Start by marking “The Physics of Christmas: From the Aerodynamics of Reindeer to the Thermodynamics of Turkey” as Want to Read:

CAN REINDEER FLY? WHY IS SANTA CLAUS FAT? COULD SCIENTISTS CLONE THE PERFECT CHRISTMAS TREE? WAS THE STAR OF BETHLEHEM REALLY A COMET? WHY IS RUDOLPH'S NOSE RED? HOW DOES SANTA MANAGE TO DELIVER PRESENTS TO AN ESTIMATED 842 MILLION HOUSEHOLDS IN A SINGLE NIGHT? WHAT COULD WE DO TO GUARANTEE A WHITE CHRISTMAS EVERY YEAR? These are among the questions explored in an ...more
Published November 1st 1999 by Back Bay Books (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Physics of Christmas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Physics of Christmas

Start your review of The Physics of Christmas: From the Aerodynamics of Reindeer to the Thermodynamics of Turkey
Sergey Sabol-Pulling
Feb 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
I liked the book because it went into depth about topics that I wouldn't be able to learn about on a normal day to day basis. I enjoyed the dry humor in the book, especially in the part about thank you cards that said something about how people who send cards that make noise have no worth in society.
Dustin
Dec 18, 2007 rated it it was ok
Shelves: pop-science
Normally, the goal of a "The Science of..." book is to entertain and educate. There was lots of education, but not necessarily a lot of entertainment...

Now, its possible that since I read a lot of it while having extensive, expensive repairs done on my car's engine coolant system (for the 3rd time in as many months), I wasn't in a fully receptive, holly jolly mood. Personally, I think a little too much time was spent on some rather picayune points, which pretty much killed the enjoyment,
Jef
Dec 16, 2009 rated it liked it
Some good, like the biochemistry of food and drink. There is some stuff of questionable research like the faith-makes-you-well section.
Francesca Calarco
Dec 24, 2018 rated it it was ok
Sadly, this was not the Christmas treat I was hoping for; I got this book over a decade ago thinking it would be a fun exploration of a holiday from a scientific perspective. After finally reading it I found it to be a boring hodgepodge of mostly nonsense.

For something that is called The Physics of Christmas, physics is not really discussed in great depth until chapter 11, "Santa's Science." Instead it contains snippets of anthropology, sociology, chemistry, religious studies, history,
Lora Shouse
Dec 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book a lot. Of course, some parts were more interesting than others.

It explored all sorts of (mostly British and American) traditions in great detail. It was not at all limited to physics, but also took in the history, chemistry, and biology of various aspects of Christmas. The history reminded me of the little book I read for my Christmas book the year before last – 4000 Years of Christmas, but this author emphasized different aspects of the many pre-Christian myths that have
Vanessa
Dec 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A collection of short speculative essays about the outstanding components of the Christmas celebration . Excellent bibliography . And not as full of postmodern irony as expected . Good demystifying research of holiday nostalgia but the familiarity does not breed contempt in this case . The index is an added referential bonus . Santa's delivery challenge ( p242 ) was the only part of the book I could not understand . Nice .
T. Finley
Dec 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book covers a lot of material, but does so in a way that is accessible to the average reader, for the most part. There were a few places where the science explanations were a little harder to understand. Personally, I thought a portion of the chapter titled Christmas Spirit where the author discusses efforts to recreate ancient Egyptian brewing techniques was particularly interesting.
Did I like it? Yes.
Would I reread it? Maybe.
Would I recommend it? Yes.
Annika
Jun 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Perfectly geeky, a good book to keep near the commode for leisurely, come n go reading. Anything you may have ever wondered about Christmas in its most science-y explanation available. Oh, snow, the Bethlehem star, why Santa is fat, why Rudolph is likely a female, Christmas smells....all things holiday, explained.
Phil
Dec 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Great idea and a workman like book, dragged down by the magazine article style.
Vince  Quackenbush
Dec 11, 2018 rated it liked it
It started out good, then wandered. My borrowing expired before I finished, so I finished on Epiphany. Did my Xmas duty. Not just about physics. Meh.
Chris Batchelor
Oct 02, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've always been curious behind the science of Christmas, so this book was supposedly up my alley. However, once I opened it's cover (at first I had it in paperback form), I thought it was too hard to read - it was too large and bulky to handle and I just didn't have the time to read it. However, then came along the purchase of all my Amazon Kindles - first, it was a Kindle Keyboard, then it was a Kindle Fire, then a Fire HD and even later an HDX and finally up to five years ago, I started to ...more
Tom Schulte
Dec 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science
i obtained this a few Xmases ago, but put off reading it thinking it would be cheesy. it is actually quite good and the author puts off the most ridiculous topics like mach 6500 santa and flying quadrapeds for the final two chapters. before that is much science and most not physics. "The Science of Christmas" would be a more appropriate title. this includes the chemistry of cooking, brewing and its medical effects and much history including the role Coca-Cola had in shaping the appearance of ...more
White
Aug 31, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This book is, literally the most entertaining physics book I have ever read. This was actually a gift for my son when he was into the space program hype a few years back. But I had to read it so I borrowed it and asked him if I could put it on my shelf of books in the physics section. He gladly obliged.

This is the physics of Christmas. From weather and the chrystal formation of snow to how it is, after all, possible for reindeer to fly to the time warp of gravitational power that could really
Regina
Nov 26, 2012 rated it it was ok
While reading, I thought this book was misnamed, and should have been titled: The Chemistry of Christmas. When I got to the last page, I understood why; the author has a PhD in Chemistry. He referred to other books I have enjoyed with similar titles of "The Science of _____" but this book is not at all as informative or interesting.

