King’s College London.