Start by marking “Beyond the Gloaming (Sebastian and the Hibernauts #1)” as Want to Read:
Beyond the Gloaming (Sebastian and the Hibernauts #1)

Beyond the Gloaming

(Sebastian and the Hibernauts #1)

It is Easter, 1973 and twelve year old Sebastian Duffy has some serious self-esteem issues. He is beaten by his parents, bullied at school, steals from his friends and still mourning the death of his brother. To cap it all, strange things have begun happening around him and he is finding it hard to distinguish dreams from reality. After a nightmarish assault, he wakes in t ...more
Published October 1st 2014 by Phantasm

To ask other readers questions about Beyond the Gloaming, please sign up.
Linde's Hofje i'm also delayed! :) hope you cope with your dad's passed away..
i'm also delayed! :) hope you cope with your dad's passed away..
i daughter i read her your previeuw of your bokk and she loves it! she is 10 en just learning englisch at school :)
(less)

Lin
Nov 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Disclaimer: This book was given to me by the author for free in exchange for an honest review, in no way my opinion about the book was affected by this. I judge the books only not the authors.

You can find the full post on my link text
The Review

This book was soo good! It reminded me of The Lord of the rings in a way and god knows I love those movies (I still have to read the books guilty…)

It was soo good that during the whole read I could picture every scene, every conversation as if it was happ
Kurt Schuett
Oct 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-stars, fantasy
Beyond the Gloaming (Book One of Sebastian and the Hibernauts)
By Brendan Murphy

"Harry Potter, watch out...this young wizard swings a shillelagh instead of a wand!"

This epic work of fantasy opens up in Sheffield, England, 1973, with the reader becoming acquainted with Sebastian, a twelve-year-old compulsive dreamer who wears the label of shanty Irish. Like most children with overactive imaginations, our protagonist Sebastian dreams of “flying, treasure hunts, and magical lands with amazing creatu
Melanie
Nov 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
From the summary, we learn that Sebastian is beaten by his parents and bullied at school. I wasn't prepared for how much it hurt me to read it happening. I felt so sad that he had nowhere safe to go. There wasn't even a teacher at school that was particularly nice to him. When something really awful happens to him, he's able to enter the Gloaming, a world he's been dreaming about.

This is a book where a lot happens. There's some great world building with lots of characters and creatures introduc
Pani Books
Mar 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Beyond the gloaming. One of the books I liked the most. Let me tell you. 1973 and you feel every little detail in the book, like if you were there. You connect with the character and also with this amazing world the author created. Sebastian remember me that he was a normal person. With some actions make me laugh and with others I thought he was a God.

I think, everyone who read this book, and want to have fun, maybe read it to them children... are going to love this book, as much as I did.
Also
Brianna
Oct 25, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shefali
Sep 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What a fantastical world Brendan Murphy creates! 'Beyond the Gloaming' is a book that can be enjoyed by readers of all ages. A book that transports you into a mystical land of wizardry and magical beasts, a world of pure undiluted imagination as perceived by the protagonist of the book, Sebastian, a little boy already discontented with the world where nothing but sorrows await him each moment. We see this boy broken by the indifference of his parents (what with them beating him relentlessly) and ...more
Enci
Dec 01, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2016
I received an ebook copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I kind of went into this book dark, not knowing what to expect and I was brought on this really cool adventure into an extremely unique world that I was so happy to dive into.

That was what really stuck with me throughout the entire book and what really got me reading more. The world.

It's a completely new and original idea that is based on the idea of special people creating a completely new world with their dreams. Every cult
Alicia Allen
Mar 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
By far, my favorite books are ones that are full of fantasy, adventure, and wonder-
The Neverending Story
Chronicles of Narnia
Lord of the Rings
The Hobbit
Harry Potter
Sister's Grimm
Game of Thrones
Dwarves
All of these books not only have fantasy, adventure, and wonder, but they also give the reader an experience that only comes with having an open mind and vivid imagination. These types of books are for dreamers. The created world's are drafted so well that sometimes you can almost forget that they l
May 舞
Aug 01, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
Well, I'm at a loss for words.
On the one hand, the premise of "Beyond the Gloaming" is very interesting; a young boy whose life has dealt him blow after blow escapes into the world of dreams, which turns out to be Hibercadia, a magical realm crafted from Celtic dreams. With a myriad of beings, like the Fir Bolg, the Tuath, and the Milesians, the world of Hibercadia -and its history- is enchanting and captivating.

However, from the very beginning the character of Sebastian, instead of sounding li
Sandy
Jul 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I am thoroughly invested in this story!! The descriptions completely immersed me into Sebastian’s life.

This is a real dream world in desperate need of being saved by the Chosen One.

When Sebastian is awake, his life is torment. When he falls asleep, he is the master of his dreams. His brother is no longer able to save Sebastian from his jailors. He feels utterly alone. Unbeknownst to him, Sebastian has never been alone.