The author does break down complex scientific phenomenon into understandable layperson's language, but it then becomes boring. In addition, he gives a one-sided view
Ladonda
Sep 18, 2015 rated it it was ok
If you are a science geek, this book is for you. However, I don't fall into that category. While it was interesting reading about the first Christmas card, why Rudolf's nose is red, speculation on what exactly was the star the wise men followed and how the abbreviation Xmas came about, the deal associated with how our bodies metabolize alcohol at a cellular level and all the formulas to show exactly how Santa could deliver so many gifts to all those houses in one night just gave me a brain ...more
Catherine Thompson
Fascinating... this is the third time I've read this book, and it still fascinates me. The chemistry and thermodynamics of the simple act of cooking a turkey... how alcohol takes its toll on the body... and best of all, how Santa gets to all those chimneys in one night by using quantum mechanics, quantum physics, and possibly even bioengineering! The science is solid, if the subject is ethereal. Great fun!
Holden Attradies
Dec 23, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, science
I enjoyed the book but felt that it could have been better written. My biggest complaint was that a lot of what was written was written in very repetitive manners, although I assume that comes from this book being based on the authors long history of science writing.

The science writing it self was also pretty hit or miss. At times it was really entertaining and easy to follow and at other times it felt very dry and hard to follow, almost like reading two different authors writing.
Wes
Apr 24, 2012 rated it it was ok
I want to stress that two stars means "It was OK." The subject should have led to a more "fun" read, (I can only imagine what Bill Bryson would have done with this,) but this was a pretty dry book. I learned quite a few things, but I probably spent years picking this up when I didn't have anything else to read and then putting it down again. So yeah, just ok.
Mickey
Nov 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a good book. It was informative, well-written and entertaining. My favorite part was discussing the search for the "Bethlehem Star". The section on snowflakes was also very good. I liked the variety of topics. It seemed like we went through every possible branch of science and some of the so-called soft sciences as well. This would make a great gift for science lovers.
Celest
Aug 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was a somewhat dry read insections, but utterly fascinating overall. The title misleads one into thinking this was a physics book, but there are a broad array of scientific fields represented here.
Ellis
Dec 21, 2007 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, science
This book is full of a bunch of "gee-whiz" facts related to Christmas. Some of it is pretty interesting some of it not. I was really happy when, after three years of half hearted reading at Christmastime, I finished it.
Sfahrney
Jan 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
An interesting overview of various symbols and associations with Christmas. Using physics, logic, science and history to learn about traditional customs from a different perspective. I enjoyed the read.
Kaethe Douglas
Jul 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction, science, xmas
It's fun with physics. I love this sort of thing, especially when it is holiday-themed. Plus, it makes a nice change from all the holiday books telling you to do more, or to do less, although I also like those.
Gofita
The first few chapters were fun and enlightening. The whole book is a bit of whimsy, actually. But Highfield obviously had a lot of fun writing and researching this book. But I don't know if you can really call it science. Not my favorite but a good holiday read.
Abraham Ray
Feb 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Joann
Jan 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
For any science geek - I recommend.
Rosa
Dec 25, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: read during thanksgiving and the month of december.
Borrowed this book from the public library. Very interesting to read and it is good to read just to get in the thanksgiving and christmas season.
Michael
Feb 29, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: geeks
Thanks to this book, I now understand the relationship between Santa Claus, flying reindeer, and the hallucinogens in fly agaric mushrooms.
Dan
Jan 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
A slight misnomer since it also goes into chemistry, sociology, and biology. A fun and interesting book however.
Derek
Dec 20, 2010 rated it liked it
Read the first half of it (more or less) this year. Will read the rest of it next holiday season.

• Unbearable Lightness: A Story of Loss and Gain
  • A Series of Unfortunate Events Box: The Complete Wreck (Books 1-13)
  • The Triumph of Seeds: How Grains, Nuts, Kernels, Pulses, and Pips Conquered the Plant Kingdom and Shaped Human History
  • Quackery: A Brief History of the Worst Ways to Cure Everything
  • A Thousand Naked Strangers: A Paramedic's Wild Ride to the Edge and Back
  • This Book Is Overdue!: How Librarians and Cybrarians Can Save Us All
  • Chase Darkness with Me: How One True-Crime Writer Started Solving Murders
  • The Drunkard's Walk: How Randomness Rules Our Lives
  • Our Native Bees: North America’s Endangered Pollinators and the Fight to Save Them
  • Atlantic: Great Sea Battles, Heroic Discoveries, Titanic Storms & a Vast Ocean of a Million Stories
  • Lingo: A Language Spotter's Guide to Europe
  • Sugar: A Bittersweet History
  • Finding Chika: A Little Girl, an Earthquake, and the Making of a Family
  • Dinosaurs Without Bones: Dinosaur Lives Revealed by their Trace Fossils
  • Here is Where: Discovering America's Great Forgotten History
  • Demon Fish: Travels Through the Hidden World of Sharks
  • Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World
  • I Contain Multitudes: The Microbes Within Us and a Grander View of Life
Roger Ronald Highfield (born 1958 in Griffithstown, Wales) is an author, science journalist, broadcaster and director of external affairs at the Science Museum Group.
“Retailers use various strategies, policies, and procedures in timing their markdowns of Christmas merchandise, adds Dale Lewison of the University of Akron. “Some retailers start taking small and early markdowns before Thanksgiving, while others wait until after the weekend following Thanksgiving —the biggest shopping weekend of the year. Still other retailers wait longer to mark down merchandise.” 0 likes
“some researchers have found that eating resin or oil from Commiphora or guggulu, lowers blood cholesterol levels. Chinese scientists have discovered that C. myrrha can reduce the development of arteriosclerosis —hardening of the arteries —in animals.” 0 likes