This story is that of a coin. Heads or tails. Black or white. Awake or aslee
Staci
Jun 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Brendan Murphy has created a fantastic work of fiction. His magical world, where Sebastian is able to escape to in his dreams, is full of Celtic folklore. It's a place where he is no longer bullied by classmates, teachers, and even his own parents.

This magical world is a place between the realms of Earth and Hibercadia. This world he is transported to as refuge from his reality is called the Gloaming. Hibercadia was created by dreams of the Celts. Sebastian soon discovers that Hibercadia is in
Charlotte Bergsland
May 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
I got to read this book for free in exchange for an honest review, and I'm so happy! Since this is an honest review, it's not in anyway affected by anything else than my thoughts and opinions.

I just love the Harry Potter series, and if you do to this is a book I would highly recommend! It's a fantasy book that is told from the view of a twelve year old boy. And I feel like the author managed to make it so real! The details made it so vivid, I sometimes felt like I was watching a movie when I rea
Olesya
May 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
This long story of a child traveling to Hibercadia - the imaginary country, while being in a coma in the real world. Everything that happens to him in a real life, such as bullying, beating by his mother, low self-esteem etc., - all this brings him to be very useful in the other world. Showing that our life helps us to take the best out of it and apply in a place where we love to be and to activity, we love to do. All the thoughts of Sebastian remind us about our everyday life and help rethink i ...more
Harrison
May 28, 2018 rated it liked it
The characters are fun, the enemy incredibly powerful and tantalizingly vague, the fantasy world complex, detailed, and intriguing. The various dialects keep the dialogue fresh, combined with the smattering of Gaelic words.

There are, however, two major flaws with the story.
First, the main character has little development. His single flaw (at least in his mind) is a lack of courage, but this is only exploited in the first half of the book.
Second, because of the minuscule character development, th
Valorie Parker
Jul 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I found “Beyond the Gloaming” to be enchanting and burning with excitement, from the first page. I am awestruck by Mr Murphy’s brilliant and creative mind. He expertly managed to pack an entire world in to what seemed a few pages, omitting nothing. This book is so full of energy that it just sucks the reader in and doesn’t let go.
I did find the book to end quite abruptly though, that was a huge disappointment but overall, it was brilliantly written. I would encourage children to read this book.
Jessica DeJong
Apr 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Beyond the Gloaming is an interesting and unique read. It's one of the first books I've ever read about Celtic mythology, and it certainly didn't disappoint. I've learned lots about Celtic history.
The book is rather dream-like, which is fitting since it's about a boy who finds solace in his own dreams and ends up pretty much stepping right into them, finding out this world is not so imaginary after all. Overall, I quite enjoyed it.
Francie
Sep 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Beyond the Gloaming was a wonderful story about a boy's adventure in another realm. I loved the old Celtic myths and creatures put in a different light and perspective. I want to be a Hibernaut! I loved the toy store and fire work best of all!!!! I can't wait to read more! I would love an acorn beer!
Tiffany Oim
Jul 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Disclaimer: I was given this book in exchange for an honest review.

It was an interesting read. A found a few point in it to be way too real for me. But there were some interesting points in the story as well. Although I didn't really like the book. I think someone else would love it. So I'd recommend this to someone who wants something completely different to read.
Kirty Shakthawatt
Mar 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Beyond the gloaming- Sebastian and the Hibernauts
1973 Sheffield, England.
The story commences with a dream of a 12 year old compulsive dreamer, Sebastian Duffy. His life is nothing but harrowing episodes of tyranny and bullying by his parents and his peers, with no real friends and his only brother dead he finds it difficult to face the music and constantly fades out into the world of dreams. Of late, he can't differ his dreamworld and reality as they confluence more often, eventually he is spiri
Ella
Apr 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: sci fi lovers, court intrigue lovers, and quest lovers.
I received Beyond the Gloaming (Sebastian and the Hibernauts #1) by Brendan Murphy in exchange for an honest review.

Imagination and an author's need for readers to suspend their belief of the obvious are some of the things I love about fiction. Beyond The Gloaming by Brendan Murphy is complicated yet easy to follow. With a good flow between scenes, this very creative story starts with a glimpse at a young boys life. Twelve-year-old Sebastian Duffy has physically and emotionally abusive parents, and, friends who are too small to protect him from school bullies. Th
Brittany Thibodeaux
Dec 13, 2015 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Adult fantasy readers
Introduction
We’re introduced immediately to one of Sebastian’s dreams, an appropriate beginning to a fantasy land of Celtic dreams. Sebastian Duffy, a twelve year-old Irish transplant in 1973 Sheffield, England is the main character. His waking world is filled with abuse, both emotional and physical, from his peers and parents. At times Sebastian has the characteristics of a child: his moods ebb and flow from sadness to glee at the drop of a hat. Other times he shows an insight that few children
Kelly Norris
Feb 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I would like to invite you on a journey into the past filled with Celtic folklore and mysticism, magic and adventure to a wonderful place called Hibercadia.

Right from the start you are pulled into the life of Sebastian Duffy, a 12yr old boy from Sheffield who has already experienced horrific sadness in his young life while dealing with a less than idyllic home life. You will start to feel affection for this boy, don't fight it it's useless.

Hibercadia in my opinion is almost like an Irish Narnia
Little Bee
Mar 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Rating: 4 stars

I have received this book by the author in exchange for my honest review.

I first want to start off saying, I deeply apologize for it taking so long to get this review. Between traveling for Christmas, my internship, homework, work, and the flu, I have lacked any reviews. But! I am done with my internship and now have some free time to do those things I enjoy!

Beyond the Gloaming is about a boy named Sebastian who is a very lucid dreamer, only his dreams are real and he doesn't oft
Wulfwyn
Sep 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is an amazing read! I started off reading it myself but then realized how much children would love it. So I stated over with an audience of children, the youngest 3 and oldest 9.

Because the book starts of a bit dark with bullying and child abuse I did a lot of thinking before deciding to read it aloud. I worried it may be too much for the children. However, sadly, both those things are reality. I think it is better to be honest and open about them. Hiding them away prevents open discussion
Sher A. Hart
Nov 28, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: my-reviews
I loved the ideas and the world, richly imagined. The Gloaming as a place was interesting enough, but Hibercadia was amazing in its intricate detail involving the mythology of multiple cultures. Both kids and adults will get an enjoyable education or reminders of old things near forgotten in recent history.

The plot and story structure worked well, at least, through the majority of the book. From the inciting incident involving bullying to point of no return, I felt Sebastian’s despair. He’s the
Rachel
Apr 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sebastian is a boy of 12-13. He's bullied at school and beaten at home. He's suffered the loss of his older brother. He's an ethnic minority (Irish, in England) and not liked by his teachers. So he hasn't got much going for him. He does have a very rich dream life, though, and that turns out to be his gift.

Hibercadia is a world manifested by human dreams. There are countless mystical creatures there, including leprechauns, ghosts, and Greek gods, as well as lots of others I'd never heard of. Seb
Ciara Ryan
Oct 05, 2016 rated it liked it
I got this book for free in exchange for an honest review.

In all honesty I'm in two minds about this book; half of me is in love with this world and the other half wouldn't say no to a paracetamol.

The story itself was great, almost like Alice in Wonderland with a 'normal' child from our world entering a new one and changing lives. The fact that the main character was of Irish descent helped my interest for personal reasons and the accents/mannerisms of some of the characters added a realistic un
Billy Buttons
Aug 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book was entered and was a FINALIST in The Wishing Shelf Book Awards. This is what our readers thought:

Title: Beyond the Gloaming
Cover 9/10
Plot 9/10
Total 35/40
Of the 28 readers:
27 would read another book by this author.
19 thought the setting was the best part of the book.
9 felt the plot was the best part of the book.
2 thought the author’s no.1 skill was ‘building suspense’.
26 thought the cover was go
Amy
Jan 22, 2015 rated it liked it
Three stars for the effort it took to pull the whole thing together. The writer includes extensive depth from Irish and British history and lore. Marginal world-building but not much was needed with that backdrop already in place.

Didn't get four because it should have been edited down from 359 pages to 250. The pace of the story and it's organization were lacking and 75% of the book went into setting up a focus for the reader that was distracted by other action in the storyline, resulting in an
Lisa
Feb 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Thank you to the author for providing a copy of this amazing book in exchange for an honest review
(this is just a snippet full review to come)
I definitely agree the some of the other reviews. I hated reading and feeling it when he talks about being beaten but in a way I did enjoy it because it just shows what a great writer Brendan Murphy is.

Gripping from start to finish I cannot wait to see what he has to offer up next
  • For Love and Country (Horstberg Saga Book 3)
  • Unstrung
  • The Sending (Senitha's Light, #1)
  • The Secret Bliss of Calliope Ipswich (Three Little Girls Dressed in Blue #2)
  • A Different Kind of Safari
  • The Vengeance Squad Goes To England
  • Frankie Dupont And The Mystery Of Enderby Manor
  • Fall Into You Part Two
  • Finding Fuzzy: a You-Decide Tale of a Lost Friend
  • Being Light
  • Jubilee's Journey (Wyattsville, #2)
  • Isabella Babysits Baxter
  • Lobo's Howliday (The Adventures of Lovable Lobo, #4)
  • The Secret Sisters Club (Ginnie West Adventures, #1)
  • Santa's Birthday Gift
  • Factions: Coup d'Etat
  • Ten Thankful Turkeys
  • Good-Bye, Baby Max
Brendan Murphy has scribbled something down every day since he was nine years old. After reading medicine in London and psychiatry in Manchester, he moved to Australia in 1999. He is an Associate Professor at Monash University, writes widely on youth mental health, has published a book on the history of football (From Sheffield with Love, 2007), and is a columnist for Aontacht Magazine. He lives w ...more

Sebastian and the Hibernauts (2 books)
  • The Traitor's Trap (Sebastian and the Hibernauts #2)